Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The results are in All Mountain Skis sub 100mm tested with Carv

Poster: A snowHead
Weathercam wrote:

And one amusing aside from the test was that the main man from Volkl, came and skied one session with us.

He said twice that he had leg burn and between his heavy breathing, he said we don't hang around*.

*probably meant to say "for old farts we don't hang around" Laughing

He was being polite Laughing
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
KenX wrote:
...but I was chasing Glen Plake all over the mountain at the time and may have taken my eye off the ball regarding carving Laughing

I wonder how long this name dropping will go on... and how the story will evolve. Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Weathercam, rather curious, how many pairs of skis get sold in the uk every year? Although it does occur to me that such an event won't be that hard to organise as the Mfrs are doing this sort of thing all the time.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@under a new name, this event is run by the Ski Industry Great Britain so all the manufacturers present are UK agents/distributors, so now a massive ball ache bringing the kit from UK with arranging carnets etc so many UK retailers present to test then order gear etc

Fingers getting cold now typing this on the lift!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Weathercam, if you get a chance, hacking a touring ski like Volk Rise Above down a piste to get a Carv score would be interesting
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@kitenski, I'm back now, plus couldn't have done that too easily without a major faff, as Carv sensors/insoles are in my downhill boots and touring skis on test were pretty well all mounted with pins though there were a few with Shifts, so to get them into my touring boots like I say would have been a major faff.

Just back from up the hill and was consistently scoring 140's peaked at 143 which was my best prior to the test, but I did have that magic run where it all felt so good and my score of 146 reflected that.

Interestingly when I went up this morning, went to start Carv and there was a problem with the sensors after having charged them last night, as it's best to recalibrate them, but one sensor was not playing, eventually after pairing all was ok, but moral of the story do it at home before you venture out, especially when it's -10 !!

Hopefully this afternoon will write things up !
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Weathercam, it's like Oktobertest on heat! snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Article now written up from my perspective, @KenX, taking a slightly different line.

https://stylealtitude.com/best-all-mountain-skis-2023-2024.html

Again the test showed up, given how quickly conditions changed, especially on the piste, and how difficult it actually is to test skis consistently well.

Feedback, I'm pleased to say from two industry insiders is most complimentary, as to what we tried to achieve.

I'm just back from being up the hill with the Salomon S/RACE GS 10 and managed to beat my previous score, but am still one point of the best score I achieved in La Clusaz with........
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just had a good response back from Atomic following on from the test saying how using Carv gives a really good comparison between the skis tested, mind you they would say that as the Redster Q9.8 came out top, and in their words is a "carving weapon".

I've now also looked at other reviews and it's good that we're all in agreement as to how good the ski is.

This is a more detailed one

https://www.skiessentials.com/2023-ski-test/skis/2023-atomic-redster-q9-8/

And I'm still trying like mad to get the equivalent of that magic run when the Redster just skied to perfection, with my GS skis rolling eyes
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I get what you're trying to do but in practice to a delta of less than 10 on a score around 140 across 4 categories is fairly meaningless to the lay reader. And maybe the best validation is back to what felt best - in your case the Redster.

I think maybe calibrating the Carv score from say 0 for a poo-poo skidder to 40 for Ted Ligety or whatever pro it is scored on would help in clarity.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Weathercam, reading your write-up, it's a shame you didn't take your reference ski out for a run at the end of the day. That would have given you some idea of how much the deterioration of the pistes was contributing to the lower scores of the later skis. Easy to say in hindsight, of course Very Happy.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And my take from a different perspective:
https://www.stylealtitude.com/all-mountain-skis-review-2024.html
It was a real eye-opener how well skis in this category can perform on-piste, my Volkl SC carvers only give me a 3 point higher score than the best all-mountain skis tested!
In my mind, a one-ski quiver IS attainable and not the Holy Grail!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I like the idea of injecting some objectivity to ski tests. The protocol maybe needs tweaking as was mentioned above.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
KenX wrote:
And my take from a different perspective:
https://www.stylealtitude.com/all-mountain-skis-review-2024.html
It was a real eye-opener how well skis in this category can perform on-piste, my Volkl SC carvers only give me a 3 point higher score than the best all-mountain skis tested!
In my mind, a one-ski quiver IS attainable and not the Holy Grail!

Nice review Ken
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Weathercam wrote:
@under a new name, Top score is 165, Ted Ligety 163

Carv break down the scores into levels of skier.

Anyway KenX has gone off skiing with some dude who was on the Elan stand who answers to the name of Glen, while I'm back to check on the dogs Laughing

Nice one Ken! Cool
snow conditions
I think it's a worthwhile review and interesting addition to see the relative scores derived from that measurement in supplementing subjective overview.

The quantative, subjective mix does provide a different slant on things. Obviously we can (and do) argue about many aspects of this topic on here, but you @Weathercam, & @KenX, were there, standing on the skis, pushing them down the piste and forming your own opinion to deliver that to us.
It makes a reasonably comprehensive fabric on which we can view these skis, along with reason why you two thought that was the case.

I feel it's of decent value and thanks for the efforts you put to offer what I see as balance in reporting that.
latest report
KenX wrote:
Best skis so far Ripsticks 106, awesome!!!

I've loved mine for the last few years.
Sadly the ski tech says they won't take many more repairs.
When they reach the end of the road I'll likely get the same again. I know that's a classic old bloke strategy but I really don't know what I'd try to improve for an all round, go anywhere, ski that's also good fun.
snow report
Ed_sec wrote:
KenX wrote:

When they reach the end of the road I'll likely get the same again. I know that's a classic old bloke strategy but I really don't know what I'd try to improve for an all round, go anywhere, ski that's also good fun.

Have you had much time in powder on them? I'm looking for a "freetouring" ski (I think that's the new fangled name for these things!!) that is reasonably light but is set up with touring bindings and would be my go to ski for soft snow and touring (limited to day tours rather than hut to hut stuff). Read some stuff that they're not great in powder?
snow report
Dashed wrote:
Ed_sec wrote:
KenX wrote:

Have you had much time in powder on them? I'm looking for a "freetouring" ski (I think that's the new fangled name for these things!!) that is reasonably light but is set up with touring bindings and would be my go to ski for soft snow and touring (limited to day tours rather than hut to hut stuff). Read some stuff that they're not great in powder?

I've used them the last 5 seasons maybe. I live in the Alps so get out a fair bit. Powder is really a rarity here but I've not noticed any problems in it, but then it's such a joy I'm not really looking for them. Maybe if you ski mainly in some deep pow location you might want something wider, don't know I've never been there! I think they make a great free-touring ski for day tours as you say. I put Tectons on mine in 2021 (when the lifts in France weren't open) and did I think +1400m on my biggest day. I wouldn't want to do more but then I'm closer to 70 than 60 so if you're young and fit, no problem. The real beauty of them as Mr Plake himself says is you know you can ski whatever the day throws at you. Short of having a ski caddy to offer the appropriate ski for each section of your day I don't know how you'd better that. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
@Ed_sec, - thank you. Sounding pretty good and definitely on the list (as is the 104 Tour version!).
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy