Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saas Fee

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Mrs JB has been doing a bit of research for our proposed Chrimbo trip. Inghams has some reasonably priced H/B accommadation in the resort. The brochure states that all are pretty central, but doesn't say distance from ski lifts. Any ideas?

Hotel Elite

Hotel Dom

Sport Hotel

What is resort like? I've never been to Switzerland.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
johnboy, can't comment on the hotels as I've only ever stayed in Saas Grund. There are several resort reports for Saas Fee....check them out and then fire away with questions.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
johnboy, Total Ski seem to have a nice place in Saas Fee
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers Liz and Frosty the Snowman,
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
johnboy, we love going to Saas-Fee, so you shouln't go there - let's keep the number of visitors down Laughing . The Elite is up a steepish (in skiboots) hill, the Sport is a longish walk to the lifts and nursery slopes. The Dom is the oldest hotel in town, but on the flat and nearest of the three to both the lifts and the nursery slopes and ski school meeting place - say about 5 minutes in ski boots.

We've not stayed or eaten at the Elite or the Sporthotel, but we have done both at the Dom. The rooms are OK and the half-board meals are OK. You could describe the restaurant area as rustic or perhaps faded. A couple of other things about the Dom. The SCGB rep holds his/her evening gathering at the Dom in the Living Room lounge. The Living Room lounge is supposed to have a minimum age of 21 which could be inconvenient if you are holidaying with kids, but this is not enforced early evenings. We have seen complaints about the noise from the Living Room later in the evening (it's supposed to be one of Saas-Fee's in places), but didn't experience any problems ourselves.

Bear in mind the village is at 1800m and the slopes go up to 3500m. That means it can be COLD! Some of the slopes are on the glaciers which means they are T-bars and one is quite long. There is a reasanable range of slopes, although the transition from the nursery slopes to the mountain can be testing for some beginners and there is nothing especially demanding for advanced skiers (unless you take a guide and go off-piste - which we haven't done). The best lunchtime restaurants are the new one at Morenia, the Gletschergrotte and at Plattjen.

If you want to ski elsewhere I think Imghams will probably do a day trip to Zermatt, otherwise you can organise the trip yourself by bus and train or with Reisburo Imseng (on the way to the nursery slopes).

Can't tell you much about apres-ski. We usually go out to eat, but there are supposed to be several lively places - the Inghams reps will know.

Tell us the dates if you book and say if you think I've left anything out.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Derek Jackson, Thanks Derek Very Happy

We'll let you know what we decide on!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mrs johnboy, I'll agree with Derek Jackson, about the cold, we were in Saas Fee in Jan and one day was the coldest I've ever skiied in, some of the drags on the glacier are in the shade in the afternoon at that time of year. Also this year not a all the resort was open in Jan because of lack of snow cover on the glacier, whether this happens every year I'm not sure, but it limited my options quite a bit and as it's not a big resort it cut out big chunks of the area.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mrs H and I visited Saas Fee a few years ago - over New Year - here's the resort report:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewpost.php?p=110802

We stayed at the Hotel Bristol - which is right next to the nursery slopes, I remember it being good value for money. I don't really remember where the other Hotels you mention are - you could try looking for a map on the website.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cheers Hoppo,

Mrs JB has now come up with a very rempting deal to Livigno, so still deciding
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
johnboy, Why not wait until you win the holiday wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Frosty the Snowman,

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
johnboy, I've just booked with Inghams for the Christmas week, staying at the Hotel Elite. The hotel's website here says that they provide a free ski and ski boot depot near to the lifts and skischool, so hopefully that may avoid the need to walk up the hill in skiboots which Derek Jackson mentioned Toofy Grin .
It will be my first time to Saas Fee, so am looking forward to it. If you and Mrs JB do decide to go to Saas Fee, let me know and maybe we can have a Snowheads Christmas meet (and drink)! snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've done a few Christmases in Saas Fee (with Inghams), self-catering.

There does tend to be a bit of walking about the village but it's well worth it, and if your hotel doesn't provide slopeside lockers, you can hire them for 2 or 3 Francs a day so you don't have to carry stuff or walk in ski boots.

It's one of my favourite resorts - nice atmosphere, traffic free, and great for a warm-up week.

Mind you, last December it snowed and snowed and snowed.... on the last night... after a week on concrete....
It was still good, though.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I almost went for Saas Fee last year - only didn't because it was our first trip and we wanted to go for 2 weeks with lessons etc so the cost was a bit prohibitive (and I'm a bit of a tart when it comes to hotels... Smile ) . We ended up going to Austria but thats besides the point.

I'm tempted to go next trip however- the height sounds cool (where i was in Ski Welt it was quite low relatively), traffic free resort sounds nice, and a bit nearer than where the girlfriend wants to go (CANADA!!!)

Thanks for the useful insight though chaps Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy