Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski buying advice for a progressing intermediate skier

Poster: A snowHead
I’m having difficulty deciding which skis are best for me to purchase for next season. Lots of websites suggest different options and there’s so many to choose from!

Background: I’ve been skiing for a total of 4 weeks, but can navigate all pisted runs on the mountain quite easily so long as the conditions aren’t awful. I’ve started exploring off piste and being a bit more playful with my skis, but nothing too extravagant yet because the skis I’ve been using haven’t been set up for it.

I weigh about 72Kg and am 185cm tall. I’ve been running some Salomon X-Drive 80 Ti s but would like to go for something a little wider to get about all of the mountain. I rented some skis with a 90 waist for a day last week and was able to carve on them quite well by the end of the day.

Some of the skis I’ve seen mentioned are:

Nordica Enforcers 94 (or 100)
Black Crows Serpo
Fischer 102 Fr
K2 Mindbender 90 Ti
Volkl Mantra M6

Any help would be hugely appreciated, thanks!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have Nordica Enforcer 88's and really like them. They're a bit sluggish at very slow speeds and quite a heavy ski, but once you're moving they're a very stable ski that's easy to turn and quick from edge to edge.

I've not skied any other skis in your list though so can't compare them though.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My advice? Ignore the internet and try some different skis yourself, either at a ski test, or by speaking to a ski shop in resort to either hire/swap or pre-purchase test different skis.

Just because some ski tester writing on the Internet likes a particular pair of skis doesn't mean you will and it's suprosing just how different 2 outwardly similar planks can feel when you clip into them.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well done at progressing so quickly - it's taken me more than double that to get to your standard Cool

I've been skiing a Salomon QST 92 for a couple of years now and they are absolutely fine on piste, pretty light compared to the rentals I was skiing previously and more capable than me in the slushy bumps and side piste chop i've been playing about in.

I picked mine up ridiculously cheap in an out of season sale at Glisshop because it was Covid and they were last season's model
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I wouldn’t personally consider the Mantras as a suitable ski after 4 weeks experience - but echoing the advice from @Mjit above, definitely suggest that you demo various skis in resort in different conditions before thinking about buying.

More importantly, if you don’t have your own ski boots yet (there wasn’t any mention of boots in your original post), then don’t consider ski purchase!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Agree on Boots first. Skis: I'd try some (if you can), then buy in summer when price lowest for previous season stuff. I usually work backwards - find the offer, then see if this ski or board works for me by checking spec/reviews/flex etc.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thank you so much for the advice everyone, some super great input! Ski boots were the first thing I bought, and will likely remain the best but if kit I’ll ever buy.

I think the ‘try before you buy’ method sounds like the way to go, I probably won’t be on the snow again though till next season so may have to forfeit the sale prices if I do. That sounds like the smart sacrifice to do!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I agree with getting trying before you buy first. The rest of this response is less important but reflects my 40 years ’experience as an ex instructor who still skis about 70 - 80 days a year split between piste and technical ski routes/off piste.

If you are set on buying I would recommend skis in the 82 -88 range. (This excludes Nordica Enforcer 100s which are incidentally my go to ski for off piste - I have three pairs - but would be „too much ski „ and very difficult to manoeuvre on piste for anyone with 4 weeks experience, however athletic and talented you are. (Bytw I like and trust the Enforcer 100s precisely because they are so stable & predictable in „awful“ = „interesting“ conditions, but despite all my experience they can be „hard work“ on a busy piste.) I have the Enforcer 88 for soft snow and side of the piste - but again they are stiff and would be no fun after only 4 weeks experience when your technique is still developing. (For the same reason I wouldn’t recommend you the much lauded Kästle MX 83/84 skis which I use on piste in hard snow/ice)…Rather, I‘d recommend something quite forgiving such as the Völkl Kanjo (not Kendo) or maybe the Blizzard Brahma 82 (not the traditional „88“ version). I demo‘d both the Kanjo and Brahma 82 on piste recently (trying everything from Stem Christies to short swings) for a friend who has about 10 weeks skiing experience and wanted a second opinion before buying and I was impressed at how versatile they both were.. not sure this helps - but at least I regularly ski (most recently today!) both sets of Enforcers which were referenced in the thread.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My suggestion would be Rossignol Experience Basalt (ie. not the Ti version) - either 82 or 86, depending on how much time away from the groomed runs you intend to do (Though 82 may be too close to what you have). They are AM skis with a Piste bias, that are fun and forgiving....yet should give decent performance. They have a design that should help away from the Piste. Like others have said, if possible, try before you buy.

You are reasonably light, with 4 weeks experience - so imv want to be careful not to get something too stiff and demanding. You also want something that allows you to progress your carving.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 10-02-23 10:59; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jamamamut wrote:
I think the ‘try before you buy’ method sounds like the way to go, I probably won’t be on the snow again though till next season so may have to forfeit the sale prices if I do. That sounds like the smart sacrifice to do!

If you're based in the UK head over to the Events section and try to get to one if the Oktobertest events
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thank you for all of the advice on this thread! I’ve certainly been given food for though in what sort of skis to try out when the time comes, and the ski heads ski event seems like an ideal opportunity to try some out Eh oh!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Old Fartbag wrote:
My suggestion would be Rossignol Experience Basalt (ie. not the Ti version) - either 82 or 86, depending on how much time away from the groomed runs you intend to do (Though 82 may be too close to what you have). They are AM skis with a Piste bias, that are fun and forgiving....yet should give decent performance. They have a design that should help away from the Piste. Like others have said, if possible, try before you buy.

You are reasonably light, with 4 weeks experience - so imv want to be careful not to get something too stiff and demanding. You also want something that allows you to progress your carving.

I hired a pair of these recently and was really impressed. I think they sound like they'd be perfect for the OP.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
milzibkit wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:

I hired a pair of these recently and was really impressed. I think they sound like they'd be perfect for the OP.

Which width did you get?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Old Fartbag wrote:
milzibkit wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:

Which width did you get?

86. They had a good edge on hard packed piste but also helped get through the heavier stuff off piste. My ability level is probably similar to the OP, just with more weeks taken to get there!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@milzibkit, Excellent. Personal feedback could be more useful to the OP.
ski holidays
I got some Atomic Bent 90s a couple of weeks ago. I’m very impressed with them. I’ve skied them on and off piste for about 7 days now (not really had any decent powder yet) and they (and I) have coped well with everything thrown at them. I skied quite a lot of bumps on them today and they are a lot of fun.

Another ski to add to your to consider list.

I have the 175s. You’re a touch taller than me and a couple of kg lighter.
snow report
If you like the sensation of carving, dont go above 17m turn radius.
I have just had 2 weeks with a new pair of Nordica enforcer110 free(s) I won't be bothering to take any other ski away with me next time! All of my 3 pairs of other skis are going up for sale.
If the other widths in the Enforcer range have anywhere near the edge grip that the 110s have, they will put a smile on any keen carvers face.
My 110s are 177cm length and 16.5 radius, the only thing I would say is that the radius is a bit too big for carving on steeper runs without achieving warp speed so I might look at a super short 11/12m radius ski as a dedicated piste ski.
Don't be tepted to go willy waving with a longer ski than recommended, at 177cm, my Enforcers are one or two sizes smaller than recommended, a slight compromise on high speed stability but soooo much more fun in the bumps & offpiste.
snow conditions
@Jamamamut, did you end up choosing any particular skis and could post an update? I'm in a very similar position to you and amidst researching suitable skis to purchase.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy