Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flying to GVA from London

Poster: A snowHead
My OH is a dual British/Canadian citizen. Her British passport is running out of pages from stamps (thanks Brexit!) and renewal is not up for a good few years. Instead of paying to get a new passport I suggested to her that she could use her Canadian passport when we fly to Geneva (from the UK) next week. We will be skiing in PdS staying in the French side. I don’t really see that as a problem as Canada has visa free agreement to visit the EU and Switzerland but I just wanted to double check as if things go wrong I’d get the blame at the end!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Do you have to travel on the same passport both ways? If you come back into the UK on a Canadian passport, you could be stuck at looooooooooooooooooooonnnng queues at passport control. It only takes one big plane from Asia or the USA to make for a very long wait if you can't go through the e-gates.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In my mind, I think it would happen like this:

On the way out:
Check in with Canadian passport (to match the API) - tbh this part doesn't really matter
Go through border control with UK passport
At boarding, doesn't matter which passport you show
On arriving at GVA, enter with Canadian passport (assuming it's okay - this is the step I'm querying)

On the way in:
Check in with Canadian passport (as I think you have to check in with the same passport as the outbound journey?)
go through border control with Canadian passport
Enter UK with the UK passport

So there wouldn't be a long queue at passport control?

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 22-02-23 11:33; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Immigration generally (!) don’t seem to care what passport you use to exit/enter another country, just theirs.

So check-in onto the flight to Switzerland using the Canadian (otherwise the airline will refuse to board you as your UK one won’t get you into Switzerland) then enter on your Canadian.

When returning to the UK, check in and enter the UK with your UK passport (there is no validity days needed to get back into the UK for a UK passport holder, in fact you don’t need to have a UK passport at the border to get back in as long as you can prove you are a UK citizen)

But arent you just delaying the inevitable renewal?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ster wrote:

But arent you just delaying the inevitable renewal?

I guess in a sense yes and we are just being cheap to wait till the passport expiry before renewing. So it's like renewing a passport because all the pages are stamped every 5 years vs renewing it every 10 years when it expires.

Sorry classic case of overthinking!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Your plan sounds sensible - so you leave/enter the UK on your UK PP and enter/leave Switzerland on the Canadian one. I didn't realise you could do that, but it does make sense when you spell it out stage by stage!

I'm impressed you've clocked up enough stamps since Brexit to fill a passport though!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Although now thinking about it I'm not sure EHIC/GHIC would work if OH uses a non-UK passport at entry...need to do more research!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
freethemind wrote:
Although now thinking about it I'm not sure EHIC/GHIC would work if OH uses a non-UK passport at entry...need to do more research!

I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't. Obviously don't rely on this, because I'm just some random on the internet, but I can't see why having entered on a Canadian passport would deprive her of benefits she has as a British citizen--which she still is.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nor I. If the medical provider even look at the passport it will be just to confirm the id of the GHIC holder, not to pass judgement on if you should have been let into the country on that passport.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dual nationals have to do this all the time when going to their "home" country which largely insist that you enter the country on that country's passport. My kids are triple US/UK/Ireland (the trifecta!), so they go UK -> US on their US passports; US -> UK on their UK passports; UK -> EU/CH on their Irish passports; and EU/CH -> UK on their UK passports. Other desitinations to taste (sometimes being in a country on a US passport is handy; other times, less so). Never had a problem other than remembering in countries with airside exit border control (like CH) to show the passport they entered on for that trip.

I would also note you should try to remember what you've done before on a country by country basis. Dubai, for example, gets very cross if you've entered the UAE on different passports on multiple occassions.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Do you have to travel on the same passport both ways?

No (And how would they know?)

Mrs U has UK and French passports and was told, by GVA passport officer, that the UK one was only useful for actual entry into the UK and to use her French one for all other Europe related purposes - so she leaves CH using her French one, typically at the automatic gates and enters the uk on her uk one, typically at the automatic gates.

Edinburgh don't check passports on departure and so she just then uses her French one on CH re-entry.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Which passport did you use when booking the flight?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kenzie wrote:
Which passport did you use when booking the flight?

Whichever is the easiest. Tbh thinking about it in my OH's case it doesn't really matter as now that the UK has left the EU. Both UK and Canadian passport give you visa free entry so either is fine. Obviously if one of your passports is EU then use that.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Make sure you do when entering and exiting any EU country. If you enter on one and leave on another it would look like you've overstayed the 90 day rule (another B***** benefit Crying or Very sad ) on the one you entered on. Not sure about CH but they may have something similar.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Vielles glisses wrote:
Quote:

Make sure you do when entering and exiting any EU country. If you enter on one and leave on another it would look like you've overstayed the 90 day rule (another B***** benefit Crying or Very sad ) on the one you entered on. Not sure about CH but they may have something similar.

Very valid. My OH actually once entered the US with a Canadian passport but exited with a UK passport. Luckily their system was able to link the two passports together.
latest report
@Vielles glisses, actually, if neither is an EU passport, you're quite right. My bad in not thinking that thru.

If one is an EU passport however ...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy