Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How do I know if I need stiffer boots

Poster: A snowHead
Layne wrote:

Mmmm... is that not the nature of the beast. Can it be expected that everyone always has great control and/or travels at speeds that will not hurt others - which in essence means eliminating any collision whatsoever. I mean as I say I do try and I hope others do - and touch wood that has happened but I can't hand on heart say I never push the envelope sometimes. I guess when I do I try to make sure I am well away from others or have enough in the bank. The other thing of course is I have been at it for 30 years but a lot of folk are obviously are a lot less experienced - and in some cases young and fearless.

I don't know I guess one of these days I will be involved with or see a significant collision and get on here/FB saying that there are too many crazies about. Just seems like there is a bit of exaggeration going on to me.

I don't think it should be the nature of the beast. The FIS/Skier's code has a prime directive of always skiing in control. Which is a complete joke compared to actual behaviour even before we get to people ignoring the other elements. Pistes shouldn't be a caveat emptor warzone. The problem is we shrug off collisions that don't result in injury as "one of those things" or "just a genuine accident" when really they involve negligence by one or more parties.

Maybe I'm just particularly sensitive having come within a hair's breadth of being creamed twice in a week at the EOSB last year (once by a French race coach who asserted there was no code!) and a couple of years ago being smashed off a cattrack at Jackson Hole by an idiot trying to huck it. That incident was bad enough for me to take out an instructor standing on the cattrack who I was passing so really it was a 3 party collision in which I was totally blameless. The instructor group were perhaps more contributory by standing all over the place blocking sightlines for the idiot. I don't think I hurt myself but it could easily have been a broken neck or a concussion or a trashed knee given the kinetics. If the instructors had power to pull passes I might have been more comfortable (though the guy I was cannoned in to was first blaming me).

I accept that there are those that can ski at high speed while being totally safe and in control but even they can make mistakes or let ego overrule sense (the French race coach). But we're not really talking about them we're talking about the fast majority who are more vulnerable to poor judgement or errors. Because as anyone who has smashed themselves backwards through a piste marker can testify when poo-poo goes sideways it can go sideways very fast.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Unfortunately, after tomorrow it's one of the reasons we will not be going up the hill so often, as we enter the four weeks of madness, and it's just impossible to ski safely at 110 kph on the piste as there are just too many people Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
phil_w wrote:
I.
Carv: each to their own. How does a machine switch its "scoring" when on a bump field, or in crud, or crust, or powder? Are they "teaching" (calibrated to) an Austrian skier or a US skier? The styles are massively different. With snowboarding it's worse - how you pressure a board varies depending on the board's design as well as your style. Craig rode very differently from Terje: which is "correct"? How does that work, exactly? I'm not slagging the thing, I'm trying to understand what it is trying to do.

The clue is in the title really, it's purpose is to improve piste skiing and carving performance.

If you use it in bumps crud and powder etc, you'll score badly, it's not designed for that.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Raceplate, just over 2 weeks ago ... but, no, not since ...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
swskier wrote:
.....The clue is in the title really, it's purpose is to improve piste skiing and carving performance.....

Laughing

And it's nothing like Strava*, in that it's a very precise coaching system, I only use the FreeSki mode but there are a whole load of other modes, it can, for instance, give you an edging score on every turn you do. Whenever you stop, and that's up to you it will give you a score but that's based on 4 or 5 metrics, pressure, edging and topple being the most important.

And then when going back up on the lift you'll hear some coaching advice on what to concentrate on next run.

Back up the hill for the last time for a while me thinks, especially the way the weather is looking, as the next couple of weeks it will be boilerplate city up there by 10:00 with the holiday hordes!

*for sure you might get hooked, but it's really only for skiing on your own or with another Carv enthusiast and on the piste, in that the soles are only in my downhill boots.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

it will be boilerplate city up there by 10:00 with the holiday hordes!

Skullie
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
zikomo wrote:
@Raceplate, poster above claimed 116.8kph which is more than 70mph.

The only way to really know how fast you are going is a calibrated speed gun. I have done that, it’s very interesting how different speeds feel when you are on skis.

As I wasn't in possession of a calibrated speed gun I could only go with what Messrs Garmin and Strava told me! It's possible I was doing more, or less, or even exactly that speed - all I know is that I was going like the clappers in full tuck on a freshly groomed empty piste from the link cable car station at Fieberbrunn almost down to the chair below. It certainly felt fast and far too scary, and as a biker, I've exceeded 70mph (on the autobahn Laughing ) on a number of occasions in an open face helmet with sunnies, so I've got a vague idea how speed feels.
Either way, I decided very quickly that this was pure foolishness and never-to-be-repeated. And as I said earlier I wouldn't dream of going any faster than 116.3kmh now snowHead Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As I said earlier I think that could well be the last day of hooning around on the piste carving wide turns at speed etc for a while as the holidays start tomorrow and even then first lifts will also be busy, but we will have to wait and see what's on the daily menu.

I've never really compared GPS speeds with the different tech available be it bike computer, garmin watch or phone, though I've never been impressed with phone GPS, this morning Carv max speed taken from phone, 85.5 whilst Garmin Fenix watch speed was 83.5 but Strava which takes the speed from the watch and maybe additional algorithms 88.2kph rolling eyes

And you can see how busy the piste was Cool

https://youtube.com/shorts/pHKeDgAAQnM?feature=share
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Weathercam wrote:
A
I've never really compared GPS speeds with the different tech available be it bike computer, garmin watch or phone, though I've never been impressed with phone GPS, this morning Carv max speed taken from phone, 85.5 whilst Garmin Fenix watch speed was 83.5 but Strava which takes the speed from the watch and maybe additional algorithms 88.2kph rolling eyes

And you can see how busy the piste was Cool

https://youtube.com/shorts/pHKeDgAAQnM?feature=share

All them turns done slowed you right down Laughing Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Weathercam, more importantly, give us your top carv score for the day!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
145 so one off my PB Evil or Very Mad

Hence I worked hard* but not well enough.

It's actually getting to the bottle factor now, having big enough Kahoonas to lean more and have faith in the G-Force etc

BobinCH wrote:
.....Your hand is not even touching the ground. Please try harder…

Nearly Laughing

* though av hr piste skiing is so low !!!!!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Weathercam wrote:
145 so one off my PB Evil or Very Mad

My top score remains intact then Laughing

I might try and see if mine fit in my new boots, and give them a go at the end of the season. Will be interesting to see what my top speed says when i'm having a go at this....

http://youtube.com/v/eAT5ZZBPdfM
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@swskier, go on then, what's your score, are you a Grim Ripper then Toofy Grin

Friend of ours here last night sent me a pic of his ten year old grandson cranking his edges, but he is more or less a French local kid and we all know what they are like!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Weathercam, no i'm not, when I used it Jan last year for a day, I got 147, but it was a fairly gentle blue slope.

I'd be interested what i'd be at now, I have boots that fit properly, better skis, plus i'm a better skier then I was back then.

Will see if my inserts don't fit in the boots which the size guide suggests, and give them ago at the end of the season when i'm back out.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@swskier, are you doing the Super-Drei?
snow report
@swskier, Nice run!
snow report
Weathercam wrote:

* though av hr piste skiing is so low !!!!!

Out of curiosity how was that picture taken?
snow report
Going by all the dick waving should we rename this thread how will I know if I need a stiffer penìs?
ski holidays
I know an coach in the US who has carved out a little niche specifically focusing on helping people ( well let's be honest it's competitive blokes) improve their Carv caste. He says if someone tips enough he'll even offer to borrow their footbeds to get them grim ripper status.
latest report
@Dave of the Marmottes, how much did he quote you ? Laughing

@euanovsky, here you go, re how I got the shot etc

https://www.stylealtitude.com/gopro-max-360-skiing-how-to-film-and-mount-camera.html
ski holidays
Whitegoldsbrother wrote:
Going by all the dick waving should we rename this thread how will I know if I need a stiffer penìs?

Well if we're willy waving then my Whitedots have officially done 143mph (not kph) Cool

@swskier, great run.
snow conditions
Weathercam wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, how much did he quote you ? Laughing

He said it has to be in the realms of the credible
snow conditions
ok lot's of compliments, but that video isn't me racing, just the race i'm giving a go with some mates Laughing
snow report
@swskier, I did wonder who was in the video ?

All week long next to where we were skiing the same piste for 4 or so runs, various regiments of the British Army were on another piste segregated for them with double netting etc and they all congregated by the same lift that we took with all their boot bags and equipment.

Every time we took the chair sometimes with them, we could see what they were up to, but I never saw any actual skiing at speed it seemed to be all slow skiing / snowploughing the course stopping at the various gates so all course reconnaissance I presume, and maybe the racing always started after we cleared off?

Obviously, it's the downhill where they take an almost an inordinate amount of time race prepping as opposed to slalom where they just get on with it, I don't know, maybe those that do can enlighten?

I should ask them, but think they've all gone now as yesterday piste was back to normal.
snow report
spyderjon wrote:
Whitegoldsbrother wrote:

Well if we're willy waving then my Whitedots have officially done 143mph (not kph) Cool

@swskier, great run.

I win! Powder skis with 112 under foot hit 250kph (think that is 155mph). Reasonably reliable speed measurement too*

* not with me attached to skis though! Audi RS4, alone, long straight on the autobahn with both lanes completely clear, hit the speed limiter at 250kph. Never again…..even on a completely empty road it was terrifying and I backed off straight away.
latest report
zikomo wrote:
Audi RS4, alone, long straight on the autobahn with both lanes completely clear, hit the speed limiter at 250kph. Never again…..even on a completely empty road it was terrifying and I backed off straight away.

I was about to agree about how terrifying that sort of speed can be, based on the one time I really opened up my GSXR1000 on a French motorway, getting up to something like 180mph before I saw a car in the distance ahead and backed off, but then I remembered that I used to quite regularly ride it at well over 200kph on ordinary roads without it feeling at all scary.

I guess it's a question of perspective.

My perspective changed after I had a crash at, or at least braking from, that sort of speed around 15 years ago now. Suddenly, after 30 years riding, motorcycling became very scary indeed and I've never been back on one since. Some friends suggested that I could just get a slower bike, a cruiser, whatever. To me that's a bit like suggesting giving up alpine skiing for cross-country, i.e. completely and utterly pointless. Laughing YMMV.
ski holidays
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
.......To me that's a bit like suggesting giving up alpine skiing for cross-country, i.e. completely and utterly pointless......

Careful Laughing

In fact, literally this morning I'm just starting to research a feature on how feckin useless Alpine skiing is for fitness, to really annoy some people on here Laughing

After five days of piste skiing, admittedly only for two to three hours, but I'd surmise at an intensity probably above the average holiday skier; my fitness level has plummeted, so I'm going to resort to some running to try and claw back some of that lost fitness, as too windy for XC and ski-touring is big fact NO currently and I can't be arsed to set the turbo up in the garage.

This is one load of bolloxx I've already come across

Why Skiing Is a Ridiculously Good Workout - TIMEhttps://time.com › Health › Exercise & Fitness
Jan 25, 2018 — In terms of working your heart, Niebauer's research has shown that downhill skiing roughly equates to cycling or rowing workouts...
snow conditions
@Weathercam, Skiing generally makes people feel (and actually be) a bit fitter mostly because they come from sea level and are then active for a week or so at high(er) altitudes. That is of course absolutely no benefit to you!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Was wondering the same thing about my own boots of late.

Got mine fitted at Snow and Rock before my first ever trip in 2016. We did a few lessons in the snowdome and the rentals killed me, so decided to take the plunge with my own boots. Being an beginner at the time I didn't know any better about Snow and Rock fitting, but got very luck with an experience chap there who I think, did a good job. I asked him a boot that I could progress into but still would be forgiving enough for an absolute beginner.
He ultimately fitted me with a pair of Atomic Hawx boots with a slight toe adjustment and a pair of footbeds. They are so comfy and have done the job well for me these last 7 years and 10 ski weeks. I know in the grand scheme of things that is hardly any time at all on snow for a pair of boots. However they are only 100 flex. I'm a 6ft 1" sporty guy who weighs 94 kg and I now feel that they just aren't stiff enough.
My skiing has advanced enough that I am really driving the boots in my carving turns but I'm not getting much back. I also have them at the max adjustment so can't get any tighter in them, so I'm thinking it probably time for a new pair ahead of next season. Especially if I want to progress my skiing further.
ski holidays
Quote:

I'm just starting to research a feature on how feckin useless Alpine skiing is for fitness, to really annoy some people on here

Only people who think that downhill skiing is good for fitness. Not many SHs, I imagine, are that daft.
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@swskier, are you doing the Super-Drei?

The Allalin race in Saas Fee

https://www.saas-fee.ch/en/events/top-events-im-winter/allalin-races?bpid=1134587928&chk=f2Fi23R2fJ&mid=1012367445&nlid=1585338106&cHash=b0e5a248a63e93967c3d12c5a7016eb6
ski holidays
@Fridge03, I suspect that the Boots weren't that far away at the start......but there may be an argument that even as a total Beginner, you should have been put in something more appropriate for your size/weight. I however am not a Bootfitter.

Roll on to today and I suspect that they are much too soft. Go to someone who knows what they are doing and they will put you in the correct boot.
snow report
@swskier, good for you. Some chums and I did the Super-Vier (Belalp-Hexe, Muerren Inferno, Davos Parsenn Derby and Allalin) having done several Infernos and checked out the Allalin the prior year.

They're all mostly just good clean crazy Swiss fun, Hexe a bit more dafter. Except the Parsenn, which takes itself totally seriously. Despite gracefully receiving 3 very silly Scotspeople, kilts and all, the Parsenn withdrew from the S-Vier forthwith and is now, I think, only open to seeded racers. I like to think we broke them.

Anyway, Allalin pretty straightforward except that if it's a long course it gets steadily narrower (and scarier) as you get towards the finish Shocked
snow report
Old Fartbag wrote:
@Fridge03, I suspect that the Boots weren't that far away at the start......but there may be an argument that even as a total Beginner, you should have been put in something more appropriate for your size/weight. I however am not a Bootfitter.

Roll on to today and I suspect that they are much too soft. Go to someone who knows what they are doing and they will put you in the correct boot.

Agreed. When my group I went away with saw them and the flex I can get in them, they were very surprised. Not that we ski like hooligans, but we do ski quick and under control getting our turns in. But they were shocked I was able to keep up with them!

I'll be heading to Captains Cabin in Sevenoaks soon to get a new pair. Several of my close friends (and OH) had their boots fitted there and the service/knowledge is excellent.
snow conditions
@under a new name, the guys i'm going with will have done the 3, Hexe, Inferno and Allalin this season. I've not done any before, and i'm borrowing a pair of my mates 213 skis, and won't get there until Thursday evening ahead of the Friday team race. So it could be an interesting experience learning how the skis work, while racing down the course! Laughing Laughing
snow report
@swskier, haha! that's standard "virgin" operating procedure Twisted Evil Twisted Evil just take it easy on your first outing, well as easy as you are happy with.

We took a chum out for his first Inferno and despite much protestation that he was ex-World Cup DH (not European country, many years previously) they held him to his very late start. It was a little messy, although he did very tidily Skullie
latest report
@under a new name, like I said to my mates, I'll follow them down on Friday, and leave them behind on Saturday Laughing
ski holidays
@Fridge03, I have Atomic Hawx 110 and I am 6'4" 100kgs and advanced punter skier.

As we know the flex rating doesn't always match out but I would have thought on same model of boot they would.

Mine are 2019 though so maybe manufacturing process or plastic used could have changed.
snow conditions
Layne wrote:
@Fridge03, I have Atomic Hawx 110 and I am 6'4" 100kgs and advanced punter skier.

As we know the flex rating doesn't always match out but I would have thought on same model of boot they would.

Mine are 2019 though so maybe manufacturing process or plastic used could have changed.

I got my Hawx 110 in 2016 from JoJo. I'm probably an advanced punter skier - but 5'10" and 64kg. I wouldn't want to be on anything less stiff.
snow conditions
zikomo wrote:

I win! Powder skis with 112 under foot hit 250kph (think that is 155mph). Reasonably reliable speed measurement too*

Given this is about willy waving there is a clear and obvious error in this statement. 112mm is not a true powder ski. wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy