Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lost confidence

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

Snowdome lessons are not a substitute for Resort lessons but complement them

Yes...but... the Snowdomes are there all summer, so @Snowweasel could learn and practise over an extended period. It's a long time until next winter. You will need an experienced instructor or coach - at least BASI L3 or equivilent.

In VDI, I've had some great lessons with Nicko Braxton who works for TDC, to give you another recommendation.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was in the same boat and the last time we were in Montgenevre (pre-lockdown) I had a brilliant instructor for a couple of one to one lessons and benefitted so much from them, more so than the group lessons. He basically distracted me by getting me to pass my poles around my body and do other exercises whilst going down a red run to distract me. He could see that I was over thinking things and that I needed to relax and shut the 'noise' out. By doing it, he also showed that I had the ability to ski! In fact, his parting words to my partner was 'make sure he has a glass of wine with breakfast to relax him'. Not been brave enough to try that in a catered chalet in case everyone thinks I have a drink issue! I still do the exercises on the first day when we go away.....
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yellow Snow wrote:
Then suddenly after doing those things on a comfortable gradient in soft, man made snow you are on a hard packed, scraped piste with a heavy camber !!! I do not agree I am afraid, but ultimately we are not the ones' with the issues. I have plenty of my own - that is the joy of a counter intuitive pastime like skiing

my friend who I ride mtb with is a respected mtb coach in the UK and in Whistler. Also a sports psychologist with riders on the world cup and EWS.
We still practice cornering together in the carpark on flat un challenging terrain, you don't learn anything in a pressure situation only back to default mode. Skills learnt in the fridge with a good coach will transfer to the snow and make it easier to ski more comfortably.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
As an addition to all the excellent points already made, if you’re struggling with your head as much as or more than your body, it would be well worth tracking down a copy of Inner Skiing by Timothy Gallwey & Robert Kriegel. It’s pretty old-skool in many ways (written in the 1970s then updated in 1997), BUT the chapter on fear is just as relevant now as it was when it was written. I’ve been using some of the suggested approaches extremely effectively in lessons I’ve been giving nervous skiers of all ages over the past 2 seasons. The bit that I find works particularly well is to use awareness (in the sense of clearly looking at and assessing the reality of what you’re about to ski) as the antidote to fear. And also the importance of discriminating between rational, sensible fear (eg of skiing a slope beyond your current ability) and the kind of fear described above that is based on your imagination more than reality. I’m sure there must be more recent books that address this common issue too, but so far this one’s the best I’ve read. Best of luck (and don’t stop skiing!!!)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Snowweasel can you afford private lessons in resort?

I’m not too egotistic to receive a ‘refresher’ from a good English-speaking instructor at the beginning of most trips, after 50 ski trips. Worth their weight in gold, they sow two or three simple but effective ideas into your mind. I do this for my teens too, even if nonchalantly resistant beforehand, they always comment on how great the instruction was.

Depending on budget, I’d suggest something like lessons on mornings 1, 2 and 4. In between times, just doing your own, improved, gentle skiing on blues. All the time, improving technique and confidence.

I don’t live near any snow domes so cannot advise, but private instruction there can only be a good thing too.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 17-02-23 21:12; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If the problem is in your head, and your body knows what to do:

Sing. Out loud. Your favourite songs.

Your mind will be on the singing while your body gets on with the skiing.

It’s a proven technique. Saw a video on here, someone completed an MTB course far faster singing than silent.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Book: Inner Skiing by Tim Gallwey

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inner-Skiing-Gallwey/dp/0679778276?tag=amz07b-21

Will help a LOT.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Orange200 wrote:

It’s a proven technique. Saw a video on here, someone completed an MTB course far faster singing than silent.

Works for me! “I Predict a Riot” is a particular favourite… Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cacciatore wrote:
Orange200 wrote:

Works for me! “I Predict a Riot” is a particular favourite… Laughing

Jackson Five's Don't blame it on the Boogie got me up some steep drags that were making me tense recently. Got me some looks as well... Embarassed
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Piped music helps my confidence in gloomy conditions. Especially good on drag lifts.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Orange200 wrote:

If its all in your head this technique is very good. It actually translates back your breathing in "pressure" situations .. Same as most people sit with their shoulders hunched and tense and with their tongue pressed against the roof of their mouths.. Even when reading this..without realising. Take a deep breath and relax . Whooping and singing are better than talking yourself down a hill. Talking yourself still has a focus on your "problem" ie I need to go straight here, turn there etc. You need to shift the focus. As you are 90% oh poo-poo and 10% , shift the focus on to the 10% ok and it will become 90% of your perspective and the Oh poo-poo will fade out of your peripheral.
You say your friends are OK , so youre putting the pressure on yourself by "thinking" your making them hang around for you , and the cycle starts.
Reaffirm that your technique is good..."slow down", and go back to basics and build confidence in your ability to be in control. (get lessons)
If you aren't in the mountains then go to a snowcentre where you can at least start building from . There are so many things that can be done there to build confidence there through play and fun skiing. Try a snowboard lesson, try telemark. Join the race club, Go on the training slope and try switch skiing, 360 spins , the plethora of drills available , try skiing the kids jumps and more ...fall back bottom over and try again ...ts not just about flying down a mountain at speed.
Add in physical training as well as the functional ...

Go have fun .. Its what ts all about

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 20-02-23 17:55; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I had exactly the same experience a few seasons (pre lockdown) when I had started my own business - it was primarily 'other people' I was concerned about in a desperate attempt not to get injured / have an accident due to the potential financial repercussions of being unable to work . . .in the big scheme of things it was arguably a fairly irrational fear (you cannot control the actions of others) but a fear nevertheless and one that made me uncharacteristically nervy / unconfident; busier French resorts became stressful, particularly busy intersections / home runs at the end of the day . . .I had an awful trip to Sauze D'Oulx where conditions were poor and it was rammed; I spent most of the time eating!

TBF I still to this day don't like 'busy' resorts and will try to pick runs (whatever the gradient) that are more likely to be empty - also skiing from first lifts and retiring after a late lunch all contribute to more relaxing skiing for me. Try choosing a resort that's either off the beaten track or just generally more civilised - head above the parapet that means ditching most of the big french resorts for a start! Obergurgl is great for confidence building - could just be me but there's a better standard of skiers overall and a lot more 'grey hair' . . .my recent trip to Trysil was also fantastic in terms of empty slopes and waay more courteous skiers full stop . . .the only thing that made me nervous there was the bar bill!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks everybody. Some great suggestions. I'm going to take some development lessons in Xscape, Castleford over the summer and try to get some private lessons early season ( premier neige time) with one of the excellent instructors suggested on here. Oh, and singing on the piste. Sounds fun! Seriously, great to read so many supportive and positive messages. I'm not giving up!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Snowweasel, Come back and tell us how you get on.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Belch, crowded pistes spook me more than anything too. I know I'm usually capable of putting in a quick turn to avoid someone I've spotted, but it's the people behind me and, now that my peripheral vision on one side is a bit compromised, on my left, who are the worry.
snow report
@Snowweasel, great to hear. Good luck!
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
@Belch, crowded pistes spook me more than anything too. I know I'm usually capable of putting in a quick turn to avoid someone I've spotted, but it's the people behind me and, now that my peripheral vision on one side is a bit compromised, on my left, who are the worry.

I just stick to the fall line when its silly busy - short turns all the way down although this does contribute to being knackered quicker and therefore an earlier alcoholic drink than usual . .
ski holidays
Snowweasel wrote:
Thanks everybody. Some great suggestions. I'm going to take some development lessons in Xscape, Castleford over the summer and try to get some private lessons early season ( premier neige time) with one of the excellent instructors suggested on here. Oh, and singing on the piste. Sounds fun! Seriously, great to read so many supportive and positive messages. I'm not giving up!

Personally I think this is an EXCELLENT strategy. Good luck. One other little trick…. Hold your poles just by thumb and fore finger only… relaxes all muscles in arms and much of upper body and allows you to feel less stressed and more focused on the important bit … what the legs and skis are doing interaction wise with the snow.
ski holidays
Snowweasel wrote:

Personally I think this is an EXCELLENT strategy. Good luck. One other little trick…. Hold your poles just by thumb and fore finger only… relaxes all muscles in arms and much of upper body and allows you to feel less stressed and more focused on the important bit … what the legs and skis are doing interaction wise with the snow.
latest report
@Belch,
Quote:

I just stick to the fall line when its silly busy - short turns all the way down
Agreed, but the problem is the line. If you stick to the middle of the piste, you're sent off course by people traversing, falling etc, whilst if you stick to the edge, that will be the preferred route for a testosterone-fuelled straight-liner.
ski holidays
Quote:

Hold your poles just by thumb and fore finger only…

This is interesting. I no longer use pole straps, so probably hang on to my poles a bit too hard sometimes. I suspect that we could all benefit from getting rid of poles, now and again, as instructors sometimes do in lessons. Little of what we do nowadays really needs poles. It's interesting how people react if you suggest they do a couple of easy laps without poles - or just hand their poles over to you for a bit. Absolute panic, sometimes! I have skied without poles with small kids sometimes, and also liked not having poles with snow blades. Makes you feel more free. Pisteurs lope around without poles so they can carry stuff. Use body weight and arms to move forward - skate. I do sometimes hold my poles horizontally, in the middle, when just pottering around.
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
@Belch,
Quote:

I just stick to the fall line when its silly busy - short turns all the way down
Agreed, but the problem is the line. If you stick to the middle of the piste, you're sent off course by people traversing, falling etc, whilst if you stick to the edge, that will be the preferred route for a testosterone-fuelled straight-liner.

Stick to the side obvs . . .exaggerate your pole plants by sticking the slope side one out at a jaunty angle thereby hopefully decapitating any out of control straight liners

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 20-02-23 17:33; edited 1 time in total
snow report
When it's busy I do glance over shoulder before turning and then "hand signal" with the new uphill arm.
snow report
@Belch,
Quote:

sticking the slope side one out at a jaunty angle
Now that's a fine idea/good use of poles! I shall stick as close to the side as will enable me to hold both poles out at a jaunty angle, while simultaneously practising 'pole plant free' short radius turns. And maybe I shall get a warm welcome from a man in a white coat at the bottom of the slope. Toofy Grin
latest report
Hurtle wrote:
@Belch,
Quote:

sticking the slope side one out at a jaunty angle
Now that's a fine idea/good use of poles! I shall stick as close to the side as will enable me to hold both poles out at a jaunty angle, while simultaneously practising 'pole plant free' short radius turns. And maybe I shall get a warm welcome from a man in a white coat at the bottom of the slope. Toofy Grin

I wouldn't be embarrassed about this either - if you lock your skis together and push your booty out when completing each turn you'll look like an oldskool french skiing god/godess
snow conditions
@Belch, perfect. I tend to old skool in any event, on account of my age. wink
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
@Belch, perfect. I tend to old skool in any event, on account of my age. wink

Ditto - I don't carve - I skarve
snow report
@pam w, yeah, it's interesting. I do recall being asked to zip éine some bumps without poles Shocked rolling eyes ... well that didn't go so well.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That's a bit extreme, @under a new name, but if a beginner or intermediate skier panics at the suggestion that they might slide down an easy slope without poles, something is wrong.
latest report
bambionskiis wrote:
@Snowweasel, I completely get where you’re coming from. With me it’s completely in my head. My husband watches me and describe my skiing as “technically excellent” and my ski instructor friend says my skiing is “really rather good”. However that doesn’t translate to my head because I’m just anxious. Sometimes I’m able to shake it off and glide down but most of the time I’m imagining what it’s going to be like to fall, what’ll happen if I injure myself, worrying about the trajectories of other skiers and catastrophising about situations. It’s exhausting and definitely worse as I’ve gotten older and skiing with my very supportive family. Worse because I worried about the kids too and transferred onto them. Me and hubby are skiing alone for the first time in ages this year so that will be interesting but he pointed out yesterday that now it’s getting closer, I’m already talking about injuries etc and “building myself up”.

One year I listened to a fear of skiing hypnotherapy download and that helped some. I should also point out that I don’t generally suffer from anxiety (except flying - that’s terrifying too!!) and am quiet a relaxed person usually but skiing brings this out in me. I don’t fall much fortunately but when I have I’ve used it as a weapon for my future skiing.

Im far worse when skiing with others because I get that constant “I’m holding them up” feeling. Plus by the time I catch up they’re rested and ready to go and I don’t get a chance to catch my breath. I found it better to do runs with my family to get familiar and then do them on my own.

So what I’m saying is, I do agree what others are saying about instructors and technique but in my case, it’s not that simple because my battle is with my head.

Reading this I’m sure some will be thinking for god’s sake give up skiing, but when all is said and done I do actually love it. I just don’t love the anxiety I feel which accompanies it. Complex huh?!! Very Happy

I think you’ve just described exactly what must be going through my husband’s head, so this has made me appreciate what he might be thinking and why he’s not loving it. Fortunately he’s willing to try again so I’m going to save this post to re-read before we go!
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Hold your poles just by thumb and fore finger only…

This is interesting. I no longer use pole straps, so probably hang on to my poles a bit too hard sometimes. I suspect that we could all benefit from getting rid of poles, now and again, as instructors sometimes do in lessons.

Pole-free exercises are often useful for people who are actively doing things with their poles that are detrimental to their progression. Some learners will use them to 'push' when they've failed to gain enough speed to make their next plough turn, for example, so we might remove poles for a while to get around this.

pam w wrote:
Little of what we do nowadays really needs poles.

Need? Well sure, but we don't 'need' a lot of the things that can make skiing easier and better.

There are many situations where we can use poles to our advantage, sometimes as a help with overall stance or body weight issues, sometimes just as an aid to timing the turn, sometimes even as a weight-bearing pivot to help a jump turn on an unpredictable surface. Teaching proper use of poles is something I've found to be of tremendous use for some quite experienced adult skiers, sometimes enabling a dramatic and immediately noticeable improvement in a very short time.

Oh, and I mustn't forget the pole technique I learned from Sally Chapman many years ago - when leading a group and you've stopped at the side of the piste to talk, particularly as an instructor you may have your back to the piste, so just wave your poles uphill and behind you in a random pattern; it's astonishing how much more space is left by the mad idiots who normally ski too close when they see a sharp pointy stick facing them Very Happy
snow conditions
You are not alone and many factors can cause a dip in confidence, personally it was someone skiing into me on a black in La Plagne and me tearing my knee ligament (MCL). I now take a few hours tuition in resort for the first few days, firstly to help with technique, and then latterly acting as a guide to help me challenge myself and keep up with my daughter's desire to go all over the mountain! I feel a good instructor is invaluable to improving technique and confidence and means I enjoy my treasured few weeks skiing every year. Good luck.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy