Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

2 x dads + 2 x 12 year old sons

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, seeking some advice from a knowledgable crowd!

Having done the half term Ste foy family holiday for nearly a decade, my brother in law and I are sneaking in a short break around 1 April with our 12 yr old sons. Both kids are very competent and am wondering where might be good for a 3/4 night break? Short transfer would be helpful and a resort that caters for short breaks.

Thanks all for any advice Happy

Dan
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
On basis of obviously liking Ste Foy, maybe somewhere comparative.

Grimentz in CH, train from Geneva, then post bus up to village. Very good north-ish aspect, probably less skied than some in this season of variable snow, good access from village straight up to altitude on gondola (return if conditions don't last on lower slope) good variety of piste plus direct connection to Zinal via cable car from village too.

Weve driven there with family, so haven't direct experience of public transport to share. But that shouldn't be too much of an issue given efficiency of CH. Its a stunning valley to visit and a good adventure for the party noted, usually holds snow well.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@dannyboy23,
From which airport would you require the short transfer?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Grimentz sounds good. In France most of the places which are within easier reach of Geneva airport are too low to have reliable skiing in April (though obviously a lot depends on weather between now and then!). If you are used to getting to St Foy you could do worse than carry on up the road to Tignes. With four of you, and a 4 day trip, renting a car will almost certainly be the most economical means of transport.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We've done a short break to Flaine which worked well. Short transfer from Geneva, and we stayed in hotel Totem which we loved. Great terrace and bar.
https://en.terminalneigetotem.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIg8acl4Kl_QIVbgWtBh1ExQpcEAAYASAAEgKI5fD_BwE

We did B&B and ate out in the evening - few different style restaurants close by. Hotel is right next to the piste.

We went 15th April and found the snow was still decent and most runs in Flaine open, although the links to other resorts were closed.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Kenzie wrote:
@dannyboy23,
From which airport would you require the short transfer?

We are relaxed regarding airports etc.

Should state that we always drive en masse to Ste Foy so this is a new adventure (flying with ski kit etc Happy)

Thanks for the tips so far!
D
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The Tarentaise resorts are do able from Chambery - Tignes approx 2 hr drive, lower down valley obviously less.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 22-02-23 17:39; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
lottster wrote:
We've done a short break to Flaine which worked well. Short transfer from Geneva, and we stayed in hotel Totem which we loved. Great terrace and bar.
https://en.terminalneigetotem.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIg8acl4Kl_QIVbgWtBh1ExQpcEAAYASAAEgKI5fD_BwE

We did B&B and ate out in the evening - few different style restaurants close by. Hotel is right next to the piste.

We went 15th April and found the snow was still decent and most runs in Flaine open, although the links to other resorts were closed.

Absolutely love that location and agree with you, it couldn't be more convenient in my view. Struggling with even having a guess as to snow there this year though, which may unfortunately hold sway in GM as a whole.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I did a short break to Pila, staying in Aosta, in late March a few years back. It's a relatively short transfer from Turin, and we were able to ski from Friday lunchtime to ~3pm Monday afternoon (flying out Fri am, back late Mon pm). We booked our own flights but did the rest through Interski - liftpass and equipment hire included in the price, even some lunch vouchers, I think. The transfer was good value too. Pila had enough for 3-4 days, I'd happily repeat it.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Zermatt, can't get much higher, train from GVA, expensive, but reliable.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:
Grimentz sounds good. In France most of the places which are within easier reach of Geneva airport are too low to have reliable skiing in April (though obviously a lot depends on weather between now and then!). If you are used to getting to St Foy you could do worse than carry on up the road to Tignes. With four of you, and a 4 day trip, renting a car will almost certainly be the most economical means of transport.

This was my first thought also. Tignes.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
For someone in the London area, flights from Gatwick to Innsbruck offer a lot, especially that late in the season. Ischgl, Innsbruck itself and the Zillertal with the Hintertux glacier at the end of the valley are all viable options.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Grimentz is lovely and the Swiss transport system is reliable but it's not particularly quick . I might be recalling incorrectly but I think it was nearly three hours from Geneva all together.
Probably a bit quicker if you can hire a car.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For 3 to 4 nights you want somewhere with a short transfer time in order to maximise slope time on first and last day. I would target a one hour transfer or close to. And being April you need somewhere not too low.

So from Geneva, Avoriaz or Flaine. Possibly one of the Chamonix valley bases. (I don't know what the Rhone valley resorts are like at that time of year, they would be a Swiss alternative).

I am not convinced by any of the Tarentaise resorts for this, even from Chambery.

Innsbruck would give you several Austrian possibilities, from Zurich Engelberg, and from Turin Aosta/Pila.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The Tarentaise resorts would convince me a lot more than Avoriaz or Flaine in April - especially this April, unless things change a lot. I'd prefer an extra hour driving to high altitude slopes. However, given the major uncertainties about snow between now and then, I'd not book any accommodation till nearer the time. Flights are already expensive for that week, even to Turin (I was looking last night, as I'm still not 100% decided between flying and renting a car, or driving all the way, when I pick up my grandson in Genoa for a holiday 1 - 8 April). But as I noted earlier, for 4 people for 4 days, renting a car is the way to go - and that can be left till the last minute, too.
snow report
pam w wrote:
The Tarentaise resorts would convince me a lot more than Avoriaz or Flaine in April - especially this April, unless things change a lot. I'd prefer an extra hour driving to high altitude slopes. .

This.

It's a been a strange season so far, and if I hadn't already booked my April trip, I'd be either waiting or heading as high as I possibly could.
latest report
We've also done Solden in mid April before - short transfer from Innsbruck.
Stayed at Vaya hotel for B&B which was very nice.
snow report
Thank everyone - this is so helpful. We’ll be leaving this until the last minute as we aren’t that fussy re accommodation - the boys just want to ski Happy.

Innsbrook looks like a good option - assuming the eastern Alps remain white!

Great tips
Dan
snow conditions
Well, Verbier is an obvious one. And it ticks the box for being accessible by train and gondola from 7am to 11pm. This is at least a viable option if the car rental at GVA looks excessive. Personally, even on short breaks, I can't be bothered with the effort/stress involved in trying to get a couple of hours on the slopes on the arrival/departure days. But we all have different priorities. If you're trying to keep costs down, then Verbier also offers the option to stay in Le Chable, down in the valley where the gondola up to Verbier starts.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 23-02-23 6:00; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Bergamo for flights and Madonna di campiglio. A shade under 2 hours transfer and a better snow base (admittedly this is a low bar this year) than most.
ski holidays
T Bar wrote:
Grimentz is lovely and the Swiss transport system is reliable but it's not particularly quick . I might be recalling incorrectly but I think it was nearly three hours from Geneva all together. Probably a bit quicker if you can hire a car.

Outbound, hiring a car will usually mean a faster getaway and shorter transfer time. With the train and train/télépherique/PostBus you just have to accept that yes, it’ll take somewhat longer. Although it should be a lot less stressful than a UK train journey. Return, I love the train because as the main driver, I can relax: I don’t have to come off the autoroute to top-up; no chance of delays on the A9 around Lake Geneva; there’s not the stress of the hand-over process; and no wondering whether I’m going to be hit by a scratch charge. Once I’m on the bus in the village I can relax until I emerge from the train inside the airport. But obviously, if you have a tonne of luggage and equipment, then the train isn’t going to be so attractive compared to car rental.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 23-02-23 12:01; edited 2 times in total
snow report
T Bar wrote:
Grimentz is lovely and the Swiss transport system is reliable but it's not particularly quick . I might be recalling incorrectly but I think it was nearly three hours from Geneva all together.
Probably a bit quicker if you can hire a car.

I was sighting it in relation to getting to a Tarantaise area time/complexion wise which is not easy. I'm hugely enthusiastic about both the Tarantaise and Valais ski area potential, but for travel from Geneva its likely that most Valais destinations are going to come in favourably judged on time and cost, especially for less than week duration.

That's transit category, not staying, pass costs.
snow report
One option is to book the accommodation in Tignes but ski the first day in Les Arcs.

You'd need to park up in Bourg St Maurice next to the funicular on the day you arrive and ski the afternoon in Les Arcs, from the top of the funicular in 1600 it is only two lifts to get to the 1950/2000 area with is reasonably snow sure. You could then get the funicular back down when you are finished and complete the drive up to Tignes that evening.

Clearly this will only get you an hour or so more on the snow so may not be worth it, bringing your own gear is a must for this.

Depending on flight times it's possible to do something similar on the way back, i.e. leave resort really early and arrive at the Les Arcs Funicular at 8am ish.

I have done something similar parking in Les Carroz (1h ish form Geneva) and then getting the lifts up to Flaine in other years but the snow may will be an issue this year.
snow report
dannyboy23 wrote:
Hi all, seeking some advice from a knowledgable crowd!

Having done the half term Ste foy family holiday for nearly a decade, my brother in law and I are sneaking in a short break around 1 April with our 12 yr old sons. Both kids are very competent and am wondering where might be good for a 3/4 night break? Short transfer would be helpful and a resort that caters for short breaks.

Thanks all for any advice Happy

Dan

Turin is good for early flights in from UK and evening fligts back, and short transfer to Via Lattea or Aosta valley (Milan also works for Aosta Valley)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy