Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kids' first ski trip. Age 4 and 6. Tips?

Poster: A snowHead
Well it's our first time bringing the kids to the slopes. One week. Two boys, 4 and 6. Both well able to run around, kick a ball, all the usual boy things. First time skiing, wearing ski gear, boots, helmets. We've been playing loads of ski/snowboard stuff on the TV for them to get them a bit excited about it. And promises of *lots* of hot chocolate Very Happy

They're booked into ski school - two hours in the morning and afternoon - but we're fully expecting one or both to miss one just because... well who knows really!

So, any tips in general that folks have found useful for helping smallies on ski trips?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Take snow shovel sledges with you in case none in the resort.Im going with 10 under 13s next week and bought them from Decathlon.Previous 2 trips with the kids we have bought in the resort but didn't want to risk not being able to get them.Essential kids entertainment for when the lifts stop and its apres ski time!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Take a tie-down strap - the kind you use on roof racks to tie stuff on with. You can then loop this around both sets of kids skis and tie it off to make a shoulder strap and walk them comfortably to ski school.

Don't forget to put snacks in their pockets.

Take a light moisturiser for their faces and make them use it every night

Put factor 50 on their faces every day even if it isn't sunny (protects from the wind burn)

Make them put lip balm on every time you think about it
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Never underestimate a childs ability to lose stuff, so spares of everything - gloves go walk about with monotonous regularity even if they are on string!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Allow yourself more time than you think you need to get everyone ready in the morning.
Encourage your 6 year old at least to carry his own skis at least some of the time. Getting them into this habit early will pay massive dividends over the years!
4 hours of lessons a day may be too much. It depends a lot on the kids themselves, how fit they are, the weather, how well they slept, and the pace of the lessons. Sounds like you are already prepared to be flexible with this!
Definitely make sure you don't hang around when dropping them off at ski school, and avoid the temptation to watch their lessons even a sneaky peak. Especially in the first few days. All kids, and I really mean all kids, stop any whinging or crying about 10 seconds after their parents leave and they realise it is not having any effect. And if they see you during lessons it can cause all sorts of problems. Help your instructor out with this please!
Make sure every exposed inch has regular application of factor 50 as @Lostdotfish, says and regular lip balm.
Keep them well hydrated.
Always have some chocolate/favourite sweets in your pockets for treats. But obviously be careful of anything hard (like boiled sweets). Seriously have had kids left in ski school with pockets full of hard sweets that they kept popping, a very real danger of choking if they fall with one of those in their mouth.
Finally, relax and remind yourself it is a holiday! If it does not all go perfectly all of the time, don't worry. If they don't like it, don't worry. If you are 5 minutes late apologise, try to not do it again, but don't worry. It will all come good in the end (and cost you a fortune but it will be worth it).
If you can get them at least one lesson at a dry slop or indoor slope. It does not really matter which. The only real purpose is to get you all somewhat used to ski boots, skis and ski clothing so your first morning goes a little more smoothly.
Good luck! It is a long time since ours were that wee, I miss it so a jealous of you!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Also take two pairs of gloves each and take them with you when out in the snow, for when first pair get wet or lost or dropped (it will happen).

Ameliorate the risk of glove loss by using idiot glove straps as they used to be called.

4 hours of ski school a day sounds quite a lot. Don’t push it if they get overtired or ratty. Will just be counter productive.

Check for non-skiing activities nearby and think about the odd afternoon off. A pool is usually a good option.

Get decent clothing to keep warm, if they get cold its all over.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

4 hours of lessons a day may be too much.

I wondered that, too. None of ours had more than 2 hours. Depending on the kids, the problem might not be the length of ski time but their missing you and wanting to spend time with you. 6 is an ideal age to start proper ski lessons but 4 is quite young, depending on the child. In many cases 4 year olds will spend some of the time indoors playing, having snacks etc.

All ours loved it, and wanted to do more outside lessons, but very much with us - to show off how clever they were. I spent a long time with one 7 year old granddaughter who wanted to play "ski instructors". She was the instructor, natch and I had to do as I was told.

Lots of good tips above - I'd add one. Tell them how difficult it will be to organise having a wee once you've left the accommodation, get them to go at the last minute. And then leave enough time for some changing of mind. Locate the toilet nearest to the ski school meeting place. Calculate how long it'll take to get them organised, then double it.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Deffo at least 2 pairs of gloves. The ski pair and the snow play pair!

Find out on tourist info if there are any post ski or lunchtime family activities planned for when you go.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Our two were the same age when we started. 4 hours a day

Get them ready early and head out for some snowman, snowball, sledging fun to waste time until the lesson

Be prepared for them to 'hate skiing' for the first couple of lessons as it's just learning to stop and side-stepping up 10m of slope.

After that, they loved it and even wanted a few extra runs at the end of the day. Turning and all that will go out of the window as soon as they are free from the instructor so don't try and force them to practice, just keep an eye on them and let them 'win' the race

Above all, enjoy it!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Our two just couldn't be stopped from getting involved, they'd been there younger and so it was a environment to look forward to. But huge enthusiasm to be involved was unstoppable.

Warmed boots to put on, the ski boots and what they wear after will help take that out of their problem equation.

More recently another family with a 6.5 age first time visiting, we just couldn't stop him all day long, excellent lessons, out all afternoon, then toboggan evenings. Slept like someone had just switched him off Very Happy at nine o'clock, ready to go again.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ster wrote:

4 hours of ski school a day sounds quite a lot. Don’t push it if they get overtired or ratty. Will just be counter productive.

I agree - ours (6 and Cool did morning ski school - 9:00-12:30 and that was enough. Then they got to unwind at lunch, go sledging or swimming in the afternoon.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Splash out on good gloves and socks

Chocolates / Sweets in pockets

Treats after ski school - hot chocolate, chips, whatever - works well for bribery on the inevitable morning that you meet resistance

Estimate the time you need to get ready and get to ski school in the morning - then treble it - you'll still arrive a sweaty mess

Have put 4 through this from age 4 - it's worth it, believe me
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The 4 hours a day might work, it depends on the kid but also how much if it is playing etc. When ours were that small the 2 hour lesson would actually involve about one hour of skiing. It takes that long to get them sorted, do some stuff, get them all in for a break, and back out again. Which is good as they don't get too tired out or bored.

But I do agree with @pam w, that they might much prefer to spend the afternoon with you. Some of my fondest memories were doing that, especially when they wanted to show off their skiing skills. My main advice would be to not see that as missed skiing time for you, but rather as gained quality time with your kids.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You will see from above if not already realised that your expected time skiing will be much less than BC (before children) and less than you think it will be, so it’s important you get your head around that and not presume as they are in ski school for 4 fours a day you will get 4 hours of uninterrupted adult skiing.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ster wrote:
You will see from above if not already realised that your expected time skiing will be much less than BC (before children) and less than you think it will be, so it’s important you get your head around that and not presume as they are in ski school for 4 fours a day you will get 4 hours of uninterrupted adult skiing.

This is why morning ski school worked well. You can get 3 hours of uninturrupted skiing and be back well in time for the 12.30 end of lesson. Then either enjoy the afternoon doing other things or take it in turns with your partner to get a few afternoon runs in. This worked really well for us this year (our first family ski trip).

I think the 2 hours, break, 2 hours would end up eating up more of your time than a longer morning session.
snow report
Lostdotfish wrote:
ster wrote:

This is why morning ski school worked well. You can get 3 hours of uninturrupted skiing and be back well in time for the 12.30 end of lesson. Then either enjoy the afternoon doing other things or take it in turns with your partner to get a few afternoon runs in. This worked really well for us this year (our first family ski trip).

I think the 2 hours, break, 2 hours would end up eating up more of your time than a longer morning session.

Also, which ski school are you using? ESF are, in my experience, incredible. I used to work as a resort rep and had a lot to do with them back in the day and we used them for our kids lessons this year - they were really really good.
ski holidays
What they said. You are not going on a ski holiday. You are taking the children to learn to ski. There might be a bit of skiing in it for you, but not much. Get your head around that and it should be a great holiday.

I would "big up" the challenge and the fun beforehand, so they were mentally prepared for playing, cold, balance issues, other kids great or mean (just like school), being tired etc, rather than saying it would all be perfect then they get disappointed when its not. Compare it to anything else that it took them time to learn, I dunno, bike riding or something. Yes they fall off, but they get back and eventually they can do it better.

I bought a couple of key rings - ideally souvenir key rings from local shop, let them choose - then take off the fob and hang the ring off a side zip. Then any times the gloves come off, they MUST be hooked through the ring (most gloves come with joining clips I think). Maybe that only really works from age 7+ but good if you can get that already.
ski holidays
We used ESF in La Tania and Les Menuires - our kids survived being the only English in the group in Les Men. Definitely not as touchy feely / gentle as some other schools we used but their skiing came on brilliantly (although I think this totally depends on individual instructors)
latest report
My admiration for the (often young) ski instructors who teach the little ones knows no bounds. One group some of ours were in were skiing backwards before the end of the first week - now THERE's a skill to show your parents as well as a great way to get a feel for how the edges work, and to help recover from some "whoopsie" moments when they end up with the front of the skis facing up the hill.

I watched one girl working with some little "Piou Pious" one very cold morning. They'd done the waving the arms up and down, then she got them lifting one ski, then the other. Then she told them to lift both skis. A moment of bemusement then one little lad started jumping and soon they were all at it, with varying degrees of success, but all having a ball. Genius.
snow report
We had our 6 year old do morning and afternoon / by the time they spend time on the lift, a very long lunch involving snowball fights and and making sure they’ve all been to the loo, he was fine with it. Even had enough energy to go for a swim after.

Make sure they’ve been to the toilet before they get dressed, and allow longer than you think! And double check they definitely don’t need another wee.
snow conditions
If you're not staying _right_ next to the slopes:
* Dakine heli pro backpack - mine can carry at least 3 sets of skis in various positions. As tempting as it would be to get one for each child and hand them your skis, probably easier for you to wear it...
* Big blue Ikea bag(s) - when you collect them at the end of the day, they will immediately shed a pile of gloves, hats, helmets, goggles, nice rocks they found, sweet wrappers etc. One big bag to throw all the stuff into makes life easier and stops things getting lost.

As @Orange200, says, the first trip is much more about them than you.

Only you know how your kids react - will bribery (as suggested multiple times on here) make it seem like you're trying to get them to do something they don't want to do? and skiing is a chore, like going to school? We tended to position the nice experiences (e.g. hot chocolate, sweets etc.), simply as part of skiing rather than as reward.
ski holidays
Lostdotfish wrote:
Take a tie-down strap - the kind you use on roof racks to tie stuff on with. You can then loop this around both sets of kids skis and tie it off to make a shoulder strap and walk them comfortably to ski school.

Put factor 50 on their faces every day even if it isn't sunny (protects from the wind burn)

Love that tie down strap idea. I remember seeing parents with something similar.

We hope to have the skis in a locker beside the lift but I'll chuck something in the bag just in case!
snow report
zikomo wrote:
Allow yourself more time than you think you need to get everyone ready in the morning.
Encourage your 6 year old at least to carry his own skis at least some of the time. Getting them into this habit early will pay massive dividends over the years!
4 hours of lessons a day may be too much. It depends a lot on the kids themselves, how fit they are, the weather, how well they slept, and the pace of the lessons. Sounds like you are already prepared to be flexible with this!
Definitely make sure you don't hang around when dropping them off at ski school, and avoid the temptation to watch their lessons even a sneaky peak. Especially in the first few days. All kids, and I really mean all kids, stop any whinging or crying about 10 seconds after their parents leave and they realise it is not having any effect. And if they see you during lessons it can cause all sorts of problems. Help your instructor out with this please!
Yeah the ski school thing was something we thought long and hard about, as well as contacting some of the local ski schools at the resort. There was only one morning-only option available to us and given one of the boys can be a massive grump in the morning we considered it a better plan to go with morning *and* afternoon and judge it day by day (and session by session!) whether they'd be up for it. The ski schools didn't seem to mind if they missed the odd afternoon (or morning) and between ourselves and my partner's parents we will have people around to do swimming or sledging or snowman-making Happy
latest report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

4 hours of lessons a day may be too much.

I wondered that, too. None of ours had more than 2 hours. Depending on the kids, the problem might not be the length of ski time but their missing you and wanting to spend time with you. 6 is an ideal age to start proper ski lessons but 4 is quite young, depending on the child. In many cases 4 year olds will spend some of the time indoors playing, having snacks etc.

All ours loved it, and wanted to do more outside lessons, but very much with us - to show off how clever they were. I spent a long time with one 7 year old granddaughter who wanted to play "ski instructors". She was the instructor, natch and I had to do as I was told.

Lots of good tips above - I'd add one. Tell them how difficult it will be to organise having a wee once you've left the accommodation, get them to go at the last minute. And then leave enough time for some changing of mind. Locate the toilet nearest to the ski school meeting place. Calculate how long it'll take to get them organised, then double it.
Both of the kids will be REALLY wanting to show off to us. Can't wait!!

Great tip about finding the closest "wee wee place" to the lift. Thanks.
snow report
dingbat wrote:
Lostdotfish wrote:

Love that tie down strap idea. I remember seeing parents with something similar.

We hope to have the skis in a locker beside the lift but I'll chuck something in the bag just in case!

I had it with me for securing my disintegrating snowboard bag. After 2 days of struggling with skis down to the meet point (Piou Piou beginners is often a walk down a nursery slope not at the main meeting point) trying to get them to carry their skis and then ending up trying to carry theres and mine... I finally remembered I had it with me and from that point on getting to and back from lessons was easy. By day 3 they were also comfortable sking down the green to their meeting point and using the magic carpets coming back up.
snow report
ster wrote:
Yeah for sure. Our radius won't be as large, but that's ok. We are lucky in that we will have my wife's parents there also, so between us all we'll be able to give each other some "long session" skis.
snow conditions
kettonskimum wrote:
Deffo at least 2 pairs of gloves. The ski pair and the snow play pair!

Find out on tourist info if there are any post ski or lunchtime family activities planned for when you go.
Excellent. Thank you. Hadn't thought of that and should be easy enough to find out in advance.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
My admiration for the (often young) ski instructors who teach the little ones knows no bounds. One group some of ours were in were skiing backwards before the end of the first week - now THERE's a skill to show your parents as well as a great way to get a feel for how the edges work, and to help recover from some "whoopsie" moments when they end up with the front of the skis facing up the hill.

I watched one girl working with some little "Piou Pious" one very cold morning. They'd done the waving the arms up and down, then she got them lifting one ski, then the other. Then she told them to lift both skis. A moment of bemusement then one little lad started jumping and soon they were all at it, with varying degrees of success, but all having a ball. Genius.
Man I can't wait to see them. Both took to scooters and cycling very quickly so we're hoping that same sense of balance and daring will serve them well! Cool
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lostdotfish wrote:
Lostdotfish wrote:
ster wrote:

Also, which ski school are you using? ESF are, in my experience, incredible. I used to work as a resort rep and had a lot to do with them back in the day and we used them for our kids lessons this year - they were really really good.
we're in Zell am See. I'm not actually sure of the school itself (booked ultimately via travel agent). There are only a couple of options though and I was talking with both.
snow conditions
Lower your expectations.

And again.

Now you will all have a wonderful holiday snowHead
snow report
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Lower your expectations.

And again.

Now you will all have a wonderful holiday snowHead
And remember my hip flask.
snow conditions
You will need small ones for the kids' pockets.
ski holidays
Laughing
ski holidays
Orange200 wrote:
What they said. You are not going on a ski holiday. You are taking the children to learn to ski. There might be a bit of skiing in it for you, but not much. Get your head around that and it should be a great holiday.

I would "big up" the challenge and the fun beforehand, so they were mentally prepared for playing, cold, balance issues, other kids great or mean (just like school), being tired etc, rather than saying it would all be perfect then they get disappointed when its not. Compare it to anything else that it took them time to learn, I dunno, bike riding or something. Yes they fall off, but they get back and eventually they can do it better.

I bought a couple of key rings - ideally souvenir key rings from local shop, let them choose - then take off the fob and hang the ring off a side zip. Then any times the gloves come off, they MUST be hooked through the ring (most gloves come with joining clips I think). Maybe that only really works from age 7+ but good if you can get that already.

exactly. I have lost three (or four?) weeks of skiing (and i mean ZERO Skiing or boarding) , only standing near the kids area because my son wanted that i was always there to wathch him , otherwise he wanted to go away. At the end i catch some feet cold blisters and i had to visit the Hospital for a local treatment. But what the hell...it worth it.
He was 3,5 i think. Today almost 4 years later, during our holiday in Januar, i noticed that he is too quick for me.
Until now i had the option to wait or play a little on the slope, but during the last days of this week in Flaine i was struggling to follow him.

Patience, all the kinder clothes X 2, and some Haribo in the pocketes make miracles.
Enjoy these days....
snow conditions
@dingbat, we’re taking our 3&6yr olds for a full week later on this month. Swiss ski school where we are headed is 2hrs, then 2hrs of creche or chill/ afternoon activities. Our goal is for them to want to do more afterwards!
ski holidays
Lostdotfish wrote:
Take a tie-down strap - the kind you use on roof racks to tie stuff on with. You can then loop this around both sets of kids

I know he typed more but this was all my mind registered Laughing
latest report
Don’t skimp on gloves. Children feel the cold, so keep them warm. Same goes for undergarments. Buy them balaclavas rather than snoods if it’s forecast to be cold. Loads of snacks. Loads of breaks for hot chocolate. Be prepared to knock it on the head if they get tired/grumpy.

Don’t spend the whole time skiing. Go sledding, go on a luge if there is one. Have a snowball fight. Several in fact.
snow report
@ster, nothing wrong with idiot straps. I won’t buy skiing gloves for myself unless they have them! Read into that what you will.
snow report
@Timmycb5, i have idiot straps and I still have my gloves 8yrs on…. Mr NN not so lucky with his loosey goosey approach to handschuhe
ski holidays
- We put spares on radiators before leaving in the morning, swapped at lunch so they always had warm dry socks/snoods/gloves etc.
- They will take far longer than you think to get ready, think of a number, double it, treble that, and you are just about right
- Provide variety, go swimming/ice skating/tobogganing
- little card with our contact details in an inside pocket, packet of tissues in one external pocket, sweets/chocolate in the other (or everything in my rucksack), lipsalve and SPF on a lanyard around their necks (if not in pockets)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy