Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Suggestions: Alpine touring towns for year round living

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@davidof, I’ve nothing like your experience but that’s my impression of Chamonix too.

Great if you want to be in with the in-crowd or are looking for serious gnar. But for classic touring - nah.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@nomadengineer, Curved ball here - Schroeken in Bregenzerwald - google it, understated and quiet touring. Great in summer, proper old-school Alpine experience.

If you are looking for big vert though, never been but i'm told La Grave is touring capital of France wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
nomadengineer wrote:

- Not too busy, but a steady throughput of internationals, new people to meet and ride with.
- Don't need any après but one local drinking hole will do.
- A livable year round place so more a real town, opportunities for work locally and people that live there year round.
- Reasonably priced long term rental accommodation.
- Good summer activities, MTBing, climbing etc.

A lot of ski resorts are mad busy during the season and then a ghost town out of season. Accommodation prices often correlate to local wages / job opportinities. Depending on what line of business you are in, you may need to have a resonable command of the local language to obtain work. Here in Austria the larger towns (e.g. Innsbruck and Salzburg) would probably best suit your needs. Somewhere just out of town but with a good transport connection to the centre might work best - lower rental costs compared to the town, not bombarded with tourists in the high season but not cut off from civilisation in the off-season ("here comes Johnny").

...... although when compared to England they are not very big towns.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_and_towns_in_Austria
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Timmaah wrote:
....this will cause some controversy amongst some people here but if you are under 40 I would give Briancon a strong miss. I think you would struggle to find like minded people your age you can hang/shred with......

Totally agree with you, that's why we love it so much Laughing

But agreed there is not a huge seasonaire-type party vibe going on here for singles etc

When I first came here I joined the CAF Briancon and went ski touring with them for a couple of seasons, but again outside of the skiing there was not any real social side to it.

Another friend joined Briancon rugby club, and he did well, but to really ingratiate yourself into the local community here it helps to have kids that go to the local school and the associated social life that brings.

I often get asked by friends if I can take their friends out touring who might be staying here, but it's a bit of a moot point for a variety of reasons, not least I'm not a feckin guide, and people don't understand it's really dependent on conditions, and I only go when it should be good, and then I don't want to feel responsible for people I don't know, as I've had a few mares in the past.

And as for Tromso, I've been up there five times, and whilst great mid-April onwards I don't think I could cope with only an hour or so of daylight each day for three or four months?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Another great source of relevant info is:

https://www.refuges.info

This is in french but shows on maps almost every refuge in and around the Alps along with a great deal of information. Possibly not the best way to start your search but once you've narrowed your options then it will give a very good idea of the touring possibilities.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy