Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where would you go with children for the first week of Easter?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, it's my first post here, hope this is the right board! I'm in Nendaz with my family and after being slightly apprehensive about family ski trips and whether I liked skiing enough to make it worthwhile, everyone now has the bug and this has been an amazing trip. We have another week of leave booked for the end of march and I feel like we should capitalise on the fact that the kids are doing really well and try to go again...but it's a big chunk of budget for us and I'd appreciate some thought on whether I'm being realistic.

There are lots of things that have made this such a great trip that I would want to recreate if possible:

Driving (so much better than managing the kids in the airport and coach transfers). This took us about 10 hours from Calais with stops and that was a good distance.

Quieter family resort - there are millions of kids here, people are kind and considerate with them on the lifts and the slopes (mostly!), no huffing or eye rolling as they fall off the button for the millionth time

Self catering

Easy mountain food and drink options

Ski locker at the bottom of the lift.

We booked with a small company this time rather than DIY and it has been amazing in terms of stress reduction - we will definitely book again with them next February if we come back to Switzerland, but the only other resort they have for March is Zermatt and I was hoping for somewhere smaller again.

I'd really appreciate any thoughts. Our 8 year old did his first black today (and it's a shocker!!), guided down by our lovely resort rep, and he is buzzing and asking when we are going again.....

Thanks everyone!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome.

1. La Rosière
2. La Thuile
3. Les Arcs 1800
4. Le Corbier
5. Livigno
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't often say this (despite my bias) but I think Les Contamines ticks every box on your list very effectively.
The ski lockers are actually in a ski shop (available to rent) facing the lift but I could give you the details
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Persis,
Any reason you can't go back to Nendaz if it has worked this time?
I've been to Nendaz before at Easter and it's worked well.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
So many replies!! Thanks everyone!!!

Nendaz has been amazing....but it is quite small and although I would definitely (hopefully?) come back next year I'd like to try somewhere else as it's only a few weeks away.

I'll look at those other suggestions, thank you! I've never heard of les contamines before, lots to look at! Of course, before kids I had only been on a couple of trips to big resorts, I feel like these are all really well kept secrets!!!

Can I ask as well....one of the things I have loved here is having our rep to ski with us - is it possible just to hire someone in other resorts just to plan the route for the day and take the kids to the snow park? I expect it is usually expensive.....
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm a really anxious skier (am working hard on it!) and I get very panicked about getting lost, or getting myself somewhere where I have to ski something terrifying to get out, or being late for ski school pick up. Having Louis to take us around made the whole thing so relaxing!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Persis,
Sounds like being in a relatively small resort suits you. Val Cenis may work well though the drive will be further. St Foy gets good reviews though I've never been.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes the small resort has been great. It sounds ridiculous written down but my anxiety around skiing is what made me feel that it was all not worth it, but this time has been so easy.

Another thing though is the snow....it is lovely here but it is WARM and the snow is all from cannons - which isnt a problem but i suppose we are looking for a high up resort with snow cannons. Are there any of these more likely to have snow? I appreciate it can't be guaranteed!

Thanks again everyone!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Persis, By the end of March the effect of the sun is strong the actual air temp may not be much higher than it just now, as much as anything you need North facing slopes to avoid the strong sun though altitude helps. Val Cenis although not very high is pretty good on the North facing front. I believe Les Contamines and St Foy are as well.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Brilliant, I'll get hunting. So grateful to you all!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Val Cenis is a lovely family friendly resort and you can leave skis in a locker at bottom of Vieux Moulin lift if needed though some accommodation is almost ski in/out or Valmeinier and leave the skis in the hire shop at the end of the day
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Obergurgl or Obertauern would fit the bill.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you fix up a trip yourselves the only answer I can think of for your wish to have your own ski guide is to take a ski instructor for the day. Quite expensive. The other way would be for you all to be in (separate) group ski lessons. I don't know Nendaz, but I do know Les Contamines and I think that would work well for you, though you'd be well advised to download in the gondola at the end of the day, even if the ski pistes down are open.

Don't know Ste Foy, but that sounds highly suitable too, and there is a snowhead who teaches there, who might be able to help with the guide question.

Glad it's going so well!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Aletsch Arena
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Persis, welcome to SH's.

In regard of Les Contamines - went there when my kids where 5 & 7. Really like it but there are some steep drags not suitable for kids, the run down can be challenging (downloading not a problem though) and it's not quite ski in ski out and may required a navette to get to the lift.

Driving, self catering, easy access to lifts does tend to suggest France but not exclusively so. Against that is the treatment of children. The impression I get on here is that Austria is better than France. Although to be clear we've exclusively skied in France since kids and I've never had any issues.

Not sure about the ski reps thing. I think you would only get that with a smaller company. I certainly get how that would take the stress out of things for you but may be difficult to replicate.

Other places to consider - La Norma, Valmeiner.

Going late March will be quieter than this time of year.
snow conditions
Ok, this is the definitive first week of April recommendation, researched over 20+ years.

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2124833&highlight=family#2124833
latest report
@jedster, @Layne, having more and more appreciated the virtues of Les Contamines since having a base in St Gervais ... I don't know quite how it would work for second time skiers.

It is great for the unpredictable end of season, and has some amazingly satisfying runs (I could do laps of Coins and Croix all day, and those are blues) but I don't know how the connectivity would work for relative beginners. There are very few runs for total beginners (thinking of the suggestion to the lady who had such a bad experience in Megeve). Some of the red runs are at the challenging end, even if an early intermediate is cautious about attempting blacks (to be fair, they are quick in closing off some of those).

But I guess if you were having lessons, the instructor would keep you on suitable routes.
snow report
This is all brilliant, thank you!

I had thought that about ski guides - friends have had them before for off piste and things, but it is of course expensive- and appropriately so as you have to pay people for their time!

I had wondered about some more ski lessons for me - I can ski down anything if I have to but my technique is pretty bad which makes it hard work and frightening. I guess if I had some lessons this would also give me some routes around the resort I was comfortable with. My husband is a great skier and doesn't share any of my anxiety, and I am delighted that my kids are so brave, but I am not....but I don't want to hold them all back so I will have to get braver and faster somehow.....

We have skied in France before with the kids- we went to Meribel which was full of families and everyone was fine....it just feels like Nendaz is full of Swiss families teaching their kids to ski so it's just a great, gentle vibe. Someone apologised to me on the slopes for turning too close to me today - I was absolutely charmed!

I will check out the other thread linked above too - such a lot to think about. I really am grateful for all of the replies!
snow report
Persis wrote:
My husband is a great skier and doesn't share any of my anxiety, and I am delighted that my kids are so brave, but I am not....but I don't want to hold them all back so I will have to get braver and faster somehow.

A friend of mine is a sports psychologist and a human behavioural something. When riding mounatin bikes and looking at spicey jumps and features, He always reminds me bravery is a personal thing. Your comfort levels are lower than the rest of your crew, you're probably braver than them pushing your boundaries harder and further.
Fill the bucket of skills in an environment you're comfortable in and the bucket of confidence will follow shortly after it.
latest report
We are currently in Val Cenis for half term and would definately recommend it as a family resort. Lots of gentle slopes for the kids (and not so gentle) with plenty to do off the mountain as well. Nice easy drive to resort too. It's all North facing so that will help with late season.
Our apartment has a locker with direct access to piste and is ski in / out. Kids (8 & 10) have loved it and will be sad to go home tomorrow. All this from a person who has always preferred going to Austria over France too.
snow report
Baron von chippy wrote:
Fill the bucket of skills in an environment you're comfortable in and the bucket of confidence will follow shortly after it.

I love this! Thank you!!
snow conditions
Val cenis is looking like a possible as we actually have some friends going there so my poor husband can have someone to ski fast with. It's quite late for accommodation and things so I'll see.

Can I ask about ski school? Is it only ESF? I had ESF lessons once as a child and basically didn't ski again for 20 years, vivid memories of being cold and miserable and being shouted at in French! That may have been an exception though.....
snow report
We've had such a great day today though - Louis took us to Vernier which was lush and I'm downloading back to get the kids. Perfect end to the week!
snow report
Verbier I mean!
snow report
@Persis, it's mainly ESF but they seemed quite OK for my kids who progressed from not skiing before last Sunday to confidentiality doing blue runs for last few days. One thing I would say is there is alot of kids in each class per teacher (but it is half term)
I think there is another ski school listed on website. Also seen alot of UCPA ski classes with kids.
We are all done now for half term skiing and thankfully all finished injury free.
snow report
@Persis,
Val Cenis has an ESI operating there as well as an ESF.
snow conditions
To be fair, @Persis, it wasn't the ski school's fault if you were cold.
ski holidays
Origen wrote:

I guess there are circumstances where it may have been in part the fault of the ski school/instructor.
eg Using lifts inappropriate in the weather conditions for a child, having over large classes so that too much of the time was spent standing still. Using colder areas when others were available.. Some times being cold is unavoidable on the slopes sometimes it is,
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What about Pila? I've only skied there for a day and loved it but I hear great things about it for families. Lots of people seen very happy with her personal service provided by Carole at https://www.pilaski.co.uk/
ski holidays
La Villa / Alta Badia, possibly Kronplatz in Italy. Great food, amazingly well kept snow even on warm days, very beautiful
ski holidays
Origen wrote:

Yes true, and I was a particularly nesh child. OK, I'll move on!!

Lots of kids per group could be fun, and great that your kids have done so well @daveqpr.

I will investigate. But also I have provisionally booked to come back to Nendaz next February with OTP - absolutely a dream holiday!
snow report
You guys have been just so helpful, this forum is a mine of information!!
snow report
Montgenevre is my favourite. The only thing it lacks is mountain restaurants but there are two decent ones. Other than that you can easily ski back to the main village for a greater choice of lunch options. The skiing is varied with plenty of good runs for beginners and intermediates. It is not the shortest drive but it is straightforward if you use the Frejus tunnel. The ski schools are good. It is family orientated with good self catering residences with pools.

We always book self drive through Peak Retreats who also offer places like Val Cenis which others have recommended. La Rosiere is also worth considering.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy