Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Daleboot canted sole/binding afd

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone, I have a pair of daleboot boots with the canted heel/toe pieces. Out of interest and because I'd watched a setup vid on the afd adjustment of marker griffon 13 id bindings I checked mine. The correct adjustment seems to be that you can get a business card or similar between toe piece and afd with slight pressure. On my setup one side of the toe is too tight and the other too loose instead of being one uniform gap. This I'm guessing is because of the canted toe piece?? I'm aware and will be getting these checked by someone qualified but can anyone let me know what the correct pressure should be in this case? Either one side the correct pressure and the other abit loose or one side correct and the other a bit tight? Hope this makes sense to someone! Thanks in advance for any ideas..
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sounds like a flawed design to me, the upper piece of the boot toe is presumably part of the shell, so fits under the toe wings of the binding and the canted lower part of the sole sits on the afd? If so, there's always going to be a wedge shape which compromises both cant and correct adjustment......
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
KenX wrote:
Sounds like a flawed design to me, the upper piece of the boot toe is presumably part of the shell, so fits under the toe wings of the binding and the canted lower part of the sole sits on the afd? If so, there's always going to be a wedge shape which compromises both cant and correct adjustment......

I agree KenX this is the same take I have on it, to make an angle you will always end up with a wedge shape and so compromise the toe/afd interface. Although not the most common boots this design has been around along time so hoping someone has experiance of it??
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Canted boot shafts or binding shims would work better!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

the upper piece of the boot toe is presumably part of the shell

I have some 12-year old Daleboots with a 3 degree cant applied - on those the toe piece is attached to the lower sole so is parallel (ditto at the heel). Perhaps something has changed in the design since then though...

I'm afraid I never looked too closely at the afd adjustment with those boots, but I didn't have an obvious toe release problem with them.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@ShakiraShakira, looking at images of Daleboots toe and heel pieces, it looks like they are complete units which attach to the shell, so should work fine and not give the OP's problem, unless somehow the L and R soles were mixed up in some way on install?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@td1108, try putting the boots on a flat surface and see if they lay flat?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
And welcome to Snowheads btw!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@KenX, yes, agree - this is mine (again, quite an old one)

The only other thing I can think of is wear - the sole on mine did wear a bit asymmetrically, I guess because of the canting. But obviously that shouldn't be the case if they're fairly new.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
All good comments/ideas thanks, the boots were new last season and have only done 4 long weekends so far so wear isn't the issue. I've just placed the boots on a flat surface and they do rock from side to side. I'm new to skiing having had to retire from snowboarding due to a shattered ankle and subsequent ankle fusion. Part of the reason I want to make sure the settings are ok and the release not hindered. I'll give Richard at Daleboot a call as well to see if he can shed some light as seems a strange design/concept to me..
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes, it doesn't sound quite right, so probably a question for Richard. Hope you can get it sorted!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@td1108, Double check the L soles are on the L boot and vice versa, don't know how they're marked, arrows to outside?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@KenX, All seems to be ok, extra material on toe and heel unit are on the same side of boot to make the cant/angle. I'd post a pic but can't work out how!? I've left a message asking Richard from Daleboot to contact me so hopefully he will and can shed some light
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@td1108, sounds like you have worn the corner of the sole pad a little, the dale boot canted pads are angled but a parallel block, its the interface to the shell that is angled to create the canting angle
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@CEM, Glad to hear the canted pad shouldn't affect the binding afd. I've checked for wear but there's bearly any. I hardly ever walk in the boots due to the heel being so lifted to accomodate my fused ankle it's far from comfortable (i carry trainers in my bag) and they've only done 4 weekends.
ski holidays
@td1108, only other things i can think of either is there is some grit between the shell and the sole piece or is the binding itself not square
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy