Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Courchevel - ski gear theft awareness 2023

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just returned from a brilliant week in 3V, that was spoilt a bit on the last day by my husbands skis & poles being stolen. Stockli Laser CX skis and lecki poles. (Lecki poles were the clip type, so if was a genuine error they would have noticed immediately). Left for 3 mins within 10 metres of me stood waiting!
Location was the ESF office/toilets near Ariondaz lift (Moriond).
We quickly hired new to ensure did not ruin the beautiful day, but when reporting to the police we were told ‘it is a major problem this year’ and was told later by chalet hosts that previous weeks guests also had a theft.
Maybe just worth bearing in mind if you are going out in the next few weeks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks for the heads up. I saw your post on La Tania Seasonaires on Facebook and it certainly isn't the first theft on there this year. It's always been more of a problem than the average punter realises in both Courchevel and Meribel but I've been surprised how much theft has been posted already this year. Several jackets going in pubs as well as skis.

If yours were stolen from where I think, it's super easy to just pick them up and go straight down the escalator and on a bus. I often lock mine up to those racks if I go over to the bakery for lunch, maybe I won't this year. I lock them up as a deterrent but the cable could be easily enough cut with some good pliers if someone's just watched me walk away.

I assume you went to the police for a report so you could claim on insurance. Out of interest, did the police insist on you knowing the serial number of the skis or is that an urban myth?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Raceplate,
Quote:

I lock them up as a deterrent but the cable could be easily enough cut with some good pliers

Yep - me too. Although this year I was mostly precious about my shiny new poles, which are a somewhat trendy brand I am told and fluo yellow, so quite shiny shiny).

My rational is (said it before) three fold. It stops idiots who have no idea what they are skiing on, it must slightly deter the random thief, and it lets me truthfully declare to my insurance that they were secured.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Raceplate you are spot on with the location, I also noted there are lockers just around to corner as well so they could have been quickly stashed away.
Police were not massively helpful, understandably in a way, as whilst I was in completing the form - 2 other people came in to report their equipment thefts. They must spend their day just dealing with the same.
Form did ask for ski serial number but I just put TBC and it was not questioned.

One other note of caution - when I checked our ‘premium’ travel insurance it did say hire equipment was not covered! These were our own skis so not relevant, but that would mean separate insurance would be required if hiring equipment.

Just want people to be aware so that they can be extra careful.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy