Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help me find a helmet, with photochromic visor and MIPS

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello people,
Perhaps you can help.

I'm looking to get my first proper helmet, A visor is a must for me (wear glasses) and ideally a photochromic one. I also care about safety (as a noob to ski) and would like MIPS or an equivalent.
Speaking of safety I was surprised to see that even premium helmets only conform to the CE-EN 1077 class B standard (some rare ones comply with A).

Happy to order online from Europe but worry about Brexit taxes and returns, if anyone has recommendations of specific helmets/sites I'd be grateful. Looking to spend less than £200 if possible (probably not ;(

Thanks again, you guys are an awesome community.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
https://www.snowleader.co.uk/en/driver-pro-sigma-mips-black-SALO07098.html
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would buy one in resort where you have chance to try a few on.

That said - the Salomon one posted above by @Gored would be my choice (and if you spend a bit more they also do one with a photo chromatic lens )
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yeah I guess the Salmon are probably my best bet - especially as one of the very few brands I managed to try for fit and it was pretty good.
I wish there was more range in actual shops in the UK, being based in London (and willing to travel!) the retail choice is tiny.

Frankly other than Snow + Rock I didn't find any half decent places (in terms or range of brands/sizes etc).

PS
I would guess that buying gear at resorts would be more expensive than the internet?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not really. Buying in Canada was about the same as snow and rock and they had far more selection in Dec 22. I think they had about 75 helmets on display and most in stock. Mainly Scott, Giro, Pod and Oakley.

I think Norway was much the same pre covid - slightly smaller at about 25 helmets.

Can’t comment on other places - the key thing is to get the right size and Preferably one with detachable ear flaps as they tend to be what causes irritation or bad fit with the ears.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I would say yes. You can hunt out bargains online, while in resort that can be more difficult. Does the shop sell a particular brand? is it in stock? do they have your size, etc.
Seems the link above is now out of stock Confused
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The correct helmet is one that fits, then come the other considerations. A MIPS helmet that doesn’t fit properly, will perform worse in an impact than one doesn’t have MIPS but fits. By fits I mean it’s comfortable, and you can adjust the helmet so that it stays on your head without the chin strap being done up. To test, adjust the helmet, then shake your head vigorously, and bend over to touch your toes. If the helmet moves, or falls off, it’s the wrong helmet. If it only stays on with the chin strap done up, it’s either badly adjusted or doesn’t fit. The chin strap is there to stop the helmet coming off during the impact, and should be done up so that you can feel it when you talk. If you can get more than 2 fingers under the tightened chin strap it’s too loose, and if you can remove the helmet without undoing the chin strap it’s pretty pointless wearing it.

Personally, I would only order online if I knew the helmet already fitted, either from trying on in a shop, or from already owning that model, and buying a replacement. You may also find that helmets, being safety equipment, have limited returns options, as the seller has no idea what has happened to the helmet before it was returned.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Having bought a visor helmet to fit over my glasses last year I would never buy without trying on first. Only one in the shop fit both my head and over my glasses! I was surprised that some wouldn't fit over the glasses comfortably....I thought they would all be good for that at least. I ended up with a Cebe and can vouch for the quality of the photochromic lens but you really need to go and try a bunch on to make sure it's right for you.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks people, I hear you
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@BlueJoy, I feel your pain. My helmet is falling apart and my googles have a crack in them, but even in resort I can't find anything that is compatible. If they have the goggles in one shop, they don't have the helmet or they don't have my size in the one I want to try.
There's a huge equipment fair across the road from me today, and I can't even go and look at the huge selection of Bollé helmets and googles as I am not a 'ski professional'. I understood that I couldn't buy anything, but couldn't even just look at them.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
So we went along to the ski shops in Chantemerle a couple of days ago. I tried on some helmets and separate goggles, but the best combination was a Bollé V-ryft Pure with photochromic Blue mirror lens. They also do a MIPS version. Not worn in bad weather yet, but lens lightens quickly when going from bright sun to dark shadow.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy