Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR Banff, Canada. First timer over the pond. 18th ..26th Feb

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Everybody.... whilst I'm lying here in my hotel room at 1.50am I thought it'd be useful to create a Trip Report for our first ski trip over the pond. Hopefully it'll be useful to someone.

A couple of details to help with context.

Me, a mid 50s, twice a year skier and have been since 96
2 kids, one 17 and one 15. Both intermediate ish..... 5th week and 4th week
Live near Manchester but having to fly from Heathrowq T3. Flight 14.50 on the 18th

Journey down pretty uneventful and not worthy of being in a skiing TR, other than both me and my daughter realising that we hadn't packed her ski jacket. She thought I'd packed it and I thought she be wearing it to travel, needless to say it'd been missed. There is a really handy Decathlon in Uxbridge! Sorted.

The flight set up was a bit of an odd one Virgin partnered with WestJet who id never heard of, if im honest. To be fair and in light of what's coming in the next paragraph WestJet are decent.... on time, good spacious seats, good food for a flight and great entertainment.

On arrival at Calgary, smooth as you could wish for........ then my bag didn't show up!

I bought some new Volkl Kendos in the summer sale and as they are longer than my other skis I also decided a new double ski, wheeled Dakine bag was in order..... all my ski clobber was in the bag with the exception of my boots and a few bits that I could fit in my boot bag. Just to be clear..... thats my: thermals, ski pants, jacket, goggles, gloves, socks, base layers, helmet. Plus my regular clothes. The penny dropped after about 45 mins waiting but as there were still oversized coming out from LA I couldn't be sure... I eventually asked and got the answer that all Heathrow bags were off. FFS!

WestJet were very professional even if quite matter-of-fact.... "well get them to you on the next flight.... same time tomorrow", probably not realising the impact or at least how I perceived the catastrophe. By now its 17.30. So that's a day with no gear, assuming it turns up. Now, I have 2 kids who I'm not keen on going out on their own. We have ski lessons booked in Sunshine on the first day. Ski passes paid for. And not to mention the £000s I've paid to have a nice break! Mad

This is the first time for both summer and winter hols that this has happened so I should think myself lucky!..... and yes I could have mixed our kit across the bags

Anyway..... stop being irate, its not going to sort it, just spoil the hols.... so get a plan B...

I've managed to get some rental pants and jackets from the same place I have hired the kids skis from ... SkiBig3.... these are the main guys in town.... the ski area has the same name. I asked these guys to rent a pair for the day....... BUT all the skis are booked out..... its seems like I've landed on a Holiday weekend in Canada.

So whilst I lay here at 2.40am listening to my 17year old son snoring his head off..... I'm wondering, what happens if the other outfits have no skis Shocked up and out early to get it sorted.... hopefully we'll get to Sunshine!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sorry to hear that your bag didn’t arrive. I had similar with Westjet in December (and it did turn up, delivered to my accommodation, although took a few days). Keep any receipts for what you spend. Westjet suggest a very low amount as what you can claim - it’s actually covered under an international convention (I forget which one), and they paid out about $700CAD to me as my bag had all my gear in too.

Best of luck getting skis, and enjoy!

Ms T.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Gaz_H, Ski wise, just find a shop and demo a pair for the day - rather than rent Madeye-Smiley Hope you get something sorted - enjoy the trip, Banffs a great town

Its Family Day this weekend in Canada IIRC along with with Presidents Weekend in the USA.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 19-02-23 14:32; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What an absolute pain. Hope you can get it sorted out quickly, but what a waste of a holiday day!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Search Banff and you’ll find some trip reports, I tried to put useful data in mine. Not about lost bags though!
Hope it gets better for you, I love the place.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I had a similar experience last year flying BA to Seattle. All skis, boots, helmets and goggles left at Heathrow. Luckily we’d packed ski clothing separately but still had to buy goggles, helmets and rent skis for 4 days until they showed up. Luckily BA eventually coughed up the price of everything we bought so no worse off but would have much rather been on my own gear instead of rentals.

Oh and enjoy Sunshine, it’s a great place to ski!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@bigtuboflard, that’s handy to know, our snowboard bags were delayed this last trip with BA. We rented most kit which I assumed would be covered, but bought goggles - I wondered might they kick up a fuss about the purchase of them.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We ended up buying one Giro helmet, Burton gloves, two pairs of goggles (just cheap Smiths ones) two beanies and a Patagonia down jacket. To be fair to BA, even though it took a while to process the claim they paid for the lot, about £600 from memory.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Gaz_H, that's a pain in the a, hope you manage to find some nice skis. Looking forward to hearing your experience of Banff! snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well then! Up and out at 7am straight to Ultimate.... couldn't recommend them highly enough...spot on. Got me some Volkl skis and GAVE me some goggles from the lost bucket.... and she was from Manc... such a relief to get the skis.... I bought a couple of bits too.... but at least I can go skiing now.

I'm not used to getting buses to the slopes and to be honest I wasn't best organised. Once the scrum had sorted its self out, it was OK. Bus ride to Sunshine is about 30 mins. Lift passes, once you have had it scanned at the gondola base station you don't need it again. This really makes a difference to the lift queues. This is their busiest weekend ot the year and I didn't queue anywhere for more than 10 mins

The skiing: I'm not sure how I'd describe it to those who, like me, have never done the NA thing. It's a bit like a big shopping mall! All the food, bars and other conveniences are in one place and everything leads there...... there is nothing on the mountain. Now, it's actually a good way to do it. All the pistes head to the same place.... which is as well coz the marking aren't that great. BUT and it's a big one... I like to travel and have a sense of going somewhere different..... think the Dollies. This is defo not that, same lifts all day long just loads of runs

The actual skiing was great, loads of powder and it's not stopped snowing all day, although visibility wasn't great. Sunshine looks to be a really big area..... 3 or 4 mountains of varying difficulty. I must admit to being a bit nervous of the percieved difficulty but those who ski in Europe needn't be. I've not been down a double diamond yet though.

So, all in all a really good day albeit in borrowed gear!

Still no ski bag!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sorry to hear about the bags, although I've had many a disagreement with folk on here who insist that never happens. If you had your boots in your hand baggage, you're smarter than they are. Yeah it was a holiday weekend, so the internal flights were busy etc. It's rare for a non-stop flight to lose bags, but it happens. Much more risky if you have multiple legs and you check your bags through. I always assume it'll happen and take precautions, then it's good when it doesn't

But as it sounds like you've worked out, it feels really bad, but doesn't have to stop play. And the airline is most definitely liable.

--
Not sure I get the shopping centre analogy, but yeah, the structure of resorts is different from Europe. Don't forget that the "off piste" is also patrolled and controlled so entirely as safe as the pistes from that perspective - you don't have to stay within any markers to stay safe. In interior BC on Sunday there was fog about but the light was mostly ok. I think it's probably similar for Monday, but the sun is expected later in the week.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Glad you got some gear sorted out and haven't lost any skiing time. Hope your own bag shows up soon!
You'll find that Lake Louise gives you a greater sense of 'travel' - enjoy!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
IIRC Sunshine mid station is “all in one”. Louise is very different, you will “travel” there.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wow what a days skiing! It snowed all night, even in banff Town. The conditions on the mountain were fantastic. Because of the snow in banff Town I was certain it would be Pea Soup again at Sunshine.... we took the 8.15 bus, it stops right outside the Ptarmigan Hotel which is where we're staying. Over the last 2 days the queue for buses have been massive but their credit they have just kept on turning up in numbers. I think there were 4 x52 seater coaches this morning at our hotel. The traffic queues to Sunshine parking were bad! It wasn't helped by all the snow on the road. They have little shuttle buses that can take you to the parking lots further away. So if you do go and hire a car you can save money. I did hear that they have started to charge at the station car park so quite a few people park a way off.

As I said at the start the skiing today was great and some of the best I've done.....anywhere! At sunshine they have 3 mountains.... Lookout, Goats Eye and Standish. We're liking the Goats Eye area.... lots of tree skiing in powder. Fantastic! Lift lines were again 'busy.... but still only 5 mins tops! There are longer queues to get hot food at lunch time...... this, so far is the only disappointment.... the food! It really isn't Italy!

I am finding the whole place a tad expensive too
Lunch - chicken tender strips n fries with a dip. $19 (£13).... there were 3 pieces of chicken, not that big either.... the majority of the plate was made up of the fries that resembled Maccies. Beer is dear too at about £7 a pint.

Eating at a Steakhouse called Keg tonight so that'll be good.

Tomorrow off to Lake Louise on an early start... the weather is forecast snow again and I believe the temps age plummeting into the -20 to -25 on Wednesday..

The ski bag status has moved from Searching to Being delivered..... Good news! I have just been to buy some new undies though, these have on the 4 ways now, so time for a change Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
At Louise, Sitzmark Lodge (at the base) had nice food. Temple Lodge (way out in the sticks) was bleugh.
snow conditions
@Gaz_H, I loved Banff, to the point we might can our last minute Europe trip this year and might do a longer Canada trip next year. (haven't been for 3 or 4 years now so caveat with the recommendations)

If you want a steak and aren't too worried about cost, the Saltlik is one of the best steaks you'll eat.

Block was a fun Tapas/sharing plate type meal. We perched at the bar and drank an awful lot of Mohitos and sampled a lot of good food.

Nourish was a really nice veggie option.

There was a mexican off the main drag but can't remember its name.

Also an English themed pub, which served unfortunately accurate mid 80s UK pub food if you're missing home. Laughing Laughing
snow report
@rogg, +1 to all of them.

We were last there pre-covid. Then, Chuck's was imo the best steakhouse in town. Just had a look at their menu online and was surprised at how much prices have gone up since covid.

https://www.chuckssteakhouse.ca/menus-page
snow report
Shout out for the Korean in the mall too. Very good.
latest report
I’m feeling quite hungry now. Might have to book a trip. Toofy Grin
snow report
If you fancy trying some elk while you're there, when I was there back in 2017 we had some decent grub in Elk and Oarsman, who do some elk specials on a Wednesday.

https://elkandoarsman.com/daily-specials/
snow report
Quote:

I did hear that they have started to charge at the station car park so quite a few people park a way off.

I'm not sure that's the case unless it's something to do with the long weekend but even then I doubt it... I was there on both the 11th and 12th of February and there was no parking charge at the base station beyond the usual VIP area behind the gondola.

Agreed that Goats eye in powder is fantastic and yeah lunch's are expensive. Most locals will be bringing their own and eating in the white tents.
snow report
Hi Everyone.... last night, we had a great meal at The Keg... ribs and chicken, very nice and highly recommended. We then went for a beer at the Rose n Crown.... alright place for a band. We had a beer but we were all knackered..... I'm finding that more now! Shocked I defo can't keep up with my younger self.

Up early and off to Lake Louise.... the queue for the bus was huge but they did get more buses in... we set off 30 mins late but the journey was fine. Oh the snow! It snowed all night and Banff Ave was covered in new fall... High expectations for the mountain.

LL was absolutely rammed. I spoke to one of the attendants about which lift to get.... I didn't want to end up on double black diamonds.... he suggested the far left on the piste map.. squirrel was one of the runs..... there was no one there...fresh tracks in shin deep powder. Probably the best powder run I've ever had.

LL is a big place and I suffered form not knowing the area and we made a few mistakes that ended up with us being back at the base station..... the queues were 30 mins.... followed by horrendous queue at lunch time. I'm really missing the mountain huts for lunch.... if they had it here it would be perfect, but the don't. I agree that temple Lodge is mherrrr! So a quick burger stood up as we couldn't find a table.

The afternoon was a different LL all together... we headed off the Larch area.... way quieter! Some fantastic runs and some really challenging ones, ungroomed and powder allbeit tracked. I was absolutely knackered today but it was because we pushed ourselves.

Is LL all that they say? It probably is, especially if its sunny, well go again on Friday is the sun is out.

My case has turned up at last, so I'm going to return my rented gear and get my own skis on and hope it snows again tonight.. we're expecting -20+ tomorrow.
latest report
so, tips for the cold. don't let your socks get sweaty, cover any bare skin. KT Tape sold in any pharmacy/Shoppers can be great for this. Use little hottie tea bags in mittens. Surprised Lake Louise was rammed today, must be the pow
snow report
@Gaz_H, the Japanese restaurant upstairs in the main LL lodge is a great alternative - lovely food and table service so you avoid the scrum downstairs. We had no problem getting seated and eating in the hour between our daughter’s lessons yesterday.

The Ski Friend tour is also a nice option. They can’t take you on double blacks but point out good entry points, and it’s great to ski away from the crowds.
ski holidays
Love Ski Friends.
Never heard of it so busy, yes must be the pow.
I found a hut at the bottom of Larch was ok for food.
ski holidays
Possibly a combination of the pow and family weekend. The only time I’ve got big queues - and not that bad - was a weekend powder day. Midweek it’s usually pretty quiet
ski holidays
Norquay is good to go to for a light day.

If you find yourself back in Banff early afternoon, do check out the riverside walk down to the falls/rapids area, where there's two signed paths into the woods that lead up to a great pub.

I was thinking of going to Banff this season, but then found out that an extra zero had appeared on the price tag.
snow report
@gryphea, thanks for the tips. I did a lot minute stop at decathlon the day before we left and got hand warmers..... so they get used
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
narbs wrote:
@Gaz_H, the Japanese restaurant upstairs in the main LL lodge is a great alternative - lovely food and table service so you avoid the scrum downstairs. We had no problem getting seated and eating in the hour between our daughter’s lessons yesterday.

The Ski Friend tour is also a nice option. They can’t take you on double blacks but point out good entry points, and it’s great to ski away from the crowds.

I saw some Ski Friends knocking about yesterday. How does it work with them then?
snow conditions
crosbie wrote:
Norquay is good to go to for a light day.

If you find yourself back in Banff early afternoon, do check out the riverside walk down to the falls/rapids area, where there's two signed paths into the woods that lead up to a great pub.

I was thinking of going to Banff this season, but then found out that an extra zero had appeared on the price tag.

Off to Norguay today..... smaller but I hear a bit steeper than the other 2.

We are planning the river walk on sat before our transfer to the airport.... should be a stunning walk especially if it clears..... I'll check out that pub too
snow conditions
Ski Friends are great. They are locals who in return for a ski pass show you round. You meet them by their sign - you’ll recognised them by the yellow jackets. Think it’s 10am and 1:30pm but do check

Basically they will then split into groups depending on ability and show you round the resort. They won’t take you down any double blacks or the back bowl ‘off piste stuff’. As well as showing you some of their favourite runs they have a wealth of info about the area etc. If you’re not sure where to ski at LL or want company it’s a really good way to ski. They are lovely people.
latest report
Norquay much smaller. But also quieter and very friendly family vibe. Plenty to keep you occupied for a day. Even if you don’t feel like skiing the steep mogul field back down it’s well worth taking the North America chair to the Cliffhouse just for the views - you can download.
I also rather like the upstairs bar for my post ski beer watching the slopes
snow report
@Gaz_H, when i was there a decade ago Norquay had an 'experts only' chair up to the top of a steepish, but wide run. I did it with an arm in a sling (broken shoulder), and it was gnarly but fine. Conditions will no doubt vary it between pleasant and nightmare. Other runs are pretty ho hum. Not much to do for beginners tho.

The trouble with the pub in the woods (off shoot of Banff Springs hotel complex) is that you'll be pissed you didn't discover it sooner.
latest report
crosbie wrote:
The trouble with the pub in the woods (off shoot of Banff Springs hotel complex) is that you'll be pissed you didn't discover it sooner.

If you head up there this evening they might still have the "wings Wednesday" thing on the go. Cheap hot wings that were really tasty. Keep the plates of them rocking up with a pitcher of beer or two. Happy memories.
ski holidays
The experts only chair at Norquay is the North American. Only blacks of that chair - often enormous moguls. Might not be now after all the snow.
If you just want the view you can ride it both ways as a pedestrian
snow conditions
When I went to Banff, the best day was the day at Norquay. It had snowed heavily the night before. Most people jumped onto coaches headed for Sunshine and LL. The road to Sunshine was blocked by a small landslide and nobody could get in for a while. Oh how we laughed! The 18 inches of fresh snow on the steep runs at Norquay made them easier. We managed to get off one of the chairs just as the patrollers finished blasting above one of the runs. We were third and fourth down that in the powder. The moguls at the south end were still there even after all of the fresh stuff.
latest report
crosbie wrote:
.. The trouble with the pub in the woods (off shoot of Banff Springs hotel complex) is that you'll be pissed you didn't discover it sooner.
Yeah there's a short path down from the back of the hotel, and they serve Weissbier and simpler food there. I like that better than the other places in there. The food's much better at the Post Hotel in Lake Louise, mind.
ski holidays
TommyJ wrote:
The experts only chair at Norquay is the North American. Only blacks of that chair - often enormous moguls. Might not be now after all the snow.
If you just want the view you can ride it both ways as a pedestrian

Yeah, that's the one. With good cover, it's worth doing. Easier than The Swiss Wall in PdS anyway.
snow conditions
Out of all Ski Big3, I thought Norquay offered the best (least bad) food.
My daughter said that the lack of mountain rifugios was down to the ski areas being in a national park. They will never give permission for the construction of mountain food huts. Which suits the vibe of the place really.
snow report
Just back from Norquay and had a great day. Full report of the will come later.....

Kin ell that Black that faces the lodge was at the horrendous end of the scale.... the powder moguls were ridiculous!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy