Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wrist protection

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A few weeks ago I had a scaphoid operation to repair an historical broken wrist. I came out of the plaster cast a few weeks ago and have been wearing a splint on and off since. We are going skiing in a couple of weeks (woohoo) but my wrist is still a bit tender and I don’t want to risk damaging it. Any recommendations for wrist armour, braces, some sort of reinforcement please? Not sure my current brace will fit under my ski jacket and / or gloves.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
One of those wrist braces with a metal bar down the forearm? Don't think you'll get anything more slimline that offers the protection you're after
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Be careful, as you risk breaking your arm instead!
I would look at something to protect the hand more than the wrist.
Level gloves have a biomex guard. Maybe worth a look.

https://www.sicurogear.com/pages/level-biomex-gloves-wrist-protection-system-explained

If you have amazon prime then you can try before you buy. Maybe you will have to send them back because the biomex guards was missing when they arrived Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

This. Anything that really stops your wrist breaking is just going to transfer the forces higher up causing a different injury.

There is also the suggestion that putting wrist protection on leads to people putting their hand out to brace falls. When actually you want to be doing the opposite, tucking it in and letting your elbow/upper arm take the impact. Yes easier said than done!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
NO advice, but two years ago I broke my wrist and four bones in my hand, dislocated my elbow and thumb in November, I went skiing on the first week of January, had my cast removed and wore a hand brace and one of my husbands gloves to facilitate the brace, while I was terrified of a fall, all was well, but skiing on hard pack was painful. vibrations were to be avoided. But if you can leave it for a few weeks to recover it's all the better for you. ( I told the doc I was going to the canaries and wanted my cast off so I could swim, ) nuts now that I think about it. But no way was I going to not ski when in a resort with my family.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
After a wrist fracture from snowboarding, I wore a support for the next 2 or 3 years, about 10 weeks of skiing, without injury.

It was a cheap and simple support that skateboarders wear. Leather with a plastic support built in, Velcro straps to adjust fit around wrist. Without that on, my wrist was painful when skiing, gardening, in the gym, etc.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I had a pretty bad break a few years ago and use the Dainese Hector 13 for my wrists these days. The support is on the top of the wrist, rather than underneath. Anyway, they're comfortable and the only thing I'd add is that you might need to size up in glove size, as they can prove tight to fit under some gloves, although obviously you could check this with your existing gloves first (I use mittens normally and they fit better under them for me anyway). Totally anecdotal, obviously, but that's all I've got to add to the conversation.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I fell hard on my right wrist off piste last March, and bought (at great expense as I was in in Courchevel at the time) a wrist support at the pharmacy. It was a french brand https://www.sport-orthese.com/attelles-de-poignet-classiques/1739-manu-control-velpeau.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAw8OeBhCeARIsAGxWtUwRWsGrNPvqnZeYIgicZa5_fcfXr7lezbbZz5mbLZdrPgCq4QhaDjQaArbiEALw_wcB#.
It took a while to get better and I was left with an ongoing sense of vulnerability. Back in early December 2022 I slipped on a wet pavement and fell on the same wrist..really painful. I bought a cheap wrist guard in Boots that day, but the french one was better and a slimmer fit. I’ve been using the french on ever since when skiing or walking around on icy pavements while here in France. The support has definitely protected my from further injury and it fits through the sleeves of my clothes and jacket.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Plastic skating wrist guards should offer some support and fit under gloves.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Gored wrote:
I would look at something to protect the hand more than the wrist.
Level gloves have a biomex guard. Maybe worth a look.

https://www.sicurogear.com/pages/level-biomex-gloves-wrist-protection-system-explained

If you have amazon prime then you can try before you buy. Maybe you will have to send them back because the biomex guards was missing when they arrived Toofy Grin

I fractured my scaphoid first time boarding. Since then I've used level fly gloves and had no issues, I swear by them they're the most important bit of my kit.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Anything that really stops your wrist breaking is just going to transfer the forces higher up causing a different injury.

Nah.
They are known as travelling breaks and if you're getting one of those, with enough force to break an arm bone, it would've left your wrist like a bag of bits - frankly you are probably better off with the arm break.

The basic simple neoprene with a plastic stay in it would probably be better than the full biomex ones as a skier assuming you'll be wanting those pole things.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the advice everyone. I’m actually pretty good at falling after several years of playing judo not very well. Which is probably how I broke my wrist in the first place. I’ll have a look into the suggestions.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My other half have flex-meters
https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/V/Demon_Flexmeter_Double_SnowboardSki_Wrist_Guards_M_Black-(64252)?fc=GBP/?keyword=&gclid=Cj0KCQiAw8OeBhCeARIsAGxWtUzsSt-ksjPU46ASHMDUt529KX8Yb-YszoQE9UaiNOA-6Bgo2IQ_nREaApx2EALw_wcB

Absolute PITA for me when she asks to pull her gloves up because she cant! Gave her my oversized mittens in the end.
The level biomex are good as they are purely the palm of the hand with a little wiggle for the lower wrist. There is no way impact can travel as you are not strapped together
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy