Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Data ski passes

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Some resorts give a refund on lift pass cards when you have finished with them, others don't.
I have a selection of lift passes from the resorts that don't refund the 2-5euro 'deposit'.
They are all of the brand 'ski data', with a long serial number starting with 01.... although the cards themselves have the logo of various ski resorts.
Are they rechargeable at different ski resorts - for example would a ski pass from Meribel (from the 2016 ski season) be rechargable in Flaine later this season?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes they are mostly reusable. Go to the online store of your chosen resort and it will tell you whether and which types of cards can be loaded with a ski pass for that resort.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've got dozens of such, which historically have never worked except at the issuing resort.

In Switzerland a while back you could get a free data card which was supposed to be usable everywhere. Except it wasn't. Not in Engleberg (although TBF their cards are instantly refundable at a machine at the lift station) nor in PdS, at least.

I've always felt it to be a bit of a scam, but I try and help our guests by lending them existing PdS cards that they can recharge and give back at the end of their stay. The 5 Francs/Euros is enough to be significant, but not enough for most people to bother trying to search them out and get them posted. Perhaps we should offer such a service here?

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 29-01-23 13:54; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@tele, almost always yes, as long as it's a proper "hard" keycard and the number is in the right format.

95% of reusable keycards in the Alps are issued by two companies: Skidata (most common) and Axxess (e.g. Portes du Soleil). They're not transferrable between the two systems but usually are between resorts under the same system.

There's a leaflet somewhere online that lists which systems all the French resorts use, but I can't find it now.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Chaletbeauroc, I got our Les Contamines issued Skidata cards to work in Zermatt.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Cool. TBF I've never really tried the free ones we got in many places, as when revisiting I've generally already had old cards to use, but the skidata vs. axxess systems seems to make some sense of it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I found the list covering (most) French resorts and added a few I already knew about. To summarise (mostly 2019/20 season data):

Axess: Les Arcs, Le Collet d'Allevard, Portes du Soleil, Praz de Lys, Ste-Foy
Alfi: Espace Diamant
DAG: Alpe du Grand Serre
Skidata: Almost all the rest

Chamrousse appears to accept both Axess and Skidata cards!

Beware, sometimes there are inconsistencies where some cards aren't accepted despite being from the same company. Here's an (edited) quote from my 2020 trip to resorts around Grenoble:

Quote:
Alpe d'Huez uses Skidata, but specifically prohibits keycards from neighbouring Chamrousse (warning message comes up saying Chamrousse cards not accepted). Our Les Orres cards were also rejected, yet neighbouring Risoul was accepted. All the above ski areas use Skidata.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
we recharged passes from Les Sybelles and Valmeiner for our holiday in Les Deux Alpes last week - was handy not having to go and pick up passes we just ordered online
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy