Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Polartec Alpha - best Midlayer material I've ever used

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ok so I was preparing for my first ski trip in 7 years. Used a good hiking hardshell and had all my old base layers. Had my eye on alpha fabric for years and now had an excuse to treat myself to one, effectively retiring a thin fleece and a long-serving merino full zip top that both performed admirably in cold but if temps warmed or if I was putting in huge effort (say hiking back up a slope with two sets of skis) I'd start to speedily melt.

Sweet Moses it's brilliant. Best used with a hardshell - obviously - but as a material it's a complete winner. So thin yet keeps just the right amount of heat, then when I run hot, opening pit zips and pockets just lets the air flow through the alpha and the sense of immediate heat regulation is remarkable.

As a material it'll be my midlayer of choice for good.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
100% agree
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@hang11, Nothing beats flannel? Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@dingbat, yep, concur. For touring it's superb.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
AL9000 wrote:
@hang11, Nothing beats flannel? Crying or Very sad

Been in Japan for a couple of weeks and puki yuki has exceeded the capabilities of even my most technical flannel.

So gore tex with merino base and alpha mid is the go for long days in deep snow Eh oh!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
which alpha mid are you guys using - there seems to be a 'fleece type' or a 'puffer type'.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@rogg, Alpha direct. I've got a couple - a Rab alpha direct jacket and a Macpac Nitro hoodie. Both great but the macpac one comes in at 90 grams, so is great as a packable mid layer for touring. I tend to wear it for touring because it doesn't get warm as an outer layer, just dumps heat, but chuck a soft-shell over it and it gets warm quick, so great for the uphill without faff of adding and removing layers all the time.

The alpha jackets with a face fabric like pertex are less breathable but work better as an outer layer. Also good.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy