Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resorts with great snowmaking

Poster: A snowHead
Saw that 90% of Kitzbuhel is covered and combined with not needing huge cover due to skiing on grass rather than rock would this be a decent bet for early March? Got to go somewhere!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dolomites.

I think almost all major resorts now have full snowmaking as they wouldn't be viable without it.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Most of the major Austrian and eastern Italian resorts have pretty comprehensive snowmaking. Sella Ronda areas have close to 100% for example.

Contrary to popular belief, quite a few big areas further west have nowhere near full snowmaking (there are meteorological reasons for this, but they are becoming less valid with climate change). Portes du Soleil in particular could do with a lot more. Alpe d'Huez only has 35% coverage. Three Valleys 54%, etc.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just back from Niseko in Japan and didn't notice any snow making. Percentage artificial snow covered slopes is not a good measure of quality.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@8611, Les Arcs appears to only have snow making on the popular blues and some red runs. Most of the runs have no artificial snow making.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@up4it, snowmaking doesn't count for much if its warm, or if they've used up their water reserves, both of which are possibilities. There is some snow forecast for next week which could improve things for early March, maybe wait till its actually fallen though before banking on it and booking
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@johnE, @denfinella, interesting I would have thought it was a necessity everywhere now to ensure they can always open as scheduled, even if they will probably be able to open on natural most of the time

I suspect after this season it will be
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The problem with this season hasn't so much been lack of precipitation but warm temperatures when it DID fall out of the sky, with rain to high altitude, and then lots of warm sunshine. Warm conditions make snow-making completely irrelevant, quite apart from the problem of power and water needed.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Xscape at Castleford had 100% coverage. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@pam w, yeah, I presume there are times though when it is cold enough but no precipitation and the resorts will want to maximise their chances, indeed, those that use it presumably do

I'm just wondering re the Dolomites, as I'm pretty sure I have seen them open with little to no actual snow - are we to take it that they can be close to 100% artificial snow in terms of the pistes?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
yes, loads of artificial snow in the Dolomites and very well managed. I think historically they've sometimes had quite low levels of natural precipitation, compared to the northern Alps, so it's been essential for them. I was just making the point that snowmaking won't really help resorts coping with global warming!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@pam w, not sure I quite agree that warm conditions make snowmaking irrelevant. Even in a warmer future climate there are likely to be cold spells every winter where snowmaking is possible. That then forms a solid base which can survive weeks of warm weather. As you say, this season has (since early January anyway) been notable for its dryness rather than lengthy mildness; snowmaking has definitely helped make it a lot better than it would have otherwise been.

The areas which could benefit less from snowmaking are those where warm airmasses are often more humid / rainier. Scotland being an obvious example, but also areas close to the western fringes of the Alps. Which goes some way towards explaining why French resorts tend to have less snowmaking than areas further east.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yes the Dolomites are totally reliant on snow making. I think we are a long way past the point where commercial scale snowsports can exist in the Alps without snow making.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kitzbuhel now looking good for 4/3
Good fall over the weekend and very low temps for snowmaking
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Peter S, your last point is certainly not correct. There are many, many commercial ski areas in the Alps with little or no snowmaking facilities. That's just a fact. (Though undoubtedly it is becoming more risky in most places!)
snow report
Trying to think of some ?
snow report
Of the ones I've been to (or planned to go to):

Alpe d'Huez 35% coverage
Praz de Lys-Sommand 30%
Bernex 30%
Bonneval sur Arc 25%
Les Deux Alpes 15%
Lans en Vercors - only the baby slopes
Areas in the Bauges (I think)

Areas with no snowmaking at all will be mostly very small ones. Maybe off the radar to most UK skiers, but still commercially run.
snow conditions
Yes the French resorts have a low percentage of snow making compared with the other alpine countries, but most resorts seem to have some.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1188152/rate-of-artificial-snow-in-europe/

The average potential cover across France is 35% of pistes compared to Italy at a surprisingly high 87%. Being south of the Alpine ridge makes Italy drier than the northern alps but perhaps also more suited to snow making.
snow conditions
Great link @Peter S! I knew Italy had more snowmaking than France but am surprised the disparity is that much. Agree with what you say about much of Italy having an ideal climate for snowmaking. I think (northern) French Alps usually have more consistent snowfall patterns too, so in most seasons there is less need for artificial snow there. Or at least, there wasn't in the past...
ski holidays
Snowspace Flachau has nearly 100% but they haven't been on since early January. With 51% North Facing runs we can skis to valley level at all 9 entry points (at 8-900m) and for the last 10 years the same has been true at Easter, all be it a bit slushy come nach mittag!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy