Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A different kind of hot skiing fantasy....

Poster: A snowHead
So last night I was packing for a forthcoming holiday for myself and my daughter. Man there's a lot of stuff. Skis, boots, tools, poles, helmets, goggles, outerlayers, inner layers, blah, blah, blah. Not only have a I got to pack it all, I've got to transport it hundreds of miles and then back again, wash it, service it and so on.

When I got to bed I dreamed about walking into a shop in my underpants and holding a credit card... and walking out fully-kitted up and ready to ski. Not exactly in the realms of dreaming of sharing a hot tub with the ladies' slalom team, but there you go. However I still felt strangely excited by the idea!.

Has it (i.e. the rental of EVERYTHING) ever been offered in real life? It would seem to have many benefits, especially with children.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@greengriff, i managed to rent ski pants, jacket, goggles and helmet (and skis) in Whistler a few years ago when my bag was delayed. Fortunately I had my boots and base layers in my hand luggage.

I've heard people ask the question about renting ski wear in some larger resorts, and apparently there are options in Chamonix, but i don't think it's very common.
https://www.chamonix.net/english/shopping/mountain-equipment/ski-wear-rental

In smaller resorts, i guess lack of demand vs need for storage space for all the gear would be prohibitive?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@greengriff, "When I got to bed I dreamed about walking into a shop in my underpants and holding a credit card"

You'd likely be arrested for that type of behaviour round these parts Very Happy

Joking aside though, there was an outfit in operation for a few years that provided ski/boot/pole etc package also full outer kit of suit/jacket/salopette/gloves all as combined service.

Based at Gatwick as they had a shop there during ski season that you picked and dropped at in terminal. Think they had pre-fit off airport that did sizing/setup/ordering and such, then with the whole set all fresh/laundered etc was stocked for you outward journey. It seemed to work OK and rented ski/boots from them with a couple in our group using whole pack a couple of times.

Recall they also did fit/order etc at ski show when in Olympia location.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
not quite the same but a lot of people who have their own small place do have the experience,

When I go with my mates, I literally turn up with Phone, wallet, passport & the clothes I chose to wear that day
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheers. It is actually a thing then. Maybe renting clothes just seems too weird for most people?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Jonny996 wrote:
not quite the same but a lot of people who have their own small place do have the experience,

When I go with my mates, I literally turn up with Phone, wallet, passport & the clothes I chose to wear that day

Yeah, that's the ideal solution I guess. Somewhat different in terms of budget though!!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ski3 wrote:
@greengriff, "When I got to bed I dreamed about walking into a shop in my underpants and holding a credit card"

You'd likely be arrested for that type of behaviour round these parts Very Happy

Joking aside though, there was an outfit in operation for a few years that provided ski/boot/pole etc package also full outer kit of suit/jacket/salopette/gloves all as combined service.

Based at Gatwick as they had a shop there during ski season that you picked and dropped at in terminal. Think they had pre-fit off airport that did sizing/setup/ordering and such, then with the whole set all fresh/laundered etc was stocked for you outward journey. It seemed to work OK and rented ski/boots from them with a couple in our group using whole pack a couple of times.

Recall they also did fit/order etc at ski show when in Olympia location.

Was? Am I to presume from that the enterprise was a failure?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It happens a lot with heliskiing. People turn up and their bags are missing, usually because they have had to take more than one flight and if you check your bags through... they don't always get through. If you have 100 people in Canada turn up for a week's skiing, you're pretty much guaranteed that someone will not have their gear. Smart people carry their boots and underwear in the cabin, but most will end up borrowing at least all their outer gear, maybe more. I would still not recommend turning up only in underpants.

I'm not sure that's exactly what you have in mind though - borrowing gear until the real stuff arrives. The standard pose is to leave your gear at the location, so it's there when you go back to use it.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I came across this but maybe not quite what you were thinking of.

https://www.vogue.co.uk/fashion/article/rental-skiwear

There seem a few other places that rent out ski clothing and accessories that are not in the article above but mainly catering to the school market. But it may be harder to find a one-stop shop for everything these days?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Definitely haven't seen that for a few years, possibly ten so it doesn't seem to have survived.

Air terminal retail space i believe is extraordinarily expensive now as comparison, which may have scuppered it. Along with Olympia ski show itself.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ster wrote:
I came across this but maybe not quite what you were thinking of.

https://www.vogue.co.uk/fashion/article/rental-skiwear

There seem a few other places that rent out ski clothing and accessories that are not in the article above but mainly catering to the school market. But it may be harder to find a one-stop shop for everything these days?

That's pretty interesting, thank you!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What makes a big difference to our packing is when we can do a laundry wash/dry after 3-4 days. Now, this may not be your idea of a holiday, but it is one of the upsides of many self-catering places. It significantly reduces the amount of clothing you have to take with you. Obviously, this still leaves the jacket and salopettes to be packed and I do wonder if ski hire shops might not branch out into renting these too, more as a discriminator vs their competitors than as a source of revenue. They'd have to dry-clean clothing in a way you don't have to with equipment, which would dent any profits.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
LaForet wrote:
They'd have to dry-clean clothing in a way you don't have to with equipment, which would dent any profits.

Maybe that's why they don't do it?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I rented some clothes the first couple of times I went skiing in the late 1980s. From the local sports shop in suburban London.
No idea about now.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
greengriff wrote:
Not exactly in the realms of dreaming of sharing a hot tub with the ladies' slalom team, but there you go.

Can we not run with that one? Sounds much more exciting! Now where's the soap? snowHead snowHead
latest report
That's no good, they are training to avoid poles.
snow report
Orange200 wrote:
That's no good, they are training to avoid poles.

Comedy drum roll
snow report
luigi wrote:
greengriff wrote:
Not exactly in the realms of dreaming of sharing a hot tub with the ladies' slalom team, but there you go.

Can we not run with that one? Sounds much more exciting! Now where's the soap? snowHead snowHead

Or Chemmy, Julia and Janette?

https://www.idnes.cz/zpravy/revue/spolecnost/blunt-se-ucil-lyzovat-sjezdarky-to-rozjely-ve-virivce.A080407_120813_lidicky_ptp/foto/PTP223f7b_Mancuso_Alcott_Hargin.jpg
ski holidays
halfhand wrote:
luigi wrote:
greengriff wrote:

Or Chemmy, Julia and Janette?

https://www.idnes.cz/zpravy/revue/spolecnost/blunt-se-ucil-lyzovat-sjezdarky-to-rozjely-ve-virivce.A080407_120813_lidicky_ptp/foto/PTP223f7b_Mancuso_Alcott_Hargin.jpg

If only Carlsberg made hot tubs! Laughing
snow report
Quote:
If you have 100 people in Canada turn up for a week's skiing, you're pretty much guaranteed that someone will not have their gear. Smart people carry their boots and underwear in the cabin, but most will end up borrowing at least all their outer gear
All?? Who are these fashion victims who don't wear their ski jacket to go on a ski holiday? (The same ones who need to take 20kg of luggage on the trip wink )
latest report
I recall that Titlis Sport at the bottom of the main lifts out of Engelberg used to rent out jackets and trousers, and possibly some other clothing items, but I don't think they did base and mid layers. TBF their market was mostly tourists on foot going up to the glacier 2000m higher, and therefore up to 20 deg cooler, who were often woefully equipped, but we (the ski school I worked with) also used to run 'ski experience' sessions with them, basically getting a group of (usually) Asian tourists to be able to do a couple of glide/ploughs on a baby slope with moving carpet, so I guess they must also have had gloves and ski socks at the very least.

So yeah, it's a thing in some places, but no idea if it's normal or common everywhere.

Of course, there's nothing to stop you just skiing in your underpants, if that's you're thing wink
latest report
Chaletbeauroc wrote:

Of course, there's nothing to stop you just skiing in your underpants, if that's you're thing wink

I don't have the figure for it, if you know what I mean? Especially in the cold!!!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy