Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

British skier dies after high speed accident, Meribel

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/02/12/british-skier-dies-high-speed-accident-french-resort/

A British tourist has died following an off-piste skiing accident in the French Alps, emergency services confirmed on Sunday.

The man, 50, suffered a cardiac arrest and multiple injuries after a heavy fall in the afternoon, the management of local ski operator Meribel Alpina said.

The accident took place in the Saulire sector in the alpine resort of Meribel, where the world skiing championships are currently underway.

The skier was pronounced dead at the scene of the accident, according to local media reports.

A ski station operator reportedly witnessed the accident as it unfolded and described the man as “taking off” into the air before he landed at a “very high speed”.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good you mention this.

The director of the Aguille du Midi cable car also died in a ski fall over the weekend as well as an American skier in Chamonix. After weeks of anticyclonic weather the snow is very hard and icy in some places and needs care (and good edges).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sad

Quote:
After weeks of anticyclonic weather the snow is very hard and icy in some places and needs care (and good edges).

That is certainly the case here in StA. Some pistes, after the corduroy has been scraped off, are slick & hard. I have seen many people spearing off in random directions after losing control; fortunately none that I saw resulted in collisions.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@ulmerhutte, what I found yesterday. Generally it wasn't bad on piste but in some areas the snow had been scraped down to ice by the passage of skiers. Off piste was a mixed bag too.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
davidof wrote:
Good you mention this.

The director of the Aguille du Midi cable car also died in a ski fall over the weekend as well as an American skier in Chamonix. After weeks of anticyclonic weather the snow is very hard and icy in some places and needs care (and good edges).

We watched the drama of the rescue/recovery unfold from the Patrol base at work. None of understand why you would be on a South facing slope in no fall terrain after 3pm (it was nearly 4) in the afternoon!

Off the back of Mont Jolly/ Aiguilles Crochues towards cote 2000. (Came from the drag lift at Les Contamines, not ski touring as reported in the papers)

The young American was under the col Cornu Chairlift.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
davidof wrote:
Good you mention this.

My ribs are confirmation of this following a stack on ice in ADH last week - I needed edges like a samurai sword by Friday

Off piste!!!!!?????......whilst I am not trying to demean the poor man's death as it is tragic, was there actually any decent off piste available??
ADH needs a good half a metre on piste - let alone off.
Meribel can get icy at the best of times
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
davidof wrote:
Good you mention this.

Definitely good to make all aware.

Skiing in Hochgurgl the first week of April last year, most pistes were like concrete. On one chair lift ride we saw three late teens in three separate incidents screw their knees it appeared (single person incidents), falling with their legs trapped under themselves, then screaming.

Our instructor explained that January and February 2022 had been arid with almost relentless high winds, blowing any soft stuff away.

Then on our penultimate day in a literal whiteout I smashed my face up, falling in slow-mo over a mountain of unbashed powder, head first into concrete like ice on piste.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
More detail on the Chamonix incidents.

https://www.chamonix.net/english/news/olivier-chamel-manager-of-aiguille-du-midi-ski-lift-company-fell-to-death-in-megeve
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy