Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Route from Caen to La Plagne?

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone with experience of both routes from Caen to La Plagne (or close) on a Saturday, please advise which is preferrable? The two routes we are considering are via Paris (Versailles) or Tours/Le Man etc. The latter is coming up with being and hour slower. We are travelling the route on Saturday 28th january. Ferry docks at Caen at 06.45.

Thanks for any advice.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've only done Paris and the A6, and that was a while ago. I'd be inclined to check google maps and viamichelin on the morning, and go with their recommendation. But put your point of departure at Ouistreham, not Caen.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We have done the drive from Caen to the tarentaise several times and have tried both the routes you mention.

The time we went round the edge of Paris was a few days before Christmas during evening rush hour (we had taken the 8am ferry) and it was quite stressful. We both said never again and have done the Le Mans/Tours route ever since. Nevertheless our experiences have been during school holidays when the ferries and roads have been busier than the time you are travelling.

If you are doing the whole journey from Caen to the Alps in a day on an off peak day I would probably be tempted to take the quickest option as if the ferry docks at 6:45, allowing time to disembark and go through passports it might be 7:30 before you are on the open road. As you will be going round Paris on a Saturday morning it shouldn't be too busy.

I hope you enjoy the ferry crossing.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
On a Saturday morning, out of school holidays, the shortest route via Paris will be the fastest! It is also quite a bit cheaper (tolls are lower on the A13 and A16 than around Tours, Bourges, etc.), and you reduce the risk of running into bad weather on the Clermont-Lyon section which climbs above 800m.
Around Paris, you mentioned going via Versailles: it is the right option but do not be tricked by your GPS into taking the expensive A86 tunnel. Turn right a few km before on the A12, which has signs to Lyon.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes via Versailles is better but It will be busy on Saturday. Be careful about the weather as the Parisians are not geared up for snow even if that is unlikely it did snow this week.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The north of France grinds to a halt in snow, just like the UK. Naturally enough - it makes no sense to invest in hundreds of snow ploughs which stand idle 9 years out of 10.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
i will be taking this ferry at Easter (first time going this route), going to 3v's, arriving in Caen at 6:45 am so will be taking the Paris route as will manage to avoid the morning rush hour around Paris.

must admit i was confused by @snowymum reply, as i could not work out how they were near Paris during evening rush hour after an 8am ferry, but am assuming the ferry departed Portsmouth at 8am not arriving in Caen
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thank you all. Sounds like Paris route will be a good bet, but I will check both routes before leaving ferry incase of incidents. Long range forecast looks good for the day and no snow forecast!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@terrygasson, yes I meant that we left Portsmouth at 8ish in the morning on that occasion and reached Caen in the afternoon.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Not sure if this will be an issue, but parts of the Paris route have height limits, which are not well signed. Just in case you've got van/roofbox etc may be worth checking.

Certainly resulted in a very hasty exit up slip when we were towing caravan Embarassed

EDIT - a quick google suggests 2m height restrictions in places https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A86_autoroute
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Don't forget that if you should happen to need to come inside the A86 perimeter, you will need a Crit'Air sticker and any vehicle over Crit'Air 3 is banned.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think crit’air might be needed for parts of Lyon too which is on the other route via tours
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You will need the Crit’Air if you’re going through Lyon, but if you’re coming in from Paris, you’ll be better off going round the outside (it’s kind of a ring road with linked-up bits of motorways). Just follow the signs for the airport & you’ll be fine. In fact, we come from the Clermont-Ferrand direction & I still think it’s the best option (& usually a bit quicker. Always easier!). Just did it a few hours ago, actually Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

arriving in Caen at 6:45 am so will be taking the Paris route as will manage to avoid the morning rush hour around Paris.

Hmm. Hopefully. The last time I did that route was late, and we went round the périph (in the wrong direction because I didn't read the signs fast enough) with lots of big trucks carrying live birds - geese etc. I think the "ring road" arrangement has improved a lot since that day. I did it really late at night once and there was so much road works I got totally bamboozled and stopped to look at the map. A car which had been following me stopped behind me and I felt slightly uncomfortable (wasn't alone, had hubby in the car). A French man came up and was disconcerted to see me looking at the map - he said he'd been following me because I seemed to know where I was going. Laughing We looked at the map together and sorted it out. That was back in the day when P&O did the western channel crossings and I went free with Tesco Clubcard points. I now much prefer the tunnel - those long ferry crossings are tiring, and I never got much sleep, being turfed out of the cabin too early.
snow conditions
@Boris, thanks for the heads up, i will have a roof box, so just looked up the route to avoid the tunnel,
not much difference in journey.
looks like from the A13, it is A12 (south), N12 (east) then on to the A86 just after the tunnel exit, then in reverse on way home.

@pam w, I have done several overnight crossings from Portsmouth on Brittany ferries, fortunately I go out like a light as soon as my head hits the pillow, and enjoy the early breakfast before hitting the road.

@Richard_Sideways, cheers, i have a crit'air1 sticker already as i needed it for Paris in December.

it is the first time driving to the alps via the Portsmouth-Caen ferry for me, crossing Thursday night then stopping in Albertville fri eve before heading up to VT early sat morning.

normally go via the tunnel but i thought i would give it a try this time, we will be leaving from Bath so it saves about 1 1/2 hours uk driving time, and the m25 section Toofy Grin

last time we left on the Thursday eve, it was an overnight stop around st quentin then a leisurely trip to Albertville for early friday eve, though the ferry is more expensive we are saving on the first night hotel and a bit of fuel from the uk mileage.
snow report
Quote:

fortunately I go out like a light as soon as my head hits the pillow

Lucky old yu! I do envy that. I really couldn't be bothered to spend 3 nights en route to the Alps. Brittany Ferries seems to have become very expensive. I gave a friend who went over as a foot passenger a lift to an from Portsmouth ferry port the other day (it's very close to home) and even the foot passenger return cost something like £100.
latest report
Thanks for al the replies! We are just the 3 of us this time so taking a diesel Golf so no worries about height in tunnel but have heard it is expensive. Too expensive to make the detour worth it, or should we just plough on through it? We don't have a Crit air for this car as I didn't see any part of that route needing one? We live in North Devon, so travelling all the way to the tunnel is quite frankly out of the question. Ferry only £475 with cabin. I prefer to do my miles in France! We sleep well on the ferry (well practised) and are happy to bomb to the Alps in the day arriving around 6.30pm.

I do remember from years ago, getting the route rather spectacularly wrong around Lyon so am nervous about that bit!!
ski holidays
One other question slightly off topic, does anyone know diesel price per litre in France atm? Just wondering whether to wait to fill up over there or here at 163.9p. Thank you
ski holidays
https://www.prix-carburants.gouv.fr/
viamichelin.fr also gives fuel prices if you click on the fuel pump.
latest report
Leclerc Reims-Champfleury is showing diesel at eur 1.90 which is about £1.68
latest report
@Fortheloveofloubee, There are parts of Lyon and Chamberry where the Crit'air is required, although possible not if on motorway. For a few euros I just got it to be on safe side.

Traversing Lyon is a lot easier now with the new bypass - but certainly used to be very easy to get lost or going the wrong way
ski holidays
Fortheloveofloubee wrote:
We are just the 3 of us this time so taking a diesel Golf so no worries about height in tunnel but have heard it is expensive.

There are currently 3 prices/tickets. Standard, Standard Refundable and Flexiplus. Advertised start from prices one way are £104, £144 and £269 respectively. I always buy standard. Paid £150 out and £139 in at Christmas. You will see much debate on here as to whether Flexiplus is worth it or not. We are pretty confident and accurate with our timings so don't need the flexibility but if there are problems with the tunnel or you travel at a busy times or want/need that Flexi then obviously that is what you pay for. When working well it's super slick IME and a good time saver.

Fortheloveofloubee wrote:
We don't have a Crit air for this car as I didn't see any part of that route needing one?

We've never bought one because, I am not sure that many French do either but it doesn't cost much so I get the argument why not.
snow report
@Layne, i think @Fortheloveofloubee, may be talking about the tunnel on the A86 near paris that has a 2m height limit, as they are coming from Caen, and @boris pointed out earlier in the thread regarding this.
there is a toll fee of over 13euros for the 10km tunnel section

though i may be wrong about this and they could be talking about the chunnel!!

it was also helpful for me as i will be taking this route at easter with a roofbox, so will need to avoid the tunnel, though it seems fairly straightfoward
ski holidays
@terrygasson, yes, I was talking about the A86 tunnel.
ski holidays
Did overnight from Caen the Le Mans - Bourges - Macon route a few years ago. It was incredibly quiet and easy. We did a quick double check on google maps upon landing and the time difference was reduced due to traffic round Paris on that peak half term morning.

I enjoy the overnight ferry and sleep well so, jump off the ferry early, hit the road and get a couple of hours down the road for breakfast (although one thing to factor in is the French don't exactly exert themselves at passport control to let you in post-brexit).
snow conditions
Doing the exact same journey on Friday 10th, have done it several times before and have fallen foul of the A86 duplex height limit in the past.

As you say come off 2 junctions earlier onto the A12,N12 then uncovered A86 to A6 works a treat. It's signposted Lyon but SatNav may want to take you on the Duplex
snow report
Doing similar route as others here on Fri 10th too, albeit heading down from Dieppe and stopping in Lyon before heading to Tignes for the half term week. Looked at the tunnel option, and according to Vinci Autoroutes, on Friday evening it should be E4.80 to use the A86 tunnel as I have the Telepeage tag. But as has been pointed out, its not exactly a big detour to go via the A12.

I have a sneaky suspicion that MiniCF will request the tunnel option as a novelty, and we're not going that way North at the end of the break, staying further West out at Chartres.

I'm interested to hear of peoples opinions about getting up the valley to Tignes on half term Saturday - its our first visit, so I am expecting significant traffic issues from Chambery. Nowt we can do about it though. rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Checkflaps wrote:
I'm interested to hear of peoples opinions about getting up the valley to Tignes on half term Saturday

What do you want to know?

Earlier the better basically although from my only experience last year it was still OKish mid-morning but by late afternoon is extremely busy with miles of tailbacks (judged on driving out the next Saturday when it's still French hols).
ski holidays
Thanks @Layne, I kinda figured earlier the better - but not ideal as getting to Lyon at probably midnight Friday (depending on efficiency of the Douane at Dieppe Puzzled ). I'm hoping for a 'quiet' drive to Tignes and getting a few runs in on the free pistes to get our legs going around lunchtime, before getting let into the digs later in the afternoon.

I guess it'll just be a case of wait and see - and hope the weather plays ball too snowHead
snow conditions
@Checkflaps, so you will be driving in when?
snow conditions
Quote:

I am expecting significant traffic issues from Chambery

Yep - good to expect it and again nothing you can do about it but don't under estimate the time it can take

When the traffic gets heavy they turn on the traffic control traffic lights at Moutiers and really not unusual to have crawling traffic back to Chambery can take hours.

Best advice is to set off really early, try to get to Moutiers by 10am, will give you the best chance of a few runs on the first Saturday.

Leaving later may mean you won't get into resort until after the lifts have shut
ski holidays
@jonathancarty, "Best advice is to set off really early, try to get to Moutiers by 10am, will give you the best chance of a few runs on the first Saturday."

The aggregated snowHead target would appear to be 8:00am Moutiers (both going in or out of valley) that would help you not add to the crush, along with feeling just a little smug sat in your destination ski area with a good coffee/croissant with the day spread out in front of you Very Happy
snow report
Fair enough Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
I like the snowHead thinking - I hope my body will be willing, Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy