Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cold Boot by Design - Salomon S/Max 110

Poster: A snowHead
Salomon S/Max 110 Boots - Are people finding these boots colder than normal..... ?

I trusted a boot fitter to pick a boot...... But found them very cold right off.....Now I figured it was just the new tight liner cutting off circulation..... These were very tight when new.... Put on in my living room and my feet went numb after 20 minutes....

Well a month later and boots are now molded to my feet nicely.... But these boots are only good to ski in at about 32 F, below that my feet freeze.

I have Merino ski socks from the boot fitter..... Have tried unbuckling boots on the lift - does not help at all.

These boots seem smaller on the outside than other boots..... Are they thinner by design to save weight and COLDER as a result....

Bootfitter - is saying that it must be that my feet must have poor circulation - but I am suspicious that these are just cold boots...

HELP - Is it me or the Boots.... ?

I am an intermediate skier, but 57 so not too aggressive - If it is me and not the Boots - who makes warm boots for a 110 flex ?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've never heard of boot shells being colder than others. Usually liners make the difference. But sounds like circulation is your issue. There are relatively easy fixes - heated footbeds, external neoprene covers ( boot gloves) and aftermarket liners . IME Zipfit> Intuition> stock.

If you're feet are too cold at 0C/32F then it's probably a you problem not a boot problem provided the boot is well fitted.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi: Thanks - I will buy some Boot Gloves...... see how that helps first....

Will try my old boots and see how they compare for warmth.... in case my memory is not telling me the truth Smile

Is there a big difference in boots warmth ? Can you buy warmer model boots... ?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There are going to be some variations but I can't imagine immense. More likely it's your feet in a different position.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Agree, the plastic has very little role in insulation in any decent boot in which the shell will be thin. The most important things are the liner and how well you foot is perfused. It may be the case that blood flow to the foot is still reduced even if you no longer have paresthesia. It will likely improve in time.

Also worth asking if you have cold feet in day to day life. If you ask a 3rd party to grasp your bare feet, is one foot colder that the other or are they both significantly colder than usual? Also worth asking if you suffer from cold hands? If any of these is true or you have recently begun to suffer from such symptoms it is worth discussing this with your GP.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 6-02-23 10:59; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
LoveSnow429 wrote:

I am an intermediate skier, but 57 so not too aggressive

Does not compute.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@LoveSnow429, certainly not a colder boot than any other, sounds like either therer is a slight pinch point which is restricting circulation or you have poor circulation in the first place.... if boot gloves don't help in any way i would say it is a pinch point (either behind the ankles or over the instep are the common ones)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@LoveSnow429, heatmoldable liners offer less insulation than traditional Cordura ones. Could that be the reason?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@LoveSnow429, ….I think CEM is right…I have a difficult relationship with Salomon boots. The old X Wave had a brilliant last (for me) but someone in Annecy obviously thought that the instep height was too great in Salomon boots and tightened it right down over the bridge of each foot - exactly where runs the main blood supply for the foot. Too tight over there and I get problems - you may be experiencing the same thing. Regretably very difficult to expand this part of the lower boot - grind the tongue a little?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have the s-max 120. Can't say I find it colder than any other boot.

As for making adjustments to the instep height, surely easier to grind the boot board or footbed than the instep.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Heated ski socks may be an option that helps ....
https://www.alpinsider.com/gear/best-heated-ski-socks
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Roguevfr wrote:
I have the s-max 120. Can't say I find it colder than any other boot.

As for making adjustments to the instep height, surely easier to grind the boot board or footbed than the instep.

it really isn't a difficult area to adjust with the correct tools and skills
if you lower the base board you shift the whole foot down in the boot and can create a load of other issues than solving the one area where the problem is, if the compression is just at one point i really don't want to make the rest of the boot looser as that then encourages the user to tighten the buckles and cut the blood supply off again.

the other thing could just be compression from the liner, the salomon liners (and this is changing imminently) have a canvas type material that is between the outer skin and the insulation layer, this canvas doesn't stretch so can cause the liner to compress the foot side to side, if this is happening it will can push the foot up into the top of the shell, release the surface tension and all of a sudden numerous issues disappear
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
I've never heard of boot shells being colder than others.

The physicist enters the room and introduces Stefan–Boltzmann law Toofy Grin

TL;DR the colour or more specifically the emissivity of your boot will make a noticeable difference. White and silver are good and black is bad if you want warm feet.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

White and silver are good and black is bad if you want warm feet.

Are you talking about heat from the feet escaping from the boot? (which is what emissivity means to me, but I only have O level physics). What difference does the colour of the outside of the boot make to that? As for sunshine coming in, a black car is hotter than a white car, isn't it?

I suspect that as we get older our ability to keep our extremities warm often declines. It could be old age, rather than physics. Entropy, perhaps?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jabuzzard wrote:
I've never heard of boot shells being colder than others.

The physicist enters the room and introduces Stefan–Boltzmann law Toofy Grin

TL;DR the colour or more specifically the emissivity of your boot will make a noticeable difference. White and silver are good and black is bad if you want warm feet.

I'd be interested if you could demonstrate this in an experiment with feet in identical liners and otherwise identical shells bar the colour.
snow conditions
Black stoves ? Usually metal and decent conductor.

Unsure how much the colour difference will be on an insulator like plastic though.

Maybe I'm on the wrong track Very Happy
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

White and silver are good and black is bad if you want warm feet.

Are you talking about heat from the feet escaping from the boot? (which is what emissivity means to me, but I only have O level physics). What difference does the colour of the outside of the boot make to that? As for sunshine coming in, a black car is hotter than a white car, isn't it?

I suspect that as we get older our ability to keep our extremities warm often declines. It could be old age, rather than physics. Entropy, perhaps?

Emissivity is the measure of how efficiently a surface radiates heat. It is a number between zero and one. A perfect black body (the ideal radiator of heat in physics) would have an emissivity of one. As in all things, physics nothing perfect exists, especially when it comes to thermodynamics. In the real world, a typical black object would be around 0.95 and a white object around 0.84. Consequently, a white object will lose about 11-12% less heat than a black one all other things being equal according to Stefan–Boltzmann law.

The takeaway is if you have cold feet, then white boots would be noticeably warmer than black ones. Reflective surfaces are better still, but I have yet to see a pair of silver ski boots.
snow report
Isn't that with the assumption that the foot has 100% transfer of heat to that final outer colour ?

Which in the boot it doesn't, but travels through sock, liner, shell substrate etc to arrive at that surface to cool air interface.
ski holidays
Quote:

white boots would be noticeably warmer than black ones

but of you're sitting in the sun maybe the black ones would be fine. wink
latest report

I'd be interested if you could demonstrate this in an experiment with feet in identical liners and otherwise identical shells bar the colour.

Black body radiation, the Stefan-Boltzmann law and measuring the emissivity of objects is (or at least when I did mine) a standard A level physics practical. I understand everyone hasn't done a degree in Physics, but this is just one of those things if you haven't you just need to accept. To a physicist, this is as self-evident as water being wet and the idea of needing to do an experiment to demonstrate it, is as ridiculous as Russian claims they were forced to invade Ukraine.
latest report
ski3 wrote:
Isn't that with the assumption that the foot has 100% transfer of heat to that final outer colour ?

Which in the boot it doesn't, but travels through sock, liner, shell substrate etc to arrive at that surface to cool air interface.

Nope, the only assumption is the colour of the plastic in the outer shell varies. Basically, heat is moving from the foot to the surroundings. One of those mechanisms is radiation from the surface of the boot. Changing the colour of the boot will change the amount of heat radiated. If more heat is lost from the boot then more heat will be lost from the foot and it will get colder.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

white boots would be noticeably warmer than black ones

but of you're sitting in the sun maybe the black ones would be fine. wink

Very Happy

What if you're out in the dark, apres ski return perhaps, would that change the emmisivity of bkack boots ? Just asking for a friend Laughing
ski holidays
We all know, that what makes a ski boot really Cool, is its colour....and that restricted blood flow has nothing to do with it. Skullie
snow report
jabuzzard wrote:
ski3 wrote:

Nope, the only assumption is the colour of the plastic in the outer shell varies. Basically, heat is moving from the foot to the surroundings. One of those mechanisms is radiation from the surface of the boot. Changing the colour of the boot will change the amount of heat radiated. If more heat is lost from the boot then more heat will be lost from the foot and it will get colder.

As you say, one of the mechanisms is radiation from the surface of the boot, but it's certainly not the only one. The difference between black and white boots won't be the 11% you mentioned and I doubt it would even be perceptible.
snow report
Quote:

As you say, one of the mechanisms is radiation from the surface of the boot, but it's certainly not the only one. The difference between black and white boots won't be the 11% you mentioned and I doubt it would even be perceptible.

This ^

At the temperatures involved here the vast majority of the heat will be lost by convection and conduction. The other thing to remember is that the heat loss by radiation is dependent upon the temperature difference between the boot and the surroundings (ie it's radiating heat out and receiving radiation in from the surroundings). Again the temperature difference between the external surface of the boot and it's surroundings is going to be very little so the heat loss by radiation will be minimal / negligible.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy