Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SCGB Insurance = USELESS

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My wife was waiting for 3 months for settlement of a medical/recovery claim on our SCGB insurance last year. However, once we complained to SCGB, the claim was settled by the insurance company within 24 hrs.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
[quote="Dave of the Marmottes"]To be honest I don't know why people don't GHIC, self insure on cancellation risk and Austrian Alpine Club for the ski injuries and rescue/repatriation. The big drawback with the AAC cover, as far as I can see, is that it only provides €10,000 medical cover, which I don't think is sufficient for a serious accident. It is also only valid for trips up to 8 weeks, which is not long enough if you are lucky enough to be able to stay out for a season.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
SCGB Insurance = USELESS
I'll second that.

When our annual policy renewal was due last December, I contacted SCGB to diligently advise of a referral to hospital for tests in relation to a minor health issue - with (given the state of the NHS) an indefinite waiting time.

The result? Cover refused. Despite my best representations, they just wouldn't entertain excluding the (non life-threatening) minor condition and would only provide cover once test results were known.

Thankfully, the hospital and health issue has now been resolved, but we'll not be insuring through SCGB again. We've ended up using MPI - unlimited amount of ski days on an annual policy and covered off piste without a guide.

But MPI, like almost all other travel insurers, may also refuse cover if you are awaiting any test results when you take out the insurance.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Mike S, sure seasonnaires are different but remember the 10k is on top of EHIC/GHIC cover. It's not enough in US obviously but in Europe should work in most circumstances.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Got paid out by a BMC Insurance annual policy recently, was straight forward enough, took them about a month to pay out but that was with Christmas and New Year in between.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
But MPI, like almost all other travel insurers, may also refuse cover if you are awaiting any test results when you take out the insurance
Probably. I was just venting my spleen at what was a very frustrating situation. Without going into the medical details, they were unable to apply common sense and exclude a condition that was the life threatening equivalent and risk of a broken finger nail.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
2019 SCGB insurance was underwritten by Travel Insurance Facilities. The whole experience (5 months to resolve the claim after a broken ankle) was woeful. Started with failure to answer the “emergency” phone and failure to arrange airport assistance as promised. The Ski Club were initially sympathetic and (I think) tried to assist but TIF were, to my mind hopeless. The issue is who is the underwriter as I believe that a number of companies use / used them. I see that TIF was prevented from offering emergency assistance by the FCA in 2022.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Whoops, I see that TIF successfully sued The Times for libel so perhaps my statement above is unjustified. However, my experience remains far from ideal and would never buy a policy underwritten by them again.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@valais2, That's good news - perhaps better approach to these things than we have in the UK
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I know the country has many other problems right now but there does appear to be an industry failure here. Whereby there are a numerous companies selling insurance but then farming out to claim handles who, with little connection/oversight and with the consumer seeming to have little ability to do much about it.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mike S wrote:
My wife was waiting for 3 months for settlement of a medical/recovery claim on our SCGB insurance last year. However, once we complained to SCGB, the claim was settled by the insurance company within 24 hrs.

Its funny you said that - after I had finally spoken to someone at CSA (who "uploaded" to the loss adjustor various documents I had already emailed them 4 weeks ago ...) and I also emailed SCGB (and whinged on here).

I got an email last night from CSA saying my claim has now been reviewed and is pending authorisation for settlement!

So I probably should have moaned sooner - maybe this is how all claims handling companies work and I have been a bit harsh (I have never claimed on insurance since student days when we got burgled)....
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy