Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resorts near Santiago, Chile

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Got a mate who works in Santiago, Chile. I was thinking about a visit out there, get some skiing in and maybe try and include Machu Pichu (which I realise is in Peru) etc. etc. Had a look at an atlas. Have you seen the height of the mountains near Santiago ? Well over 6,000m.

Has anyone skied the resorts near Santiago, thoughts, any recommendation etc. ?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
check out dragon lodge, i think its www.dragonlodge.co.uk they do stuff in chili and argentina

or do a search on google.

i really really wanna do this and maybe next year i will, i found lots of hits when i googled it.

good luck and i want a trip report if you go
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nickski, a quick look in my Lonely Planet says there are 3 major resorts barely an hour from Santiago and a 4th about 2 hours away on the Argentine border. Copied directly from LP (2002 edition).....

"Family orientated, but fastest to get to, is El Colorado, 45km east of the capital, with 16 lifts and 25 runs ranging from 2430m to 3330m, some connecting to Valle Nevado. Centro de Ski El Colorado has latest info on snow and slope conditions.

Only 4 km from the Farellones ski resort La Parva has 13 runs ranging from 2662m to 3630m.

Another 14km beyond Farellones, very popular and well planned Valle Nevado has 29 runs ranging from 2805m to 3670m with nine up to 1.7km in length...................

In a class of its own, Portillo, 145km NorthEast of the capital on the Argentine border, has a doxen lifts and 23 runs ranging from 2590m to 3330m"
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Try these.....

http://www.ifyouski.co.uk/resorts/view/?ObjectID=187004&Template=More

http://www.ifyouski.co.uk/resorts/view/?ObjectID=190004&Template=More

http://www.ifyouski.co.uk/resorts/view/?ObjectID=594004&Template=More
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The resorts near Santiago are effectively one big area, albeit with separate passes/lift companies. Its about an hour's bus ride/ drive to Farellones where there is the best choice of indie accomodation - hostels, ski club lodges that are happy to take visitors etc. Above Farellones is El Colorado, to skier's right La Parva. The road forks at Farellones so I used to hitch up to Valle Nevado each day (most like a French resort with motorway runs similar architecture) then at the end of the day take the backside lift up to the top of El Colorado (edge of Valle Nevado area) then basically ski home through El Corado & Farellones (which is pretty much just a bunny slope itself).

Valle Nevado has some good looking touring accessible chutes & yanks I met were talking of heli drops.

Portillo is on the pass to Mendoza, nearest town Los Andes. Spectacular setting but a bit Hi de Hi for me (most people stay in the one hotel on an all inclusive package with very few day trippers like me) & the snow wasn't the greatest when I was there but I wasn't overly impressed with the size.

I think an Austrian American has set up a cat skiing op somewher north of Los Andes - might be good to check out.

I wouldn't take a package trip unless you've got no confidence/speak absolutely no spanish - the Chileans will do almost anything to help you out if you get a bit stuck, really nice people & anyone who skis will speak perfect English.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I will echo fatbob, write up. I stayed down in Santiago and drove up everyday. the road up is one way ie. Traffic up in morning & then down in afternoon. There are plenty of chainup crews if the road is covererd.

Accomodation on the Hill (Valle Nevado)is very expensive & mostly all inclusive.

Re.Portillo . It has limited accomodation. Hotle Portilio is the main Hotel. Its expensive & old however it has a certain charm & is full of Americans,International Ski Teams .

Language is not a problem in any of the resorts.

There is no Skiing 6000M unless your thinking of hiking up Aconcagua (actually in Argentina) Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy