Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resorts on way from Bergamo to Madonna / Decathlon Rent?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Morn’in SHs
I am taking a group to Madonna Di Campiglio for a weekend (Thus -Sun) mid March. We land into BGY 10:45 -11:15, will grab cars and get off asap.

We will ski Madonna Fri & Sat and poss Passo Tonale/PdL on the Sunday en route back.

Q1 I’ve been looking at smaller resorts closer to BGY but on the way towards Madonna to maximise an ski time on the Thus afternoon. Sadly a few are not running this winter so my short list based on travel times and decent runs for c2.5hrs sking is Borno, Monte Pora and Maniva. We quite like this kind of exploratory warm up day but we’ve not been to any of these and I can’t see anything bar a sad avalanche report on here about Maniva - anyone been or got tips?

Q2 we can do a 1/2 day ski/board hire at all the en route places above but for those without own kit I’m tempted by using Decathlon Rent (v close to BGY airport) as then we’ll not need to faff around twice in hire shops (and some group members are nicknamed captain faff!) - anyone used decathlon rent before, or even the Bergamo one?

Happy to do trip report when we finally get there too if it’s useful for others
Kindest
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@dgschof, nice plan. Skiing between the main resort and the airport on arrival / departure day is underrated, as long as you can find a conveniently situated ski hire shop. I had a day in Borno (Monte Altissimo) in March 2018. Trip report here. Monte Pora and Passo Maniva look good too - planned to visit one of these on the way to Madonna di Campiglio myself in 2020 but but plans were disrupted by Covid.

Out of interest, which are the resorts that are closed this winter? Also, please do report back on the Decathlon rent if you use it!

P.S. Ponte de Legno passes are up to 25% cheaper if booked as far in advance as possible.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks @Denfinella
Totally agree - a bit of an adventure on the way out or back can really add to the holiday experience. we found some cracking little resorts, with quiet slopes and often cheap excellent food too. In fact a half day for me is a good first day to get the ski legs going rather than wreak them for the rest of the trip!
Great trip review for Borno - really helps us get a picture of the place. Also a very good tip about early booking of lift passes for PdLT on the way back as the discount is still pretty significant – I owe you a beer Happy
I think to maximise the simplicity and flexibility I'm going to try the decathlon rent in Bergamo and then we can head to Maniva, Borno or stop at Temu on the way over. Pora looks like shortest transfer but increases the total journey by a little too much when starting from Bergamo I think.
I will definitely post a trip report if we do this for decathlon rent and the whichever resort we end up in depending on flight arrival times and snow conditions.
FYI - Colere and poss Montecampione closed at moment but promising fresh investment to open next season
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I was there yesterday Decathlon Seriate , and the equipment looks good . Some sizeable reductions on Ski gear, socks, jackets etc
One Con to renting in Decathlon , if you find out the boots are not comfy , bindings need adjustment etc ,you will not have that rectified locally where you ski, so check you are happy with equipment before leaving
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@dublin2
Thanks - yeah that’s v the risk - eg an issue with a snowboard binding or something too - all part of delicate balance!
Decathlon do list affiliates on their rental site (you can use them like eg skiset/snowbrainer etc) that are the usual local shops so I will ask if we can go to them if any issues
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
yeesh sorry left that too long. Got Covid so missed first day of trip but the team had a good warm up day in Borno on the way up to MdC. Dispiritingly green on way up but decent slopes and just right for leg loosener apparently. Great views, good value grub and also lovely grateful locals who couldn't believe a group of ten brits had sought them out. WARNING the team (without the captain!) ended up mistakenly parking in the town square to grab a v nice pizza in picturesque PdL on way up and 2 drivers just (9 months later!!!) got 2 tickets each for driving in non driving zone. I wasn't there so cant comment - will be appealing at least 2 of the 4 but they may have them bang to rights so watch signs.
The Decathlon ski rental worked really well - v efficient pick up and drop off with super easy drive in, park and shoot off convenience. Kit was all good standard and helpful staff - not likely to happen upon any mantras for no upgrade here as its mass stock stuff but quality pretty fresh gear and well serviced. Would do again as often like to stop and ski somewhere on way and on way back to max slope time (also an option that would make Swiss trip more affordable for those not bringing own stuff - i.e. hire in Bergamo, ski in eg St Moritz and save 50% on ski hire).
We booked well ahead for MdC passes and got great rates and also booked ahead for bargain PT/PdL day on way back. MdC was super easy. PT/PdL was bit off a faff with their app to pick up and validate but fine. MdC is, as everybody says - beautiful, v well groomed and just a great experience. I'd also say it felt bigger (more accurately measured?!) than other similar areas - real feel off travelling, esp if going over to Pinzolo (eat butties on long gondola then not losing slop time).
PT/PdL on last day was decent when got up out the back of the main valley or over to glacier side, though the main single hill by PT town was slushy and busy and took a while to traverse - great easy slopes to practice on though. Headed over to PdL and found some great shorter but tree lined fun reds worth lapping and linking in loops, even had a coffee for 1.5 euro. Really good value slope side everywhere we went and quality of food even in basic self serve places put most Italian restaurants in UK to shame.
Deff be back that way again though we are heading to Italian Alps for the group trip this year (i'm also doing Paradiski and Cervina as solos).
Hope thats in some way helpful and sorry for delay.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@dgschof, thanks for reporting back! Esp. useful to hear about Decathlon ski hire - as you say, potentially a big saving if heading to Switzerland.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy