Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Elan Ripstick Tour 104 real world experience? Or alternatives?

Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone skied the Ripstick Tour in 104mm yet? I've read a bunch of reviews and they seem to be just the ticket for what I'm after but would value some real world experience.

Some background:

For the last few years I've been skiing Black Crows Captis for 90% of my skiing - 90mm underfoot, all mountain, twintip etc. They are OK for most things but don't really excel at anything - bit too wide for a dedicated piste ski, bit narrow for powder, bit heavy for touring. And I don't ski backwards Very Happy

I've also got a pair of Noctas (122mm underfoot) for when it gets deep. Even ignoring the Covid years, the Noctas have only been used a handful of times - they are bloody brilliant in the powder but nothing else and i'm not sure I can justify having an £800 (that's what this year's version costs - without bindings!!) ski sat around for one or two days a season. We now have a 5 year old so trips are more planned, less powder chasing, more pistes etc. I can't see me heading off to Japow anytime soon but the odd long weekend touring or day tour here and there is definitely still on the cards.

So my current thinking is get some piste skis with alpine bindings as a daily driver and pair them with one of the many skis in the 105-110mm range that have dropped a few grams and been badged up as "freetour" skis for both touring and also resort powder days. However, many of these skis seem to be marketed as hard chargers. Stuff like the Atomic Backland 107, Black Crows Ferox etc. I can definitely get around the hill ok and am used to the very mixed conditions touring can bring but I'm nearer to 50 than I'd like and I'm not looking at skiing any Freeride World Tour lines, going flat out everywhere or straight-lining chopped up sidecountry. The Elan seems to be pitched at the more user friendly end of things.

Any thoughts or alternative recommendations would be very welcome.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No one skied the Ripstick Tour in 104mm? Sold out lots of places so someone must be riding them - just Snowheads! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've got ripstick 106 188cm with shift bindings & I'm high side of 50, not quite the 104 tour but similar. I use them as my one ski quiver, replaced volkl gotama. I think they are an awesome, versatile, fun & easy ski. Handle all conditions with ease, from on-piste hard pack to slush and powder. Don't need to charge on them, can knock out short terms or they go sideways very nicely. I was concerned with some reviews saying they are a bit flappy when charging in crud and cut up but I've not really noticed an issue. I've done a few short tours under 2 hours, fine for that but I've not much to compare against in terms of touring. You can probably pic k up the 106 for much less than the 104 tour - depends how much touring you want to do I guess. I got mine from https://www.snowcountry.eu/catalogsearch/result/?q=ripstick
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@waynos, thanks for that - appreciate your comments. The 104 tour and 106 regular are about the same price (some decent discounts around) and I guess it is just down to your final comment - how much touring vs resort!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Dashed, Ripstick 106 review from 2022 Ski Rando Magazine annual group test, with google translation

"If you plan to ski quietly on small slopes sheltered by a forest, go your way. The Ripstick is made to send with excellent stability and a good bulldozing effect that erases the ground. This ski clearly prefers wide open spaces and speed. At low speed, it is rather clumsy and quite physical to handle. When accelerating, although you still have to be in good shape, you find the potential with better maneuverability and the feeling that the speed limit does not come from skiing. In short, a much more station-oriented behavior than hiking, especially since its weight is in the same spirit. 3.58kg in 180cm, it will also be necessary to be in good shape for the climb."

One or two chums who have used might concur.

I know it is not often possible, but with either Elan I would want to demo first. A bit marmite perhaps?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@HammondR, Ahhh bullocks! Really not looking for a big wide open spaces ski that “erases” the ground. Possibly back to square one then, although that review does seem to contradict lots of other stuff I’ve read, such as Blisterski. Doubt a demo is going to be possible sadly.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Dashed, the review may be rhubarb and my pals whimps. However in the past I have found their recommended skis spot on. Many moons ago, based on their review, I bought the Salomon MTN 95 and have never regretted for a second.

I remember being 50. A long time ago.

In the same size ski you are currently considering, last season I replaced my venerable Praxis Backcountry 106 with the new Black Diamond Helio Carbon 104 in 184cm length. Absolutely love them. Bought for soft snow but skied a lot of steep ground on hard snow in the last few weeks and can't fault them in any way.

Happy to post a franglais review if you are interested. Also a lot of love for the Majesty skis. They have no time for the Ferrox, like my old Chamonix landlord...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@HammondR, thanks really helpful. If you can point me in the direction of the review for the black diamonds then I can do some Google translate
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've just had a couple of weeks on Nordica enforcer 110 free at the bbwuw and bb.
99% of offpiste was rock hard & unenjoyable, but a small area of softer snow was found. Pistes were typical dolomites, groomed to death first thing & slightly bumpy in areas in late afternoon.
https://images.app.goo.gl/NWdBJjjpWu9v8ZMj8 this isn't me, but I was getting close to this carve angle, even on quite hard groomers, I found it almost impossible to break the edge grip in a carve. I had my Head iRally piste skis with me & ended up leaving them in the locker, they have a slightly tighter turn radius but weren't holding the edge grip as well as the 110s. I even won a parallel slalom race against a very good skier on slalom skis. It took a bit of getting used to the width but I was soon up to my usual tricks of carving turns just on the inside ski & carving with fast transitions from edge to edge.
As said, the offpiste was very limited but the 110s seemed to nip in & out of the trees & bumps with good control.
I wanted an offpiste ski that would give more float in the heavier offpiste than my old 95s but a very quick turning ski with a short turn radius that would still be fun for on piste carving. Not at all bothered about high speed stability, I wanted a ski that would turn instantly, I prefer technical, varied terrain to just straightlining an open area.
Me, 57, 90kg, 185cm skied for 30+ years
Ski Nordica enforcer 110 free 2130g/pair, 177cm length, 110 waist.
I went for a shorter ski with a shorter turn radius that I could boss around more, my 95s are 181cm & and occasionally, the length got in the way of some places that I was accessing.
I won't be bothering to take my piste skis on my next trip.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@tangowaggon, hmmm, definitely one to think about. Thanks! Just need to have a look at weight and see how practical they’d be for touring.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I stumbled across this website when doing my annual "do I try and goto a one ski quiver" debate with myself

https://www.schneehoehen.at/skitest/tourenski/tourenski-herren-bis-97mm
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.

snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Assuming that’s weight per ski then I’d not fancy dragging them any distance uphill tbh!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What about the Bent 100’s. 1700g about the sweet spot for compromise between downhill Perf and touring. Bents pretty playful with good rocker so should be fun to ski. Good value too!

https://www.sport-conrad.com/en/products/atomic/bent-100.html

Or Blizzard Hustle 10 at 102mm 17.5m radius 1800g for 180cm. Blizzard make great skis
https://www.sport-conrad.com/en/products/blizzard/hustle-10.html

Or even 11 if you want to go as wide as 112mm
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dashed wrote:
Assuming that’s weight per ski then I’d not fancy dragging them any distance uphill tbh!

Per pair, the 104s are sub 2kg tbf, I have no intention of going uphill with skis on my feet, I weighed my 110s at 5.5kg with attack 14 bindings
snow report
tangowaggon wrote:

Per pair, the 104s are sub 2kg tbf, I have no intention of going uphill with skis on my feet, I weighed my 110s at 5.5kg with attack 14 bindings

That’s weight per ski not pair. They’d be super light flappy and useless at c.1kg each and 110mm wide!
snow report
@BobinCH, cheers for the suggestions. I think I’d ruled out the Blizzards for some reason but can’t recall why now. Will definitely check out both options.
snow report
@HammondR, any chance you could post the review of the Ripstick 104 tour from SkiRando Magazine - I can see they reviewed them but can't get to the text.

Black Diamond and Blizzard Rustlers currently looking good!
ski holidays
Have a look at Nordica Enforcer 104 Ultimate. I have bought these to replace worn out Backland 107. Same sort of weight, much lighter than the Enforcer Free so they are light uphill, but lots more tail rocker so quicker turning and much more maneouvrable in bushwhacking, stream bed type skiing (which we always seem to do a lot of at the end of big descents). the Backlands 107s are not so great at short, slowish , turns in and out of bushes etc. they definitely prefer open lines!
latest report
@inspark, cheers, will definitely take a look
ski holidays
@Dashed, Black Diamond Helio Carbon 104:

"A ski much appreciated by testers, from good skiers to beginners! Indeed, the Helio 104 is super accessible and easy to ski. An interesting behavior for hiking use where the form is not necessarily there on the descent after a trying climb. This ski advances on its own whether in powder or difficult snow with excellent maneuverability and maximum flotation. For the biggest skiers, it is surprisingly stable at high speed and has the luxury of smoothing out the terrain when the bumps pass by. The limits are found on hard or very hard snow where the “accessible” shape makes the ski less grippy. In the end, a very good behavior for the weight. At 2.9kg per pair for 104mm underfoot, only the overhang on hard snow can slow you down on the climb."

Blizzard ZeroG 105

"A very different ski from the old Zero G 108. The Zero G 105 is much more accessible and easy to handle while remaining a very serious ski. It does not require a lumberjack's physique to have fun and from the first turns the ski puts you at ease with healthy behavior. Whether at low speed or at Mach 12, the pleasure is there with a lot of stability and good planing in the deep. You don't feel like you have a 3kg ski underfoot, it works so well in all areas except in hard or rutted snow where lightness can have its limits. In short, a great tool for hiking whatever the elevation gain! Note also a good behavior on the climb even when the snow is a little hard thanks to fairly straight sidecuts."

And finally the Majesty Supernova Carbon;

"Something quite rare, the behavior of the light version of the Supernova is as good or even better than the "heavy" version! The Supernova Carbon was slightly modified last season with just a little more rigidity but the behavior is very similar. With its ultra-progressive spatula, the Supernova gets out of any snow without forcing it with disconcerting maneuverability and ease. Even when the snow is crusty or rotten, the ski passes like the snow is good. Not to spoil anything, the stability is good even at high speed. It's only on hard snow that the grip doesn't work miracles, but at 103mm on the skate, that's not the program! And when you look at the weight – only 3kg in 177cm – you quickly understand that Majesty has done well."

All very good light "polyvalent" skis. Whichever takes your fancy and is available in just the right size and price at your favourite ski emporium. Never been a better time to buy great skis.
snow conditions
@Dashed, only have last year's Ski Rando test, not this year's. So no Ripstick 104 Tour from me. I do recall a review somewhere pointing out that Elan were somewhat economical with the truth on the weight of those skis.

So take your scales down to the shop to check if they are for you. As a weak old man I don't want to lug 150 grams more uphill than I paid for!
snow report
What boots are you going to ski these with?IMO the 1400/1500g 100mm + skis are dedicated powder touring skis to be used with a 300g touring binding like the ATK Raider and a 1300-1500g boot like Zero G Tour Pro.

If the use will be majority lift served all conditions days in a Freeride boot I would want a burlier ski with more suspension / durability and something like a Shift binding with more elastic release and durability.

This will still be fine for reasonable tours while giving several advantages on Freeride days.
snow conditions
@HammondR, very grateful- thanks

@BobinCH, I’m in Dalbello Lupos for everything (c.1800g from memory). I’ve got a pair of 82mm more piste focussed skis with alpine bindings that will do me for most resort days and realistically will be what I ski 80% of the time. I don’t mind a touch heavier with my second ski / binding set up, but definitely looking for something more suited to softer conditions rather than all mountain charger. When I look back over the last few years, virtually all of my touring has been chasing decent snow. That often comes with mixed conditions lower down but I’d not head out touring if I knew it was boilerplate too to bottom for example.
latest report
I had the first generation Helio 105 carbon, v light, especially with marker alpinist binding, skied ok (not as good as the backland 107) but fragile - one broke in half!
latest report
Dashed wrote:
@HammondR, very grateful- thanks

@BobinCH, I’m in Dalbello Lupos for everything (c.1800g from memory). I’ve got a pair of 82mm more piste focussed skis with alpine bindings that will do me for most resort days and realistically will be what I ski 80% of the time. I don’t mind a touch heavier with my second ski / binding set up, but definitely looking for something more suited to softer conditions rather than all mountain charger. When I look back over the last few years, virtually all of my touring has been chasing decent snow. That often comes with mixed conditions lower down but I’d not head out touring if I knew it was boilerplate too to bottom for example.

Just comparing Blizzard, the Hustle will ski better than the Zero G. The Zero G will tour better. The Hustle will not be a « hard charger » at 1800g. I have the Rustler 11 in 180 and it is easy to ski - would be perfect for what you want but a tad heavy for touring hence the Hustle suggestion which loses a couple of hundred grams. The Zero G will suck in difficult conditions due to being a stiff carbon layup to save weight. You need to be a better skier to ski the Zero G well than the Hustle or Rustler 11. And a light ski is less durable - I avoid taking my light skis out if it’s rocky.

You can extrapolate this comparison across the other manufacturers.

For what you have stated and your boots I would look for a circa 1800g Freeride oriented ski not a 1500g touring ski.
snow conditions
So many options - thanks again for everyone's thoughts Happy
ski holidays
They might be a bit too gentle for you but I was looking for a replacement for a Rossignol Sky 7 and ended up going with DPS Foundation 112 RP. Only had about 6 days on them, but very easy to ski in the foot or so of fresh stuff we had in Tahoe in January, and pretty nice on groomed trails as well with a relatively small radius (15m @ 189cm). I'm 6'4", 105kg, 42, mostly skiing western US and not interested in 'hard charging' anything. Protect the knees!

I've had the opportunity to ski Blizzard Rustler 11s at 188cm the past couple of days (loaners as ski shop has somehow misplaced the DPS... Puzzled ) and am also enjoying them. Pretty similar, bigger radius and feel a little heavier or slower, so maybe slightly more stable. Yet to try them on groomed trails as the snow hasn't stopped for a bit.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
driz wrote:
and ended up going with DPS Foundation 112 RP. Only had about 6 days on them, but very easy to ski in the foot or so of fresh stuff we had in Tahoe in January, and pretty nice on groomed trails as well with a relatively small radius (15m @ 189cm). I'm 6'4", 105kg, 42, mostly skiing western US and not interested in 'hard charging' anything. Protect the knees!

I've had the opportunity to ski Blizzard Rustler 11s at 188cm the past couple of days (loaners as ski shop has somehow misplaced the DPS... Puzzled ) and am also enjoying them. Pretty similar, bigger radius and feel a little heavier or slower, so maybe slightly more stable. Yet to try them on groomed trails as the snow hasn't stopped for a bit.

Not many better skis than the Wailer 112 for making soft snow skiing easier and more fun. And as you say that 15m radius is surprisingly good on piste. You would have to accept the additional weight for touring. I concur with your experience on the Rustler - a more traditional shape with more stability, crud busting ability and a higher speed limit.
ski holidays
DPS weren’t really on my radar - just got all excited at some of their skis. Then saw the prices. I recall why I hadn’t considered them before Eh oh! Eh oh!
ski holidays
The Foundation isn’t expensive. It’s on sale for about 600 euros if you can find your size. The Alchemist is very pricey at rrp but also available for under 1000chf with bindings now as they are renaming it next season.
snow conditions
I've got the Wailer Foundation 112 with Marker Alpinist bindings, by no means heavy, especially for the width! It's my go-to ski for powder touring and resort laps and so easy in the trees!!!
snow report
Ah ok, I was looking at the Pagoda and Pagoda Tour as replacements for the Wailer (haven’t got my head around DPS range yet) but maybe Foundation is more like the Wailer.
ski holidays
It’s quite complicated!

I think “Wailer” is the original 112 RP “banana” shape. Comes in 3 constructions: Foundation (used to be Hybrid), Pagoda (used to be Alchemist and before that Pure) and Pagoda Tour (used to be Tour 1).

Check out an early SnowHeads review here:https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=75330

Foundation is cheaper, heavier and more damped (no carbon and I guess made with cheaper materials?). These 112 RP Wailer Hybrid’s were my first DPS skis and I loved them. @Rungsp on here bought them off me a few years later and is still riding them (into the sunset…)

Then 124 Lotus (in Alchemist construction) - all time fave freeride skis. Great fun, totally dependable and surprisingly polyvalent for a big ski. Still going 6 years and probably 150 days skiing later. snowHead

Blister also raved about them
https://blisterreview.com/gear-reviews/2017-2018-dps-lotus-alchemist-124-spoon

Then 2nd hand Spoons (Pure construction). The most amazing pow skis ever but only get a handful of days a season and none so far this year Crying or Very sad

Then 115RPC’s - stiffer, especially the tails. My least favourite DPS skis as they throw me around too much.

For the Powderworks Lotus 115 RPC, DPS has taken the classic 112 Wailer shape and made some adjustments for the ripping skier looking to go fast and furious on all types of piste. The popular RP shape was tweaked to create the RPC: Resort Powder Charger. The RPC shape is designed to ski more in the fall line, with a more shallow turn shape, and with a longer effective edge length. The ski is widened at the waist by 3mm without increasing the tip and tail width. In addition, the tip and tail rocker have been slightly lowered to increase the top speed. By making the ski more flat, the ski essentially planes easier and deflects less. All of these design features and characteristics add up to give you better stability at higher speeds - hence the Charger edition to the acronym.

The RPC construction also features an experimental core based on the new Pagoda Piste construction. Essentially, the Powderworks Lotus 115 RPC is the testbed for the next generation of Alchemist construction! Less than 100 pairs of this ski are pressed every year, which truly exemplifies the limited edition aspect of a unique ski built by-and-for skiers. Get your hands on a pair to see a glimpse of the hard-charging DPS future.

TBC
snow conditions
Ah, the mists are clearing…! Now Pagoda Tours could be an amazing ski if it wasn’t for the cost…
ski holidays
In Pagoda Tour you have the 112, 100 and 90.

There is also the C2 version in 94 and 106

I’ve got the 112’s and they are superb powder touring skis weighing circa 1600g in the 184. But I really only use them for touring in good conditions and wouldn’t use them for freeride days.

I’ve got friends with the 90, 100’s and C2 variants. The non C2 variants are much better in powder.

The 100’s are available discounted in the 179 length
https://www.snowleader.ch/fr/pack-pagoda-tour-100-rp-deep-red-BUND06741.html

This year I got the Lotus 117 (Pagoda construction)
https://www.sport-conrad.com/en/products/dps/pagoda-lotus-117.html

They are a slightly more polyvalent replacement for the nearing end of life Lotus 124’s. Slightly more forward mount that took a bit of getting used to but they have been my go to pow skis this season and stood up well to a lot of punishment early season. They are pretty light at 1920g in 184 for a freeride ski.

Hope it helps…
ski holidays
It all helps Eh oh!
snow report
Here's a video
http://youtube.com/v/60CB_PQ4iN8 that popped up on my feed on some chaps first go on his new ripstick 104 tours. It's really not selling the ski well but that's more to do with his decision to bother touring on the day, dreadful conditions, solo too. It's comedy in that it's such a bad review of a product. Only need to watch the start and end. His video description is somewhat depressing too.

Can anyone find a worse ski review video?

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 7-03-23 14:10; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
waynos wrote:

Find a worse one? I can't even find that one Very Happy Is there a link missing from your post?
ski holidays
Dashed wrote:
waynos wrote:

Find a worse one? I can't even find that one Very Happy Is there a link missing from your post?

You made a very good point, corrected original post. doh!

http://youtube.com/v/60CB_PQ4iN8
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy