Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Italy…mostly pants?

Poster: A snowHead
@pam w,
Quote:

You implied quite a lot about what is required by "decent intermediate" skiers

I actually wrote
Quote:

What’s it got for decent intermediate skiers/boarders, who like to get plenty of kilometres covered, with enough challenging pistes and cruising for a week or two, with a good, well linked lift system to support it?

So I was clearly referring to a skier with particular preferences, rather than 'decent intermediate skiers' per se.

Quote:

When that proposition (which excludes some iconic destinations, including Chamonix, Klosters and Monterosa) is demonstrated to be false, you start ducking and weaving.

A proposition I never made, based on an inference from my OP that I never implied?

Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
post deleted due to problems with greater and less than symbols

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 23-02-23 12:37; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@jmr59,
Quote:

I think it was just a badly phrased OP (in particular the comma after 'intermediate skiers/boarders' is misleading), and that this particular poster is asking whether Italy has anywhere that would appeal to 'a decent intermediate who likes to get plenty of kilometres covered, with enough challenging pistes and cruising for a week or two, with a good, well linked lift system to support it'.

I kind of expected the Italian Inquisition but not the grammar police Smile

However, if that's clarified my OP for anyone, thanks.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
PeakyB wrote:

I don'tthink Scotland is quite in the same league, is it> (light blue touch paper.....)

On it's day scottish skiing is pretty amazing.

I don't think on a good day Glenshee would compare unfavourably with the 3V with its travel from valley to valley. Or Aviemore with St Moritz with its classic hotels and views over the lochs.
Glencoe is a bit more of an Argentiere. And Aonach Mor with its views over to the iconic Nevis is a reasonable comparison to Zermatt. One thing I'm not confident of though is that the on mountain eating experience in Scotland would survive comparison with Italy.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@johnE,
Quote:

TBH I am not even sure what makes a "decent intermediate skier" I suppose it is someone who is happy on black mogul fields but looks down on those cruising reds.

Good grief, no, they don't want black mogul fields. They could go to Argentiere for that. How about 'normally taking all red runs in their stride and confident on most black runs, unless they're in particularly bad snow condition, eg sheet ice, or mogully, of in bad visibility.'
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@T Bar,
Quote:

Agreed.

Quote:

One thing I'm not confident of though is that the on mountain eating experience in Scotland would survive comparison with Italy.

Agreed.

Quote:

I don't think on a good day Glenshee would compare unfavourably with the 3V with its travel from valley to valley. Or Aviemore with St Moritz with its classic hotels and views over the lochs.
Glencoe is a bit more of an Argentiere. And Aonach Mor with its views over to the iconic Nevis is a reasonable comparison to Zermatt.

The power of imagination?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Returning to my OP. So far, I think, we've got,
in Italy:
Champoluc, Gressony and Allagne. A 3 valleys set up with lift served off piste is superb.

Monterosa

Outposts:

Georgia

Scandinavia
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@PeakyB, Monterosa and Champoluc / Gressoney / Alagna are one and the same Very Happy

I would definitely add Madonna di Campiglio, if you like the Sella Ronda region.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@denfinella, sorry and thanks, another typo on my part, I meant Madonna di Campiglio rather than Monterosa.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I just don’t get this to be honest. Is the point that only resorts with huge mileage are suitable for decent intermediate skiers? Or that only huge mileage gives variety and challenge? Both seem silly propositions.

A “decent intermediate” would be exploring lift served off-piste, moguls, steep slopes and enjoying it all. And also get that the same run can provide significant variety based on conditions, choice of line etc. Add to that all the other aspects to be enjoyed - scenery, mountain restaurants, ambience. Massive mileage of easy pistes seems a bit simplistic if a measure.

My lot are definitely significantly more advanced skiers than “decent intermediates” and have skied extensively in resorts big and small. Not only were they not bored in Monterosa (c75km of piste) the other week but were unanimous in wanting to return nest year (which will make it three times in a row). And that was with very limited off-piste due to lack of snow. For sure we got more vertical for our back due to lack of queues, relatively quiet pistes and long powerful lifts. But then we can find plenty of variety skiing the same pistes a few times.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
[quote="PeakyB"]@T Bar,
Quote:

Italy is not a different country from Italy that I'm aware of. You were comparing Italy with Italy, I think you meant Austria or maybe Scotland.

I actually wrote...

Quote:

I mean compared to the general offerings from France, Italy and Switzerland.

Of course, I meant Austria Embarassed

I don'tthink Scotland is quite in the same league, is it> (light blue touch paper.....)[/quote

Sounds like you know everything already - did you ask the OP in the first place so you could make yourself sound like Billy Big Bollox and show off your "knowledge". It seems you know little about a thing that very many people enjoy in a ski trip: charm
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Today I am skiing in SkiWelt (Austria). I am an intermediate and I am wearing pants. They are Rossignol and were bright orange but have faded badly with age. I am also wearing other clothing if anyone wants to discuss.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Orange200, I didn't know Rossignol did underwear wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Yellow Snow,

No, I’m genuinely asking for opinions and facts about where else in Italy (other than the places I mention in my OP) might meet the preferences of a type of skier I try to describe in my OP.

Whether that skier is bothered about ‘charm’ or not, I don’t think is relevant.

I’m certainly not attempting to show knowledge about skiing in Italy because I have very little of it.

I reserve the right to challenge posts which appear to be based on assumptions, rather than what was actually written. Also to challenge responses which appear to come with a particular agenda behind them.

For example, some people like small areas, some people like off piste, some people like Scotland or USA or Japan. I accept all that.

But on this post I was asking about other large areas with lots of piste skiing in Italy.

If you want to make up your own story, no problem.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@zikomo, I think you might be reading more into (and behind) my OP than was intended.

FYI, I’ve regularly skied and enjoyed small areas over many years. I actually like to seek out places a bit more off the beaten track. I value the characteristic of ‘charm’ (however we individually define that) highly.

I’m baffled as to why so many respondents are, it seems to me, making a mountain out of a molehill, or a whole ski area out of Une Alpe et Demi. Puzzled
snow conditions
Quote:

But on this post I was asking about other large areas with lots of piste skiing in Italy.

Ah well, now we know. Saying that would have saved a lot of time.
ski holidays
@pam w, sorry if it was unclear but I tried to describe what I was asking about in para 2 of my OP.
snow report
@zikomo, I think you might be reading more into (and behind) my OP than was intended.

FYI, I’ve regularly skied and enjoyed small areas over many years. I actually like to seek out places a bit more off the beaten track. I value the characteristic of ‘charm’ (however we individually define that) highly.

I’m baffled as to why so many respondents are, it seems to me, making a mountain out of a molehill, or a whole ski area out of Une Alpe et Demi. Puzzled
snow conditions
@Orange200, Laughing I
think I saw a pic featuring you on a Val D’Isere thread earlier this week.

You’re certainly getting around and sharing the pleasure.

snow report
Quote:

I’m baffled as to why so many respondents are, it seems to me, making a mountain out of a molehill

Well, had you set out to provoke a lively debate, early in the morning (rather than simply seek some suggestion as to good skiing in Italy), you could have said something provocative such as "most Italian skiing is pants" and implied that there were a lot more big linked ski areas in France, Switzerland and Austria. wink
snow report
@pam w, yeah, well you've got me bang to rights there, guv.
ski holidays
@BoardieK,
Quote:

Im on a lift in a tiny "pants" ski area in Italy right now, had 3 rides so far and have only passed one instructor with a kid.

Pistes are great this morning though getting a bit discoloured in places.

Im about to lap a 1200m blue about half a dozen times practicing my carving. Love it.

You're not going to tell us where, are you?
ski holidays
@PeakyB, I am more than happy to take your word for it, but I did read carefully what you actually wrote, and responded to that:

PeakyB wrote:
What’s it got for decent intermediate skiers/boarders, who like to get plenty of kilometres covered, with enough challenging pistes and cruising for a week or two, with a good, well linked lift system to support it?

It reads as if that “decent intermediate” skiers are those who like to get plenty of kilometers covered along with a combination of challenging and cruising pistes and a a good lift system.

By that measure lots of areas in Italy tick the boxes. They may not have 250+ kilometers of pistes but that does not mean you cannot cover a lot of kilometers. It’s easy, for example, to go 10k vertical meters in a day in Monterosa, in fact easier than in many French mega resorts. I am challenging the supposition you made that decent intermediates could only be satisfied with a mega resort, and that somewhere with a smaller piste network could not compete in terms of variety, kilometers covered or challenge.
snow report
Nice legs in the middle of that pic a few posts up..... wink
snow report
PeakyB wrote:
I’m a great fan of most things Italian. Culture, architecture, scenery, food, wine, style, relatively good value for winter sports, semi organised way of life.

Obviously there’s the Super Dolomiti area, Val Gardena, Arabba/Marmolada, Val di Fassa, Alta Badia, etc. Amongst the best in the world, IMO.
Arguably the Via Lattea (Milky Way) area, with Sauze, Claviere, Sestriere, etc.
Some might add Cervinia, though it’s on the small side, unless you venture across the Swiss border at great extra cost.

The rest is all a bit pants, I think. I mean compared to the general offerings from France, Italy and Switzerland.

Unless, of course, you know different? Puzzled snowHead

You missed a few other good Italian places out, apart from the very obvious Monte Rosa
ski holidays
@PeakyB, it could be me! But I zoomed in as much as I can and I can’t see if they’re Rossignol…
latest report
Surely it would have been easier to say: How many ski areas in Italy have more than 250km of piste. Rather that create a needless, very specific, subset of skier (to which you don't belong)?
snow report
The more I read the first post, the more I think that a single errant comma made a lot of difference to its meaning.
Quote:
What’s it got for decent intermediate skiers/boarders, who like to get plenty of kilometres covered

which is what the OP wrote, versus:
Quote:
What’s it got for decent intermediate skiers/boarders who like to get plenty of kilometres covered
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dode wrote:
Surely it would have been easier to say: How many ski areas in Italy have more than 250km of piste. Rather that create a needless, very specific, subset of skier (to which you don't belong)?

2 - Sella Ronda then Via Lattea only, next question. (France has 5)
snow report
Quote:

Surely it would have been easier to say: How many ski areas in Italy have more than 250km of piste

Easier, but so dull. Hence the rabble-rousing suggestion that all other Italian skiing is pants. wink
ski holidays
@hobbiteater, I can count 7 in France, claimed at 250 km+ anyway, who knows what any of them really are, and 1 of those 7 needs connected slopes in Italy to get past the 250 km mark
snow report
my list is

3v -
pds -
paradiski -
via lattea -

based of cartography openskimap.org data not marketing.

edit - 4 miss summed megeve

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 23-02-23 17:32; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
deleted - double post
snow conditions
@PeakyB, Italy is really pants. You're best off skiing in France, and avoid the appalling Aosta Valley resorts at all costs. Toofy Grin
snow report
T Bar wrote:
PeakyB wrote:

I don'tthink Scotland is quite in the same league, is it> (light blue touch paper.....)

Glencoe is a bit more of an Argentiere. And Aonach Mor with its views over to the iconic Nevis is a reasonable comparison to Zermatt. One thing I'm not confident of though is that the on mountain eating experience in Scotland would survive comparison with Italy.

Methinks someone's had a wee dram too many...
snow conditions
skimastaaah wrote:
@PeakyB, Italy is really pants. You're best off skiing in France, and avoid the appalling Aosta Valley resorts at all costs. Toofy Grin

+1
snow report
Cervinia + Zermatt = more than 250km
snow conditions
@dode, I mentioned Cervinia/Zermatt, as an area that might suit the preferences of the mystery skier I refer to, in my OP.

I added that you obviously have to cross the border to Switzerland at significant extra expense to explore the full linked area.
latest report
@skimastaaah, do you have to travel a lot to explore most, or all, of the Aosta valley, eg by car, bus?
latest report
Yes, it's terrible. I'm off there on Sunday. Can't bear the thought of driving round the area, seeing different places, eating in a variety of establishments, taking in the different mountain views.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy