Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Tania (or Courchevel) ski rental places with Tyrolia Protector Bindings?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
All the ACL threads today have made me paranoid about my already dodgy knee for our forthcoming ski holiday. Does anybody know if any of the rental firms in La Tania (or the wider Courchevel valley for that matter) have bought any of the new and quite promising-sounding Tyrolia Protector bindings and would fit them to rental skis? If they work I can't help thinking this sort of design will rapidly become widespread...?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This type that's been around longer has similar deal as I understand it

http://youtube.com/v/jALkN3gDhgA

This a more high end kit in all likelihood, but worth understanding.

Preparation should help you in giving the hire shop accurate information too, not being overly ambitious in skill statement etc to allow their c9rrect setting.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks @ski3 - really helpful. Good point re skill statement... I'm really only intermediate at best... just paranoid about my knees after a month of pain and limited mobility following a non-skiing knee injury over Christmas. So it's motivated me to ask "if there are bindings that could reduce the risk of knee injury in certain types of falls, why *wouldn't* I ask for them?" Is it cost that has stopped designs such as the Pivot becoming more widespread? Inertia/apathy? A tradeoff that makes these designs *worse* along some other dimension?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Overall most likely to be cost in rental market stock that brings the plain choice to the shops.

Standard type bindings aren't in strong denial of the performance that's needed though, perhaps too easily demonising them is wrong.

The standard involved in DIN settings and the charts the retailers should use will bring very competent choice in setting the skis to boots that are needed, it is a good system but there MAY be offerings that push into diminishing return such as those above.

I wouldn't unduly worry IF that initial transaction is completed to target as a general outlook. I've been there when skiers definitely overstated their skill and use profile, not thinking that it's too important, but certainly it's one of the key elements.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@gendal, the Look Pivot has little if any effect on ACL injuries. It doesn't release laterally at the heel (which the Tyrolia Protector and Knee binding do), rather it will rotate slightly which helps with elasticity (and thus retention). Theoretically, the heel rotation might reduce the force on the knee in a slow backwards twisting fall (the type that is most risky) but practically the benefit is minimal if it exists at all. I'm not aware of any stats suggesting that the are fewer ACL injuries with pivots.

I'd be very surprised if rental shops used the Protector bindings. Aside from a very niche marketing benefit, there's not much reason for them to. The vast majority of skiers don't injure their knees, and even if they do it's not usually the shop's problem. The bindings are new and expensive, so would either need higher rental fees, or eat into profits. I doubt it's worth their while, just to avoid the occasional upset customer (and even more occasional legal fight).
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Fair points @mrgolf. I don't really consider myself a serious or good enough skier to justify buying my own skis, but sounds like it might be the simplest path forward if I want the reassurance of the Protector bindings. Like you say, knee injuries are relatively rare but I was shocked at how frustrating I found not being able to exercise for the three weeks when my knee was injured over December. So now I've discovered there is a product that could reduce the (admittedly already quite small) risk of an ACL injury and all that goes with it, it felt like a no brainer.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy