Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Or alternatively, a helmet which has been subject to a very substantial crush force

Poster: A snowHead
I have messaged the seller - I know POC products well....

Stated: 'little used'.

BUT

Just look at the side of this....massive compression of the side of the helmet.

Grief.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195595789890?hash=item2d8a6ae642:g:4xcAAOSwO4tj1r7s&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoBiM755%2FYsBjrEgBW60YX7uXt9GRHIzB8N4tA0TCbh5Ejf6sn5iHz2rZW3kDOpaiGLRhvpK4kziPXQaYBUDtjmO%2FoT6o8Xbt4fCA8bMgab0MV6F0nDhJg7eEH%2BZDOXRwXMNOf9SnIJi1KNEbHfA2wj7BooHqovC3iaJS7fSvG9UeJLfchZFs173LsyGbsVwGhDwgva37L5PhbKtwA3B0EVY%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR86ji6LNYQ
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
"Little used" but came in very handy on the day.....
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@pam w, exact....
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
“No major crashes”. Define major
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dan100 wrote:
“No major crashes”. Define major

Never worn by Richard Hammond Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
A major crash

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.latimes.com%2Fsports%2Fstory%2F2021-02-14%2Fhuge-crash-daytona-500-nascar&psig=AOvVaw19_brro77sjh0qAgz1FrAp&ust=1676928754462000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAwQjRxqFwoTCMj06dPEov0CFQAAAAAdAAAAABAE

another huge crash

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.abc.net.au%2Fnews%2F2021-07-01%2Ffan-cardboard-sign-caused-tour-de-france-crash-arrested%2F100257528&psig=AOvVaw19_brro77sjh0qAgz1FrAp&ust=1676928754462000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAwQjRxqFwoTCMj06dPEov0CFQAAAAAdAAAAABAT
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That looks to me like it fell off a table or similar rather than a massive impact. While I’d not buy it (or any helmet) second hand, do you think it would necessitate replacing?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Skimum1 wrote:
do you think it would necessitate replacing?

Absolutely! Helmets do stand up to a few light knocks, e.g. every time you bump you head on the chairlift safety bar, but this doesn't tend to deform the helmet. They are made of polystyrene, so if this has been compressed already, there isn't any “crumple zone” left to protect your head! If your helmet looks like this, chuck it in the bin.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks @Scarlet, off to give mine the once over.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Skimum1, Also turn it over and look for cracks around the rim. You may need to gently move it with your fingers to see if anything shifts more than it should. And if it's old (10 years? There will be different theories about this...) replace it anyway, you only have one head Cool
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks. It’s only seen about 5/6 skiing weeks and is about 3 years old but it has a dink on the top where it’s rolled off somewhere.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Scarlet wrote:
Skimum1 wrote:
do you think it would necessitate replacing?

…. If your helmet looks like this, chuck it in the bin.

Or sell it on ebay. wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Skimum1, ….yep…we know POC products inside out…that’s had far more of a bash than a fall from a table. Possibly a crush in a bag in a ‘plane hold, or some incident in storage (like a much heavier object falling on it) but also possible a big whack on the hill. Scarlet is right - visible compression of the material (as in this case a 2-3mm deep area of denting) is a bad idea re the performance of the helmet in another hit. I’ve worn worse, but I wouldn’t be selling it on ebay as ‘little used and no major knocks’. It has had a major knock.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Scarlet, …interesting re ‘ageing’ of helmets. I have seen foam fall to bits through internal chemical reactions over time but the old idea that EPS needs to be replaced every five years (some manufacturers state this) was somewhat overridden by some independent research which found no aging processes in EPS foam:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26902784/
ski holidays
@valais2, After a few years of regular use and transportation, they do tend to start showing their age, regardless of whether there is age-related deterioration in the materials. We've had one delaminate after about 5 years (now binned). I thought mine was ok after a hefty crash but where the impact point was goggles rather than helmet – I showed it to my partner for a second opinion, and he said “yeah, it's fine, apart from that massive crack in the front...” Embarassed It was only visible from underneath and when wiggling it a bit. That was replaced with a quick run round resort shops at the beginning of the next outing Laughing
snow conditions
Looks positively perfect when compared to what was being hired out to the kids in L2A many years ago and why we bought the girls their own helmets after that!
snow report
i see the original listing was removed but it's been relisted. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195610735611
Is that in an attempt to make the damaged section less visible?
snow report
I am reminded when I went to look at a second hand Z900 in Bonneville.
Before I went, the owner said it had a small dent where it had fallen off its stand.
When I saw the bike, pretty much every panel was dented, the pegs and levers were bent, bar ends and fork ends scratched TF, the exhaust had been changed over and there were new after the market indicators.
I can only assume that the falling off the stand incident happened while it was on the edge of a cliff.
latest report
@OuatteDePhoque, Very Happy
ski holidays
A slight dent, the size of a 50p, is hardly massive compression! Probably just a slight dent in the outer skin with negligible effect on the PS body.
This is from the Rossignol website

Glossaire

ABS: Outside shell of the helmet made out of plastic (polycarbonate) moulded as light as possible, but with good shock absorption. These helmets offer more durability against everyday falls, while providing a good impact protection.

They clearly don't know their polymers, ABS is Acryonitrile Butadiene Styrene copolymer, not Polycarbonate, which is a different polymer.

Certainly on my helmet (I do actually own one) the thin ABS shell can be compressed in various places, indicating that there is a small void between the shell & body, this has always been there from new. The helmet now has numerous dents in the outer shell from minor knocks that are unlikely to cause much if any deformation of the EPS body.
snow report
@tangowaggon, ….up to point Lord Copper. Yep, I have used Polycarbonate thin shell helmets that look as though they have been in a war zone (Giro mainly). But I guess the key thing is that I wouldn’t sell them as ‘little used’.

As I mentioned, we know POC products well. For example, the POC Fornix and Synapsis avoid the issue of gap between layers which you describe, by using a tight in-mould process. The Synapsis can get easily marked up or have small depressions on the thin Polycarbonate shell. But the advertised helmet has a number of obvious impact points on the right hand side, not just one depression, as well as a scratch and chip to hard plastic air intake. It may not have been the case that these were all done at the same time, I recognise that. But due to the tight in-mould structure of the Synapsis (even with its aramid layer), I wouldn’t buy a Synapsis with an number of areas of impact damage of the kind on this example.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy