Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Obergurgl in March- Snow OK?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Given the snow dumps in January, and the cold weather so far since, would anyone venture an opinion on whether they'd expect Obergurgl to hold up well 12th March and following week?

It would be a first Austria trip for us, so not terribly sure what area forum to ask in. Ta.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
High and cold, they will have the cannon(s) if needed - good choice for mid March
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Charliegolf, Given it is so high the snow there is as likely to be decent as anywhere. March is probably a better time than earlier in the season as it can be pretty bleak in bad weather (hardly a tree to be seen). I assume you are aware it is a pretty small place, ideal for families but not much to do in the evenings outside of your hotel. If you are looking for some more traditional Austrian apres atmosphere you would be better off in somewhere like Ischgl or St Anton amongst other places (there is mounds of snow in Austria should be well enough everywhere to last until the end of the season even with the current dry interlude)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If Obergurgl is struggling at that time then there would be no hope for a lot of other resorts.

Its high and as snow sure as it gets in Austria without a glacier.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Charliegolf wrote:
Given the snow dumps in January, and the cold weather so far since, would anyone venture an opinion on whether they'd expect Obergurgl to hold up well 12th March and following week?

It would be a first Austria trip for us, so not terribly sure what area forum to ask in. Ta.

I've been 3 times or so in March, and last year in April

Snow fine all times. It's mostly west facing and is high.

You can also ski Solden on the same pass, just 20mins by bus. I went 2 days out of 6 last year - the slopes start lower, and below mid station(ish) aren't that great.. but that's in April.

Obergurgl area smaller, quiet village. Solden is a lot livelier but really not particularly nice as a village.

Obergurgl is the highest non-glacier resort in Austria (Solden has two glaciers, though one is just flat and takes 5 lifts to reach), and has one of the longest ski seasons

What I am saying is March is absolutely fine!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Been going to Obergurgl in mid-late March for 9 nine years (except Covid). Even with last years Saharan sandstorm and super warm temps there was plenty to go at and it only got slushy mid afternoon on the lower slopes
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We stayed in Hochgurgl the first week of April last year. We prefer the slopes to Obergurgl’s - wide smooth blues, reds and a couple of blacks, everything makes sense, no lower slush, no churned up home run and less crowded.

Highly recommend.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy