Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zell am see for nervous intermediate

Poster: A snowHead
An allied thread to Charliegolf, I’m a very nervous but apparently competent skier. I stick with blues because the thought of reds worries me. That said I skied a tricky red in Norway because I thought it a blue and later managed to ski safely around fallen skiers on a nasty narrow icy run there too!! It’s all in my head.

Anyway can anyone point me in the direction of suitable runs in the resort of Zell am See please. Any advice appreciated
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I can't help but am following on as we're going next year and I would be interested in similar tips!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I can’t think of a single blue run at Zell that isn’t a true blue. Needless to say, the slope conditions will generally deteriorate through the day and become slightly more difficult, but there is nothing to give you concern.
Sticking to the blues on Zell will essentially confine you to one half of the mountain. The Sonnkogel part of the mountain is almost exclusively red runs, but I’d classify them as generally being between blue and red. These runs are usually much quieter, but can degenerate quite quickly in the sun, as they are south facing. They are therefore best skied early on in the day.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 19-02-23 9:32; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You can also downlift at the end of the day
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@bambionskiis, As @Austrian Seagull, points out, you're limiting yourself to the most crowded side of the Mountain. If you're going in Peak Season and only skiing the Blue Runs, plan on long queues, hordes of British Kids and not getting a table for lunch. Oh and don't try to ski down Red 21 to the Zell Express, you won't enjoy it. Maybe hop on the bus to Kaprun or Saalbach, better still, switch your resort to Maria Alm up the road.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
All the nice blues are over in Salbach .
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Many thanks all. We’re going 4 march which I thought would be low season. That said I understand there’s flausching on Tuesday which I didn’t realize when I booked. Im hoping us going the week after it will be quieter. Im happy to bus it elsewhere for a quieter ski. I don’t mind the queueing part, it’s just I’m nervous skiing near lots of people is all.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Chick, is there a bus runs over to saalbach from zell?

@RedandWhiteFlachau, I’m pretty sure that’s the “easy” run needed to get back to our hotel (berner)!! Thanks for the heads up
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bambionskiis wrote:
....flausching...

What is Flausching? Do you mean Fasching...which is this coming week
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@bambionskiis, Yes there are plenty of buses to salbach from Zell.
You can also take the Zellamseexpress to Viehofen and then a bus to Vorderglemm where you can access the Salbach area.
BLUE NO.2 is a nice blue run in Zell.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@holidayloverxx, yes this Tuesday I understand but don’t know how long it goes on for

@Chick, Fab thanks for the info
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Be aware the bus from Zell to Saalbach is not a skibus. 6 euros each way.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
bambionskiis wrote:
@holidayloverxx, yes this Tuesday I understand but don’t know how long it goes on for

Fasching celebrations start on Saturday and ends on the day before the first day of Lent, Shrove Tuesday. It is the equivalent (but on a far bigger scale) of our pancake day, the feast before the fasting in Lent.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bambionskiis wrote:

Just a few days because Lent starts on Wednesday
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bambionskiis wrote:
@RedandWhiteFlachau, I’m pretty sure that’s the “easy” run needed to get back to our hotel (berner)!! Thanks for the heads up

Most definitely not
ski holidays
Austrian Seagull wrote:

The Sonnenalm part of the mountain is almost exclusively red runs, but I’d classify them as GENERALLY BEING
BETWEEN BLUE AND RED.

Remember that on run 20 at ten to four on your way home
snow report
RedandWhiteFlachau wrote:
@bambionskiis better still, switch your resort to Maria Alm up the road.

This! Zell is pants for beginners and intermediate skiers and is generally very busy. If you have transport, Maria Alm, Lofer, Gastein and Pass Thurn are all better options.
snow conditions
@Klamm Franzer, we’re on a crystal ski package next week so we are are where we are
snow conditions
@bambionskiis, As @Austrian Seagull, points out, you're limiting yourself to the most crowded side of the Mountain. If you're going in Peak Season and only skiing the Blue Runs, plan on long queues, hordes of British Kids and not getting a table for lunch. Oh and don't try to ski down Red 21 to the Zell Express, you won't enjoy it. Maybe hop on the bus to Kaprun or Saalbach, better still, switch your resort to Maria Alm up the road.

Red 21 is ok - the end is a bit steeper but there’s a loop off to the left. But it is a red

The blues on the southern arm in Zell are very crowded - more uplift capacity than slope capacity. The small area over the back is a bit quieter - one very easy blue but with a slow t bar. The blue back to the city express is not great at the end of the day and is probably the steepest of all the blues.

The reds on the Sonnkogel are good, but short. They aren’t really that steep. They are a lot quieter but one of the lifts up is a cranky old. Take the fast 6 chair. Two ways down from the top; sharp left off the lift is steeper to start with. Straight ahead then left is the gentler option.
snow report
Whitegoldsbrother wrote:
Austrian Seagull wrote:

The Sonnenalm part of the mountain is almost exclusively red runs, but I’d classify them as GENERALLY BEING
BETWEEN BLUE AND RED.

Remember that on run 20 at ten to four on your way home

I’d download on the cable car if over there at 10 to 4.

I make my way back round and ski down to City Express (only tricky narrow soft and bumpy right at the bottom). Has the advantage too of getting you to the town rather than the cable car stations.
snow conditions
bambionskiis wrote:
@Chick, is there a bus runs over to saalbach from zell?

I think the Berner is just above the City Express? It’s a blue (5 or 6?) back on the southern (easier/more crowded) arm of the mountain. The Red being referred to I think is a south facing red down from the Sonnkogel which I’ve never done at the end of the day but can imagine isn’t great then.
ski holidays
Many thanks all; really helpful.

The vibe I’m getting back though is at odds with the crystal blurb I signed up for of “easy blues, you’ll learn the basics in no time.” and ranks it 4 out of 5 for beginners and intermediates. Feeling a bit down about it all now tbh.
snow conditions
Quote:

Feeling a bit down about it all now tbh

That's a real shame, and won't help you get to grips with it. Are you going to have lessons? There are probably some great instructors. It sounds as though you can avoid some of the problems by downloading on a lift (like I always do in places where that "last run home" is crap, with poor snow and too many people). I have absolutely no problem with doing that, and if people think it's a cop out, who cares?
ski holidays
bambionskiis wrote:
Many thanks all; really helpful.

The vibe I’m getting back though is at odds with the crystal blurb I signed up for of “easy blues, you’ll learn the basics in no time.” and ranks it 4 out of 5 for beginners and intermediates. Feeling a bit down about it all now tbh.

Some people are being a bit snooty about Zell. Yes the skiing is not particularly expansive but it doesn’t sound like you are going to be racking up the miles. Start on the blues on the left arm or over the back. They are all easy, they can get busy and can cut up but the queues aren’t too bad. Also time what you do to get the best conditions and least crowds; start early, lunch early and finish a bit early if necessary (and take City Express gondola down if need be - not sure if you have to do the last bit of the blue to get to the Berner - I think it’s slightly higher than the hotel I stayed in which was right on the piste at the bottom.

After a couple of days try the reds on the Sonnkogel- they really aren’t that bad and are much quieter.

I like doing the miles. But for some reason I love Zell. It’s a gorgeous setting and a nice town. I did go to Saalbach twice last year - the Red down is a little steep at the end (the rest is a blast) but there is a detour round the worst
latest report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Feeling a bit down about it all now tbh

That's a real shame, and won't help you get to grips with it. Are you going to have lessons? There are probably some great instructors. It sounds as though you can avoid some of the problems by downloading on a lift (like I always do in places where that "last run home" is crap, with poor snow and too many people). I have absolutely no problem with doing that, and if people think it's a cop out, who cares?

I often download. Have done in Ischgl. Did once last month in Ellmau. Didn’t do so in Zell (only because hotel was right on the slope). Obviously did in Mayrhofen. Have done in Solden in April.

It’s the worst time to ski; worst conditions, busiest, tiredest etc. As you say - who cares?
latest report
I did a couple of days in Zell in January, I thought that it was a lovely town, and the ski back down to town has possibly the best views of any piste out over the lake, however the run when I did it was slushy and busy which is why I round recommend the download.

We are not all the same, but I would advise any nervous skier to find a really sympathetic instructor to put in place some strategies as to how to deal with stuff that is difficult, for me learning to side slip with confidence transformed how I felt about steep slopes. This gave me confidence and in time I developed my skills to ski down steeper slopes with more style. Might not help with slushy and busy slopes, but this might have more to do with timing, slope selection, willingness to wait for a quiet gap and to download.

Enjoy Zell. As others have said it is also a great base to enjoy other lovely resorts within a short distance, notably Maria Alm which is very pretty.
ski holidays
DavidYacht wrote:
I did a couple of days in Zell in January, I thought that it was a lovely town, and the ski back down to town has possibly the best views of any piste out over the lake, however the run when I did it was slushy and busy which is why I round recommend the download.

We are not all the same, but I would advise any nervous skier to find a really sympathetic instructor to put in place some strategies as to how to deal with stuff that is difficult, for me learning to side slip with confidence transformed how I felt about steep slopes.

Indeed side slipping is a very important skill to learn, not just do deal with tricky bits
snow report
Indeed there are at lot talking down Zell on here. It's where we started and it will be absolutely fine.
I would also suggest one day taking the free bus to Kaprun with a few nice easy blues on the Maiskogel and then the K3 lift up to the glacier which is mainly blues with a few easy reds. At the end of the day take the gondola down from the AlpinCenter all the way to the carpark and pick up the free 660 bus back into Zell.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Off to download map and look in more details at suggestions given

Really good idea to offload at end of day; not something I’ve done before. Your comments are much appreciated
snow report
After a quick scroll above, I couldn’t spot whether you are looking to have any lessons bambionskiis? If so, there may be a possible option - I’ve a good friend who’s BASI 2 qualified, English, lives just outside Zell and who I am fairly sure has now qualified to instruct in Austria. I’d be happy to drop him a line to see if he’s free and able to help.
ski holidays
@bambionskiis, As others have pointed out, Red 21 is not where you will be skiing so don't worry about it. Yes, we have been having a bit of a downer on Zell as a ski area, but if your happy just skiing the blues (Left hand side of the piste map!), you'll be fine if you don't mind the odd queue. On the plus side, the views are stunning and the Apres and Town in the evening are great. Of course everyone speaks English (as most of the staff are or have it as their second language) so nights out can be fun. Maybe start looking for next year now and ask for tips on here before booking. It sounds to me like you'd be very happy with somewhere like Morzine/Les Gets, Alta Badia in the Dolomites or the Ski Welt here in Austria. Enjoy your week.
ski holidays
There are blues 3 and 7 over the back of the mountain that barely show on some ski map because of the angle. One quite short very flat one (7) is served by a T bar but WILL be quiet. Chairs Gipfelbahn and Kappelenbagn serve another blue. These blues are a lot quieter than the main ones down the southern (left) arm of the mountain on the map
latest report
@buchanan101, I was there last week. You're correct if all you want to do is go up and down the T-Bar, but you still have to fight through the hordes going back up the Kappelenbahn! I'll be up there again on Thursday so will report if it is any better.
snow conditions
@buchanan101, I was there last week. You're correct if all you want to do is go up and down the T-Bar, but you still have to fight through the hordes going back up the Kappelenbahn! I'll be up there again on Thursday so will report if it is any better.

This must be the worst week of the season - Fasching?

Was there last year the week Russia invaded Ukraine (and BA played silly bu$$ers with my skis on the way out and with the actual flight on the return). The queues really weren’t that bad. Slopes got very busy in places.

First day there was on the chair at the top of the blue 1 I think. They should’ve closed it for wind. It was sounding awful and crawling up; two guys were having to push the bubbles round the top of the lift as the wind was filling them as sails. It can be very windy across the top of the Schmittenhohe.
snow report
bambionskiis wrote:
Off to download map and look in more details at suggestions given

Really good idea to offload at end of day; not something I’ve done before. Your comments are much appreciated

You will be fine in Zell, the shape of the mountain dictates that all the flatter terrain is at the top of the mountain, there are plenty of blue runs available that are wide and confidence inspiring. Your hotel is very close to the City Express gondaoa and I would recommend you aim to download there at the end of the day as the run back down can be a bit sketchy. Its much better to sneak an extra couple of runs on the terain you are happy on at the top of the mountain than feel you must ski home (and the views over the lake when downloading on the City Express are spectacular). A good idea is to ski more in the morning then stop around 1500 for apre at Schanaps Hans Alm at the top of the Schmittenhohe and from there you can ski blues all the way back to the City Express top station, last download I think is 1630 but this may vary with lighter evenings.

The Sonkogel section to the right of the piste map is wonderful skiing through the trees and although marked red are often as easy as the blue runs as they are skied less and in better condition This is particularly true in a morning after a hard freeze as the sun softens these pistes first and if you time it right you can pick up some great snow. I would however avoid Red 20 as its always in poor condition and up until about 8 years ago was a black and probably should still be. You can easily ski back to the schmitten side of the ski are on blues again or take the short Sonnenalbahn down and one of the lifts back to the blues on the Schmitten.

I would recommend a trip on the ski bus to both the Maiskogel (pretty much all blues) and to the Kitzsteinhorn glacier (plenty of blues and probably the best snow though pick a nice day as the wind/temp can be pretty unpleasant up there). You can take the skibus to the Maiskogel base station, ski a couple of laps there and then take the 3k lift to the base station of the Kitzsteinhorn. Ski there for a bit and then make your way back across and sample some of the apres bars on the way down the Maiskogel.

I would also recommend a day trip to Saalbach on the bus, as said you need to pay for this one but its worth it to experience a different area/vibe thats included in your pass. You can aim for the last bus back or if you want to stay and experience the legendry Saalbach apre a taxi is about 60 Eur back.

If you have any other questions please just ask and I will be only too happy to help.
snow conditions
beano Spot on with all that. Zell is a lovely resort - yes a bit limited, and can be busy, but I still like it, and your tips are all good.

The blue back down is OK most of the way - can obviously get very soft. The bottom is the main problem (right by the SportHotel Alpin I was in last year) - gets narrow and very bumpy - the easy blue from the bottom of the main cable cars also joins just above. Skiing back to the Berner is possible I think, and it's slightly higher and you'd avoid the worst bit - is that right beano?
snow report
good advice from Beano above, I second all that. Defo download city express at end of the day, your ski in ski out hotel is off the steeper side of the home run (although the quieter side), although may be good way to start out in the morning when the piste is freshly bashed, ski down to Ebenberg lift and then across to cityxpress, depending one what that bit between your hotel and chair is like, I never skied that because it didn't lead anywhere. Its only later in the day that the bit just above the city xpress lift get really cut up with mounds of icing sugar cannon snow and bodies strewn left right and centre!

If doing Sonnenalm side go early in the morning before it cuts up and the blues off the back of Schmittenhoe should be the quietest. Maiskogel is a great shout, you'll find most people head / over up the glacier so you could have a good quiet slopes lapping the main Maiskogel chair.

Another way over to Saalbach is to down load on the zellamsee Xpress. I wouldn't risk red 21 if nervous, it became one of our family favorites, but it was quite tricky at the top and had a couple of very steep sections lower down.
snow conditions
t44tomo wrote:
good advice from Beano above, I second all that. Defo download city express at end of the day, your ski in ski out hotel is off the steeper side of the home run (although the quieter side), although may be good way to start out in the morning when the piste is freshly bashed, ski down to Ebenberg lift and then across to cityxpress, depending one what that bit between your hotel and chair is like, I never skied that because it didn't lead anywhere. Its only later in the day that the bit just above the city xpress lift get really cut up with mounds of icing sugar cannon snow and bodies strewn left right and centre!

If doing Sonnenalm side go early in the morning before it cuts up and the blues off the back of Schmittenhoe should be the quietest. Maiskogel is a great shout, you'll find most people head / over up the glacier so you could have a good quiet slopes lapping the main Maiskogel chair.

Another way over to Saalbach is to down load on the zellamsee Xpress. I wouldn't risk red 21 if nervous, it became one of our family favorites, but it was quite tricky at the top and had a couple of very steep sections lower down.

My apartment is very near the Ebenbergbahn lift and we always start/finish the day there, the red run down to there is used for race training by several clubs and often hosts Europa cup race's it's kept in great nick although can be injected around the Europa cup races. Its a great run and is used for the nght skiing when on, however probably a little testing for an imtermediate blue run skier on tired legs at the end o the day. If the OP fancies trying it the best way is to head down the left side of blue 5 until you get to the big fir tree in the middle of the piste then head right below the tree above the back of the hotels and past the zell ski club building as this is the flattest route.

The last pitch down to the City express can be carnage late in the day although is only about 50m long. I find that most blue run skiers find the "cat tracks" through the trees round the two short black sections of the City Express home runs are the most terror inducing bits and usually are happier to tackle the short black pitches next time!

We have had our apartment in Zell for over 10 years now and have skied with all abilities from complete beginners up to pro's and we have never struggled to find suitable terrain within the ski area that kept everyone happy.

One thing that did puzzle me slightly were the comments above of big queues as the only place I have recently experienced big queues in the area are at the Maiskogel base station around opening time but this very quicky disapates. I guess the other base stations could be busy at opening but it never really has been a problem for us.
ski holidays
buchanan101 wrote:
beano Spot on with all that. Zell is a lovely resort - yes a bit limited, and can be busy, but I still like it, and your tips are all good.

The blue back down is OK most of the way - can obviously get very soft. The bottom is the main problem (right by the SportHotel Alpin I was in last year) - gets narrow and very bumpy - the easy blue from the bottom of the main cable cars also joins just above. Skiing back to the Berner is possible I think, and it's slightly higher and you'd avoid the worst bit - is that right beano?

Yes you can ski almost back to the Berner Hotel, easiest way I think would be to head towards the Ebenbergbahn and stop by the Zell ski club building and walk 50 or so meters along the road to the hotel as I am not sure if there is access higher up into the back of the hotel.
snow conditions
Update as promised.

Started at 09.10 with a 20 min queue at the City Express base station. Off the top and down Black 13 which was in good nick, Descended into the chaos at the bottom of the Schmittenhohe. I should have known better, it was Thursday and the entire cluster of Ski Schools were having their "Race" morning. Opted for a Bombardino until the tide had subsided. Up the Trass Express (minimal wait time) and down Trass which was excellent. As I was skiing with a Zell Virgin it was up to the Sonnkogel. Ticked every run but general disapointment with the "shortness" of the Reds 12-19 and Black 15 versus time spent on and queuing for lifts. Up again and Red 21 because it's there. Shocking condition and probably need a Base Grind. Punters all over it struggling with snow conditions. Back up to the Schmittenhohe via inexplicably slow chairs along the ridge and Black 9.

And then into the 7th circle of hell which is the Areitbahn side. It was by now 12.30 and despite the thin cloud cover it was warm and the snow had started to go. Very crowded on all the blues with large groups (mostly Belgians) of school kids winding their way backwards and forwards down the slopes. Most of the Brits had already opted for an early lunch and packed out the few higher Mountain stops. Due to the challenging snow conditions (not typical I know) there were bodies everywhere. Finally broke out of the clutches of Dante's Inferno lower down on Red 4 and can highly recommend the Schoberalm as a quieter and pleasant late lunch stop.

Back up the Mountain and a relatively free run down Black 5 to the bottom of City Express. I think by that time most of our half-term skiers had opted to down-lift. Overall, still not my favourite place in Salzburgland and if I was booking a weeks Holiday with anyone half-decent ski group I'd go somewhere else.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy