Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

UCPA levels/trips

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone have any advice on selecting a level for a UCPA off-piste trip? I'm looking to do a week in the first half of April, so thinking VT or one of the other higher resorts, but unsure whether to go with the intro to off-piste or the advanced (or the 'Free Ski Rando' or even the Grants Montets based in Argentières).

I've just got back from a guided week in Alagna, in acceptable snow: there was no real base to speak of, so the Punta Indren wasn't open, which meant the runs we did were relatively short (and having a guide to find the nicest patches of good snow was incredibly helpful). It snowed for the first two days, then we had four days of sunshine, so we had a good mix of crap and excellent vis, with snow conditions that started crusty, followed by a gorgeous day of knee-deep powder (thigh-deep in the places where the wind had deposited more snow), then two of pretty good off-piste and a final day that was a good deal more crusty and wind-swept.

For what it's worth, my SCGB levels are purple on- and off-piste, and I'd self-assess my off-piste technique a shade or so weaker than my piste skiing. I'm relatively confident, happy to fall (maybe half the days I won't, but once or twice a day happens sometimes) and pick myself up and keep going. My worst habit is probably to ski on strength and stamina more than technique, particularly when off-piste, and I'd like to be able to improve my technique to be able to ski more fluidly and at slightly slower speeds (i.e. with more and somewhat tighter turns). That said, the highest praise I got from the guides in Alagna was when I skied the slightly older snow with more aggression and commitment (albeit with slightly wider turns and at a little more speed than I'd ideally have liked).

I presume it doesn't matter hugely, beyond the choice of centre, as if I plump for the wrong level I can always be assessed down or up on the first day. But I guess what I'm asking is if anyone has advice as to the best level to pick in order to make that technical improvement. I don't mind a steep learning curve, but I'm looking for the best opportunity to do the technical work I'd like in order to ski off-piste more fluidly.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I’d probably not pick the “intro to off piste” based on your experience.

You’re probably over thinking this a little. You won’t get much coaching in technique on a UCPA off piste week. The groups are large for 1 guide and they are primarily focusing on safety.

It’s a very affordable way to ski off piste but when they are full (8 or 10 depending on the course) it feels too big now I’ve got used to North American guide ratios. I really felt the large group size over NY at Argentiere.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kat.ryb wrote:
You’re probably over thinking this a little.

Oh, I'm certainly overthinking it, probably more than a little. Overthinking things is one of my worst habits. I agonized for hours over whether to take two or three pairs of (non-ski) trousers and three or four sweaters to Alagna, and even then managed to get up at 1:30am the morning I left to remove one of each from my suitcase.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Don't see why you'd go for intro if you've already done a guided week.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Layne wrote:

Thanks. I was wondering because I had the impression that the UCPA levels/courses were pretty high/hard, and was concerned that my technique might not be up to 'advanced'. But I'll do that one, and can always drop down a group if needed.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I agonized for hours over whether to take two or three pairs of (non-ski) trousers and three or four sweaters to Alagna, and even then managed to get up at 1:30am the morning I left to remove one of each from my suitcase.

Now this I can help you out on, especially for a UCPA trip where you aren't going anywhere 'nice' in the evenings! One pair of non-ski trousers in the suitcase, the other on your legs for the journey.- Probably won't wear the spare pair. 2 non-ski sweaters in the suitcase, 1 on your body. Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jmr59 wrote:
Layne wrote:

Thanks. I was wondering because I had the impression that the UCPA levels/courses were pretty high/hard, and was concerned that my technique might not be up to 'advanced'. But I'll do that one, and can always drop down a group if needed.

Not used UCPA myself (have a family and too old!) but yeah I seem to remember reading that too. But from your profile I am sure you would fine - you seem to have the attitude to ride it out even if others are a tad stronger or more developed. And there is always some variance.

You could always message them to lay the ground/understanding/expectation.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@jmr59, I have done loads of UCPA ski weeks over the last 20 years, the guiding and coaching can vary in standard. The level of the group varies too, you might get 2-3 rippers in your group or 10 serial fallers and chatter boxes! I reckon you should go for an 'advanced' week and see how you go. VT, Les Arcs, or Tignes would both be good calls, the last guide I had in Tignes was cack but for the previous couple of trips to Tignes the guide was absolutely superb. I have had some brilliant guiding in VDI, Les Arcs and VT in Expert and Pente Fortes groups. I reckon the most consistently high quality guiding has been in VT and Les Arcs - maybe that is to do with the manager. I have scored some sensational weeks with the UCPAs but I have also pretty much binned some because the groups are too big or I have not been confident in the guide's ability. I reckon VT would be a great start for you, you will be moved to the Expert group if they reckon you are good enough, VT has been very well managed when I have been there - enjoy! I might even be there at the same time.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Trip booked: advanced off-piste in VT, first week of April. Chosen partly because of the recommendations here, partly because of my own sense that it's a good place to go when the weather might be warm: on a family holiday to Le Collet d'Allevard in the early 90s there was hardly any snow in late March/April, and my father and I went to VT for one day of more expansive skiing.

Paid an extra £50 to take a suitcase (the hand-luggage only option on KLM is theoretically limited to 12kg, I don't know if that's checked), so despite @kat.ryb's helpful guidance I'll doubtless end up packing too many clothes and overthinking what to take!

Looking forward to the trip: let me know if you're in VT/at the UCPA there that week!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
One thing I discovered this week is that the course marketed by Action Outdoors / ucpa.co.uk as Off-Piste Advanced is what in French is called Hors-Piste All Mountain (in Swedish it's called Toutes Neiges). The UK marketing sets 'expert' as a minimum on-piste level, but on the French and Swedish sites the minimum is confirmé. That's probably sensible, given the tendency among many British skiers to over-estimate their own ability, but I'd encourage anyone thinking of doing the 'Off-Piste Advanced' but worried that they're not 'expert enough' to do it.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy