Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Annoying Lift Queues In Plagne Centre

Poster: A snowHead
JDL65 wrote:
It's also bleedin flat (guess that why low intermediates adore it!!!) Laughing

That's a bit of a myth based on the pistes immediately above the villages - but there are plenty of challenging pistes and good off piste if you explore fully.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
red 27 wrote:
Local experts may have more facts, but as a regular visitor for the last 10 years I can't think of too many lift system improvements on the LP side.

8-banger Arpette upgrade was very welcome... What else?

Arpette was 2005 and since then significant lift upgrades have been:
Plan Bois (2006)
La Roche (2006)
Bergerie (2009)
Mélèzes (2009)
Verdons Sud (2011)
Bécoin (2012)
Traversée (2012)
Bauches (2013)
Colosses (2014)
Dou du Praz (2014)
Montalbert (2015)
Envers (2016)
Crozats (2017)
Ecureuils (2017)
Inversens (2018)
Lovatière (2021)
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Does all that equate to more skiers? Logically yes, but is that what overall industry stats suggest? Les Saisies has lots of new high end apartment blocks, and significant investment in lifts and tidying up circulation round the resort and 3 new pistes in a completely new sector (Bellasta), but that was some years ago now and the building boom shows no signs of slowing down. It doesn't seem, anecdotally, that more Brits are skiing, so where are all these new bums on chairlift seats or in resort beds coming from?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
This was published in 2012

https://www.seelaplagne.com/please-select/la-plagne-is-the-biggest-ski-resort-in-the-world
Quote:
Recent figures have revealed that La Plagne is the biggest ski resort in the world. With 2.5 million ski lift passes bought in a season and 53,509 beds available in resort

Struggling to find any recent stats - figures above still shown in some places.

Also would be good to know occupancy rates - must be stats out there somewhere.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Layne, Lots here if you dig around, there is more in the French section than the English.
https://www.presse-laplagne.com/en/key-information/
Also PersoPlagne has a wealth of La Plagne info.

This seasons forecasts for occupancy from the tourist Office at Montalbert, apparently it is similar across most of the la Plagne areas.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 1-02-23 15:18; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@pam w, Does all that equate to more skiers? Logically yes, but is that what overall industry stats suggest? Les Saisies has lots of new high end apartment blocks, and significant investment in lifts and tidying up circulation round the resort and 3 new pistes in a completely new sector (Bellasta), but that was some years ago now and the building boom shows no signs of slowing down. It doesn't seem, anecdotally, that more Brits are skiing, so where are all these new bums on chairlift seats or in resort beds coming from?

We've just come back from a week in L2A where there was a music festival all week aimed at Hungarians and apparently there is another in a few weeks for I think the Romanian market. There were very few Brits in resort and I think we only shared about 3 chairlifts with other Brits all week. Hungarian/Italian/French/Dutch/Belgian were much more prevalent.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The issue with La Plagne lifts is that in many places there is no alternative. If any of Arpette, Colosses, Bergerie, Roche, Montalbert, etc etc have a problem then queues can very quickly build up, to 30 minutes or more
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The bottle necks in La Plagne in peak weeks are the worst I've seen anywhere, skiing down to Bellecote literally 1000's of people queueing to escape. Saying that the speed of lifts and capacity means it never really too long you have to wait- 20mins max maybe?

The issue La Plagne and Les Arcs(and probably all large resorts) have is the amount of dead/dormant beds in the resort, privately owned and not rented out. New hotels, developments are needed to up capacity but at the same time when everyone shows up to stay in their apartment for new year/Feb there are just too many people for the infrastructure.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
alasdair.graham wrote:
New hotels, developments are needed to up capacity but at the same time when everyone shows up to stay in their apartment for new year/Feb there are just too many people for the infrastructure.

This is where the 'Cartel' areas like the Arlberg, Ischgl and the Dolomites do better - they keep development under their control
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

This is where the 'Cartel' areas like the Arlberg, Ischgl and the Dolomites do better - they keep development under their control

Don't know about the Arlberg (but we've all heard about the high price of ski rentals and the difficulties of opening a new ski school) but in what sense is the Dolomites a "cartel"? I was quite surprised - and unimpressed - by the lift queues around the Sella Ronda when I did the birthday bash - far bigger than I was used to in low season - though off that circuit things were much quieter.
New
The problem of "empty" apartments during the quiet parts of the ski season - and much of the rest of the year too - is common in a lot of French ski resorts, for sure. New Year and the February holidays can get horribly busy - I can never understand why the price of ski lifts doesn't shoot up during those weeks, when there is such high demand.

But I don't like the idea of paying to be able to jump lift queues - it's not very British, is it?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
patrick! wrote:
...and of course Paradiski lets you pay not to have to queue with the plebs.

I've only skied Les Arc in low season and never noticed the Express Lanes as the queues were always minimal...

But I'm heading back with the family over Feb half-term and I'm trying to work out if paying the extra for the full Paradiski pass is worth it just for access to these lanes (even if we just stay in Les Arc and don't venture across to LP, except perhaps for a one day "end-to-end" challenge)

Son doesn't particularly want ski lessons as he says that he gets bored with the waiting around (waiting for him?!) and he'd rather be bricking it on a black. Kind of fortunate as most of the ski schools already seem fully booked (bad omen for how busy it'll be!) Younger daughter is less confident, but I figure the boy's got a point - especially if my wife and I are willing to alternate our personal ski time for parent-daughter time to (try to) teach her all our bad habits!

So are the Express Lanes really "express", or do both the express and normal queues equally back up? Worth buying the full area pass using money not spent on lessons? Thoughts / advice?

TIA

Edit: Sorry - just seen that this is a Plagne thread, but I hope there are some folk on here with previous experience of half-term crowds...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@dcw1, it definitely helps but bear in mind that they are single lane entrances through to the lift pass barrier, like a ski school lane. So if there are 4 of you, you will have regroup once through lift pass barrier. Which of course won't be easy - unless you do what some groups do and leave empty spaces on chairs so that you can all sit together. Which, by the nature of it being busy, is quite annoying. It doesn't bother us anymore because our kids are older and we want to speed up the process of getting up the mountain.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks @Layne. Having not seen it in operation, I hadn't thought about the practicalities: so does the express lane just take you as far as the pass scanner, or is it all the way to the regulated lane barrier immediately before getting on the actual lift? I suspect the former? In which case, we'll mostly be skiing in pairs, so can hopefully jostle across a bit if it's just through the scanner... (No-one likes empty seats!)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@dcw1, the former.

And the placement of the lanes varies - Derby is in the middle, sometimes they are on the left, sometimes the right.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Brilliant, thanks
snow report
Surely people filing in singly and jumping the queue are not allowed to faff around being next to all their nearest and dearest before getting on the lift? Shocked I assumed it would be like a "singles line" with a specific objective of ensuring all chairs go up full.
ski holidays
@pam w, it only gets you to the pre loading area.

As you know the pre loading area immediately before the flip open gates is unregulated and have no lanes as such. Hence you have everyone trying to sort themselves out so that can get on the lift with the people they are skiing with. And if that means leaving a chair go half empty or even fully empty in some cases, then so be it.

The only way it could be bettered I think is by having a liftie directing people and coercing people to fill gaps. Or for people to be sensible and abandon riding the lift with their chums.

TBH, 90% of the time it's not a huge issue but certain lifts at certain times...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy