Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski insurance - a worthless Italian mafia job

Poster: A snowHead

Subject: R: EXT sinistro Snowcare VDA 2023/649
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2023 10:52:27 +0000

Dear Sirs,
we've been entitled to handle the claim in object by the Insurance Company «Cognome» «Nome», E.U. registered company operating in Italy, in accordance to the regulations of the Italian Insurance Authority (IVASS).

Concerning your request of refund, from the documents we received from you, and according to policy conditions we can't accept your request, as the rescue service hasn't been activated at the scene of the accident on the slopes.

This condition is necessary to activate the policy coverage and it is written in the brochure that is available at the ticket office : ".VALIDITY OF THE INSURANCE: The INSURANCE is valid exclusively in case of request and intervention by SLOPE AID services at the scene of the CLAIM."

Best regards.

Gestione sinistri

Tel: +39 02 20564444

Basically if you try to save them money by making your way back off the slope (because you aren't injured badly enough) the crooks pay you nothing.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
what is happened?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ski injury, a claim for £200 for the clinic, and a claim for unusable ski pass days. This is what the insurance is for, the staff at the ski pass office said so, but there is a get-out: it is valid only if they took you off the slopes and drove you to the clinic (or to the hospital).
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Seems reasonable, how else can they check that you are claiming for a skiing injury?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
presumably the £200 for the clinic and then non use of lift pass, would be proof enough.

unless they are used to dodgy clinicians/mafiosa falsifying medical invoices because you could not be arsed to ski for several days!!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm guessing that this was insurance bought with the ski pass.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hmm. What insurance did you have? UK or local? I think it's always best to involve the ski patrol even for something quite minor. Certainly for any injury where you are likely to be claiming on insurance.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think the OP is confused. If you have the insurance with the lift pass, slope aid can scan your lift pass and remove you to hospital, if necessary, gratis. its a very limited insurance which is why is only costs a few euros. ulitimately it only rally stops you having to pay at source for that stuff as you could retro claim from regualr holiday insurance.

Your holiday insurance winter sports cover are there for unused lift pass o/seas medical exes and the big stuff like medical repat to the UK and cancellation due to illness etc - claim from them.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bought with the ski pass, about 30 euros extra.

Confused?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Peter Stevens, These are standard Snowcare conditions, not any sort of scam.

If you take it in Champoluc (at least) from a human at a window - they are usually/always? pretty clear to reinforce that you need to report to their phone number and then follow their directions. Otherwise you aren't covered. It's also clearly on the little card that you get handed with a physical card.

I haven't paid attention to what happens when you buy online.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Your holiday insurance winter sports cover are there for unused lift pass

Not necessarily. When my OH had to fly home from La Plagne to deal with emergency at home our UK insurance paid for his travel, including taxi to and from airport both ends, but not the 5 days unused lift pass. They said I would have to claim that locally but as we had not bought Carte Neige insurance, that wasn't covered. I know better now.

With the local insurance (which I did have, as well as UK insurance, when I broke my pelvis) there was only one option for the piste patrol to take me to - small resort, with just one clinic. But in some cases there could be more than one, and there's also sometimes an option to take you to a state facility. The cost implications for the insurer could all be different - it's always essential to involve them upfront, before making any potentially costly decisions. If you had turned out to be more seriously injured (e.g. with a concussion or an intercranial bleed which caught up with you in the night) they could also have washed their hands of it.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I posted it as a heads-up. Sure it is not a scam - well no more than anything else in Italy Wink

The claim was worth maybe £400, which is only a fairly average taxi ride in the ski business.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Peter Stevens, you did say they were crooks. |It's easy to fail to read the small print - we've all done it, but it doesn't make it their fault.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Peter Stevens, I vaguely remember that I also had to use their system for an accident where I was using Carte Neige, not their insurance ... (just cos the lifties weren't trained in anything else ...)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The small print doesn't say this when you buy the ski pass.
latest report
So you didn't read the conditions and so they denied your claim. It's not exactly a secret that insurance companies are in business to minimise their payouts. Caveat emptor I'd say.

How are the ski boots doing? Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:

It's not exactly a secret that insurance companies are in business to minimise their payouts.

It makes no financial sense to insure against risks you can afford to carry. If I could be guaranteed that I would be safely off a ski slope and patched up for a few thousand pounds I wouldn't have paid £££££ over the years for insurance. I insure the contents of my house but I'm really not sure why. As opposed to insuring it against burning down, which definitely makes sense.
snow report
The usual gang is back, I see Smile Time to go.
The zipfit boot liners are sh*t, but you knew that. Manufacturing defect. I have to use shin protectors. I made some from neoprene. The only good thing about zipfits is that they work well getting in and out of the boots with the liners on the feet.
Enjoy your skiing Smile
ski holidays
Peter Stevens wrote:
The usual gang is back, I see Smile Time to go.
The zipfit boot liners are sh*t, but you knew that. Manufacturing defect. I have to use shin protectors. I made some from neoprene. The only good thing about zipfits is that they work well getting in and out of the boots with the liners on the feet.
Enjoy your skiing Smile

Too bad on the zipfits. Mine are the best liners I've ever had and have taken my bootwhining to unheralded low levels Laughing
snow conditions
@t44tomo, what resort are you referring to? The cover bought with lift passes varies quite a bit. Some (e.g. Carre Neige) cover far more than you describe, although in my view general duplicate cover already provided by decent travel insurance with winter sports cover.
It you do purchase insurance as an add on to the lift pass, it's worth checking how you prove you have it, which might require carrying the paper receipt.
ski holidays
@Peter Stevens, where was this? If you're posting this as a heads-up to others, it would be helpful to know.
snow report
Quote:

t you do purchase insurance as an add on to the lift pass, it's worth checking how you prove you have it, which might require carrying the paper receipt

Yes, if you purchase separately from the lift pass, you have to carry a receipt - or did, last time I did this for somebody visiting me, but the person selling it (France) made that extremely clear. If it had been bought WITH the lift pass, at the outset, it would have been noted electronically on the pass itself.

I have no idea how the Italian version works but would be interested to find out more as I'm skiing in Italy later this month.
latest report
sugarmoma666 wrote:
@t44tomo, what resort are you referring to? The cover bought with lift passes varies quite a bit. Some (e.g. Carre Neige) cover far more than you describe, although in my view general duplicate cover already provided by decent travel insurance with winter sports cover.
It you do purchase insurance as an add on to the lift pass, it's worth checking how you prove you have it, which might require carrying the paper receipt.

Carre Neige is France and France wide. OP is was in Italy. Italy more fragmented I think. I was in Via Lattea - details of its limited coverage (it also includes some 3rd party liability) is below.

Quote:
The “Vialattea Sci Noproblem” policy is offered by Sestrieres S.p.A. at the price of € 3.50 per day for ski passes of 1 to 4 days, € 15.00 for ski passes of 5 to 8 days and € 20.00 for ski passes of 9 to 15 days.

https://www.vialattea.it/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/50x70_SCI-NoProblem-ENG_giornaliero_22-23-2.pdf
snow report
I quite like the idea of mafia ski insurance - its free, and they'll blood wagon you off the mountain, but someday, and that day may never come, they may call on you to do a service for them, but until that day, accept this sledge ride as a gift, on this, the day of the marriage of their daughter... plus mob doctors are really good at fixing kneecaps.
snow report
The Mafia skipass - an offer you can't refuse.
snow report
@Richard_Sideways, Laughing
snow report
@Peter Stevens,
Do you have personal travel insurance as well?
Ours in the UK (Nationwide account bundle) paid out without any issues.
ski holidays
Peter Stevens wrote:
The small print doesn't say this when you buy the ski pass.

So it doesn't say this in the conditions/small print?

Peter Stevens wrote:
"This condition is necessary to activate the policy coverage and it is written in the brochure that is available at the ticket office : ".VALIDITY OF THE INSURANCE: The INSURANCE is valid exclusively in case of request and intervention by SLOPE AID services at the scene of the CLAIM."

Personally, I often purchase the local insurance as a back-up to my annual ski travel policy. It'll get me off the mountain with limited fuss; no need to prove funds or show policy details while screaming in pain. Any additional cover beyond that may be welcome but would be covered under my annual policy anyway. Relying on just the local cover is a bit silly IMO (for none residents).
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
adithorp wrote:

Personally, I often purchase the local insurance as a back-up to my annual ski travel policy. It'll get me off the mountain with limited fuss; no need to prove funds or show policy details while screaming in pain. Any additional cover beyond that may be welcome but would be covered under my annual policy anyway. Relying on just the local cover is a bit silly IMO (for none residents).

exactly that. Belts & bracers approach works best.
latest report
Insuring your insurance is the safe(est) thing to do ... unless you have to insure all of that in which case you should be OK.
ski holidays
LaForet wrote:
The Mafia skipass - an offer you can't refuse.

At least you get a free horse's head in your bed when you wake up in the morning!! Shocked

http://youtube.com/v/VC1_tdnZq1A
latest report
The OP has fecked off. This is entirely his form on snowheads. Make a dramatic and provocative fuss about something, refuse to accept advice and feck off maintaining he is hard done by. He's just a troll or, if he's for real, the unluckiest man in skiing.
ski holidays
@Dave of the Marmottes, seems to be the case rolling eyes
snow conditions
@Dave of the Marmottes, gawd. I'd forgotten it was him. 100% correct
snow conditions
When I broke my shoulder in La Touissiere about 10 yrs ago. I was sledged off the mountain by ski patrol and taken to the hospital in an ambulance along with a child who had concussion. There was (as far as I am aware) no charge for this and nobody asked to see any proof of insurance till we got to the hospital - we didn't have the ski pass/local insurance so we had to pay the hospital, pharmacy etc and then we claimed from our annual travel policy.
ski holidays
Yebut he hasn't told us about the forums he used to run and how they were all ruined but people like us or gone on about post counts yet.... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Three things you don’t choose on lowest price: doctors, whores and insurance
snow conditions
adithorp wrote:
Yebut he hasn't told us about the forums he used to run and how they were all ruined but people like us or gone on about post counts yet.... Toofy Grin

Nor how frequent posters often commit suicide when righteous mods smite them or some such bollux.......
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy