Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Side Benefits of being a Snowboarder

Poster: A snowHead
Sorry, but monoskiing is nothing like snowboarding.

Most of the turns are steered rather than carved

You have poles so flats are not a problem.

You never take your feet out a the binding.

You look forward rather than sideways.

There are two similarities

You fall a lot when learning

You love slush
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@OuatteDePhoque, Yeeehaw. That's a bold look. (if you still have it you should rock it one day)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@JagerBull Everyone had a mullet in the 80s
@rogg, The years of time have been unkind on my waistline, and I gifted the outfit to a seasonaire about 15 years ago.

@johnE, The third similarity is that people give you a wide berth on chairlifts, which kinda brings us back full circle.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Whilst on a chairlift a snowboarder can blow his nose and check the phone at the same time without dropping his poles Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BoardieK wrote:
Whilst on a chairlift a snowboarder can blow his nose and check the phone at the same time without dropping his poles Very Happy

I routinely stow my poles under my left thigh on a chair, and am always surprised that so few others do the same.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
jmr59 wrote:
BoardieK wrote:

I routinely stow my poles under my left thigh on a chair, and am always surprised that so few others do the same.

Are you ok with randomers shoving their poles under your leg, or do we need to ask your permission first?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
OuatteDePhoque wrote:
Are you ok with randomers shoving their poles under your leg, or do we need to ask your permission first?

Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
turms2 wrote:
snowboard & Chairlift could be a pain in the Axxx...however as i said in another topic
always left or right. Not in the middle.
If the lift turns left, sit on the right and vice versa
If leaving the chairlift you have to go (skiing boarding) left, meaning that everybody will also do the same way, then sit on the right and head forward. Not left....Even if the chairlift turns right etc.

I admire some boarders who sit in the middle among skiers etc....big mistake. If there is a double chairlift avoid it. If it is not possible try to go alone. If it is not possible then choose the side that is better for you according what i said above.

I'm not fussed either way, board or ski. Approach to landing, move to front of seat (not leaning against back) edges face forward rolling eyes how many don't, one hand on seat edge to fire myself out in acceleration faster than others, just gets me out of the way of what anyone else wants to do, never get tangled.

When my kids were younger I'd shove them clear at that point (just to wiz them out of the way ) with them fine in managing steering to avoid anything. They really liked that bit of whooshing out of the way.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jmr59 wrote:

So, if you all do it, aren't you all laced together like the Monkees, or those street performers doing Jackson-5 routines with puppets? Wouldn't you all have to do it syncronised, like the ceremonial cocking-of-the-leg?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ukoldschool wrote:
I dont think I know a single snowboarder (over my 30 years of boarding) who has ever ski'd or wanted to ski.
Most approach snowboarding as an extension to skateboarding, and you certainly don't get skateboarders that want to learn to fruit boot (roller skate) as lets face it , both skiing and fruit booting are just, well you know..... stupid looking Laughing

Well, guilty as charged on the rollerskating front. Though I rollerblade thank you very much. I can't skate on quads. That brake at the front trips me up every time. Can't skateboard to save my life. I feel all off balance. I fear the same will be true for snowboarding.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Owlette, Presumably the brake on the back of your rollerblades doesn't trip you up (unless you have brakeless, hockey style skates). In that case just skate backwards on your quads and problem solved Smile
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sorry, just got back from work!

@crosbie,

Boarding is definitely easier on the knees once you suss out how to stop the dreaded toe side judder, how to get off chair lifts and assuming you don't go down heavily on the knees too often. (I wear knee pads from MTB-ing days to mitigate this a bit) The scooting along with one foot strapped in can be a pain though for me.

Being a beginner again was for me the bigger of the two hurdles yes but as you say, not a complete beginner. And a strong desire to keep sliding really helps too, kind of "well if I can't board then I stop having winter holidays and that's just not happening"...but then I discovered SkiMojo which is why I do both while I can still ski because I'm pretty sure I'll have to give up skiing sooner or later even with the mojo.

Quote:

Of course, a skier may sometimes forget they're on a single plank, rather than a pair...

That was how I had an epiphany...chasing two skiers forgetting I was on the board!

@pam w,
My left knee is my worse one too, which is why I ride goofy so I'm surprised you ride normal. Don't you find forward weighting for a turn a problem? I totally agree with you though, why wouldn't anyone give it a go if faced with too knackered knees for skiing? Or even just to give it a go on a white-out day when most of the lifts were shut.

@Owlette,
Quote:

What do you reckon? 40 young enough?

I did the board in a day course at Hemel, which I thoroughly recommend, when I was 52.

For those thinking of it, all the talk of boarding being easier is true to a certain extent (after the 3 days of pain). But once you get to a certain level you have to be rather dynamic on the board which does mean the thighs get a full workout.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You can have a fall and pretend that was just you stopping.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Nickski, I'm not sure boarders are that hung up on whether they fall or not. So no need to pretend.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I'm not sure boarders are that hung up on whether they fall or not. So no need to pretend.

I suspect that's true - and so much easier to get up. Having fallen such a lot I got good at it - board straight over the head, up on the toe edge. When I fall on skis I feel like a stranded whale. I watched a French dad with 5 year old learner snowboarder one afternoon. Lad was in a sort of furry brown suit, and was like a little teddy bear, just over, laughing, up and down again, all afternoon down the nursery slope I was practising on. Sheer joy and lovely to watch.
latest report
@pam w, I've discovered yet another benefit of skiing in Italy. There, pretty much anybody who's passing will offer me a hand up if I'm in a heap. Never happens in France.
snow conditions
Benissimo! Looking forward to that.
ski holidays
Surprised - in a good way - to see so many snowboarder Snowheads.
latest report
wiigman wrote:
Surprised - in a good way - to see so many snowboarder Snowheads.

Well, who else would have us? I tried SCGB but got asked to leave after using the wrong cake fork during the orgy.
snow report
All about the spooning NehNeh
snow report
Very Happy
snow conditions
Skier here (hope you don't mind me intruding from the native quarter).
It never occurred to me to try snowboards when they first appeared and now it feels too late. I can't afford the time off being a beginner rather than a (relative) expert on my 3 or 4 weeks per year off-piste steep and deep with guides. Not so many years left (just coming up to 75). I imagine I'll start slowing down soon.
What's this about needing 2 pairs of skis and not liking slush!! Never taken more than one pair and I love slush. Breakable crust, though, I can imagine might be easier on a board.

SCGB orgy? Damn, I must have gone on the wrong holidays.
snow conditions
Quote:

Not so many years left (just coming up to 75).

I can relate to that, @snowball. I'm no expert on skis, but a lot better than on a board. And when I dabbled with boarding I had plenty of slope time to play with. But it is quite fun being a beginner - in anything - because the learning curve is so steep. Not just physical things like skiing. Learning anything. I made encouraging progress in Italian for a while...... and even in playing the piano - ma purtroppo era troppo tardi......
snow conditions
Why aren't there more boarders on the Snowheads off-piste holiday? Or is it the thought of mixing with skiers in the evening?
ski holidays
@pam w, if I were out for a season I'd certainly try, but as it is, every day on snow is so precious. (Already lost my January ski holiday with the flu.)
latest report
@snowball, oldest person I met learning to snowboard was a lady of 82. She'd seen one of her grandsons riding "and thought it looked so graceful".
snow conditions
Richard_Sideways wrote:
@snowball, oldest person I met learning to snowboard was a lady of 82. She'd seen one of her grandsons riding "and thought it looked so graceful".

This might be the best thing I've ever read on this forum.
latest report
snowHead An instructor at the Southampton dry ski slope told me he'd taught an 80 year old beginner snowboarder.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I did do a half day of beginner boarding at Hemel a few years ago. But how many days riding would it take to be able to ride a 45º slope stylishly?

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 24-02-23 17:22; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@snowball, wrong question - how many days would it take to have fun.
snow report
@Richard_Sideways, I ski with a group of friends and a favourite guide (and have fun now). But I take your point. Do you take the reverse point about learning skiing?
ski holidays
I don't get this "powder day" thing. There is usually powder of some sort somewhere if you know where to find it (or have a good guide). Main reason for considering a second pair is when there are loads of hidden sharp rocks around to damage new skis. Is this any different with boards?
ski holidays
snowball wrote:
..how many days riding would it take to be able to ride a 45º slope stylishly?

It's harder to ride Hemel Hempstead gracefully than technical steeps, in my opinion. Most skiers cant do either stylishly.

But I think snowboarding has a mindset difference - the "orthodoxy" is much weaker than in skiing. No one can tell me I'm not doing it right, no one can tell me I have to snowplough before I can jump a cliff. Snowboarding has old guys too now, but we still don't have skier type rules. Or snowploughing.

A hundred days of practice ought to get you most of the way there, if you're reasonably athletic.
snow report
@snowball, absolutely, I *almost* bit the bullet and thought about trying to learn to ski when the wee'un were more wee and learning their Pizzas and Frites so I could be more helpful as they learned. But, I decided against doing it as how much use is a beginner helping a beginner - plus the picked up everything so quickly I doubt I'd have been able to do anything except slow them down. Both kids have done both disciplines although youngest has seen the light and is tending towards the One True Edge and the other will be written out of my will in due course.

I still might take a ski lesson or two sometime... Maybe one of those Learn To Ski Inna Day jobbers at Hemel... It'll give me a good reason to add a splitboard to the quiver and come do the ShOPBash Toofy Grin
ski holidays
phil_w So if I did one week boarding per season I'd be about 90. That's if I were still "athletic". Not sure how athletic I am now. Technique still gets you a long way when the body is starting to fail.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 24-02-23 18:35; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Richard_Sideways wrote:
and the other will be written out of my will in due course.

Laughing
ski holidays
It is a shame boarders and skiers are segregated on Snowheads holidays (I am about to try the Spring Off-Piste Bash). I have never ridden with a boarder and when you have a good guide you seldom see others than your own group.
PS, sorry, I have crashed a topic off-topic. I'll shut up now.
snow report
@snowball, Puzzled Harrison the Rabbit has boarded on that Bash several times.
ski holidays
Yes, but they don't do mixed groups with the guides. Perhaps I'll get to ski with some boarders on the last Saturday if my energy lasts that long.
snow report
Quote:

It is a shame boarders and skiers are segregated on Snowheads holidays (I am about to try the Spring Off-Piste Bash).

@Richard_Sideways, I and many others have taken our boards to bashes. No segregation. We just don't like to show up all those skiers who are wondering if they are having fun yet? Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy