Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chrismas skiing in Europe

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone tell me where is the best place to ski in Europe at Christmas
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ialford, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Your question is akin to "how long is a piece of string"? There are many factors that affect the answer. However, I'm sure there'll be plenty of opinions offered!!

Me? I'd say Zermatt. It has a glacier, so will have some snow...and is beautiful snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Do you know what Chamonix and Val'isere are like?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
ialford, Val d'I can be OK. I was there for New Year about 5 years ago, and pretty much all the pistes were skiable (except 'Face'). Can't remember what the off-piste was like. Others can probably tell you more.

Chamonix is probably not a particularly good idea at that time of year. The main slopes are generally rocky, so need quite a bit of snow to make them really skiable. And the main attraction there is the off-piste, which needs even more snow than the pistes to be comfortable. I was there at New Year about 4 years ago, and they only really opened most of the domain up about 30th Dec (only about half the lifts were open prior to that). The previous year, things were so bad that friends had to drive over to Verbier to get any sensible skiing at all. We did manage to ski pretty much everywhere, but the bases of the skis took a bit of a beating. The high glacial areas (server by the Grands Montets lift) only really open late Jan, as the crevasses need plenty of snow to for the bridges to form. Les Houches and Megeve are probably the best in that area at that time as they are grassy meadows rather than rocky hillsides.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
GrahamN, Where would you go if you had the choice of Europe? Thanks for the info very helpful....Irene
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ialford,

If it were me I'd book Xmas last minute, if I couldn't do that I would book somewhere with a glacier.

Regards,

Greg
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've done Norway, twice at xmas and there was plenty of snow, but it's more suited to xc.

For Europe, I would go for Obergurgl.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ialford, this link here will give you some historical data http://uk.weather.com/activities/recreation/ski/ using method 2, scroll to Dec week 4, select your country and it shows the average (3 years) depths for a number of resorts.

Of course next season may be very different wink .
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ialford, The problem is that Christmas these days is quite early in the season. Last year many "snow sure" resorts hadn't had much snow at all whereas some lower ones did. The snow just didn't follow a typical pattern.

GrahamN is correct to say that off piste is one of Chamonix's big attraction but there's plenty of everything else too. Anywhere higher up will require sufficient depth too cover rocks.

You might (not wanting to discourage you from CHX of course) consider somewhere with lots of snowmaking? We had a perfectly acceptable Christmas last year in Champoluc - although the lack of natural snow made half the area inaccessible...

What sort of skiers are you?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ialford, Are you actually going to be away over Christmas itself? If so, will the atmosphere be important to you. Apart from those on this site with a vested interest in France, I seem to remember that most on here have found that Austria is better in that respect (I have never been over Christmas itself so can't comment first hand). There was a thread on it somewhere?

I have been away over New Year several times and never had a problem with snow - so to an extent we can be doom and gloom merchants on here.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
last chirstmas most of france were a bit short of snow, it was a fairly ice ride, where as christmas before that was superb! We had 4 or 5 dumps in christmas week alone.

The atmosphere here at christmas is wicked and riding on christmas day is a must!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ialford, We have availability in our chalet in Alpe D'Huez over Chirstmas if you are interested in that? High altitude resort with glacier and special discounts for snowheads. Have a look at our website www.skialacarte.co.uk and contact me if you would like a quote.

Other than that my advice for Christmas skiing would be to head high! Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
katski, i dont think it makes that much different. Last year both adh and les2 had less snow than we did in serre che.

ultimately you dont know how next year will be, decide where you want to be then keep everything crossed that it will be very snowy that week!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy