Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New custom made ski boots- disaster

Poster: A snowHead
Currently sitting in a cafe very upset as unable to ski in new super expensive boots. Much needed holiday as break from NHS front line and first time in 15 years skiing without kids. I’m a bit tearful so bear with me!

Background. I broke my ankle in my 20s. I ended up with a large osteochondral defect and had a micro fracture operation about 10 years ago in attempt to grow new cartilage. It worked a bit but I still can’t run, or do anything that involves weight through ankle eg tennis. But I have been able to ski, because the boots hold my ankle solid. I am a reasonably good skier now- happy to ski fast on reds and blacks but don’t like moguls and off piste. I live for my ski holidays (don’t we all )

I was skiing in boots that I bought in meribel 20 years ago. It turns out they were too big- I ended up with black toenails where my feet moved and touched the end. BUT I could ski and my ankle didn’t hurt.
It was time for new boots. I went to solutions for feet who were excellent (and i recommend on my doctor FB ski group all the time). I don’t think I saw Colin but the chap I saw was great. He told me I’d been skiing in a size too big boots.
He spent 2 hours doing an assessment and basically came to the conclusion that they were not any boots that would work. It would all be a compromise. I have little forefoot flexion and a bad and wide ankle. He sent me to Daleboot. It took me a year to get round to it but I got my boots last week.
There is far too much room in the back of the boot so I can rotate my ankle side to side with the boot on. Is this normal? On skiing I feel I am taking the weight of the turn through my ankle and it hurts like hell. This was the joy of skiing before- I actually didn’t limp in the day after skiing unlike a day walking! If I do the boots up tighter I lose all feeling in my toes/pins and needles and also can’t ski. There are only 3 buckles- one on forefoot , one ankle, one calf.
I have texted Richard but I’m worried it can’t be fixed because of where the buckles are.
Trying to work out how to rescue a very expensive holiday and how I can rent ski boots with my stupid ankle. Of course I didn’t bring my old ones which would have been sensible. I am struggling on green slopes. It doesn’t help that it’s a white out!
Any advice?
Hoping Colin might see this…
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Snowysarah, Yikes. That doesn't sound at all correct. Not at all. Where are you? The snowHead collective is quite likely to be able to recommend somewhere to hire good boots ...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Snowysarah, Did you end up in St Anton? If so the best boot fitters are at Jennewein opposite the Galzig lift station. If you ask on the St Anton thread someone will tell you the best person to ask for (from memory an American).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The American guy at Jennwein is Jeff, but the other two fitters who work there (Mattias and Roland, I think) are very good as well. I would have no objection to seeing any of them.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
munich_irish wrote:
@Snowysarah, Did you end up in St Anton? If so the best boot fitters are at Jennewein opposite the Galzig lift station. If you ask on the St Anton thread someone will tell you the best person to ask for (from memory an American).
no we are in Val d’isere. There is actually too much snow but hopefully storm will pass by Tues !
Feeling very glum at mo
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Recommendations for good fitters in Val d’isere would be fab!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Snowysarah, certainly doesn't sound right, the one area that a ski boot should be really firm is around the ankle, as to what is going on in your boots the onyl way to tell is to see them, not a lot of help from here i am afraid, it may be a fitter out there can add some padding around the ankle as a temporary fix until you can get back to see richard

where are you? we might know someone who can help
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Snowysarah, that sounds truly miserable and entirely echoes the experience of a friend who came out to ski with me in my apartment some years ago. The Daleboots were a complete disaster, she was in tears trying to ski in them (and she is not a wimp).

I think the moral of the story is that if Solutions for Feet tell you that there are no ski boots which are going to be a good fit, they are right. Sad Sad Sad It seems that Daleboots might not have the same level of integrity.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@CEM, she's in Val D'Isere
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
@Snowysarah, that sounds truly miserable and entirely echoes the experience of a friend who came out to ski with me in my apartment some years ago. The Daleboots were a complete disaster, she was in tears trying to ski in them (and she is not a wimp).

I think the moral of the story is that if Solutions for Feet tell you that there are no ski boots which are going to be a good fit, they are right. Sad Sad Sad It seems that Daleboots might not have the same level of integrity.

Solutions for feet sent me to daleboot! I was better off with my older too big boots. There is hope though that some extra padding could be added around the ankle
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@pam w, for the most part Daleboot works for those people with the ankle injuries that cant be fitted in a conventional shell, there are limitations in all boots and every person reacts differently in every different fit
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@SnowysarahAsk for mark in Surefoot . He won’t sell you anything that will not work .
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Snowysarah, ok so in Val, try the guys at Mattis sports, but any decent boot fitter should be able to put an ankle wrap onto the liner to give some security and buckles can be moved if not easily by re riveting... just don't fall into the you need another boot line that a number of places might try, Richard will get you sorted when you are back i am sure
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Snowysarah, for some reason i can't message you
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Snowysarah, you might try to contact @Steve Angus, who hosts the Val'd I thread here. he is a ski instructor who lives there (and has for many years) he will know everyone there and maybe can point you in the right direction
ski holidays
@Snowysarah, if you are in resort - which I think you are - just hire boots from someone who stocks the make of boot you were skiing in…and send the invoice to Daleboots. CEM’s advice of course is good, but just going back to a conventional boot would be a good backstop right now. I have helped someone with a dropped foot after surgery, not the same injury of course, but we got there using normal boots. I used a Full Tilt for the first time this Christmas and they created terrible pain instantly in my own injured side….straight back to my old Lange boots and suddenly everything was fine.
snow conditions
@Snowysarah, Follow what CEM is saying, we are out in the Alps now and had a problem with my wife's feet/ankles/boots (she has previously damaged both ankles) and phoned CEM for advice and did what he said and she now has a pair of boots that enable her to get them on with no pain or tears !
ski holidays
Bootfitters in VDI

1. Mark@Surefoot (as mentioned)
2. Bruno@Killy Sports
3. Yannik@Mountain Pro
4. Greg@Intersport Borasso
latest report
Sorry to hear your troubles & wish I could help, the only suggestion I could throw into the pot is trying to hire the new rear entry boots but you may have tried them already. Best of luck.
snow conditions
Another possible option - if you can make it to Tignes Val Claret, is Michel Richermoz of Sportski 1 (near Hotel Curling). He is an independent Bootfitter who highlights that he sorts out awkward feet.
https://sportski2100.com/la-galerie-des-horreurs/
snow report
I really feel your pain. I broke my ankle (tib, fib) and have a plate and 9 pins inside and out with very little flexion. I had boots already and ended up having them remolded, blown and eventually a hole cut out the liner round the exterior ankle bobbly bit on the bone. This sufficed for 8 years but I had the same toe problem (I work seasons and lost my big toenail every season) and also had ankle pain in powder and slush (presume due to not being able to flex into the 'hole.')

Anyway this year I bought new boots (mine were 15 years old) and was in tears 3 days in a row back and forth trying to ski it out. It was horrific pain and my tolerance is quite high. Like you I was told previous boots too big- my new ones were almost too small imv. Anyway shell blown, linen stretched and insoles removed they are now okay.

I don't know about daleboots but I know about my own shattered ankle and there is no way your ankle should be moving like that (side to side) in your new boots. Realistically you need to go back to the drawing board but you are on a weeks holiday not a season. Laboshop in Bourg saint maurice and ski set in Saint foy could potentially help but sound too far- sorry don't know about VdI) you but as time is limited and you want to save your holiday my suggestions are:

- just for this week- hire a pair that lock your ankle in for a start- even if they are 'too big' in other places (bruised toes are tolerable, ankle issues less so)- go to the hire shop around 11 or 2/3 when they're not busy and explain the issue. Write off this afternoon to try to get it sorted just for this week.

- inner soles /footbeds /ankle 'padding' /raising your heel may help a lot. Speak to a hire shop that also sells. Where are you staying?

You are probably better off trying to hire rather than make the daleboots work. In future, the things they can do now with shells and liners/ footbeds like Sida5s I am not convinced you can't have a 'normal' skiboot..

Good luck, try to hire this week and also don't lose heart as conditions today/tomo are challenging to skiers who aren't even in pain. Try to get it sorted by weds when weather clears and take it from there.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 16-01-23 16:45; edited 2 times in total
latest report
@Snowysarah, can you use CEM advice and add tape to outside of lining around heal "gap" areas to pack out for location and then try them with the buckles set looser/normal ?

Use duct tape and then it can be removed when you get back to further investigate. Just build up multiple layers to suit and try them on to add or reduce tape to improve heal location.
snow report
In the past I’ve successfully used Sidas Butterfly ankle volume reducers to stop heel movement in my boots.
ski holidays
Thanks all for advice. I really appreciate it. I can get my old ski boots couriered out on wed for £60 so that’s my back up
Is it normal to have bruises on shins from new ski boots? I feel not. Maybe I’ve been compensating for ankle movement by doing too tight but it’s a a bruise in a particular place.
Colin- will he be able to adjust enough to create the stability?
I also am not convinced I needed custom made boots based on this so have basically chucked away £1000 plus the holiday where I cant ski.
latest report
Am also wondering why there is so much room if custom made?
latest report
@CEM,
I’m not sure why. I had an appointment with Keith on 9th feb 2022. Sarah Anna griffiths is email (gmail)
ski holidays
Austrian Seagull wrote:
In the past I’ve successfully used Sidas Butterfly ankle volume reducers to stop heel movement in my boots.

I will look into these out here
latest report
julietp wrote:
I really feel your pain. I broke my ankle (tib, fib) and have a plate and 9 pins inside and out with very little flexion. I had boots already and ended up having them remolded, blown and eventually a hole cut out the liner round the exterior ankle bobbly bit on the bone. This sufficed for 8 years but I had the same toe problem (I work seasons and lost my big toenail every season) and also had ankle pain in powder and slush (presume due to not being able to flex into the 'hole.')

Anyway this year I bought new boots (mine were 15 years old) and was in tears 3 days in a row back and forth trying to ski it out. It was horrific pain and my tolerance is quite high. Like you I was told previous boots too big- my new ones were almost too small imv. Anyway shell blown, linen stretched and insoles removed they are now okay.

I don't know about daleboots but I know about my own shattered ankle and there is no way your ankle should be moving like that (side to side) in your new boots. Realistically you need to go back to the drawing board but you are on a weeks holiday not a season. Laboshop in Bourg saint maurice and ski set in Saint foy could potentially help but sound too far- sorry don't know about VdI) you but as time is limited and you want to save your holiday my suggestions are:

- just for this week- hire a pair that lock your ankle in for a start- even if they are 'too big' in other places (bruised toes are tolerable, ankle issues less so)- go to the hire shop around 11 or 2/3 when they're not busy and explain the issue. Write off this afternoon to try to get it sorted just for this week.

- inner soles /footbeds /ankle 'padding' /raising your heel may help a lot. Speak to a hire shop that also sells. Where are you staying?

You are probably better off trying to hire rather than make the daleboots work. In future, the things they can do now with shells and liners/ footbeds like Sida5s I am not convinced you can't have a 'normal' skiboot..

Good luck, try to hire this week and also don't lose heart as conditions today/tomo are challenging to skiers who aren't even in pain. Try to get it sorted by weds when weather clears and take it from there.

All good suggestions thank you. I will try and find the shop Colin suggested tomorrow , see if I can hire some and also courier my boots out as a back up. Hope to have at least 2 decent days skiing ..
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Austrian Seagull wrote:

I will look into these out here
latest report
If you are getting bruises where boot top meets shin it is probably either because the flex is too high for your physical attributes/technique/ability or the cuff is too loose. My wife used to get it from using boots that were too stiff for her ability but it has stopped since she has improved. I expect it is the later for you given your leg is able to rotate in the boot. I'm guessing from how you described the buckles that they are like full tilt or dalbello panterra boots with the outer tongue rather than the more conventional overlap style? Do you think that why you can't tighten the cuff to your ankle and leg independently of the lower shell? If it is then hopefully a fitter can mod the lower so it doesn't hurt you when the cuff is tight . I have the problem of very wide feet (110 and 112) and the only way I can ski in rental boots is if I do two runs in them very tight and in pain, have a coffee and remove them for 15min. After that I can ski for 3-4 hours without much pain, just a little numbness. Perhaps try that to see if it helps with the pain until you can get them sorted out.
ski holidays
@Snowysarah, this may be a daft suggestion, and not a great alternative to whizzing downhill, but if you're somewhere with decent cross country tracks, renting that gear (soft comfy boots) and maybe having a couple of lessons might be a possibility. Snow shoeing is also enjoyable, if you have well fitting stout walking boots which can strap in the bindings. Most resorts have organised outings (often through ski schools).
snow report
You can do a LOT to take up volume/improve grip with things like this (or the Sidas versions mentioned above): https://www.sport65.de/Shop/Wintersports/Bootfitting-Equipment/BootDoc-Butterfly-heel-grip-support-black::6000:12_10_245.html or https://www.sport65.de/Shop/Wintersports/Bootfitting-Equipment/Boot-Doc-Fitting-C-heel-grip-support-black::3477:12_10_245.html . Should be available in any decent ski shop in resorts (or make your own from foam sheets).
snow report
Old Fartbag wrote:
Bootfitters in VDI

2. Bruno@Killy Sports
3. Yannik@Mountain Pro

Yes as others have said I live here year round and teach on the hill each day. The unforgiving nature of fresh snow on the feet is not pleasant... .however of the above Bruno and Greg are my 2 picks to be honest. Yannick knows his stuff for sure too! Drop me a pm if you want any more practical and direct help.
ski holidays
Old Fartbag wrote:
Bootfitters in VDI

2. Bruno@Killy Sports
3. Yannik@Mountain Pro

Yes as others have said I live here year round and teach on the hill each day. The unforgiving nature of fresh snow on the feet is not pleasant... .however of the above Bruno and Greg are my 2 picks to be honest. Yannick knows his stuff for sure too! Drop me a pm if you want any more practical and direct help.
ski holidays
Just a thought- have you spoken to Richard? He may be able to make some suggestions to a boot fitter here, especially with a video call. We’ve had Daleboots for years and now use Richard since he took over and they have solved our very awkward and difficult problems. We really rate them. I’m sure Richard would want to know you’re struggling- speak with him if you haven’t already. Best of luck.
snow report
lynnecha wrote:
Just a thought- have you spoken to Richard? He may be able to make some suggestions to a boot fitter here, especially with a video call. We’ve had Daleboots for years and now use Richard since he took over and they have solved our very awkward and difficult problems. We really rate them. I’m sure Richard would want to know you’re struggling- speak with him if you haven’t already. Best of luck.

Yes I’ve texted him and will call him tomorrow. I was a bit too upset to speak today. They were v expensive as is the holiday and I have gone from being a confident black skier to not being able to do a green. Totally lost confidence now.
I will call him tomorrow and try the boot fitters above and if all else fails, rent new ones.
snow report
clarky999 wrote:
You can do a LOT to take up volume/improve grip with things like this (or the Sidas versions mentioned above): https://www.sport65.de/Shop/Wintersports/Bootfitting-Equipment/BootDoc-Butterfly-heel-grip-support-black::6000:12_10_245.html or https://www.sport65.de/Shop/Wintersports/Bootfitting-Equipment/Boot-Doc-Fitting-C-heel-grip-support-black::3477:12_10_245.html . Should be available in any decent ski shop in resorts (or make your own from foam sheets).

Thank you
snow conditions
Glosterwolf wrote:
If you are getting bruises where boot top meets shin it is probably either because the flex is too high for your physical attributes/technique/ability or the cuff is too loose. My wife used to get it from using boots that were too stiff for her ability but it has stopped since she has improved. I expect it is the later for you given your leg is able to rotate in the boot. I'm guessing from how you described the buckles that they are like full tilt or dalbello panterra boots with the outer tongue rather than the more conventional overlap style? Do you think that why you can't tighten the cuff to your ankle and leg independently of the lower shell? If it is then hopefully a fitter can mod the lower so it doesn't hurt you when the cuff is tight . I have the problem of very wide feet (110 and 112) and the only way I can ski in rental boots is if I do two runs in them very tight and in pain, have a coffee and remove them for 15min. After that I can ski for 3-4 hours without much pain, just a little numbness. Perhaps try that to see if it helps with the pain until you can get them sorted out.

Cuff def not too loose. I suspect because my ankle can move so much I’m not skiing to my normal ability and am like a beginner again
They are overlap style but only 3 buckles - one forefoot 2 on calf p
snow conditions
Thanks all. I really appreciate your replies. Maybe all is not lost and I will ski again! X
ski holidays
@Snowysarah, good luck and I really hope you can get your boots sorted to enjoy skiing the rest of the week.

This sad tale reminds me I was in a similar boat in Val D many years ago. By day 3 of new boots disaster I just couldn’t stand the pain any more.

I’ve no idea whether this might be something you’d do, or would be able to try, given your past ankle injury. In desperation I switched to rented soft boots and a snowboard. Had a lesson to get started. Then had a ball for 3 full days, on the Madeleine for starters. Progressing to the blues above La Daille and then La Fornet. Downloading in lifts at end of each day.

On fresh snow it was wonderful. For quite a few seasons after I’d get a snowboard occasionally, after a snowfall, and enjoy it.
Just mentioning in case all else fails.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy