Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne. Christmas or Easter? And which car to take?!

Poster: A snowHead
patrick! wrote:
I love skiing in La Plagne, but wouldn't stay there - especially for Christmas. In fact we also rule out Val Tho on the same grounds. It obviously depends on what you're after (parties, quiet village, just skiing?) but for a family xmas Tignes was a better balance for us last time. With friends, because we still love Paradiski after all, I'd vote for a stay in Les Arcs (Peisey Vallandry) and hop to La Plagne for a day or two.

We are after wide, cruisey blues as my husband had his confidence knocked at Christmas, coming down some steep blue sections in Austria. The next trip needs to be a confidence building one.
Around a 10 hour drive from Calais
Slope side accommodation. Doesn't need to be ski in, ski out, but a 2 minute walk to the lift and ski schools, maximum.
Good sized ski area.
Excellent ski schools with a maximum of 10 to a class.

We're a family of 4. Children are currently 11 and 9. We want a holiday where we can have fun skiing, especially with the children.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Owlette wrote:
patrick! wrote:
I love skiing in La Plagne, but wouldn't stay there - especially for Christmas. In fact we also rule out Val Tho on the same grounds. It obviously depends on what you're after (parties, quiet village, just skiing?) but for a family xmas Tignes was a better balance for us last time. With friends, because we still love Paradiski after all, I'd vote for a stay in Les Arcs (Peisey Vallandry) and hop to La Plagne for a day or two.

We are after wide, cruisey blues as my husband had his confidence knocked at Christmas, coming down some steep blue sections in Austria. The next trip needs to be a confidence building one.
Around a 10 hour drive from Calais
Slope side accommodation. Doesn't need to be ski in, ski out, but a 2 minute walk to the lift and ski schools, maximum.
Good sized ski area.
Excellent ski schools with a maximum of 10 to a class.

We're a family of 4. Children are currently 11 and 9. We want a holiday where we can have fun skiing, especially with the children.

Stay at Arc 1800 then. Use airbnb to find one of many apartments on the snowface. They are very good value. £600ish a week but last time I found one for £350.

Arc 1800 has the Mille8 area which is perfect for a confidence boosting run before heading up the mountain higher. Its a great little slope for practicing turns and even has a few snowpark style obstacles and tiny jumps to use if you are so inclined. You can walk to the lift in 2 minutes from the apartments.

Then once you've had a practice. Go up Transarc 1 to the first stop and ski across the mountain on the "Plan Bois" blue run to the bottom of the Derby chairlift. Go up this and ski down the "Renard" blue run towards Peisey/Vallandry and stop at the little restaurant called Les Enfant Terribles. Its a great pit stop to rest the legs and grab a crepe.

Now ski down through the "Foret Pitchouns" a fun little practice area with obstacles until you reach the "Maitaz" blue run and head along this all the way back to Arc 1800. If youre lucky youll spot the Milka Cow skiing on this and catch him for the kids to get a chocolate. When you get to Arc 1800 you can either ski down the steepish finish back to the Transarc which can get icy in the afternoon. But if you are still wanting to keep it comfortable. Hang a left and ski behind the L'Aiguille Grive Chalets Hotel before you get to the final 100m of the piste. You sneakily miss out the steeper section if needed by skiing behind the hotel on the track.

Next up head up The Transarc to the Col De La Chal. Ski down "Plan Vert" Blue run and then "L'arc 1" Blue run. Nice easy blues that end near the Igloo. Stop for a drink and a break and base yourself here. You can now access all the blue runs in the Arc 1950/2000 bowl before heading back to Arc 1800 up Boir de Lours and skiing along the "Charmettoger" blue run at the end of the day. FInishing in La Folie Douce for a boogy.

Whole day of blues, none are scary and I've taught my other half to ski from scratch on these runs.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just got back from La Plagne and I would deffo say it’s a great shout for a later season. We stayed in Belle Plagne which is around 2000. Always great slopes back and quick to get to Les Arcs but not as low as Les Coches. I would highly recommend as a location. Not ‘cute’ but great for access/skiing and a big underground carpark for all the apartment blocks.

Only advice is try to get a quality apartment, we stayed in the Licorne (Oydalys) and it was a bit crap. But then as I get older I want something nicer. With a car you can bring your own sheets/pillows etc which makes a difference.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Does the Evoque have all season
tyres anyway? Which with socks or chains as back up should be fine for an Easter trip? My disco was great the last week in March and into April. We stayed a bit lower (but v easy to reach high altitude skiing) and even with decent snowfall during the week we didn’t need to use the socks at all.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

It doesn't make any sense to buy a car like that then not use it a situation for which it's well suited.

Surely a Landrover Evoque is unsuitable for a journey through France to the Alps. Of the 1300 km from my home to to Les Arcs only 20km are not on dual carriageway. None of it is off road or even on rough tracks. A large off road vehicle is more suited to taking children to school in the UK than driving to La Plagne.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
where does the comparative advantage of an Evoque lie?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Definitely easter if having to make only 1 choice.

The choice of car is somewhat irrelevant this far in advance unless you were going to buy tyres/chains now. Ultimately choose comfort and ability to fit over style/cost, unless cost is something you'd like to save on.

Would also consider a career change so you can take additional trips out of school holiday times. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
patrick! wrote:
I love skiing in La Plagne, but wouldn't stay there - especially for Christmas. In fact we also rule out Val Tho on the same grounds. It obviously depends on what you're after (parties, quiet village, just skiing?) but for a family xmas Tignes was a better balance for us last time.

Curious what grounds that you're ruling out La Plagne and Val Thorens but that doesn't rule out Tignes.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lucywuk wrote:

Only advice is try to get a quality apartment, we stayed in the Licorne (Oydalys) and it was a bit crap. But then as I get older I want something nicer. With a car you can bring your own sheets/pillows etc which makes a difference.

Ah.. that's a bit ominous! We've booked Licorne for Easter. What was the issue - was it the actual apartment or the building?

We booked through Airbnb so have seen lots of photos and the apartment looks really nice.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Handy Turnip wrote:
patrick! wrote:
I love skiing in La Plagne, but wouldn't stay there - especially for Christmas. In fact we also rule out Val Tho on the same grounds. It obviously depends on what you're after (parties, quiet village, just skiing?) but for a family xmas Tignes was a better balance for us last time.

Curious what grounds that you're ruling out La Plagne and Val Thorens but that doesn't rule out Tignes.
Maybe it's personal choice, but I've only ever skied through La Plagne and felt it looked like a 70s development gone wrong. Unlike Les Arcs 1800 and 1600 for some reason, which have that 60s nostalgia about them? I probably got this completely wrong though !

We stayed in ValTho and I hated the layout and having to be in what felt like a shopping centre, up escalators etc.

In Tignes we stayed usually either in Val Claret front de neige so no complaint for me, or in the Charteux area, which required using the (free) shuttle but had its charms. Overall we enjoyed it!

As I said skiing wise La Plagne is amazing - especially for confidence building. But since you can access it from Les Arcs...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Handy Turnip wrote:
Lucywuk wrote:

Ah.. that's a bit ominous! We've booked Licorne for Easter. What was the issue - was it the actual apartment or the building?

We booked through Airbnb so have seen lots of photos and the apartment looks really nice.

Probably the apartment. If you are driving down then you can bring sheets/pillows and home comforts. The issue was that we collected keys at the agencie tourism who then didn’t tell us 1) the electric is turned off and we need to turn it on (apparently normal in French apartments and we should have known) 2) the lift for the building if you enter at the front, is not the lift the private apartments can use. And we should have known to use the un-named lift or to walk up via the car park (although we had no car). 3) lack of Wi-Fi. You can hire a dongle there and they claim 5gb a day. It’s really really not.

The location is perfect, just make sure you know exactly how to get into the apartment.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@patrick, makes sense - and as you say everyone has a personal preference.

patrick! wrote:

We stayed in ValTho and I hated the layout and having to be in what felt like a shopping centre, up escalators etc.

It does beg the (tongue in cheek) question, why did you stay in a shopping centre? Laughing

I think VT (as with many resorts), needs a bit of local knowledge over the best places to stay. On my last 5 visits I didn't use a single escalator or go through a shopping centre.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'd still recommend ValTho for xmas because of, well, snow!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lucywuk wrote:
Handy Turnip wrote:
Lucywuk wrote:

Probably the apartment. If you are driving down then you can bring sheets/pillows and home comforts. The issue was that we collected keys at the agencie tourism who then didn’t tell us 1) the electric is turned off and we need to turn it on (apparently normal in French apartments and we should have known) 2) the lift for the building if you enter at the front, is not the lift the private apartments can use. And we should have known to use the un-named lift or to walk up via the car park (although we had no car). 3) lack of Wi-Fi. You can hire a dongle there and they claim 5gb a day. It’s really really not.

The location is perfect, just make sure you know exactly how to get into the apartment.

Thanks @Lucywuk, good to know - I've stayed in France many times and never know the electricity to be off.

So where is the un-named lift? Bit bizarre!

Our apartment has WiFi apparently but I also take a WiFi dongle with me just in case.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Handy Turnip wrote:
Lucywuk wrote:

Only time I have stayed in Odalys is when I had to do a last minute switch and go high (Tignes) and so couldn't pick and choose. Check in was a nightmare (us, Dutch and French families all getting very irate), then when we got in the apartment it was dirty (think a plate with half eaten croissant, Dutch family went out to buy disposable plates and cutlery rather than use the ones in the apartment. Apartment was OK but tired. I usually book privates (either direct or via immo) and never had problems like I did with Odalys. But I suspect they do vary and I've heard others say they are fine.
ski holidays
Handy Turnip wrote:
Thanks @Lucywuk, good to know - I've stayed in France many times and never know the electricity to be off.

Also many times and whilst I have known the leccy to be off I would say more often it's on. But I guess once you've been in one apartment with it off, you know to check if no lights work!

Handy Turnip wrote:
Our apartment has WiFi apparently but I also take a WiFi dongle with me just in case.

IME WIFI is iffy in a lot of cases - usually because it's not cable but using the phone network with the limitations that entails.
snow report
Layne wrote:
Handy Turnip wrote:

Also many times and whilst I have known the leccy to be off I would say more often it's on. But I guess once you've been in one apartment with it off, you know to check if no lights work!

Handy Turnip wrote:

IME WIFI is iffy in a lot of cases - usually because it's not cable but using the phone network with the limitations that entails.

It was most bizarre with the electric. I looked in all the drawers to find an instruction book and nothing. I opened the fuze box and checked they were ok. So when we went back to the agency office, they said ‘that’s normal, you open a box and turn or flick a switch’. They refused to accept it was odd and there was nothing to indicate what we did. (It was the fuze box and a different switch at 6’ high on the wall!! V obvious)

If you are driving it’s fine as there is a lift to the ‘private’ area of the building from the car park. Or an unamed lift off the piste. If you go in the main entrance (odelys) reception the lift needs a code that they will refuse to tell you. Again the agency said ‘you don’t need a code’. We forced them to come to the apartment and show us the way and electricity, as there was no instructions.
ski holidays
Quote:

The immobiliers we let our apartment through instructs us to switch the electricty off when the apartment is vacant. This has been the case in every apartment I have rented myself as well. It has the advantage of switching the fridge off amongst other things. Our switch is in the power distribution box above the row of circuit breakers. It has a red button for off and a green one for on. Very similar to the main distribution point at home.
Quote:

I opened the fuze box and checked they were ok.

I thought the fuses would have been replaced by circuit breakers
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
where does the comparative advantage of an Evoque lie?

Good looks! Car choice is such a personal thing. About 18 months ago, I decided that I really fancied a Mini. I traded in my beautiful Grand Scenic and got one. I regretted it pretty much from that first day, though I really tried to love the Mini. On Saturday just gone, I picked up my new (to me) Scenic. Not the Grand this time, the 5 seater was just fine with me. I am thrilled to be back in my comfortable, practical car and in love with it already. Mr. O likes cars that look good (to his eye) and are comfortable to drive and be driven in.

The question wasn't about the space inside. We've driven to France twice in the Evoque (in spring and summer) and it was fine because 1. we try not to over pack and 2. I am a champion at Car Tetris. It was focused on the 4x4 aspect of the car. If I'd left the model out, the question would still have been the same. Only one person so far seems to think it's worth taking that car.

Skimum1 wrote:
Does the Evoque have all season tyres anyway? Which with socks or chains as back up should be fine for an Easter trip? My disco was great the last week in March and into April. We stayed a bit lower (but v easy to reach high altitude skiing) and even with decent snowfall during the week we didn’t need to use the socks at all.

No, it currently has summer tyres. However we've looked at the costs and it's only about £20 more per tyre to replace them with all season ones, so Mr. O plans to do that. He's only just replaced one, so that's annoying to replace so soon, but the others will need doing at some point this year anyway. Might as well put all season ones on.

My Scenic has 4 brand new tyres on it, done as part of the garages service, but I don't know if they are all season. I'd be open to putting all season ones on and storing these if necessary.
snow conditions
4 people take the bigger car. 2 people and the smaller would do. I’ve had a scenic and a grand scenic and the luggage space in the scenic, even being a Tetris master is not that great for 4 with ski kit
snow conditions
johnE wrote:
Quote:

The immobiliers we let our apartment through instructs us to switch the electricty off when the apartment is vacant. This has been the case in every apartment I have rented myself as well. It has the advantage of switching the fridge off amongst other things. Our switch is in the power distribution box above the row of circuit breakers. It has a red button for off and a green one for on. Very similar to the main distribution point at home.
Quote:

I opened the fuze box and checked they were ok.

I thought the fuses would have been replaced by circuit breakers

I may not know exactly what I was looking at. There was no light in a dim corridor and I couldn’t see red and green buttons. Might have had a circuit breaker but again I’m not an electrician.

I’d just never known this and no instructions. I was using the torch on my phone to see around
latest report
We always left the main electric switch ON in our apartment, so that the heaters could work on "hors gel", but checked that irrelevant circuit breakers were off. We borrowed an apartment next door, belonging to French friends, in October and their place (which is often rented out privately) had tape on the relevant switches and very clear instructions. We also put water off - clear instructions on that too, and on which key opened the cupboard with the water things in. I suspect that would be standard stuff in French apartments rented privately.

As a matter of interest, although we were on the ground floor I never knew the heaters to come on when switched to "hors gel". We would arrive sometimes in the perishing cold at midnight and they'd all be off. The building was well insulated, I guess. And we carpeted the main area (very unFrench) which helped.
snow report
Not too much to add, on our trips the snow cover at both ends of the season have been around the same. Sitting on a terrace in the sun can be nice but Christmas with snow and lights can also be good.
One thing may not be a factor is the bobsleigh may be open at Christmas time but not at Easter.
latest report
I suggest you take the Renault at Easter.

After going for a trial run in the Evoque at Christmas.
snow report
Macker13 wrote:
Owlette wrote:
Okay wise Snowheads, please help settle this for us.

We've (I've) decided on La Plagne for our next trip.

I want to go Easter 2024. My reasons are: better driving conditions and longer days. We went to Austria for Christmas this year and the memory of not ideal conditions is still fresh (very icy on the open pistes, some closed due to lack of coverage).

Mr. O wants to go Christmas 2023. Because 'Easter is ages away', and he loved being away at Christmas.

So there's that debate. We've never been to La Plagne, or skied in France, though we go every summer, so are familiar with driving there.

The other debate is the car. We've no strong feelings on this, we just need to pick the best car for the trip. He has a Range Rover Evoque. So it has 4x4 capabilities. But isn't great on the fuel. I own a Renault Scenic. No 4x4, but fantastic MPG, and smaller tyres so winter tyres will be cheaper than for the Evoque. Both very comfortable drives and have previously done summer trips to France in both, so we've no preference really.

Cast your votes please and with reasons if you don't mind.

I'd take the Scenic and go to Les Arcs 1800 or 1950 as it's higher up and can still get the liftpass to access La Plagne. Also think about getting the train as its easy and can get funicular for 7 minutes into Les Arcs

I've got him on-board with an Easter trip for this year!!!

Considering Les Arcs. Staying in Arc 1800, but parking in BSM and getting the funicular and bus up.

Would be from the 1st to the 8th of April. How's Les Arcs looking at the moment?
snow conditions
@Owlette,
Quote:

I've got him on-board with an Easter trip for this year!!!

Well done!
Don't forget to get a one day extension to La Plagne so you can see what you are missing Very Happy snowHead
latest report
@Owlette, well done, Les Arc is a fantastic choice. 1800 is a little low for me personally, but there'll be lots of perfectly good higher slopes, even if it's a bit softer on the runs back home.

It's all down to personal preference, I just prefer to stay higher than 1900 at Easter.
ski holidays
Quote:

Christmas with snow and lights can also be good

On the whole I'd say that snow is at least as good at Easter as it is at Christmas. And most resorts leave the lights up all season. The thing I most like about Christmas in the Alps is that it's not Christmas in the UK.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Macker13 wrote:

Stay at Arc 1800 then. Use airbnb to find one of many apartments on the snowface. They are very good value. £600ish a week but last time I found one for £350.

Arc 1800 has the Mille8 area which is perfect for a confidence boosting run before heading up the mountain higher. Its a great little slope for practicing turns and even has a few snowpark style obstacles and tiny jumps to use if you are so inclined. You can walk to the lift in 2 minutes from the apartments.

Then once you've had a practice. Go up Transarc 1 to the first stop and ski across the mountain on the "Plan Bois" blue run to the bottom of the Derby chairlift. Go up this and ski down the "Renard" blue run towards Peisey/Vallandry and stop at the little restaurant called Les Enfant Terribles. Its a great pit stop to rest the legs and grab a crepe.

Now ski down through the "Foret Pitchouns" a fun little practice area with obstacles until you reach the "Maitaz" blue run and head along this all the way back to Arc 1800. If youre lucky youll spot the Milka Cow skiing on this and catch him for the kids to get a chocolate. When you get to Arc 1800 you can either ski down the steepish finish back to the Transarc which can get icy in the afternoon. But if you are still wanting to keep it comfortable. Hang a left and ski behind the L'Aiguille Grive Chalets Hotel before you get to the final 100m of the piste. You sneakily miss out the steeper section if needed by skiing behind the hotel on the track.

Next up head up The Transarc to the Col De La Chal. Ski down "Plan Vert" Blue run and then "L'arc 1" Blue run. Nice easy blues that end near the Igloo. Stop for a drink and a break and base yourself here. You can now access all the blue runs in the Arc 1950/2000 bowl before heading back to Arc 1800 up Boir de Lours and skiing along the "Charmettoger" blue run at the end of the day. FInishing in La Folie Douce for a boogy.

Whole day of blues, none are scary and I've taught my other half to ski from scratch on these runs.

Sitting here nursing a cup of tea as I was up until 3am booking everything last night and I'm working today.

Arc 1800 all booked. Found a 2 bed apartment in Residence Ruitor for £368 for the week, which is in Charmettoger, so ideal for that final run you mentioned.

Thank you for this amazing post. Mr. O asked if there were any pictures of the runs, so he coukd see for himself that they were non-scary. That's a tricky ask, so I showed him your comment. After he read it, he said 'sounds excellent, let's book it'.

His card was smoking last night as I booked accommodation, passes, hire and Chunnel. Just waiting on ski school to get back to me as payment failed on their website despite trying two different cards, so we think there's a problem their end. I've emailed them to see if they'll reserve our spaces and we'll pay when we get there.
snow conditions
here is my video of us skiing and you'll see a lot of Les Arcs:
http://youtube.com/v/7hpSLiJsIpk

If you search youtube for:

Les Arcs Renard
Les Arcs Col De La Chal
Les Arcs Mille 8

You will find lots of videos of various runs people have done and get a feel for the pistes
snow report
Great video! Thanks so much! What was the bumpy run at minute 5?! That looks fun!
snow report
Folks booking French-owned apartments direct from owners might need to be aware that it is NOT automatic to provide linen and towels (let alone to have beds made up for you on arrival). French resorts always have linen available to rent, but it needs to be thought about. We booked a house to rent for French friends coming to stay in the UK and they were thrilled to find linen and towels would be provided, and absolutely delighted to find beds all made up for them!
ski holidays
What a surprisingly difficult question to answer.

The one time we went at Christmas, was to Arc 1950. We had a great time, but the snow cover wasn't great, with rocks coming through and it was pretty icy.

I have never been at Easter - but mid to late March. The snow cover was fine, but typical Spring conditions and with heavy slushy snow on lower slopes in the afternoon. I also experienced rain.

For me, the positives and negatives cancel each other out - so would go with the best deal. If I knew there would be decent snow, I'd take Christmas (but that is impossible to know if not booking at the last minute).

Personally, I would go to Tignes on either of those two dates and would take Les Arcs over La Plagne.
snow report
Owlette wrote:
Great video! Thanks so much! What was the bumpy run at minute 5?! That looks fun!

That’s the skicross track accessed at top of col de La Chal, via Transarc 2
snow report
pam w wrote:
Folks booking French-owned apartments direct from owners might need to be aware that it is NOT automatic to provide linen and towels (let alone to have beds made up for you on arrival). French resorts always have linen available to rent, but it needs to be thought about. We booked a house to rent for French friends coming to stay in the UK and they were thrilled to find linen and towels would be provided, and absolutely delighted to find beds all made up for them!

It's said in our booking that linen isn't provided but we can have it at an extra cost. Nowhere to book it online (booked via VRBO) so I'm assuming there's a reception at the accommodation that we can book it from. However, we've decided to take our own as MiniOwl2 has a Cabin Max case that he no longer uses for holidays, but will fit our linen in beautifully, and it slots onto the top of my case if needed to transport it.

I assume the bare duvets and pillows are provided? May need to rethink the linen plan if not!!
snow conditions
Quote:

I assume the bare duvets and pillows are provided?

Yes, they will be, but probably nasty plastic ones. And the pillows likely to be the square French type. If you're driving, it's as easy to take your own linen as work out how to rent it, and stuff the pillows in the pillow cases somehow! If I'm driving somewhere I always take a nice feather and down pillow (Princess and the Pea, me.....).

When we rented linen in one place we picked it up from a laundry place in town and had to deliver it back there on the final Saturday, which complicated the inevitable scramble of departure. For our gites in April I've ticked the "linen" box and the "end of stay cleaning".
snow report
Thanks, that's helpful.

We like to take our own pillows if driving. Nothing quite like your own. Only reason we weren't considering it this year is we were thinking of parking in B-St-M and getting the funicular up. Thus not having to deal with potentially snowy or icy roads. So we were going to pack light for the trip up from Bourg. As it's a short trip though and not navigating the airport etc, I may take them in an Ikea blue bag.

We did a week in Austria (flying) and we took 4 carry on cases (one each), and I just had my helmet in it's drawstring bag on my shoulder as I have a hardshell case, so it won't fit (the rest of the family have soft case so no problems there), so I'm good at packing light. Got my ski boots in that case too!
latest report
We always take our own linen and towels.

Don't take pillows.

Sometimes they don't have duvets but wool blankets. We just put them in the duvet cover we brought along.

Always knackered and sleep well after a days skiing and evenings eating and drinking.
latest report
Just wanted to update this thread and thank everyone for the fabulous advice, particularly @Macker13, for his amazing comment which pushed us to book here in 1800.

We arrived yesterday and had our first day of skiing today. We're in Ruitor and kids are at Evolution2 so that's a bit of a hike in boots and with skis, but I learned today that I just need to leave my own skis by the escalator and collect them once I've walked them up there. They're pretty good at carrying their own stuff, but I can help if I have spare hands.

Dropping them off this morning and then heading back to get a cup of tea at a coffee shope in Villards, and wait for husband to meet me worked well for us all this

Nervous husband loved Mille8 in the morning, so thank you for that recommendation, but agreed the slush was hard work in the afternoon, so agreed to go up on a chair. We were going to do Plan Bois first as per your plan, but Boy9 was desperate to go on Vagare as he'd been with ski school that morning.

We took Vagare up and then followed the blue signs back to 1800 via Arpette.
It had some sections that husband initially was wary of as they were less 'cruisey' than the initial Arpette, but he got down them all controlled and comfortably. I think his confidence is being restored by the minute.

He was done after that, so he and Boy9 went for a pint and a play in the snow. Boy11 and I got Vagare back up and did Charmettoger blue leading to Reches red back down to 1800 twice. I've been a previously nervous red skier, but I found that one to be wonderful and well within my capabilities. Boy11 is better than me so if there's any other red recommendations based on liking that one, we'd love to check them out. We'll be heading mostly over to 1950 and 2000 in the afternoons because the snow us lovely up high, but hard work at 1800 later in the day.

Back in the apartment now. Boys are like zombies. Both have bright red faces. We've bought suncream, and three will not be leaving without it on tomorrow.

First day verdict is that we love Les Arcs!
latest report
Glad you are having a great time in Les Arcs. Just made my video of our stay, sat at home first day back and want to return to Arc 1800!!

My vid here:
http://youtube.com/v/2_krqVXzY7I
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy