Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Would you notice 3.5mm?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking at some skis mounted for 315 boot sole length and my boots are 322 so the mid point of my boot would be 3.5mm behind the mount point of the ski. Would you notice the difference?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I wouldn't
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would think it very unlikely. Many skis, particularly off-piste ones, have optional boot center marks anyway. Just checked my wife's Rossi Blackops and they have "Progressive", "Recommended" and "Directional" lines marked, at a total of 6cm apart. This sort of difference would certainly be significant, but 3.5mm is in the order of differences you'd get from one boot to another anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@BertieG, no. Not at all.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@BertieG, Full on race GS skis that I am well used to, had set up just for me, really going for it on a race track? Maybe. But would probably not be sure if it was me or the mounting position that was affecting any performance differential.

Recreational skiing - not at all.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
No. 1 cm then yes, possibly. But you are talking about the width of a mounting hole here.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cut your toe nails by that amount.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you measure your skis centre mount points, you may well find that they are different anyway. Whenever I've had bindings mounted, they have measured the binding mount point from the tips, and used the mount line on the ski for reference only.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BertieG wrote:
Looking at some skis mounted for 315 boot sole length and my boots are 322 so the mid point of my boot would be 3.5mm behind the mount point of the ski. Would you notice the difference?

Er no. On a really badly designed ski that required almost perfect entering on a perfect piste, still no. And I've tested skis for a job. 15mm maybe under extreme circumstance, but would be very small difference. If the skiing conditions are less than perfect a skis mount has to be way off to notice.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
On a related note I recall that the very successful Salomon CrossMax ski of the early 2000s was allegedly identical to the not-so-successful X-Scream Pilot, except that the mounting point was moved backward or forward (I misremember which) by a couple of cm. As an all-mountain ski it was not a worthy successor to the original X-Scream Series, but in it's new branding, alongside the increasing popularity of wider piste skis, the skiing characteristics provided by simply moving the mounting were enough to make it a market leader within its particular niche.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy