Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

snowplough vs pizza slice

Poster: A snowHead
Sorry but since when exactly do ski instructors talk about "pizza slices" rather than snowploughs? My kids recently started learning and I now hear of this new terminology.

Wtf was wrong with the term "snowplough"? Was it not "diverse" enough and offended someone???

Talk of pizzas should end here right now. Laughing
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I like it. Something the kids can relate to when they have no idea what a snow plough is. Appreciate it may blow your and other peoples' minds though. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Very Happy

Yuuuummm, pizza Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pizza slice and fries is more relatable to a child compared with snow plough and parallel Puzzled
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Pyramus, 'Merica, innit. Madeye-Smiley

http://youtube.com/v/lJjDovqcieg
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Pizza slices, Julian, not chips!

http://youtube.com/v/q37Gp0xge74

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 20-01-23 10:35; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Pyramus, they're probably on commission for every group they take into the mountain pizza emporium. What next? Tartiflette Turn? Fondue Flop? Diot Idiot Incursion*?

* off pister suddenly rejoins piste without looking up or down the piste
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes, I do sometimes use pizza and fries/chips for British or US-influenced kids, who have grown up with the concept that a pizza is something that comes in wedge-shaped slices. Couple that with the fact that many of them would never have encountered a snowplough, so that terminology would be alien.

I don't like it myself, but if it works then why not?

Many Europeans, and particularly adults, are much more used to pizzas being circular, and are also likely to be more aware of snowploughs (from driving) so I find that plough/parallel often works better for them. Younger kids often don't know what parallel means, so it's better to use the much simpler analogy they can get their heads round.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 20-01-23 10:35; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
All this dumbing down of terminology is doing no-one any good.

If they had to change why not “slice of flan” and “julienne of carrot”?

Surely as relatable?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Alastair Pink, love it. Never heard the terms used for skiing before, but I can see why it works.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
They have square microwave pizzas here in Sweden so that would definitely mess the kids up...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
When was the last time you saw a wedge shaped snowplough?? They're nearly all straight, angled blades these days.

Pizza / fries has been around for as long as I can remember.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 20-01-23 15:47; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ster wrote:
“slice of flan”

Come on...who under 60 has ever made a flan...? Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Personally I think it was a retrograde step when they dropped the term "stem christie"..... Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Was it not "diverse" enough and offended someone???

Well, it seems to have now. Come and take up snowboarding; its less rage-inducing, and if you find you're 'pizzaing' something has gone very wrong indeed.
snow report
PeakyB wrote:
@Pyramus, they're probably on commission for every group they take into the mountain pizza emporium. What next? Tartiflette Turn? Fondue Flop? Diot Idiot Incursion*?

* off pister suddenly rejoins piste without looking up or down the piste
Laughing

I've certainly made a complete dog's dinner of some piste or other manoeuvre over the years. Embarassed
ski holidays
Pizza is not only used in skiing, on dive rescue courses the "victim" shouts PIZZA! to be rescued rather than HELP! so as not to alert the actual rescue services of other divers nearby.
ski holidays
@prometheus, does that not cause confusion to aquatic pizza delivery services though?
ski holidays
ster wrote:
All this dumbing down of terminology is doing no-one any good.

If they had to change why not “slice of flan” and “julienne of carrot”?

Surely as relatable?

Yes exactly!! Laughing

Seems like US terminology on this has become global which is unfortunate.

How about a European version? "Slice of sachertorte" and "Mille Feuille"
snow report
Dashed wrote:

Pizza / fries has been around for as long as I can remember.

I first heard the terms "Pizza slice" and "French Fries" about 25 years ago.

I'm with Alister Pink - bring back Stem Christie. Toofy Grin

Then of course there is the "Royal Christie": https://www.allenrsmith.com/How%20to%20Do%20a%20Royal%20Christie%20on%20Skis.pdf
snow conditions
I like having the Stem Christie in the tool bag, too. Not used often - but can get me out of jail.
snow report
@Alastair Pink,
Quote:

Personally I think it was a retrograde step when they dropped the term "stem christie"

Didn't know it had been dropped. Who had the authority to? Puzzled
latest report
I use this all the time.

Pizza = ploughing
Chips = parallel.

Pizza chips etc. kids get it.

Plough , parallel. WTF

It could mean parallel to me or to the hill or skis. Chips = chips Happy

Grabs popcorn and other food ready for a bun fight Happy
snow report
@Richard_Sideways, surely you do hot dogging.
snow conditions
Quote:

Come and take up snowboarding; its less rage-inducing, and if you find you're 'pizzaing' something has gone very wrong indeed

Ploughing the M1 through the mashed potato then Wink
ski holidays
@GlasgowCyclops, hot dogging? Sounds more like a skier pastime.

speaking of which - wft is a Stem Christie? Or a Royal Christie? Sounds like something sickly you order in shots at the bar.
latest report
Legend. wrote:
ster wrote:
“slice of flan”

Come on...who under 60 has ever made a flan...? Laughing

Depends, do you mean flan (scambled eggs in a pastry tray) or, assuming France, flan (a custard tart with enough gelatine to use as a building material)? If the latter the last one I had was made as a long thing 'tube' and cut into rectangular slices...

And never mind the pizza/french fries thing, hop from France to Austria and you'll hear ski instructors shouting "fighters" and "bombers" at their little ski school trains. A true double-take moment the first time we heard that one Smile
snow conditions
Quote:

"fighters" and "bombers"

yeah but.... which is which?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Richard_Sideways wrote:
@GlasgowCyclops, hot dogging? Sounds more like a skier pastime.

speaking of which - wft is a Stem Christie? Or a Royal Christie? Sounds like something sickly you order in shots at the bar.

Don't worry about it, as Sondre Norheim knew nothing about new fangled Snowboards, which only appeared 100 years later. Toofy Grin
snow report
When I first heard "pizza" and "fries" used in skiing (2 years ago) I thought the instructor was asking the child what they wanted for dinner.

These terms are very confusing especially for English children who are properly wondering what "fries" are. When did that term start being used for spaghetti?
ski holidays
Quote:

These terms are very confusing especially for English children who are properly wondering what "fries" are.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
I thought "pizza slice" was a massive improvement.

The "snow plough" word was just like that "stem christie" type speak, something from ancient times which oldsters banged on about. It smelt bad and was something to get away from as quickly as possible, like boy scout leaders.

The US people used to call wedge turns... wedge turns, which I also thought was a more sensible name.

I'm not sure what percentage of snow ploughs push snow both ways, but most of them I encounter are at a single angle of attack.
snow report
Quote:

These terms are very confusing especially for English children who are properly wondering what "fries" are

I feel like most kids know what fries are tbh. Especially as both are used in the UK now, fries being the thin ones like you get at McDonalds or with Steak Frites, and chips being the chunkier ones which are more traditional in the UK.
snow report
Mjit wrote:
Austria and you'll hear ski instructors shouting "fighters" and "bombers" at their little ski school trains. A true double-take moment the first time we heard that one Smile

Ah-ha....the good old Vulcan bomber!! 100% going to get the kids into this terminology. Who needs pizza when you can shout "vulcan bomber!" at the little snotty nosed brats!
snow conditions
Quote:

I'm not sure what percentage of snow ploughs push snow both ways

Snow ploughs on trains push both ways, road ploughs only push to the left (or right in countries who drive on the wrong side) so they don't just push it onto the other side of the road or shower snow onto oncoming traffic
snow conditions
Yeah! Pizza NehNeh
ith Nduga Toofy Grin
latest report
Language excludes, I know what I want you to do , I just need to put it into words you understand.
snow report
@Legend., butbutbut... bombers traditionally fly in line astern formation to put bombs on target, while fighters fly in v-formation...
ski holidays
NBH wrote:
Pizza slice and fries is more relatable to a child compared with snow plough and parallel Puzzled

Pizza and chips made a massive difference in understanding to our youngest this year.

It also proved a good incentive to get him down an icy Folyeres for lunch!
latest report
I still use the term stem christie. In fact I'm a sod for doing it after a long day and my weaker leg is knackered on a steep bit! And I totally get pizza and chips.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy