Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mid March Trip Advice(Resorts Near Munich/Zurich Airports)

Poster: A snowHead
Hoping to get some suggestions on resorts from you wise people. Thinking about doing a short trip over St. Patrick's weekend, hoping for 2.5 to 3 days of skiing, the aim being not having to take any holiday days from work(Paddy's day is a holiday for us). The only airport I've found with suitable flights(i.e. that get us at least 2.5 days skiing in that time frame) is Munich. We can either get into Munich around 10PM on Thursday 16th, or 10AM the following morning. Main criteria would be:

- Snow Very Happy
- Large ski area
- Within 2.5 hours of Munich airport(ideally less)
- Ski in/ski out preferably, at least no 30m+ car to the snow(friends were in Mayerhofen last year)
- Not incredibly expensive
- Hotel or apartment with cooking capabilities
- Parking
- Aprés not really important, even less so if staying in apartment

So far I have found St Anton to fit most of the bill, aside from price, but it would be at the top end of our budget, doable but we'd have to fly the Friday to save the night of hotel cost, so would only get 2.5 ski days. I'm hoping maybe someone knows of a cheaper/closer place in Austria that we could consider, any advice on towns or even specific accommodation is welcome, cheers!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 16-02-23 22:47; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think 2.5h from Munich, most largest ski areas are available to you.

I would also consider Solden, cheaper living in Längenfeld (and aqua dome spa) and the Bond 007 Spectre film excibition
Also, Ischgl, living in villages next to Ischgl itself. (and new spa in Ischgl)

https://www.austria.info/en/things-to-do/skiing-and-winter/skiing/largest-ski-resorts
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If St Anton - and assuming your flying from Dublin, wouldn't Swiss Air to Zurich & train to St Anton make more sense?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
ed48 wrote:
I think 2.5h from Munich, most largest ski areas are available to you.

I would also consider Solden, cheaper living in Längenfeld (and aqua dome spa) and the Bond 007 Spectre film excibition
Also, Ischgl, living in villages next to Ischgl itself. (and new spa in Ischgl)

https://www.austria.info/en/things-to-do/skiing-and-winter/skiing/largest-ski-resorts

Thanks, I'll take a look!

Gored wrote:
If St Anton - and assuming your flying from Dublin, wouldn't Swiss Air to Zurich & train to St Anton make more sense?

I had a look and I don't think the train really suits us in terms of getting the most skiing out of our time. Zurich is closer than Munich, so it might make more sense to drive from there, but the flight is a lot more expensive than Munich, unfortunately. Thanks for the info.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I suppose on the back of the Zurich recommendation, I'm also open to places near Zurich too!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Neither St Anton nor Ischgl is doable in less than 3 hours from Munich airport (might be nearer to 4 hours especially with car hire queues), Zürich works better for both. For me the Arlberg is the best skiing area in the eastern alps. Depending on your arrival time you might find the train is quicker to St Anton from Zürich (you have to factor in car hire faff) From Munich I would have suggested the Zillertal though that seems not to have worked previously, generally there is not much skiing at valley level so you have to pick your location carefully maybe check out Hochfügen (though not much there beyond a few hotels). The Kitzbühel area should work well, fairly easy drive from Munich, maybe look at Kirchberg, if happy with limited apres look up Skirast which gives very easy access to both the Kitzbühel & SkiWelt areas. Saalbach Hinterglemm might work but look to stay either near the lifts at Fieberbrunn or in Leogang for relatively easy drive to Munich. If you have the budget then Flims /Laax or Davos in Switzerland are doable from Zürich (again train might be as good as a hire car). One other option to consider is flying to Innsbruck via Frankfurt
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
munich_irish wrote:
Neither St Anton nor Ischgl is doable in less than 3 hours from Munich airport (might be nearer to 4 hours especially with car hire queues), Zürich works better for both. For me the Arlberg is the best skiing area in the eastern alps. Depending on your arrival time you might find the train is quicker to St Anton from Zürich (you have to factor in car hire faff) From Munich I would have suggested the Zillertal though that seems not to have worked previously, generally there is not much skiing at valley level so you have to pick your location carefully maybe check out Hochfügen (though not much there beyond a few hotels). The Kitzbühel area should work well, fairly easy drive from Munich, maybe look at Kirchberg, if happy with limited apres look up Skirast which gives very easy access to both the Kitzbühel & SkiWelt areas. Saalbach Hinterglemm might work but look to stay either near the lifts at Fieberbrunn or in Leogang for relatively easy drive to Munich. If you have the budget then Flims /Laax or Davos in Switzerland are doable from Zürich (again train might be as good as a hire car). One other option to consider is flying to Innsbruck via Frankfurt

Thank you for all the info, yeah I'm figuring out that my journey estimates were a bit off from Munich airport! The most recent resort I was looking at was Lenzerheide, but I didn't realise that all of the additional stuff would be so expensive in Switzerland, 175 quid for ski rental and the same again for a pass for 3 days(we would only get 2.5 skiing really) is really not fitting with the idea of a semi-cheap weekend. In saying that, I haven't checked the prices for those things in Austria yet, so maybe I'm in for some more bad news. I had assumed my experience of those costs from France would be more expensive than most places.

I will check out the places you've mentioned and see if any of them are suitable, thanks again.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Blacky, I am afraid skiing is not the cheapest sport, pass for a couple of days this weekend in the Arlberg is €127. Beer is pretty cheap in Austria though Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Blacky, in the past when looked at trying to do a long weekend, have found costs havd been only fractionally less than have achieved for the week, even with us tied to school holidays!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@munich_irish, Beer is definitely not cheap in Austria any more.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
NickyJ wrote:
@Blacky, in the past when looked at trying to do a long weekend, have found costs havd been only fractionally less than have achieved for the week, even with us tied to school holidays!

It seems like it alright, we did a 5 night/4 days of skiing trip last week and this 2 night/3 days of skiing trip is coming out pretty close to the former in terms of cost so far!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Chick, not sure what you have been paying, it was €4.20 in the Galway Bay in Innsbruck a couple of weeks ago and would be less in a more "local" bar though more in an apres ski spot. Sure thats got to be a good deal less than in France
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@munich_irish, €8 for large beer in St.Anton. €6.50 for small beer.
Nearly double what it was in Zell last year.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Skiwelt is the closest to Munich. Can be under in hour of driving from the airport.

Engelberg is not far from Zurich.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Chick, I paid €4.80 in a restaurant in St Anton last night, though I assume it will be a lot more in the Moose. St Anton is expensive, Skiwelt for example a good deal cheaper
ski holidays
Could you not fly to Geneva and go to les gets, morzine. Found it to be a much cheaper diy trip than austria if you are looking for a short break
snow conditions
@alexsas thanks, I'll have a look at SkiWelt!

@mikeelsa the Geneva flights don't suit our plan unfortunately, we need a Thursday night/early Friday morning flight with a Sunday night flight back to get the most skiing in.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy