Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New boots, new skis - really struggling to ski like I can

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

So this summer I bought new skis - Line Sakana 174cms, & new boots Salamon pro shift 130. The boots were boot after going to a ski shop & have been professionally fitted with custom insoles.
I really struggled in a recent 10 day trip to Austria. I am 55, been skiing for over 40 years. I’m 5ft 9 & weigh 90 kgs. Hithertoo I would have said I was a strong skier in all conditions but I really struggled this trip. It really threw me. I have been carrying a lot of stress as my business went under at the end of the year & that certainly could have impacted. Initially I thought it was the skis, but even switching back to my trusty Line prophet 90’s I still didn’t ski how I would expect. I am wondering if the higher flex in my new boots was pushing me into the back seat & hence I didn’t feel in control as I am used to? I am going back to Austria this week & am contemplating switching back to my old boots. Any advice here would be greatly welcomed.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If this was scientific, you’d change one variable at a time. If you can, definitely try the different ski/boot combinations.

It might have been worth a couple of hours in a fridge to carry out the test before doing it in Austria.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dufski13 wrote:
I am wondering if the higher flex in my new boots was pushing me into the back seat & hence I didn’t feel in control as I am used to?

When this has happened to me it’s been due to the delta ramp angle of the bindings (often the case with tech bindings). It could also be the forward lean angle of your new boots. This can sometimes be adjusted. Flex can also usually be adjusted by removing screws.

As recommended above, if you can test each component individually against your old setup that will be the easiest way to identify the culprit.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well I think that is what I’ll do. Put together a mix & match of my old set up & new set up & work out what the problem is - fingers crossed I work my way through it that way !
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Skis or boots can make a huge difference. I’m currently hiring skis at different resorts during a multi week ski trip. Ended up with what has turned out to be very stiff, fairly heavy advanced piste skis in my current location and discovered yesterday they were absolutely terrible in moguls or bumpy snow. My skis at home are all mountains skis so I’m used to lighter, more flexible skis. Have changed to a lighter ski now so fingers crossed they’re more suitable.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Turns out it’s the boots. Switched back to my old boots & now absolutely love the Line Sakana’s. What skis, so playful. They just live to carve. Just goes to show. I bought the new boots at a really good ski shop & they should be perfect for he, but I guess I’m used to a substantially lower flex & after 20 years in those boots that’s how I like it, regardless of what the stats say!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Dufski13, good to hear you've figured it out. What flex are the old boots?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
NBH wrote:
@Dufski13, good to hear you've figured it out. What flex are the old boots?

Guess it will be hard to tell what flex they are today, if they are 20 years old Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
No idea what flex the old boots are! But definitely softer
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
How cold was it when you were trying the new boots?

I had some Tecnica boots once that changed characteristics completely around -10C, where they became to all intents and purposes solid with no flex, but they also had the opposite problem when warm. For example after sitting inside at lunchtime, the boots became so soft I would have to wait for them to cool down before I could ski properly.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Dufski13, glad you managed to pinpoint the problem.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Are you sure the new boots are not too big. Your description is very similar to my experience when I followed boot fitters advise and bought too big boots. In too large boot your foot will slide to wrong position in the boot and then your leg will be too upright and everything will be wrong. The big boots were also supposed to be perfect for me according to the laser measure thingy in the store. How totally wrong that was.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
atomicsl11 wrote:
The big boots were also supposed to be perfect for me according to the laser measure thingy in the store. How totally wrong that was.
you learnt that computers and a corrupt data base are not the way to have a boot fitted, unfortunately many people want their boots fitted by computer these days

@Dufski13 if the flex of the new boot really is too stiff then there are ways to make (most) boots softer, it depends a little on the model
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Good to hear the old boots are doing the trick for you.

You could try to re engineer the new boots I guess, with adjustments to lean angle (?), flex(?), new/ different customised liners &/or foot soles to try to match the old boots closer.

Or, you could just compare everything about the new boots versus the old, and try to decide what are the main differences that you wish to maintain from the old boots, and then maybe go back to the shop that fitted you looking for a 'trade in' deal, or sell them 2nd hand yourself, and buy a different, new pair matching your new ideal specification.

I'd be inclined to do option 2 myself, and put it all down as a learning experience, & some boot education.

Good luck!!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Had exactly the same prob a few seasons ago when slipping into some new XPro 130's (from my previous, lighter flex battered XPros) - Currently for sale in the classifieds!

Thought the stiffer flex (but in exactly the same boot design) would accommodate my slight weight increase and assist a return to a slightly more aggressive style but it transpires I was totally wrong. Even experimented swopping the liners between each boot type to see if I could reach a better 'compromise' but its seems I too prefer to ski on a softer flex . . .lesson learnt!
ski holidays
Well I am getting my new boots adjusted next week to see if I can soften them a bit
ski holidays
Well I am getting my new boots adjusted next week to see if I can soften them a bit
ski holidays
@Dufski13, I’m interested to know whether you managed to cure the problem and, if so, how?
ski holidays
Too much of a change all at once? The Sakana is a quirky ski at the best of times, very much a marmite product. The mutli-radius sidecut is a different "feel" add in a swallow tail and at least 100 underfoot and it needs some time to get used to them.
Plus new boots...think it probably a combination of things all happening together.
Did you think about a private lesson? Take the stress of out your skiing day, let a pro asses how your skiing the new set up, get a couple of bad habits out if the system??
snow conditions
When I described my skiing (on piste carving, offpiste, moguls, steep) to the boot fitter, he directed me towards the Xpro 100s, a softer boot that would accommodate the high range of flex.
I'm quite an aggressive skier for my age (5Cool & Definitely don't ski as well if I tighten the leg buckles too much.
latest report
@tangowaggon, that's interesting to hear - I am starting to look a new boots, having skied in X-Wave 10s for the last 15 years. I have been looking at S-Pros, but assumed I would want something like the 120s. Perhaps given my age and skiing (similar to you) and the issues the OP has experienced, a softer flex might work?
latest report
@rainman, the reality is that there are so many individual styles, abilities & preferences for skiing that it is more of a quest to be able to understand your own style & use everyone's comments to gain that understanding as to what boot & ski combination will suit your own style. I followed my older brother's preference for high speed stability GS type skis for years, but I found that I actually prefer a quick turning, highly manoeuvrable ski.
snow report
@Dufski13, wonder if you know any friendly instructors or get someone to video you in old and new boots and post both up on here, could well be a technique thing that the old soft boots are masking......Could be 100% wrong but it'd be interesting to explore it as a theory!
ski holidays
My first thoughts on reading the OPs post was the boots are too stiff... 130s are super stiff, so I agree with the comments on boots. I recently got some new boots, I've always assumed Flex is for ability.... the fitter told me m/f and weight/size has more of a bearing, so at 5.9 your not that big.
snow report
5 9 has absolutely no bearing on it but the 90kgs does
ski holidays
@Whitegoldsbrother,
Actually I think it does. Surely it’s about levers?

If you’re 2m tall and weigh 90kg it’s going to be different to being 1.74m and weighing 90kg?
snow conditions
zzz wrote:
@Whitegoldsbrother,
Actually I think it does. Surely it’s about levers?

If you’re 2m tall and weigh 90kg it’s going to be different to being 1.74m and weighing 90kg?

it has a lot less to do with it than the weight does, all depedns about body proportions as well, some people have a long tibias, some short

a modern 130 is more like a 120 of 10 years ago
snow conditions
I kind of doubt a new boot "as such" would put the OP that far off. In my experience, otoh, ramp, delta and lean are strong enough potential enemies to do that alone or in a group. Especially when a GW or AT boot is weird while an alpine sole boot is fine.

As long as my angles are within a corridor, I can get on with pretty different boots for a similar enough experience.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I’m going out again for 2 weeks in mid-january & then again at the end of Feb. I’ve made some minor adjustments to the boots, & am going out with a plan of attack. I was very stressed out last year, my business had just gone bust, & my confidence was very low. I think it threw me but I didn’t have the confidence to double down & apply the technique I have. Plus when I went back out last year for my second trip I really got to grip with the Sakanas. If I am still struggling I will get a private lesson for the morning to see if that helps.
snow report
I’m going out again for 2 weeks in mid-january & then again at the end of Feb. I’ve made some minor adjustments to the boots, & am going out with a plan of attack. I was very stressed out last year, my business had just gone bust, & my confidence was very low. I think it threw me but I didn’t have the confidence to double down & apply the technique I have. Plus when I went back out last year for my second trip I really got to grip with the Sakanas. If I am still struggling I will get a private lesson for the morning to see if that helps.
ski holidays
At the start of last season, I upgraded my old Atomic boots (120 flex Redsters) for some CS130's as the former were packed out and getting on a bit. The difference was extraordinary and pretty terrifying! Yes, they're a bit stiffer but the new snug fit meant that every move I made was converted into POWER and the skis (Head i.speeds) carved everything..... And I mean everything, all the time, everywhere! I couldn't even do a hockey stop - it resulted in my carving into the lift queue Shocked

After a couple of days, they packed down a little and I got more used to them and things gradually calmed down but it was a wild ride! On my next trip I'll tighten them up beyond my usual settings and see if I can recreate it.....

In short, new boots can have a profound and shocking effect!
ski holidays
@Klamm Franzer, sounds like a little bit of time one on one with a good instructor would also have a profound effect!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy