Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is there anywhere with good snow (from GVA)?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all
We’ve been based in Portes du Soleil for the season (Chapelle) and some friends are visiting for a long weekend next weekend. Original plan was to head to PDS but with current snow situation we’re wondering if somewhere else is a better bet.
They fly into GVA so I guess anywhere up to 3hrs from there could be doable.
What do you reckon? Or is it poo-poo everywhere? And we should stick it out in PDS where at least we know it and accommodation is “free”.
Thanks and bon skiing
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ha! Don’t think I’ve ever said poo-poo in my life. Guess the forum autocorrected!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Am also familiar with the Swiss magic pass resorts. Wondering if somewhere like Grimentz is better conditions…
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Maybe look at Tignes, which seems to have respectable cover at the moment.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Simple answer is, only the high places, and they are now crowded because everyone else is thinking the same.

What about a relatively small resort, quite high, north facing, not well marketed to Brits or Dutch? You don’t need many kms for a long weekend. I expect someone here can suggest one.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Missy wrote:
Am also familiar with the Swiss magic pass resorts. Wondering if somewhere like Grimentz is better conditions…

I'm not there and so can't give "on the ground" assessment, but showing decent stats (certainly for this year in comparison to general sweep) of 100cm upper, 20cm lower, 21/21 lifts open from data I can see publicly available.

Aspect, altitude etc is all conducive to helping in conditions toward the season advance, journey not too far from your current either. Definitely worth consideration for you, then matching against what you've gof in front of you PdS wise.

If you've not visited Grimentz before, its certainly a welcome contrast to PdS anyway, and something to be experienced. A lovely valley to sample.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nowhere is great but Verbier is better than PdS due to height and the early snowmaking. I’d benefit from your free PdS accommodation and do a day trip (assuming you have transport). I was there yesterday and put a vid of the piste conditions in the Verbier snow report
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks. Yes we have transport. And yes I know Grimentz but (but not the Zinal side).

Just bumps up the price for my visitors to pay accommodation + Swiss lift pass prices + Swiss restaurants.

Ugh.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Verbier was nice but scratchy about 3 weeks ago… is it still the same? Will look at the video…
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Missy, well I've just seen on Facebook that it's currently snowing in Les Deux Alpes.... Very Happy

Here's a webcam link: https://www.skaping.com/les2alpes/les-lutins?archives=MTY3NzQxNjU4MA-YQ
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've been in Verbier for all of February.
I can assure you that all the pistes are in good condition...all of them.

Well I do admit that I have not been to Les Esserts so I actually can't confirm that one.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Loads of fresh snow fell in The Maurienne valley resorts yesterday and the slopes were already in good condition…approx 2hrs from Geneva so worth a look.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Missy, If its just a long weekend then with the onset of cold weather there's probably enough around to have an interesting day from La Chapelle, Panthiaz, Tour de Don, Chalet Neuf, SC, Linga, Plaine Dranse on the La Chapelle Liberty Pass. And on the Sunday, scoot over to Le Chable as its only an hour's drive. I did a couple of days early season in Verbier and there was very sketchy snow back down to Medran, but as Bob says its all good now. From my experience, Saturday is busier in Verbier than Sunday, which is wha I would do it this way round.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
La Thuile is in fairly good shape , took some snow yesterday . Just through the tunnel and all that cheap food and wine ,yum .
snow report
Missy wrote:
Verbier was nice but scratchy about 3 weeks ago… is it still the same? Will look at the video…

Looks almost half decent following the bit of fresh at the weekend

http://youtube.com/v/WnlSWZwd09Y
snow report
andmelffion wrote:
Loads of fresh snow fell in The Maurienne valley resorts yesterday and the slopes were already in good condition…approx 2hrs from Geneva so worth a look.

Agreed. I think Val Cenis got the most - about a foot higher up?
snow conditions
It seems to have snowed everywhere except PdS!!!

We are going to risk it. No pressure from my good pals, they are just pleased to hang out and visit. We will eat and drink and laugh and skid about in the patchy slush in Chatel Very Happy Most important thing is to be together.

But boy the pressure is on when you are the one organising everything eh?
snow conditions
@Missy, I think if you head up to Linga and Plaine Dranse you’ll find rather better than patchy slush.
snow conditions
This is good to hear. And how is Super Chatel?
snow conditions
Missy wrote:
This is good to hear. And how is Super Chatel?

Haven’t been other than passing through on the circuit about three weeks ago. I think Ozboy was there quite a bit over half term?
ski holidays
I was too so was hoping for a more recent update…

Have booked escale for lunch on Ozboys recommendation, just deciding whether to park at Super Chatel and have say there or park at PLJ and ski back to SC for lunch.
latest report
You are better starting SC while snow is hard in morning and head over to PD in the afternoon as SC will be slush after lunch. Use the bus from Gabalou to get to Linga if the queue looks big but should be fine on Sat as will be quiet.
snow report
Rob Mackley wrote:
La Thuile is in fairly good shape , took some snow yesterday . Just through the tunnel and all that cheap food and wine ,yum .

Courmayeur too and is even closer.

Got the coach there on Monday and Tuesday from Chamonix, where conditions were quite different.
snow report
@Missy, Wondering how you got on?
ski holidays
Oh hi. We stuck with Chatel...
Saturday we went to Super Chatel which was a fine warm up for my friends who had not skied for a few years, it was super empty. Lovely lunch at L'Escale.
Sunday we went to Plaine Dranse and was much busier. I think the very thin dusting of snow + many more people put my pals off a bit, especially after one had a bit of a fall.
So we had a boozy afternoon in Chez Crepy and just skied all the way down one last time.
Monday we headed to Bain Bleu (Spa in Geneva) - would recommend as a nice filler on the way back to the airport.

Haven't been able to get back up to the mountains since that weekend (4/5 March) but maybe this Sunday...
latest report
@Missy, The new lift at SuperChatel has completely changed the sector and makes it much more interesting now. Am a big fan of boozy lunch at Creepy - we did a 3 hour stint there last Saturday in between rainy session on the morning and the rugby. Wife is there today with her girlfriends watching the Eagle-Eye Cherry concert at Plane Dranse. The snow is currently very good and you should have a great Sunday.
ski holidays
Thanks @ozboy, your previous recommendations on my other thread helped.

We are still keen to do another season at PDS next year. As we live fairly close by it's lovely to have it on our doorstep.

Hope your wife has a great time!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy