Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Annual Insurance

Poster: A snowHead
Just hearx advert on radio for Lloyds Silver account. Which on surface guves annual European insurance inc winter sports cover. For £10 a month. This is cheaper than the Nationwide flexplus I currently have.

Has anybody studied the small print and compared yet? Thinking about switching to it. About to do a study when I get some time (must start work) but wondering if any snowehads already have looked?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@NickyJ, I have Lloyd's gold..not available now.. maximum 31 days winter sports and not possible to upgrade to more days. Otherwise its OK. Don't know about silver specifically but just a pointer
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
holidayloverxx wrote:
@NickyJ, I have Lloyd's gold..not available now.. maximum 31 days winter sports and not possible to upgrade to more days. Otherwise its OK. Don't know about silver specifically but just a pointer

Oh I wish I was in a position that that would be restrictive snowHead

Maybe once kids leave home.

Thanks for the pointer, it is appreciated
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nationwide is Worldwide & also includes mobile phone insurance I think.
Worth checking the small print.

IF you travel that much, then maybe the Amex Platinum card is a better option.

Worldwide travel insurance
Airport lounge Access for 2x per card (so 4x if you give your spouse a supplementary card)
£150 UK dining credit
£150 overseas dining credit
2x £50 vouchers for Harvey Nicks
Various Amex offers throughout the year including small shops (spend £15 get £5 back)
Hotel benefits / status.
Plus you get to collect Amex points which can be converted to various schemes.
A 30,000 bonus when you spend the first £4k (so 34,000 points in total + potentially more via a referral link) - can be used at a lot of places - for example Amazon = £170

So the high fee can be justified!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Gored, must admit had been wondering about the Amex.... especially as we are hoping to go to Canada for first time ever over christmas and/or new year for 2024/25 as it is hubbies 50th Birthday. But being family of 4 not sure if it would actually work. Plus we would be want to use points toward peak days flights....
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@NickyJ,

You would need to check the bonus eligibility if you have previously held an amex (I think coming from a BA amex is OK though!)
If you do not have a BA amex or not held one before or short on avios, then worth looking at the offer direct from BA where it is double Avios
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/executive-club/collecting-avios/credit-cards/uk
70,000 avios signup bonus for the paid card!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Gored, I think I'll look into that
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@NickyJ, don’t forget the nationwide one, as well as phone insurance that @Gored, mentioned, it also includes U.K. and Europe wide breakdown cover for all account holders.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
holidayloverxx wrote:

I asked my insurer, Ski cover, how they knew how many days I'd been skiing, "We don't" was the answer. If I made a claim on my March ski trip, they had no system of checking whether I'd already been away. Obviously, if you claim every trip, that might get some awkward questions.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@tangowaggon, I know, but on a 6 week trip I'm not prepared to take the risk or lie
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Gored, so part of my research into Amex thought, just check I can pay remainder of our April holiday on it with Sunweb. Err No.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
nope - sunweb dont take amex Sad
One problem with Amex is that it is not widely accepted, so you also need a backup of some sort.
For me - my backup is Hilton Honours, but you can't get them cards anymore.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Gored wrote:
nope - sunweb dont take amex Sad
One problem with Amex is that it is not widely accepted, so you also need a backup of some sort.
For me - my backup is Hilton Honours, but you can't get them cards anymore.

Yep, just topped up kids dinner money for school and also noticed Visa and Mastercard symbols as only cards accepted.

Means that the spending enough to actually trigger bonuses would be much more difficult than I had assumed, as a lot of my upcoming and regular spend dont accept them.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

holidayloverxx wrote:

I asked my insurer, Ski cover, how they knew how many days I'd been skiing, "We don't" was the answer. If I made a claim on my March ski trip, they had no system of checking whether I'd already been away. Obviously, if you claim every trip, that might get some awkward questions.

I always thought clauses like 31 days maximum are for single trip duration. You have to return back to the UK, but could fly straight back to wherever for another 31days cover ?

I'll give a thumbs up to Nationwide FlexPlus, when you factor in the breakdown cover, phone insurance and other perks it seems to me to be quite cost effective.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Me on phone to insurance company:

ME …We need annual cover
For four…
Including Off piste…

OK…..

ME: and mountain biking….

OK….cross country or DH?

ME: Both

Right….that will be an eye watering amount of money do you have any children which you can sell?

Finally we opted for SnowCard Extreme annual European cover…not bad
Although this year my daughter turned 18 and could not be included as a family member - needed to be insured separately. So she had same policy but wil no mountain biking in it.
snow conditions
0nlyEverBoard# wrote:
Quote:

holidayloverxx wrote:

I always thought clauses like 31 days maximum are for single trip duration. You have to return back to the UK, but could fly straight back to wherever for another 31days cover ?

I'll give a thumbs up to Nationwide FlexPlus, when you factor in the breakdown cover, phone insurance and other perks it seems to me to be quite cost effective.

This is definitely maximum ski days in a year. ...i have the correspondence. It was cheaper to buy a separate snowcard policy for 6 weeks than to fly home anyway
snow report
Eh oh! Eh oh! as the OP said further up the thread, I'd love to be in a position to spend more than 31 days a year in the mountains.
ski holidays
Eh oh! Eh oh! as the OP said further up the thread, I'd love to be in a position to spend more than 31 days a year in the mountains.
latest report
0nlyEverBoard# wrote:
Quote:

holidayloverxx wrote:

Which is what we currently have. However this seems to offer similar (certainly covers our needs for the next year for £10 a month vs our current £13 a month I transfer every month to Nationwide from my existing Lloyds current account).

Reading policy details the Lloyds one covers end supplier failure which many policies don't. So one tick. Haven't done a side by side comparison yet.
latest report
@NickyJ, did you pick Amex or something else? Just doing the rounds myself!
ski holidays
@kitenski, the best option seems to be take out membership of the Austrian Alpine Club which covers you for any issue in the mountains (assuming you are not off to the Greater Ranges in which case you have to pay extra). Then take out whichever annual travel insurance works. That way you are covered for the unusual stuff like getting choppered out of some remote valley and also the boring normal stuff (BA loosing your bags!). Get a health card (whatever the EHIC is called these days) too and you should have maximum cover at a reasonable cost (especially if you get "free" travel insurance with your bank account etc)
snow conditions
@munich_irish, yep that's what I do. AAC for the hairy stuff and regular travel insurance for the ordinary medical etc. Guess it requires a certain amount of consciousness about who to make what claim with but if I'm not that sentient I hope I'm being taken care of anyway.
ski holidays
@munich_irish, @Dave of the Marmottes, so I was looking into that. The aac rescues you from what I can see, but then doesn’t cover any medical costs? So a friend who did her acl had 10k of hospital costs from a private hospital in Lech. Assume neither aac or ghic would cover that? They’d want the person to go down to the local hospital I’d guess? Also assume regular travel insurance wouldn’t cover it either as they’d say I was doing an activity not covered ?.
latest report
@kitenski, medically necessary treatment of Euro 10k under AAC AIUI. Which probably covers most accident/injury in Europe. As I see it the big potential for costs to build up are in things like heart attacks or strokes.

I think also you don't have to take private treatment as the be all and end all. For something like an ACL it would be perfectly reasonable to get a transfer to a GHIC covered hospital in the Inn valley or Feldkirch etc. Maybe need to negotiate on the transfer cost or fork out the cab fare oneself . Yes it's hassle but the cost of totally comprehensive insurance can be prohibitive anyway.
latest report
@Dave of the Marmottes, cheers, quite interested in following this approach. In this particular case the consultant advised operating before the swelling would have meant unable to operate!

I'm now in the weeds Smile Is this the right doc for AAC?

https://www.alpenverein.at/portal_wAssets/docs/service/versicherung/AWS-Folder_A4_EN_2023_blaetter_final.pdf

Seems to cover:

Costs for rescue from off-road terrain domestically or abroad incl. costs for transport and transfer within one’s country of main place of residence
Repatriation and medical treatment costs abroad
European third party liability insurance
European criminal law legal protection
European damage compensation legal protection

Medical seems to be get you home or sort you out locally as preferred option?

Valid worldwide during the first eight weeks of any journey abroad, for leisure and occupational accidents as well as illness.
Repatriation service from abroad: unlimited coverage
Medically necessary therapeutic treatment abroad (incl. medically necessary transport to the hospital): up to EUR 10,000
snow report
@kitenski,
Amex recently done a 60,000 points promo.
Maybe they will do another in a few months if you are not in a rush.
60,000 points is worth about £300 if you spend them poorly, but can be worth a lot more!
Add on the rest of giveaways with the amex then it became a very good deal.
Only snag is that you needed to spend £6k in 6 months to reach the promotion target.
ski holidays
@Gored, do they cover touring, off piste without a guide etc in their bundled insurance?
ski holidays
@kitenski, Think that's it. And I think it's common with all travel insurance that the preference is to get you home and treated under your own system rather than incur extended costs elsewhere, failing that in a EHIC/GHIC covered facility but "medically necessary" overrules. Remember AAC is primarily designed for Austrians in their own country and other alpine environments.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Dave of the Marmottes, do you know if their support line speaks English? Can't imagine anything worse than being midst an incident and being unable to converse with them!
snow conditions
Its Europ Assistance isn't it. Pretty sure they'll have copious English speakers. This isn't a backdoor thing as AAC have a specific UK chapter.
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
@NickyJ, did you pick Amex or something else? Just doing the rounds myself!

Found too little woups take Amex for my big purchases then.... having recently been dojng some big spends on a new kitchen I reallu should have looked into all this again. Too latw now!
snow report
kitenski wrote:
@Gored, do they cover touring, off piste without a guide etc in their bundled insurance?

No, I think when I looked Offpiste had to be with a guide & within offpiste boundaries
snow report
I haven’t checked the most recent policy docs, but as of a year ago, Amex platinum covered ski touring without a guide. Off piste skiing states “with a qualified instructor” which is a bit bizarre as most guides aren’t actually qualified instructors. No resort boundary restriction. Moral of the story is… always keep a set of skins in your bag!

Importantly it also provides full Collision Damage Waiver on rental cars - goes way beyond the usual “excess cover” policies. This alone can pay for the card. I had a claim for a scraped wheel and the process was very slick and well managed.
ski holidays
@snowdave, I don't understand that distinction between "ski touring" and "off-piste skiing". I'd be very wary of relying on it.
snow report
@pam w, I’m happy to rely on it. If I’m on touring skis, in touring boots, with skins and avi kit, I’m touring. Seems a lot less ambiguous than whether a guide will count as an instructor.

Bear in mind this is a consumer financial services contract. To quote the CMA: “where the meaning of wording is ambiguous (so there is more than one possible meaning), there is a requirement that it should be given the meaning that is most favourable to the consumer.”
latest report
@snowdave, interesting, but just checked an annual fee of £575 for platinum currently!!!!!
snow report
@kitenski, yep, like all these "bundle" deals, it really only works if you get value from the car rental CDW (it can be difficult to get quotes without CDW, but if you can, they're typically 25% cheaper), the travel insurance, and the unlimited lounge passes (for 4 people).

The travel insurance covers under 25s living at home, which is more generous than some other family policies.

Plus you get a metal card which is great for opening amazon boxes Happy
snow conditions
@snowdave, question on the amex platinum - is rescue off the mountain covered i.e. helicopter? For some reason we can't get onto the full policy document, so if you have any details... Very Happy
snow conditions
@ElzP, https://www.americanexpress.com/content/dam/amex/uk/staticassets/pdf/card-products/platinum-charge-card/UK_Platinum_Charge_Insurance_Documentation_v1_0.pdf
https://www.americanexpress.com/content/dam/amex/en-gb/benefits/UK-Platinum-insurance-documentation-May-2023.pdf

Transport to hospital is covered, evacuation and repatriation are covered, and winter sports (with some exclusions) are covered.

I'm confident I'm covered for helicopter rescue. However, since there's no charge for it in Chamonix, I've not had to put it to the test.
ski holidays
You have to watch out for both maximum trip length and maximum days in a year.

A limit of one trip and 15 days is common for multi-trip travel insurance with winter sports cover. The worst I have seen is one trip with 6 days winter sports.

It's annoying as you can't search or compare easily, because the key info is often buried deep in the policy wording.

Even SkiClub of GB insurance is relatively restricted.

The two I have used are MPI and BMC (the latter is overall cheaper with BMC membership). Not had a claim. Both offer unlimited trips. MPI offers options for trip length up to at least 31 days - maybe 60??? - as smallcost add ons. Both cover a wide range of mountain sports, off piste etc.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy