Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

1st week april?

Poster: A snowHead
ususally go to tignes, but being twice this year so fancy a change.... am thinking high-ish and north facing..... was thinking valmorel? they have a couple of residences with a pool which we like..... never being... what do we think? and other north facing resorts, have discounted sainte foy as have being before.....
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not been to Valmoral but it is very different to Tignes . What are you looking for apart from a pool ?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nothing in particular, skiing with two young kids but they’ve skied Tignes so terrain not an issue
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I’d probably get shot down in flames but I’d say judging on the season we are having I’d be looking towards who has better snow , the east of Italy is doing well , take a look a sestiere or montageneve just over the border or even some of the Maurianne valley resorts .
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Rob Mackley, am looking for not a massive drive has maurienne being good this year? I have stayed high so far due to the dodgy weather we had earlier in season
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Rob Mackley wrote:
I’d probably get shot down in flames but I’d say judging on the season we are having I’d be looking towards who has better snow , the east of Italy is doing well , take a look a sestiere or montageneve just over the border or even some of the Maurianne valley resorts .

mainly by your geography teacher... Laughing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ajc2260626 wrote:
@Rob Mackley, am looking for not a massive drive has maurienne being good this year? I have stayed high so far due to the dodgy weather we had earlier in season

The Maurienne Valley has been pretty good this year especially Val Cenis and Bonneval Sur Arc and the pistes in Valfrejus had quite a dump of fresh snow last weekend with more forecast this weeK
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes rolling eyes I would be , West not east
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ajc2260626, not sure this is the year to look beyond the usual Tignes/3V/Paradiski for late season. Serre Chevalier maybe?

Or what until later in March to see if the big dump happens.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ajc2260626 wrote:

According to google maps the drive from Dover to Val Cenis is slightly longer time wise than Valmorel (about 20 minutes) but about the same distance and slightly and quicker shorter than Tignes. When I have been there in April it has been pretty good , though the actual resort runs will get soft by midday.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I wouldn't choose Valmorel. It's the furthest west of the Tarantaise resorts and is a bit remote from the others, and isn't high. The other Tarantaise resort hold their snow better.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We were in Valmorel last Easter and had a fantastic time. The village is pedestrianised (which makes life less stressful when you have young kids) and the resort itself is very family friendly. Loved the skiing and the snow gods were kind, in that we enjoyed great conditions. We’re booked to go back this Easter.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
i belive that alot of the slopes are north facing so unless it gets super warn should hold the snow?

i dont want to go west tarentaise like we usually do as i dont want the longer drive
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was very impressed with how well the slopes in Valmorel held up last Easter, which are mainly north facing as you say. If you ventured off-piste last Easter, due to the fact the resort is quiet at that time, you were able to ski untracked snow all week. Saint François Longchamp, which is the other side of The Grand Domaine doesn’t fair so well in the afternoon sun, so it’s better to hit that part of the ski area in the morning. Final win last Easter was kids got a free ski pass when bought in conjunction with an adult pass.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ajc2260626 wrote:
ususally go to tignes, but being twice this year so fancy a change.... am thinking high-ish and north facing..... was thinking valmorel? they have a couple of residences with a pool which we like..... never being... what do we think? and other north facing resorts, have discounted sainte foy as have being before.....

I'd wait a week and see what happens with the weather next week first. The picture could change dramatically next week, but there is still quite a bit of uncertainty over precipitation and also what height freezing levels will be.

But all that said, if you're used to going to Tignes and enjoy it, but just fancy a change, the obvious alternative is Val Thorens. And at 2300m, the likelihood is it'll get a big top up next week even if FL's are relatively high.
snow conditions
I’d also go to Val Thorens. Skiing across the 3V is fab and VT will still be good even if it gets warm.
latest report
ajc2260626 wrote:
i belive that alot of the slopes are north facing so unless it gets super warn should hold the snow?

i dont want to go west tarentaise like we usually do as i dont want the longer drive

In a normal year I'd agree with that - but the current lack of snow base would make me ask the question what are the slopes looking like now. How are the webcams looking?

We know that things generally warm up in March, and snow depth will start to shrink - and normally the base will have enough in hand to be able cope with that, but I'm not convinced that the levels are there this year. Valmorel looks like it has skiing between 1350m and 2400m.

Obviously things may change next week, and suddenly every where might look a lot rosier!

We're going to Belle Plagne (2050m) on the 1st April, and based on the situation now, I can't see us skiing much below 1800/1900m. Hopefully the picture changes next week!
latest report
We're booked to Valmorel for the first week of April. Had the same concerns, ultimately decided for Valmorel as there are quite a few beginners in our group. It really depends on the snowfall - especially the snowline - next week. The Big Three will be good for sure, Grand Domaine, we'll have to see, but I'm quite positive. But then again, compared to the big ones Valmorel represents a whole different price point. You can easily find a nice 2-bedroom appartment for aroud €500 and if you go as a family, they got a special spring offer valid from March 25th onwards: with every adult ski pass bought (3 days minimum) they offer a free kids pass for those under 13yo. For us this means skipass cost of €669 instead of €1510 in the 3V. Food on the mountain is much cheaper as well. They built up quite a good lift system over the last couple of years, so that's okay. Landscape is somewhat less impressive and there are no iconic runs like Bellecôte north face, Aiguille Rouge back side or the Glacier de Gébroulaz for exemple. There is very good off piste, though, much less crowded as well. In the end, nothing changes the fact that overall skiing is situated 500m metres lower.
latest report
Rob Mackley wrote:
Not been to Valmoral but it is very different to Tignes . What are you looking for apart from a pool ?

Is that near Balmoral? Puzzled Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy