Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Late March: snowsure options within 2 hours drive of Geneva

Poster: A snowHead
Planning a short trip (Monday to Friday) in late March and taking my 22 yr old who hasn’t skied since their school trip 7 years ago.
Looking for suggestions of resorts that meet the following criteria:
1 Easy access: Arriving in GVA late in the day so don’t want to be driving any more than a couple of hours. That arrival time knocks most transfer options on the head so we’ll have to hire a car
2 Snow sure: I know this is always going to be in the lap of the gods, but a good snow reputation & access to high skiing would be key here. Not necessarily from the village, but as long as there was quick & easy lift access to high snowsure slopes, I’d be happy with that.
3 Proper village: this would be the icing on the cake. I'll take purpose built ‘70s cubism, but a pretty real village would be lovely. Looking for a really nice experience for “the child” to reinforce a positive image of skiing in their psyche.
Many thanks in advance.
CW snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Verbier is a very snowsure option. Last train departure 20:48. Not cheap though
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There is nowhere in France within a realistic two hours of Geneva which has that Holy Grail of easy access to high, snowsure skiing and a "proper" village. Even dropping the proper village criterion, you're struggling. The easy skiing in Chamonix (e.g. Les Houches) isn't very high. There's Avoriaz, but if the snow around is poor, it'll be rammed. You'll have a car - go the extra mile to the Tarentaise. The roads will be quiet as you're avoiding transfer Saturdays. Val d'Isere isn't '70s cubism'. Some people even describe it as a quaint proper village..... Samoens is a good village to stay in, but Flaine isn't very high and in late March there will likely NOT be snow at village level. The soggy grey ground and piles of decaying snow don't make for a great ambiance, despite the inevitable crocuses. Proper villages were not built in places likely to be covered in snow 5 months a year.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
To the choices already I'd add to that Chamonix itself, somewhere like Hotel Richmond (see what deals you can get) right in town centre.

Skiing, it's a short walk to Brèvent lift (its just round the back of the hotel near Guides office) whith access to that whole valley side, Brèvent/ Flegere with one lift to high altitude and all skiing on sunny side of valley with fabulous views of Mont Blanc etc. On it's own, as big as a smaller ski domain without even counting the other valley areas.
Day spent at Argentière is absolutely worthwhile too.

Huge scale of mountain environment, very cosmopolitan village, plenty of evening stuff to keep you occupied Very Happy all has alot going for it. Probably won't need hire car at all, flip the money into the Hotel Richmond, kick back and enjoy Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes, Chamonix is an exciting place at any time of year. Brevent/Flegere might be a bit intimidating if daughter only skied once, 7 years ago. But plenty of lesson options available.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd suggest Grand Massif, it is only an hour's drive from Geneva. It's very unlikely to have snow in the village though (Flaine might get a snow dump but that is hardly an idyllic alpine village). But, barring some natural disaster, it'd be skiable.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cardweg wrote:
Planning a short trip (Monday to Friday) in late March and taking my 22 yr old who hasn’t skied since their school trip 7 years ago.
Looking for suggestions of resorts that meet the following criteria:
1 Easy access: Arriving in GVA late in the day so don’t want to be driving any more than a couple of hours. That arrival time knocks most transfer options on the head so we’ll have to hire a car
2 Snow sure: I know this is always going to be in the lap of the gods, but a good snow reputation & access to high skiing would be key here. Not necessarily from the village, but as long as there was quick & easy lift access to high snowsure slopes, I’d be happy with that.
3 Proper village: this would be the icing on the cake. I'll take purpose built ‘70s cubism, but a pretty real village would be lovely. Looking for a really nice experience for “the child” to reinforce a positive image of skiing in their psyche.
Many thanks in advance.
CW snowHead

Zermatt is the place, train straight there from GVA. Avoriaz and Flaine are great for slush in March, or mountain biking, but not skiing. Chamonix piste skiing is rubbish, and also quite low.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Chamonix piste skiing is rubbish

Well that settles that! Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks @pam w, I’m afraid you & I are on the same page on this one. Took both kids to les Houches when they were much younger & it perfect for what I want…. just not in late March.
Avoriaz is definitely on my list, because of its height, but I’ve only ever stayed in Morzine or les Gets & hadn’t factored in the busyness that lack of snow lower down might bring.
I’d also considered Samoens and the big bubble up into Flaine. When you talk about lack of snow in the village did you mean Samoens or Flaine?
Tarentaise feels a bit far to me, having just come back from 3 Valleys a fortnight ago. Don’t really fancy driving >3hrs, but might yet be persuaded to look at Paradiski or Espace Killy. However, I can’t see us needing a huge ski area hence my quest for other options.
Thanks
CW
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@BobinCH, interesting thought. Having just come back from Courchevel, I could do with a more cost effective option. But I will check it out.
I assume the train leaves from under the airport. What’s the inward transfer like at the other end? Where is the station in relation to the village, is it a short walk, long walk, taxi etc?
Thanks,
CW
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Chamonix: “Rubbish” is entirely subjective and “low” is just not true …
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There won't be snow in Flaine (in the village) in late March (unless there is a big sudden snow dump), but it will melt in a day or two... The snow will be on pistes though, but as someone said above it will be slushy in the afternoon
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@ski3, I’d wondered about Chamonix “proper”, having skied a couple of times in les Houches but wondered, as pamw did, about the suitability of the skiing for someone with only two trips under their belt; 7 & 12 years ago.
Thanks
CW
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks @alexsas, Grand Massif was definitely on my radar. Other than Samoens & Flaine, where else might you consider staying? What about somewhere like les Carroz or the like?
Thanks
CW
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Les Contamines perhaps. 1h15m to 1.5hr drive, nice town, skiing mostly above 1500 - understand it has a bit of a micro-climate so good snow record.

Only been once - at Christmas - and quite liked the ski area - relatively small but should be enough for your purposes.
latest report
Quote:

When you talk about lack of snow in the village did you mean Samoens or Flaine?

I was talking about Samoens. It's a pretty village but I have only been there in summer.

Another suggestion - Les Contamines. The village itself is quite nice. The top, east facing, skiing is about the most reliable in the area (albeit not very high) and you can get up and down on the two-stage gondola to Signal if the lower slopes aren't worth bothering with. VERY easy drive from Geneva - google maps says 1 hour 11 minutes.
latest report
@nevis1003, tell me more about Zermatt please; particularly how close the train station is from the town. Short walk, long walk, taxi?
Thanks
CW
snow report
cardweg wrote:
Thanks @alexsas, Grand Massif was definitely on my radar. Other than Samoens & Flaine, where else might you consider staying? What about somewhere like les Carroz or the like?
Thanks
CW

I think any of the resorts would do. There is a risk that Morillon might get closed given how little snow remains, but all other access points should remain open, unless something terrible happens. I would stay in Flaine though - it is a little more expensive but more convenient and snow sure, particularly this year.
snow conditions
Of the two I’d go to Les C, due to the time to get there (easy drive) and the time you’ve got. A bit if a waste going to Zermatt with only 3 days to ski.

Les C should be ok, we were there last April when temps in the valley were over 25C but skiing was still good until it got sticky at about 2pm

Zermatt takes at least 3 1/2 hours by train. But check what time you arrive if late into GVA that all the trains and connections are still running, you need three.
ski holidays
@cardweg, the train station at Zermatt is in town. It can be a bit of a walk to parts of the town depending where you are staying and to the lifts but there are loads of little electric taxis and the ski buses.
snow report
+1 for Zermatt ... land @ GVA, grab your bags, buy a bottle of red from the supermarche and jump on a train. One change at Visp.

May I recommend the 3* Hotel Phoenix - it doesn't carry the Zermatt price tag but it's a lovely modern hotel (family owned and very friendly). It's a 15 minute walk from the station and 10 minutes from the Sunnegga base.
snow report
cardweg wrote:
@ski3, I’d wondered about Chamonix “proper”, having skied a couple of times in les Houches but wondered, as pamw did, about the suitability of the skiing for someone with only two trips under their belt; 7 & 12 years ago.
Thanks
CW

This link is enlightening as to the attributes
https://www.seechamonix.com/ski-area/brevent-flegere#:~:text=Le%20Br%C3%A9vent%20and%20La%20Fl%C3%A9g%C3%A8re,to%20Chamonix's%20main%20town%20centre.
I've taken "early" groups skill wise to Chamonix without any problems.

I'm familiar with Les Houche and know a chalet proprietor there, agree wouldn't be first choice to fit later season remit.

I absolutely love Grand Massif area, but snow, right now, as reported by eminent snowHead is going to be problematic at season end if significant change doesn't happen. All of Samöens, Morillon, Les Carroz are going to route you through the outlying problem with coverage piste in getting to Flaine itself. Sadly I'd say not really on this occasion.

Brèvent/Flegere have peak altitude higher than both Avoriaz and Flaine, dont know where that law tag comes in fir the area surrounding GVA, zermatt as compared, then yes but everything looks low in comparison.
latest report
alexsas wrote:
There won't be snow in Flaine (in the village) in late March (unless there is a big sudden snow dump)

I think some of the comments on this thread (not limited to the quote above) better describe the conditions in late April. Late March is not that late! At that time of year you would expect ample snow in Flaine, and plenty on the vast majority of pistes in Les Carroz / Morillon / Samoens (most of which face north), for example.

Any out of the Grand Massif (e.g. Flaine), Portes du Soleil (e.g. Avoriaz), Les Contamines and Verbier would fit the first two of the OP's requirements. "Proper village" is indeed more tricky, but the OP has said that snow at village level is not necessary - just easy access to snowsure slopes above. Verbier, Chatel and Morzine would both fit this requirement, for example.

Slope orientation is also quite important in late March. In a normal year I'd rather be skiing north facing slopes at 1600m than south facing ones at 2000m, for example.
ski holidays
sorry if I was misunderstood about Flaine. I meant it's unlikely to be snowy alpine village with trees covered in snow - it most likely will be grey in the resort, but of course the pistes will have more than enough snow up to the bottom.
ski holidays
Quote:

Slope orientation is also quite important in late March. In a normal year I'd rather be skiing north facing slopes at 1600m than south facing ones at 2000m, for example

That's why Les Contamines is a good bet for somebody who wants easy access from Gva and doesn't need a big ski area. It'll be far cheaper than Zermatt and is only a short, straightforward, drive from Gva. I have a friend who had an apartment in Chamonix for years and towards the end of the season they often went to Les Contamines to find good snow. Skiing to the bottom might not be possible, but the skiing down to the bottom in Les Contamines is not up to snuff anyway. The area above Signal (top of the gondola) is the best bet and is where ski lessons are likely to be starting.
snow conditions
nevis1003 wrote:

Zermatt is the place, train straight there from GVA. Avoriaz and Flaine are great for slush in March, or mountain biking, but not skiing.

Naah, that's really not the case. I did a few late-season repping slots in Flaine and we always had good snow, sometimes even dumps of powder, well into the latter half of April, and the PdS had plenty of high areas, albeit with Avoriaz likely to be busier if it's not good elsewhere and certainly lacking the village feel. Pop over the border to us here in Morgins and you can still easily ski the whole PdS while avoiding the busiest areas, which will also of course tend to have the worst snow, from sheer numbers of skiers if nothing else.

Zermatt is a good four hours by train from the airport, so falls at the first hurdle for the OP's stated requirements.
ski holidays
cardweg wrote:
@BobinCH, interesting thought. Having just come back from Courchevel, I could do with a more cost effective option. But I will check it out.
I assume the train leaves from under the airport. What’s the inward transfer like at the other end? Where is the station in relation to the village, is it a short walk, long walk, taxi etc?
Thanks,
CW

I'll jump in on this.

The train runs through to Le Châble with a change in Geneva Cornavin station and at Martigny. From Le Châble there's a cable car up to Verbier (depending on what time you get there) or there's also busses and taxis up to Verbier.

Screenshot-2023-01-31-at-16-21-10
ski holidays
@alexsas, not at all, and I wasn't meaning to single you out!

I agree as far as Flaine not really meeting the snowy Alpine village definition regardless of how much snow has just fallen, due to its ugly architecture. When you say "grey" in resort, are you just talking about the colour of the buildings? I think there is a reasonable chance of snow-covered trees and buildings at that altitude (1600m) in late March.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@cardweg, From GVA, we used to regularly do Morzine for Easter weekend, OK you get mid-late season snow but sometimes that surprises.

Chamonix super easy to get to but maybe not optimal for a 2 week skier, although that is somewhat conditional on how much skiing is expected to be done.

I.e. Le Tour is mostly very blue-ish. Brev-Fleg are south facing so, well, if it's mild, crucnhy early slushy later. Les Grands, depends on how the 22 y.o. is getting on.

I rather like the Les Contamines idea, it's a bit higher, than most of the lower areas and holds the snow better. Accom wise, maybe better staying in St Gervais and driving up?

But equally as mentioned we've done many Easters in Morzine and around the Grand Massif, no worries.
ski holidays
The whole set up in Les Contamines is mostly un-intimidating and it's not usually busy. The Veleray sector doesn't hold its snow so well (wrong aspect) but probably wouldn't be your top choice anyway, it's all pretty steep. I've scarcely ever been in the village as we used to access the area from the Hauteluce side (which doesn't hold its snow that well either). But I imagine there are some reasonable accommodation options there, especially at the end of March.
ski holidays
Rarely gets a mention from folk on here , Les diablerets. Certainly fits criteria for an easy drive out of Geneva. Picturesque village, accommodation various (not cripplingly expensive)
Skiing up on glacier 3000, this is the weak bit of the formula. It's bus or drive up in the car, latter would take 6- 8 mins max. Free parking on col du pillon then the giant cable car up to the glacier.
Conditions at that time of the season will be fantastic. Seriously....... don't dismiss without a little consideration.
latest report
Interesting coincidence as there's a new thread asking about Villars - does sound promising. But you'd not need to go up to the glacier, presumably?
snow report
pam w wrote:
The whole set up in Les Contamines is mostly un-intimidating and it's not usually busy. The Veleray sector doesn't hold its snow so well (wrong aspect) but probably wouldn't be your top choice anyway, it's all pretty steep. I've scarcely ever been in the village as we used to access the area from the Hauteluce side (which doesn't hold its snow that well either). But I imagine there are some reasonable accommodation options there, especially at the end of March.

I have also skied in les Contamines, but probably 20 years ago now. That's a good shout on lots of fronts and I'll look further into it. As I recall it has been used for UK military winter training in the past too, because of a microclimate that keeps snow.

Thanks again.
snow report
Thanks @Rogerdodger, will have a look at les Diablerets. I've only ever skied in Switzerland via Avoriaz so my knowledge is virtually non existent. And since we will have a car, I'm prepared to consider a short drive to the cablecar.
CW Happy
snow report
Thanks for the reassurance @under a new name. I suppose it's all about the luck of the snow gods, but we'll have a car and can be flexible to a degree. I have heard second hand reports (from a friend in les Gets) of up to three hour lift queues in Avoriaz a couple of weeks ago before the big snowfall & wouldn't want to face that in march if the whole PDS was heading there for snow cover!
snow conditions
Thanks @Layne, good call. snowHead
ski holidays
Thanks for the input @denfinella. I've only skied a day in Flaine, coming up the big bubble from Samoens. It's looking like a strong contender and we'll just have to do without the pretty village element.
CW snowHead
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Yes, Chamonix is an exciting place at any time of year. Brevent/Flegere might be a bit intimidating if daughter only skied once, 7 years ago. But plenty of lesson options available.

Unless I've missed it there's no mention of gender by the OP. S/he refers only to "the child" and "their" previous ski trip....
ski holidays
Bergmeister wrote:
pam w wrote:

Unless I've missed it there's no mention of gender by the OP. S/he refers only to "the child" and "their" previous ski trip....

wink
ski holidays
I’d second Verbier, transfer by train from inside the airport (change at Martigny for Le Châble, where you walk 50m from the train to the télépherique up to central Verbier) CHF 104 return /person, using Saver Day Pass. 3 to 3-1/2 hours. Lots of feedback this year underlining how important it is to cost out all the trip components first, before booking, given the sometimes high cost of car rental or accommodation compared to previous years to the same destination. If there’s poor snow on the upper reaches of Verbier then a lot of other lower resorts are going to be pretty bad. Have a look through the archives to see about recent recommendations for Verbier on a budget and minimising any cost premium. Arguably yes, CH is expensive for instruction, but with research and a bit of awareness, you can do the 4 Vallées on a budget.

Addendum: I just noticed you imply you’ve already booked a car at GVA? If it’s cancellable, then I’d still check the SBB timetable to see if you can cancel it if the train is cheaper and viable. Set from: ‘Genève-Aéroport’ / to: ‘Verbier (télécabine)’ and your date and time.

A common recommendation for cost saving is to stay at the base of the Le Châble-Verbier gondola in Le Châble village. The lift is a public transport connection, so opens early and closes late. This also allows you to get a later train out of GVA to arrive in Le Châble after the lift closes. Personally, I find it much more relaxing using the train on the return leg as I’m usually the driver and this avoids having to find somewhere to refuel and the whole drop-off circus and worry about scratch charges.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy