Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kaprun - eating out for families

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello fellow snowheads! I'm off to Kaprun for Feb half term and looking for some advice on eating out with the family.

Having done a little googling I'm worried there really isn't that many places for dinner (we are self catering), especially offering food suitable for fairly young (11 and 9) fairly fussy kids (think burgers, chicken nuggets, pizza etc!)

I'm hoping they pick up a taste for local food but failing that does anyone have any insight into where's good, and how easy is it to get a table etc? I'd rather play it by ear on a given day depending on how wiped out the kids are (and us adults..) on where we go but if we need to book in advance I'll get on it before it's too late!

Thanks in advance Eh oh!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi HovisHawk, I would highly recommend the Dorfkrug, web: https://dorfkrug-kaprun.at/en

We were taken aback at how cheap it was considering the traditional and modern offerings, and how it looks in comparison to the many other eateries in Kaprun, but you do have to book. For a family of 4 (two adults, 17 and 15 year old) with healthy appetites, it averaged 100 euros, but that was back in Feb 2018. We ate there 3 times during the week's stay.

The Kennidi and Kitsch & bitter were also good value. In fact, we enjoyed all of the food, notwithstanding, we were happy to indulge in the odd pizza/schnitzel as well.

Have a great holiday!!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I’d recommend Chillas, Schneiderei, Zucchini, Kennedi, Baum Bar, Kitsch & Bitter and Pavillon. In February it’s probably worth booking a table at these restaurants, apart from the Pavillon, which I don’t think accepts reservations, but I may be wrong on this. Children are well catered for, menu wise, at most restaurants in Kaprun.
The Dorfkrug is good value, offers local cuisine and caters well for children. The service can however be variable and the restaurant usually operates a two sittings system in the evening.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
At lunch time you've got to take the kids to the Ranch up near the top of the Maiskogel.
Maiskogel Alm Ranch, it is a great viewpoint over the valley and there are pigs and donkeys and goats etc.
Make sure its a sunny day.
Right in the middle of town there is a kiosk that has grown over the years.
I first found it when is was only 5 metres diameter, but like a Tardis inside.
Check it out
Pavillon Après-Ski Bar
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you so much! That's super helpful, I will check those out.

I'm quite nervous about taking the family to Austria having only been to Alpe D'Huez with them, seems like a very different setup. Fingers crossed they all love it!

One more question come to think of it - when eating out is everyone typically changed out their ski clobber and dressed for dinner? I'm assuming so but if there are places frequented by people straight off the slopes then that's good to know, sometimes the last thing I want after a day skiing is to get showered and changed and then have to go out again! Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
HovisHawk wrote:
Thank you so much! That's super helpful, I will check those out.

I'm quite nervous about taking the family to Austria having only been to Alpe D'Huez with them, seems like a very different setup. Fingers crossed they all love it!

One more question come to think of it - when eating out is everyone typically changed out their ski clobber and dressed for dinner? I'm assuming so but if there are places frequented by people straight off the slopes then that's good to know, sometimes the last thing I want after a day skiing is to get showered and changed and then have to go out again! Very Happy

None of the restaurants that I listed would bat an eyelid if you turned up in your ski gear. You’ll find however that the later you eat, the more people would have changed into civies. If dining in a hotel restaurant it would be more normal to dress for dinner.

And, there’s absolutely nothing to feel nervous about. Also, English is very much the universal language in Austrian ski resorts.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy