Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What thing do you wish there was a better solution to

Poster: A snowHead
Replace all chairs with gondolas
Solves the half empty thing as well being boarder friendly
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
100% re toilets down three flights of slushy narrow stairs - can't remember the only resort (must be Austrian not French) where this was not the case - heaven!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Goggle lenses with a defrosting (frost, not fog) screen similar to the rear window in our cars. My home area specializes in freezing fog, and the only thing that fixes it is your bare hand every 10 to 12 turns.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Scooter in Seattle, ...you fix freezing fog by turning it with your bare hands?....impressive
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I wish French mountain restaurants would allow people of any age to choose the kids menu! It is often restricted to under 10s which my teens find frustrating
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Scooter in Seattle wrote:
Goggle lenses with a defrosting (frost, not fog) screen similar to the rear window in our cars. My home area specializes in freezing fog, and the only thing that fixes it is your bare hand every 10 to 12 turns.

Now that is interesting......... https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005004927195477.html .......couple of strips....powered by something like electric glove/boot systems currently in existence Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ski3, exactly. And nice work finding that gizmo. Keep going, and I’ll be your guinea pig!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Seems someone may have got there before us https://www.amazon.com/Goggles-Graphene-Anti-Fog-Rechargeable-Snowmobile/dp/B09K7PSF9R?tag=amz07b-21 in snowmobile use.

Whether the reviews can be relied upon I don't know. Seems cheap for goggles though.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yeah we need the solution to be applied to real ski goggles, so we don’t go blind. Plus, it’s too cheap to be any good. On the other hand, it’s so cheap I might just get one anyway to check it out. Good find. I will admit that graphene had not crossed my mind.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
When non-detachable chairs reach stealth mode.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The restaurant by the Carella lift at La Plagne has a rope fixed at head height all around the perimeter wall where you can clip your helmet on, neat solution.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
terrygasson wrote:
lift lines to be better regulated and chairs to be full during busy periods, how hard is it to put up roped off lanes so as you can funnel down to the lifts, with a separate line for single skiers to fill up spare seats.
I.E. a 4man chair have 5no lanes, it would also stop the cockwombles who go through the barriers, then immediately stop and wait for their mates who are further back to come through!!

I have experienced this in America, and it still amazes me that resorts in Europe (though there may be some), do not adopt this

i know we are on holiday and should chill out, but there is nothing more annoying than a big lift queue, whilst watching chairs depart with lots of spare capacity on them!!

I’m so happy this drives someone else nuts,

Was skiing back from La Plagne to Arc 1600 yesterday and there were 6 man chairs going up with 2 people with huge queues . It’s five minutes people. It won’t kill you ti shard the chair or be temporarily separated from your mates.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Raven, ...yes this is a weird phenomenon...which sometimes makes us think that maybe skiing attracts egotists or encourages egocentric behaviour...or maybe the proximity anxiety from COVID has not yet gone away. This one actually has a remedy ... either a pisteur shouting ‘advancez a quatre/sees!!’ or a deafening loudspeaker doing the same...

...we once (irresponsibly?) set up a menacing chant at a choked 4-person chair...’advancez a quatre!! Advancez a quatre....!!’ And it got so fervent in the queue - a big chant in unison - that the pistey calmed it down and said ‘arret!!!!’ But it bloody well worked....
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Social pressure; a powerful tool!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
More Vegan options in Restaurants up the mountain (certainly in France). When I go with my Vegan Daughter - it’s like a weird Orienteering exercise - or a game of “Where’s (vegan) Wally”.
snow conditions
Is there such a thing as a Google Maps “Directions” feature for ski resorts? My daughter sent me a location pin but the map just recognized it as somewhere in another field. It would be nice if it said go down, fork left at the next blue, take the further chair at the bottom, then branch right for the red at the top, to arrive at this location (expected travel time 14 minutes). Recalculate route if you get on the wrong chair. Even better if you get the option “Avoid black runs” like “avoid motorways”.
I feel like it should have been done already but perhaps only for a few big resorts. And I’m aware that satnav plus cold kills phone batteries.
snow report
Brainwashing people into buying offpiste skis when all mountain skis would be more beneficial to their skiing
ski holidays
Bench seat as standard at the top of all lifts to help boarders put on their boards without clutering up the whole piste!
snow report
Orange200, Google maps have mapped some areas, street view via snowmobile Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Thanks but doesn’t seem to work with directions? I just tried VdI, got onto the ski map, then plotted two points on pistes about 3km apart and asked Directions. It told me to walk/drive between them. Acid test for a downhill course, reverse direction. It gave me the same route. So perhaps the mapping has been done, but not the directions.
snow conditions
@wnhall, our favourite lunch stop has a supply of bags and lots of hooks above head height for just that purpose.
snow conditions
- Lift queues, Singles lines are a must and I see no reason why the lifties can't enforce better loading of bums ( snowHead ) on seats when it's busy.
- A way of rebuilding my crappy cartilage under the knees would be nice too.
- Also I'd like a device that I could switch on that ensures a nice dump overnight in the resort that I happen to be staying in, and I'd like it so that this wouldn't show up on the weather forecasts of the area so only I and the pisteurs would know about it! snowHead

But I think @valais2, has it all about right!
snow conditions
Timmycb5 wrote:
wnhall wrote:
would you pay extra on the lift pass to put snipers ontop of the chairlift posts ?

Could they multitask and take out anyone playing music on a loud speaker on the slopes?

I wish the snipers were out in Les Gets today. There were two people in the same group of friends in the queue for a lift, each with a speaker blaring out the crapest hardcore stomp house. Different songs, obviously, so it produced just a generic noise.
snow report
Ski boots that don't hurt and aren't a faff to put on and off. Like, you put your feet on a base, press a button (or something!) and a magic liquid gel thing comes out and forms neatly round your feet and lower shins, fitting you perfectly with just the right amount of wriggle room, with a harder protective shell on top. When you're done for the day, or stopped in a restaurant, they just unform back into the base again.

Surely we can't be TOO far off that kind of technology by now!!

On a more realistic level, I'll take scrapping the metal staircases of doom to the toilets please. And more pisteurs for confiscating lift passes from Blue Run Heroes with no sense of personal space.
snow report
Hells Bells wrote:
@wnhall, our favourite lunch stop has a supply of bags and lots of hooks above head height for just that purpose.

They should make it law to provide hooks Happy
ski holidays
stewart woodward wrote:
Brainwashing people into buying offpiste skis when all mountain skis would be more beneficial to their skiing

Ah do you mean "marketing all mtn" skis = fatter piste skis?
ski holidays
Quote:

A hyperloop from GVA to the 3Vs, that only I know about

Why not think bigger? Hyperloop from *my house* to anywhere I choose in the world, destination movable with 1h notice to the hyperloop team snowHead
snow report
I'd like a tunnel you could drive through from England to France without stopping, rather than one where you have to arrive 45 minutes before your crossing, drive round the terminal car park, into another car park queue, then stack onto a train, wait another 15 minutes before it starts moving then unpack the train again at the other end.

After all those years they spent digging the tunnel you still have to get on a train to get to France.

It's a shame you can't pay to drive in the center service tunnel.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@JohnS4,
If you've ever driven/ridden through Mont Blanc tunnel then you'd hate this idea, long tunnels stink so bad of exhaust fumes on a motorbike they are lethal.

For all those with goggle misting issues, use a very thin wipe of washing up liquid on the inside, it works for motorbike visors so I see no reason why it won't work for skiing goggles. I don't suffer with this problem myself though.
snow conditions
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
terrygasson wrote:

I have experienced this in America, and it still amazes me that resorts in Europe (though there may be some), do not adopt this

It requires people, people cost money. Not everybody would be happy for lift pass prices to go up even more in order to allow this.

That's not the point. Some French resorts (e.g. 3V) had this when the first fast 6-chairs became popular in the late 90s. Those single lines vanished over time because of heavy lobbying against it on the part of ski schools. It's one of their main selling points for already quite advanced skiers. Les Arcs for example is toying around with the idea to bring something similar back. However no longer as a free service, but in the rather unpleasant form of a hard-boiled profit center with priority boarding which comes at a premium.
snow report
gixxerniknik wrote:
@JohnS4,
If you've ever driven/ridden through Mont Blanc tunnel then you'd hate this idea, long tunnels stink so bad of exhaust fumes on a motorbike they are lethal.

For all those with goggle misting issues, use a very thin wipe of washing up liquid on the inside, it works for motorbike visors so I see no reason why it won't work for skiing goggles. I don't suffer with this problem myself though.

I've always done his too, a few spots spread out across visor inside, let dry and fine for fogging.

Also this https://www.thevisorshop.com/en/gb/Bob-Heath-Heath-Anti-Fog-Spray-50ml-Pump/m-5768.aspx was given to me as sample and works fine.

Note, don't think you want to use either on anti-fog coated goggles, there's warning to this on the above spray.
ski holidays
sparklies wrote:
I'll take scrapping the metal staircases of doom to the toilets please.

+1 for this. Glad it's not just me that hates that awkward clump to the loo.
ski holidays
Ski boots (vs Snowboard boots).
I'm 47 and really really want to start sking. My entire previous experience is one day about 15 years ago and I was actually quite good at it....but felt like i hated every moment based on the stupid heavy clumpy bricks paralysing the ends of my legs. Within a couple of hours all I wanted was my snowboard back, I couldn't begin to imagine an apres session in them, or stairs, or tiled floors. The list never ends.
Ski boots and bindings are trapped in a evolutionary cul-de-sac, a route that I'll never be able to take until a long overdue technical revolution is found.
latest report
0nlyEverBoard# wrote:
Ski boots (vs Snowboard boots).
I'm 47 and really really want to start sking. My entire previous experience is one day about 15 years ago and I was actually quite good at it....but felt like i hated every moment based on the stupid heavy clumpy bricks paralysing the ends of my legs. Within a couple of hours all I wanted was my snowboard back, I couldn't begin to imagine an apres session in them, or stairs, or tiled floors. The list never ends.
Ski boots and bindings are trapped in a evolutionary cul-de-sac, a route that I'll never be able to take until a long overdue technical revolution is found.

Ski boots are great for crowded apres places, it's like wearing steel toecapped workboots, you feet are protected from when some heavyweight apres-er accidentally steps on your foot.
ski holidays
There's a certain irony there, having had my foot stamped on by an angy ski boot !!

Ski boots are just weird, there's no comparison to any other widely used footware, especially ones that are needed to be worn in normal practical settings like bars, shops, public transport etc.
latest report
Several million regular skiers suggest the issue is more with your personal tolerance than the technology itself. Sure it would be nice to have but you do sound very angry about it.
snow report
@0nlyEverBoard#, alas, we are but pilgrims in a strange land here - this lot still think they need ski poles Toofy Grin , and anyway in A to your Q... https://www.apexskiboots.com/
snow report
@Richard_Sideways, That's it !!

That's what's been needed for at least 30 years.
Let's hope they're the future, that they're successful, get developed and become a lot more affordable....cos right now 800 quid !!
ski holidays
Orange200 wrote:
Several million regular skiers suggest the issue is more with your personal tolerance than the technology itself. Sure it would be nice to have but you do sound very angry about it.

Ha, no anger here, maybe some frustration that it was so easy to give up on skiing and return to what I already knew...and relief that I found boarding before skiing found me !

Also surprise that the countless millions of skiers over the last 35+ years haven't demanded and innovated more user friendly boots since the introduction of soft snowboard boots all that time ago.
ski holidays
@0nlyEverBoard#, The point with skiing boots is in the name. They are for skiing. Not for walking/apres ski, dancing. And are designed to maximise skiing performance above other attributes. That is why at the high end of performance you even see some boarders using hard boots!

That said there has been significant innovation. Gripwalk, where there is more grip and the sole is shaped to aid walking especially. Materials development means boots ca. be much lighter and still give the same performance. And cross-over boots that have a very effective walk function (releasing the upper cuff). I will often wear my cross-over boots when teaching as they are more comfortable, walking is easier, and they are still reasonably stiff when skiing. But I do also have piste boots that I use for higher performance when required.

The Apex boot is a good concept but it's not great for skiing performance being very soft in forward flex. Essentially only good for lower level recreational skiing really.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy