Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ischgl or Solden for March?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I have only been to Zell Am See, and I am planning a middle-March trip to Austria. My partner is a beginner/intermediate and I am not sure which resort would be better. I have read all topics and people seem to be torn half and half between the two.
Apres ski is not a priority. I am after nice groomed slopes and mainly enjoyable ski.
Any advice would be welcome...
Thanks in advance! Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Both are very fine for mid-March, neither is truly great for beginners. Both might be a be daunting for your partner, because of sheer size and dimensions of the ski-areas.
The runs back home in Ischgl are definitely not suited for your partner, so you will have to download everyday.
Some other, more beginner/intermediate friendly and equally snow sure suggestions: Serfaus, Obergurgl, Lech
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yep, as Langerzug says, I don't think Sölden is a good beginners resort. The glacier is good but getting back from it can be tricky..
There are 2 good blues at the Giggiijoch end but, to my mind, they finish with red steepness and are often a racetrack for less than accomplished skiers.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have used Solden as a beginner base for myself and later on for my kids.
We all felt it was friendlier than the neighbouring Obergurgl.
Especially the wide blue pistes leading to the Giggijoch gondola, never too crowded nor steep.
Downloading by gondola at that stage. The glacier pistes were doable as well.
I think it is a better place for beginners and early intermediates, together with the same skipass Obergurgl, than Ischgl
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you all for taking the time to respond. Very Happy
My partner did all the red slopes in Zell Am See, that's where we spent most of the time skiing anyway. I am not so much bothered about skiing back to the village, I am happy to get the lifts back. All I can see is that Ischgl has 47Km of blue slopes and 143km of reds. Solden has 70km and 46km respectively.
In Zell Am See last week, past 1pm and the snow was becoming mushy and bumps were showing up all over the place. I thought these two resorts, being at a higher altitude, might have better ski conditions, especially in March.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Of the two I think Solden is a bit better for beginners. As has been mentioned the area above Giigijoch is great. I expect you may be best downloading in March - the lower slopes are likely to be soft lower down. Obergurgl overall would be better for beginners and better snow, but you can stay in either and ski the other on the same pass - the bus is very quick between the two, so add the two together in your calculations.

Ischgl is mainly reds, at least on the Ischgl side. Easier (but less) skiing over in Samnaun.

They’ll both be better than Zell in March. The problem with Zell is limited skiing; the blues on the southern arm are very busy, and the reds on the northern arm are great until the sun gets them. I do like Zell though (was there last Feb) and there’s always the Saalbach link.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@doberman, how about Obertauern? Plenty of blue runs there. And had a reasonable amount of snow given it's not the best of seasons.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
buchanan101 wrote:
Of the two I think Solden is a bit better for beginners. As has been mentioned the area above Giigijoch is great. I expect you may be best downloading in March - the lower slopes are likely to be soft lower down. Obergurgl overall would be better for beginners and better snow, but you can stay in either and ski the other on the same pass - the bus is very quick between the two, so add the two together in your calculations.

Ischgl is mainly reds, at least on the Ischgl side. Easier (but less) skiing over in Samnaun.

They’ll both be better than Zell in March. The problem with Zell is limited skiing; the blues on the southern arm are very busy, and the reds on the northern arm are great until the sun gets them. I do like Zell though (was there last Feb) and there’s always the Saalbach link.
That was my exact experience in Zell; after 10 pm the blues are super busy, and by 1pm the snow conditions change dramatically.
After viewing the Ischgl map, the runs seem to be quite 'narrow', or am I being wrong here? Solden seems to have 'wider' runs overall?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jagerbull wrote:
@doberman, how about Obertauern? Plenty of blue runs there. And had a reasonable amount of snow given it's not the best of seasons.

It definitely has a lot of snow, just checked!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@doberman. I guess Solden generally has wider runs in certain areas (the glaciers, and the bowl above GIggijoch is just one massive blue run) but there’s plenty of width in Ischgl. Quieter than both is Obergurgl - so Solden gives you that option as well.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Stay in Sölden and ski in Hochgurgl.....?

Hochgurgl is much better than Obergurgl but you can gondala or bus between the two.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Scamper wrote:
Stay in Sölden and ski in Hochgurgl.....?

Hochgurgl is much better than Obergurgl but you can gondala or bus between the two.

Yes apart from blue 5 or 6 in Obergurgl. But they’ve put a gondola in place of the chair so it’s a pain to loop it

Bus to Untergurgl and take gondola up to Hochgurgl and village beyond.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Probably 6 you mean, the night skiing/floodlit one.

The last 3 times we've been there (staying in Sölden) I've gone across to Obergurgl hoping to find the slopes as they were on my first visit - I've skied down once, hating the scratchy, wind scoured slopes and scarpered back to Hochgurgl.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for all the useful replies; we will go to Solden; seems we can't go wrong there!
Last question, I am trying to decide where is the best place to rent some high quality and well-serviced skis. I have only used Brundl in the past while in Zell, and the service was outstanding!
I came across three rental firms, and I am leaning towards AlpinResorts because you can actually see the different models online. All others have just 'grades' Gold, Silver, etc. The other two shops are Intersport and Sport Riml.
Any useful feedback on the rental front?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Check Mietski. You can choose your specific pair before you arrive
ski holidays
Scamper wrote:
Probably 6 you mean, the night skiing/floodlit one.

The last 3 times we've been there (staying in Sölden) I've gone across to Obergurgl hoping to find the slopes as they were on my first visit - I've skied down once, hating the scratchy, wind scoured slopes and scarpered back to Hochgurgl.

Yes the floodlit one. The top bit is good with 3 routes (actually 4 I think) then to the mid station of the new gondola. Unfortunately what was a nice loop where you could skip on and off the chair is now a PITA gondola with a long walk at the top - I guess that’ll change when the build the new Festkogelbahn with a new combined top station? maybe they have? Was supposed to be a couple of years ago

They’ve made a mess of it with their gondola obsession
latest report
drporat wrote:
Check Mietski. You can choose your specific pair before you arrive

Thanks
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy