Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Potentially unfortunate ski resort name mix-ups

Poster: A snowHead
A bit of "the other way round", years ago when a friend broke his leg skiing near Selva he was stretchered down the mountain and loaded into an ambulance, and we were told that we could catch up with him at the hospital in Brixen, down in the valley. We got ourselves and all his kit back to our apartment and looked at the road atlas to find where the hospital was - and there was absolutely nowhere called Brixen on the map. It took a while until we remembered that the Bressanone on the map was actually Brixen. Even when we phoned his insurance company they initially refused to believe that "Krankenhaus Brixen" would be on their list of Italian hospitals.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Hurtle, yes, Belgium has the French and Flemish names such as Brugge and Bruges. The Dolomites can be even worse with 3 names for many of the towns. One that confuses me in particular is when people call Wolkenstein Selva, where to me Selva is Selva di Cadore.

My maps have all the original German names so I know where Brixen is but not whatever the Italian name is
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DB wrote:
Obertauern vs Obertraun in Austria.

Annaberg in Lower Austria vs Annaberg / Dachstein West in Upper Austria

A fairly common mistake Laughing

We had a Dutch guest booking, several years ago, who mistook Ischgl for Bad Ischl….clearly a lot cheaper… rolling eyes Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Aoste, cute little Franco-Italian mountain town under le Mont Blanc
Aoste - desolate windswept village on the Isere steppe with an industrial pig slaughtering factory

Top tip: don't ever buy Jambon d'Aoste in a French supermarket.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 2-03-23 18:12; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Cacciatore, which was the cheaper¿ The ski resort or the spa town where Franz Joseph was at the start of WW1
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wänk, Bavaria confused with err....
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This dude ended up on the wrong continent, in the wrong hemisphere.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/feb/03/sydney-australia-montana-flight-mixup
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11716069/Traveller-flies-Sidney-Montana-instead-Sydney-Australia-confusing-airport-names.html
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I met a group of lads at Snowbombing many years ago who were driving to Mayrhofen in Austria, unintentionally via some small village in Czech Republic with a very similar name.
Apparently they were well into central Germany before they realised how many 100's of km's off route their Sat Nav error had taken them.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Not ski related, but on a motorbike holiday with some mates we left the Mosel valley heading for the Nuremberg ring, got about halfway before we realised it (Nurbergring) was only a couple of miles from where we started!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ah yes, Les Arcs and La Plagne. We've not booked accidentally at either, but I was confused when I was googlemapping the journeys from Calais to see how long they take whilst researching.

Eventually booked our accommodation via VRBO, and did actually check on the accommodation map on there that I was in the right place.

Now to make sure we put the right one into the sat nav upon arrival in Calais... might just stick Bourg-St-Maurice in there instead.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Owlette, Put Arc1600 in instead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Vars - in the Hautes Alpes
Varces (almost the same pronounciation) - a prison complex near Grenoble, ok at least you can see the alps from your cell window.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stevomcd wrote:
I hear people say "Bourg Saint Moritz" quite a lot.... rolling eyes

But I have also seen confused (with more unfortunate consequences):

Les Arcs - Large ski resort in the French Alps
Les Arcs - Small beach resort on the med coast

As well as:

Geneva - Gateway airport to much of the Alps
Genoa - Not so much....

Don’t worry, one of those people was suitably rewarded at our annual Christmas dinner.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A relatively common mistake is mixing up Sankt Anton im Arlberg and (about 20 kms westwards) Sankt Anton im Montafon in Vorarlberg. The latter is actually on the edge of my local (& very underrated) Montafon ski area but is emphatically not part of the Arlberg area. To add to the confusion both Sankt Antons lie on direct train lines ca 25 mins from Bludenz..!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Oje

Sankt am (gar nicht “im”) Arlberg ..
latest report
Sankt Anton am Arlberg: Sankt Anton im Montafon..
latest report
It took me a while to clearly distinguish Val Thorens from Val d'Isère in my mind when I first started skiing. I think it's because they're both very popular with Brits so I'd often hear friends/colleagues say they'd been to one or other. And without knowing anything about them, all my brain would register was Val duh-duh. As in they both have the same three consonant rhythm when said out loud and I had no reference point I could use to distinguish them.
snow report
Not exactly a ski resort confusion, but when The Guildford Ski Slope was called Christ's College Ski Club, we had several customers get us confused with Christchurch Ski slope.
ski holidays
Whitegoldsbrother wrote:
I drove through Garmisch the other day and there were signs everywhere saying "Wank Tunnel Jezt for unsere kinder" (We need a Wank Tunnel now for our children)

Ahh here we are:

I was on the Eurostar once and one kiddie was leaning over the chair telling another behind him that they were going to Lapland.
"La Plagne, darling" corrected his Mother.
ski holidays
A mate picked up a car in GVA to come and stay with us. He entered Morzine into the satnav, then picked at random the first of the following options - "Centre Sportif". Turns out the closest sports-centre to Morzine is in Chamonix Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
karin wrote:
Not exactly a ski resort confusion, but when The Guildford Ski Slope was called Christ's College Ski Club, we had several customers get us confused with Christchurch Ski slope.

There's a fair distance between those two!
latest report
johnE wrote:
@Cacciatore, which was the cheaper¿ The ski resort or the spa town where Franz Joseph was at the start of WW1

Ischgl was more expensive!

Franz Joseph also signed the Declaration of War against Serbia (which started WW1), from his study at the Kaiser Villa in Bad Ischl. Rumour also has it that Edward VIi taught Franz Josef to drive here, too!

Apologies for thread drift!
ski holidays
Alta (US), Alta Pusteria (It), Altenmarkt (Au)
Morgins (Sw), Morzine (Fr). Both in PdS
Mount Hothman (Oz), Mount Hurt (NZ)
Isella (It), Isola (Fr)
St Jean d'Arves, St Jean d'Aulps (both Fr)
St Christoph (Au), St Christope-en-Oisans (Fr)
Samoens (Fr), Samnaun (Sw)
El Colorado (Chile), Colorado (US)
San Martino, San Martino di Castrozza (both It)
Hinterthal, Hinterux, Hintermoos (all Au)
Stuben, Stubaital (both Au)
Zell am See, Zell am Ziller (both Au)
Villard-de-Lans, Villard-Reculas, Villaroger (all Fr), Villars (Sw)
Sierra Nevada (Spain), Valle Nevado (Chile), Nevada (US)
snow conditions
@Kenzie, errr, Mt Hotham (Oz) & Mt Hutt (NZ). I can see how easy it would be to confuse those two. Laughing
ski holidays
Crans Montana, Montana (US)
latest report
knackered knees wrote:
La Plagne not La Plagne

When is La Plagne not La Plagne?

According to the 3yo in our chalet, who thought he was in Lapland!! snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
admin wrote:

I was on the Eurostar once and one kiddie was leaning over the chair telling another behind him that they were going to Lapland.

Obviously a common mistake for small children!! snowHead

Must have been a great disappointment not to meet Santa or his reindeers!! snowHead snowHead
snow report
Les Arcs and Les Arcs !!

Posted a 'squigly' line snow forecast in the Les Arcs snow report thread the other day..

Turned out that I had got the wrong Les Arcs !! :: The wrong one has no snow due ; the correct one has loads forecast snowHead snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
luigi wrote:
admin wrote:

Obviously a common mistake for small children!! snowHead

Must have been a great disappointment not to meet Santa or his reindeers!! snowHead snowHead

Reindeer. No such thing as plural reindeers. I have even heard this on the news all too frequently lately. Sad
snow conditions
admin wrote:
Whitegoldsbrother wrote:
I drove through Garmisch the other day and there were signs everywhere saying "Wank Tunnel Jezt for unsere kinder" (We need a Wank Tunnel now for our children)

Ahh here we are:

After some tiring finger work I discovered these informative websites all focused on wanktunnel https://zugspitze.de/en/Service-information/Tickets-rates/Mount-fumble
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wanktunnel
latest report
La Bresse and Bresse are very different.

Val Grenier is a ski racer rather than a resort.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy